IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

20 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

I saw on Reddit that Olivia follows a JRod parody Instagram account! How funny - a fellow fundie snarker. I wonder if she’s here too. 

The Plath’s were brought to our attention on FJ due to Jrod. Jrod is one of the most heavily followed fundies on FJ and she’s introduced us to so many other fundies it’s crazy. Think of all the crazy fundie families we will never know about because they don’t have an online presence! It makes me sad. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, Firebird said:

@Cheetah that black and white thinking is very common in religious fundamentalism. It is often encouraged. They view gray area as Satan.

It also falls under thought control .  

1. Require members to internalize the group’s doctrine as truth 
   a. Adopting the group's ‘map of reality’ as reality 
   b. Instill black and white thinking 
   c. Decide between good vs. evil 
   d. Organize people into us vs. them (insiders vs. outsiders)

http://old.freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Think of all the crazy fundie families we will never know about because they don’t have an online presence! It makes me sad. 

This is why ex fundies are called out for being harsh sometimes imo: the bitterness of living it firsthand in the uglier forms that exist offline, too strange to be acceptable to mainstream audiences, and having a youth wasted is hard to get over. But being that upset over something that looks innocent like the Duggars or Bates is less understandable so the anger seems misplaced, but it's sooo justified.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I thought that Olivia’s surprise birthday party for Mariah was controlling and manipulative. Ethan might have married his mother.

• Upvote 3

I liked it when Micah said he did not want to save his first kiss for marriage,like his parents.He said that was too conservative.

I guess that Christmas,Easter,Halloween celebrations were too pagan for them.I don't get no Thanksgiving,either.It made me feel sad for those kids.

I do think that TLC stages things to create drama and increase their ratings.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I dunno.I think Kim is a big fat fundie and I think she is Michelle Duggar over the top. I also think Olivia is very into the "fuck you" to Kim and Barry.  Not sure why Ethan was attractive to her.He seems dumb. Perhaps she took him on as a project.

The beers at the party? Unnecessary, and a FU to the Plath parents..

• Upvote 3

I can’t really blame her for taking a break. This is what happens when you do reality tv. Even if you do the most wholesome show in the world, there will be people shitting on you online. Growing up fundie definitely doesn’t prepare you for tons of online hate and negativity. Hopefully she can develop a thick skin that is always needed for reality tv long term. If not, there’s nothing wrong with completely walking away from it. I’m sure TLC will approach them for another season. I wonder what Olivia will decide. 

A23A42B8-E304-494B-B8B1-645258FE3625.jpeg

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

35 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t really blame her for taking a break. This is what happens when you do reality tv. Even if you do the most wholesome show in the world, there will be people shitting on you online. Growing up fundie definitely doesn’t prepare you for tons of online hate and negativity. Hopefully she can develop a thick skin that is always needed for reality tv long term. If not, there’s nothing wrong with completely walking away from it. I’m sure TLC will approach them for another season. I wonder what Olivia will decide. 

A23A42B8-E304-494B-B8B1-645258FE3625.jpeg

I believe Olivia has said that her and Ethan would refuse to do the show if it was picked up for another season.  They've decided it wasn't worth it.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

I believe Olivia has said that her and Ethan would refuse to do the show if it was picked up for another season.  They've decided it wasn't worth it.

I could definitely see the show going on without them. I think Moriah, Micah, Kim, and Barry could do a second season with just Moriah and Micah starting out on their own. But I think it won’t be as interesting without Ethan and Olivia.

• Upvote 5

Reading through the comments under her post, she says that TLC didnt want to do the show unless Olivia and Ethan were on it and that they only agreed to do the show because Kim said that they would then be allowed to see Ethans siblings again. That’s really  fucked up that they were manipulated into the show just so that Ethan was allowed to see his siblings again and makes me hate the parents even more. She’s also said that they chose not to film with Hosanna because they could only handle so many people against them. For their sake, I hope a second season doesn’t happen. 

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
Riffles
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Reading through the comments under her post, she says that TLC didnt want to do the show unless Olivia and Ethan were on it and that they only agreed to do the show because Kim said that they would then be allowed to see Ethans siblings again. That’s really  fucked up that they we’re manipulated into the show just so that Ethan was showed to see his siblings again and makes me hate the parents even more. She’s also said that they chose not to film with Hosanna because they could only handle so many people against them. For their sake, I hope a second season doesn’t happen. 

