IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Except that Naturophathic doctors study homeopathy as actual medicine when they go to college. I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but I looked at several of the American natropathic colleges and studying homeopathy was at the top of the list for all of the ones I looked at. If studying snake oil is a big part of their medical training then that is a huge red flag that people should avoid them and see real doctors. 

Jill is probably dying inside if Hosanna refused to have her wedding put on TV. How many times will she "drop by" the Plath house trying to shove herself in front of a camera? How long till the Plath's end their friendship because they realize Jill only wants to use them for fame? 

There were quite a few pictures posted of Hosanna’s wedding and I didn’t see a single large camera in the background of any. I’m pretty positive TLC didn’t tape her wedding. This is only a 6 episode series so far. I doubt they even filmed the family for all that long. They are likely testing the waters to see if they should do more episodes in the future. I’m thinking this will end up being a one off for the Plath’s.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Themanda Duggar said:

They go to naturopathic college, and I believe they have to have a 4 year college degree first. 

Kim does not have a 4-year degree. She dropped out of college and (used to) feel bad about it. 

• Upvote 9

I worked with a Naturopath once, he was full of a lot of woo. As a RN I found him to be very pro supplement and herb based, and not very science based.  I also have found through the years that someone who goes by Dr. , usually is not a MD, but wants you to think they are. This guy would introduce himself a "Hi, I'm Dr. Woo Woo." To everyone, including colleagues and random people.

• Upvote 18
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 4

If the Plaths do end up with a regular show, I think they will definitely have to "unfriend" Jill.  I don't really remember ever seeing much about the two families being all that friendly with each other, just Nurie and Hosanna.  Maybe they are closer than I realize, but I don't think they will be able to handle Jill's craziness if she thinks they can get her on TV.

• Upvote 3

How did Nurie and Hosanna become friends? The Rods travel around and the families don't live near each other, both home school, the Rods don't seem to go to any IFB conventions (big sandy, northwoods, etc) I've been trying to figure out the connection for awhile and I haven't found the answer. (It could be in FJ threads and I could have missed it, sorry)

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

How did Nurie and Hosanna become friends? The Rods travel around and the families don't live near each other, both home school, the Rods don't seem to go to any IFB conventions (big sandy, northwoods, etc) I've been trying to figure out the connection for awhile and I haven't found the answer. (It could be in FJ threads and I could have missed it, sorry)

I believe they met through a Pearl get together a few years ago. They have definitely stopped at the Plath home to visit when they go down south to Florida in the RV. I’ve always assumed Kim just tolerates Jill for the most part. While it’s possible the kids enjoy each other’s company more. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe they met through a Pearl get together a few years ago. They have definitely stopped at the Plath home to visit when they go down south to Florida in the RV. I’ve always assumed Kim just tolerates Jill for the most part. While it’s possible the kids enjoy each other’s company more. 

AH! the Pearls, I keep trying to push them out of my head so I didn't think of them being the connection but that does make sense! Thank you

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

AH! the Pearls, I keep trying to push them out of my head so I didn't think of them being the connection but that does make sense! Thank you

I think it’s likely where Olivia and Ethan met too. 

Heres the thing about the Pearls. I think they actually attract a variety of fundie types. So some fundies may be more skirts only ATI types while others might be wine drinking shorts wearing types. But they are likely all fundies.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

That's the other thing. When Kim and I were talking on the regular she loathed the Pearls because she's super conservative and controlling but she never ever ever advocated spanking. Never. Does anybody remember Jeri of Gentle Christian Mothers? That was more Kim's speed. I was shocked when I saw she was associating with them (and even endorsed that book????) so either she's changed in her belief system about gentle parenting or she's a sell out. Or both.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

38 minutes ago, SinkDweller said:

That's the other thing. When Kim and I were talking on the regular she loathed the Pearls because she's super conservative and controlling but she never ever ever advocated spanking. Never. Does anybody remember Jeri of Gentle Christian Mothers? That was more Kim's speed. I was shocked when I saw she was associating with them (and even endorsed that book????) so either she's changed in her belief system about gentle parenting or she's a sell out. Or both.

Maybe she ignores the whole baby beating thing. I think a lot of fundies do this. They will completely ignore one thing they totally disagree with from other fundies just because they agree on everything else. That’s how these fundie groups intermingle. Vision Forum and ATI had some different beliefs but a lot of those fundies mixed socially. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s likely where Olivia and Ethan met too. 