But what makes it all messier is that Moriah and Micah probably want a second season. They likely would want to be in the entertainment business and probably see a second season as furthering their careers. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

17 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Reading through the comments under her post, she says that TLC didnt want to do the show unless Olivia and Ethan were on it and that they only agreed to do the show because Kim said that they would then be allowed to see Ethans siblings again. That’s really  fucked up that they we’re manipulated into the show just so that Ethan was showed to see his siblings again and makes me hate the parents even more. She’s also said that they chose not to film with Hosanna because they could only handle so many people against them. For their sake, I hope a second season doesn’t happen. 

I was just reading this on IG. I had no idea Hosanna was that bad. Is that really why she wasn’t on 

Who’s the narcissist she keeps talking about-Kim? I thought the Kim-Olivia drama was mostly for the cameras but this post makes me think it’s more real

3 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Who’s the narcissist she keeps talking about-Kim? I thought the Kim-Olivia drama was mostly for the cameras but this post makes me think it’s more real

Kim is a walking billboard for narcissism 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

I was just reading this on IG. I had no idea Hosanna was that bad. Is that really why she wasn’t on 

Hosanna’s best friend is Nurie Rodrigues. That says a lot about Hosanna. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Hosanna is absolutely the golden child (since taken over by Lydia). Remember in the intro they say that the family joke is that Hosanna is perfect. I've since learned that they got the show based on their Quiverfull documentary and that Kim badly wanted to do the show thinking everyone would realize that they are the best parents ever with the best kids and everyone else is doing it wrong. I don't think it turned out the way she thought it would. Also they weren't allowed to watch any of the show until it was complete and by then, of course, they didn't have any say. I am very curious whether or not Kim will agree to do it again. She also thought it would be a great advertisement for their band and then the band wasn't even featured. She's not responding to family phone calls/texts so we don't really know how she is doing. And she is not as close to her family as Barry is to his.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I finally got through the entire thread. I was introduced to the show by my sister. I have a lot of thoughts about the show.

—The Plaths were trying so hard in the beginning to hide that they are fundamentalists but a quick internet session and keying in on the dog whistles knocked down that veneer. Don’t play stupid we know the real reason why you don’t want your kids in Cali and it’s not school work. They then say that it’s because there’s drugs there as if they don’t live less than an hour away from Florida Man himself. Human trafficking is an issue everywhere. Barry your homophobia is showing. Also they don’t need to live in Georgia after all because we all know what goes down in the ATL. 

—Kim is a huge bully that throws stones and hides her hands. She is clueless about why her relationship with Olivia is so bad but anyone with common sense can see why. She was very critical of Olivia’s choice in everything including toothpaste (who cares as long as it works).Kim urged Ethan to break up with Olivia.  She made a huge stink about Olivia’s choice to serve alcohol at her wedding. Kim and Barry disrespect and talk down on her character on national television. Olivia is actually being quite respectful despite being shown none from the jump. I think the only thing stopping her from fully going off is her attempt to be respectful to her husband’s mother. She’s also a dick for not allowing her son to see some of the only  friends he was allowed to have. Mind you this is how she acts with cameras following her. What does she do when they are not rolling?

—Kim wonders why her kids are leaving the way they were raised and that’s because it sucks balls through a broken bendy straw. Just so we’re clear these kids have missed out on holidays, extracurricular activities, two decades of music, sugar (yes they celebrate birthdays but now imagine the cake with no sugar), fairs, movies, knowing scholarships exist, and alcohol. 

—Ethan also acts on par for being raised this way. The Duggar and Bates children are not even sheltered this badly and we discuss how stunted maturity wise they are. He literally has not experienced much of anything and they things that he has experienced has been for a short time.  Ethan and Olivia bond over being raised the same way. 

—Moriah acts like the typical teenager. They’re not perfect, they’re messy, and they don’t drop gems of knowledge every time they speak.  Good for her getting out. Yes Moriah needs to help with chores but so does Kim.

—My sister and I were raised by strict parents. We were talking amongst ourself and we were not as happy as the Plath kids to have our parents leave glean from that what you will. 

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 1

On 12/7/2019 at 6:35 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

We weren’t even allowed to go downstairs to LOOK at the presents on Christmas morning until 7am and our parents had to be with us. We had so many Christmas morning rules!

OK.Christmas morning at my Catholic House: Get up, go downstairs, eat breakfast, get dressed, and walk through the living room, where  the presents are piled,to the car...to go to Mass... only after Mass do we get to open presents....

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

OK.Christmas morning at my Catholic House: Get up, go downstairs, eat breakfast, get dressed, and walk through the living room, where  the presents are piled,to the car...to go to Mass... only after Mass do we get to open presents....

That would have KILLED me as a kid! I grew up Baptist and “Christmas church” was usually the Christmas Eve service. 

• Upvote 1

In my in-law's family, they had to wait until after Christmas dinner to open presents, and Christmas dinner usually started at 7PM and lasted a LONG time. The more important the occasion, the more desserts my MIL would serve. Christmas was usually a 5-dessert affair. And once the unwrapping started, everyone got one present at a time, and the entire family had to ooh and aah over it before we moved onto the next one.

We never got downstairs to open presents until 10 or 11 PM. When my husband and I had kids, I told him we weren't going to do things that way. Making kids wait so long on Christmas is cruel and unusual punishment. When I was a kid, it was a free-for-all, in case you couldn't already tell.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Omg I just remembered something funny. 

My parents finished a room in the basement for my sister when she was about 11? The rest of us all had bedrooms on the second floor. At 7am on the dot, my dad would call down to my sister’s bedroom in the basement (remember dialing your own number then hanging up to make it ring all the phones?) and would tell her the exact moment she was allowed to come upstairs while we all came down from the second floor. My dad was so weird, lol. He said he had to see all of our faces when we first saw the gifts under the tree. My dad lives for a big reveal. He should have been Monty Hall.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 8

One of the smartest things my mom ever did was create a tradition where there was one unwrapped present under the tree that we were allowed to play with while the parents got to sleep in a tiny bit more (since we'd be up at like 4 or 5!). It's a tradition I continued with my own kids and the judicious choice of present definitely means you get more time to recover from staying up late filling stockings!

Also people keep bringing up that Kim is critical of toothpaste choices and this is because she is deeply, virulently anti-fluoride (did you see the big water filter thingie in their kitchen?). Obviously anti-vax but most concerning, anti-sunscreen but super pro-sun, which means all those white blonde kids are likely in for some trouble when they're older.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 3

2 minutes ago, SinkDweller said:

One of the smartest things my mom ever did was create a tradition where there was one unwrapped present under the tree that we were allowed to play with while the parents got to sleep in a tiny bit more (since we'd be up at like 4 or 5!). It's a tradition I continued with my own kids and the judicious choice of present definitely means you get more time to recover from staying up late filling stockings!

Also people keep bringing up that Kim is critical of toothpaste choices and this is because she is deeply, virulently anti-fluoride (did you see the big water filter thingie in their kitchen?). Obviously anti-vax but most concerning, anti-sunscreen but super pro-sun, which means all those white blonde kids are likely in for some trouble when they're older.

My husband is fair skinned and has scars all over his body because kids didn’t wear sunscreen in the 70s and 80s. He even has a large scar on his face thanks to all the sun he got. Now he slathers on sunscreen all summer. My kids got their first sun burn this summer because I missed a spot on their lower backs when applying sunscreen. I felt so guilty. 

• I Agree 1

I thought it was heartbreaking when Moriah realized that:

1) college scholarships existed and that maybe she didn’t have to go into so much debt like her parents told her would happen if she went to college;

and

2) immediate recognized that she was disadvantaged by her parents isolating her when the admissions lady talked about scholarships for things like school clubs, team sports, and other extracurriculars. 

She looked devastated, but more importantly so hurt and betrayed that her parents lifestyle had inadvertently made things harder for her. 

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 1

@JermajestyDuggar
@Ash
@Four is Enough
@SinkDweller

Why aren't you all posting on the The Great FJ 2019 Holiday Thread?  We've moved past Thanksgiving and now the conversation is on Christmas.

Anyway, my mom has a great picture of me and my younger brother and sister all asleep on the couch.  We'd gotten up at some insane hour waiting for the early morning free-for-all when everyone was