I read somewhere(sorry can't remember where) that Olivia and Ethan met at a conference/convention. I think a homeschooling one. 

I don't know how they met but I think Hosanna was a pen pals with Nurie. Kim mentions in one of the videos on their website that Hosanna writes to many pen pal friends.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

20 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

What worries me are all the nutcases naturopathy seems to attract, from vegan anti-vaxxers to right wing end-of-the-world militia. And of course fundies too cheap to pay for medical care or too defiant to trust in it. 

Case in point of the latter example would be Maureen Kennedy Salaman   , who in addition to being an alternative health advocate , had been one of the founding members , and Vice Presidential nominee of the Populist Party .  She was rather influential among right-wing inclined fundamentalists , such as my late maternal grandmother , for whatever reason  .  

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Regarding #1 - it could be scripted, but the coke scene looks like it was recorded on a cell phone and it was after Ethan was married.  In another scene, Olivia is filming Moriah eating cotton candy... it makes me think Olivia took the home footage of the coke.  Now, it’s still possible she was put up to that, but it’s not as scripted appearing as the other shows like 19K where mom and dad are hanging out in a bedroom and Jill comes in and wants to go across the world “out of the blue”.

I rewatched the preview for the show and agree with you on the coke being recorded on a cell phone and the producers pushing the cotton candy scenario. There were definitely scenes in 19 Kids and Counting that were scripted like Jill wanting to fly to Nepal and the beginning of Jessa and Ben's courtship. But the whole Olivia is the reason our family is falling apart situation seems a little scripted.

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There were quite a few pictures posted of Hosanna’s wedding and I didn’t see a single large camera in the background of any. I’m pretty positive TLC didn’t tape her wedding. This is only a 6 episode series so far. I doubt they even filmed the family for all that long. They are likely testing the waters to see if they should do more episodes in the future. I’m thinking this will end up being a one off for the Plath’s.

Hosanna just got married recently and no photos showed a camera crew. However, it does seem possible that they were just completing filming around the time of the wedding. Maybe Hosanna and Timothy requested the wedding not be filmed for TV. But, it would not surprise me if Hosanna and Timothy did make an appearance during the show at some point whether it be in interviews or a cameo.

• Upvote 2

My children, who attend public school and play Fortnite, have also never had carbonated soda and wouldn’t have any idea who Justin Bieber Or Tom Brady are(I just asked them).  We aren’t very interested in sports or teenage pop singers.  And after the money I just spent on dental work I’m perfectly okay without soda(we just don’t like it; it’s not forbidden).  

I wonder if I can get my own TLC show now.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

24 minutes ago, sableduck said:

My children, who attend public school and play Fortnite, have also never had carbonated soda and wouldn’t have any idea who Justin Bieber Or Tom Brady are(I just asked them).  We aren’t very interested in sports or teenage pop singers.  And after the money I just spent on dental work I’m perfectly okay without soda(we just don’t like it; it’s not forbidden).  

I wonder if I can get my own TLC show now.

My oldest has tasted pop and he hates it. He also hates bubble gum and peanut butter. He’s picky as hell. I don’t think my younger son has tasted pop. He heard it was disgusting from his older brother so he never tried it. He’s also never had gum for the same reason. They are in pre k and first grade. 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Radish said:

I read somewhere(sorry can't remember where) that Olivia and Ethan met at a conference/convention. I think a homeschooling one. 

I don't know how they met but I think Hosanna was a pen pals with Nurie. Kim mentions in one of the videos on their website that Hosanna writes to many pen pal friends.

IIRC, the Pearls put on a conference at their farm each year or every other year. But I can't find it on their website (Now I need to scrub my browser. ick). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

IIRC, the Pearls put on a conference at their farm each year or every other year. But I can't find it on their website (Now I need to scrub my browser. ick). 

Yes, they do. I imagine that’s where Jill meets a lot of their friends. I don’t know if Jill goes every year. But I believe she’s gone in the past. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe she ignores the whole baby beating thing. I think a lot of fundies do this. They will completely ignore one thing they totally disagree with from other fundies just because they agree on everything else. That’s how these fundie groups intermingle. Vision Forum and ATI had some different beliefs but a lot of those fundies mixed socially. 

How's that work for intermarriage?

It doesn't.

This was nice of Olivia. I honestly see nothing wrong or sinful in going to a Carrie Underwood concert. But I imagine the Plath’s don’t agree.

420AB86C-0A0B-43F7-B472-9ED238D4BE70.jpeg

• Upvote 14

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This was nice of Olivia. I honestly see nothing wrong or sinful in going to a Carrie Underwood concert. But I imagine the Plath’s don’t agree.

I know my parents would have been livid if I went to a "rock" concert at 16 with my belly showing (rock music being anything with a set of drums). 

I can see why there's a rift in the family. Moriah is still a minor under her parents' authority and Olivia is intentionally influencing her in ways they don't approve of. Good for her, but also not surprising she's facing backlash.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

I know my parents would have been livid if I went to a "rock" concert at 16 with my belly showing (rock music being anything with a set of drums). 

I can see why there's a rift in the family. Moriah is still a minor under her parents' authority and Olivia is intentionally influencing her in ways they don't approve of. Good for her, but also not surprising she's facing backlash.

My mom is pretty religious and she let me go to a concert with my older sister when I was 16. I have always been a very modest dresser due to poor body image. But if I had somehow mustered up the confidence to wear a shirt that showed a little belly, my mom would have  shamed the hell out of me. But what Moriah is wearing is extremely typical clothing for girls her age. Well, I should say her pants are outdated. Girls her age wear high waisted jeans. So no belly would be showing. But showing your belly is no big deal for a lot of teens.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Girls her age wear high waisted jeans.

Why in the hell did this come back in fashion? I mean seriously, these types of pants look like the wearer has a long ass and no waist what so ever! Gotta love how some fashion comes back again. :pb_rollseyes:

I think Moriah looks cute. She is wearing what my 15 year old and her friends seem to wear. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Why in the hell did this come back in fashion? I mean seriously, these types of pants look like the wearer has a long ass and no waist what so ever! Gotta love how some fashion comes back again. :pb_rollseyes:

I think Moriah looks cute. She is wearing what my 15 year old and her friends seem to wear. 

Lol, I don’t do high waisted jeans since they are uncomfortable. But Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera started the low waist jeans trend back in the early 2000s. I was a college student then and sported some very low jeans. So low my butt crack hung out when I bent over! Muffin tops were also on full display at times. Mid rise jeans and high waist jeans are more in style now. The positives are butt cracks and muffin tops will happen less with mid rise and high waisted jeans. It shows that Moriah has likely been sheltered and she probably really wants to be on trend, but isn’t completely sure of all the current teen trends. Because those jeans look like jeans a 16 year old would wear 10 years ago. I’m not picking on her at all. I just know what I see everyday from the high school kids. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom is pretty religious and she let me go to a concert with my older sister when I was 16. I have always been a very modest dresser due to poor body image. But if I had somehow mustered up the confidence to wear a shirt that showed a little belly, my mom would have  shamed the hell out of me. But what Moriah is wearing is extremely typical clothing for girls her age. Well, I should say her pants are outdated. Girls her age wear high waisted jeans. So no belly would be showing. But showing your belly is no big deal for a lot of teens.

yeah. higher waisted jeans and crop tops

• Upvote 1

The Plath children were all raised under the same roof with the same values, but just like any family, no two kids are alike - they differ in temperament, from pious and dutiful to adventure-seeking and fun-loving. Almost a year ago, the oldest Plath, Ethan, married Olivia, whose open perspective and worldliness helped establish a contrasting set of rules for their household. They allow sugar, television, alcohol and social media, and are more exposed to different lifestyles and viewpoints. And while Ethan is enjoying being introduced to new things daily, it has resulted in tension between the households as this more modern lifestyle is influencing Ethan's siblings.

The older children are starting to find their independence. 18-year-old Micah can come and go as he pleases, and he often visits Ethan and Olivia with 17-year-old Moriah, who has always craved more freedom and feels like the outcast of the family. Moriah finds a friend in Olivia, who is happy to widen her horizons. Both Moriah and Micah want to experience what the world has to offer, especially after seeing the life that Olivia and Ethan have created for themselves. Kim and Barry are challenged with trying to maintain a connection with Micah and Moriah while still protecting their younger kids from any outside, disruptive influence. But as they see the more modern world moving in, they're forced to deal with the consequences of a family that's changing faster than it ever has before.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/TLC-Announces-New-Series-WELCOME-TO-PLATHVILLE-20191016  

• Thank You 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic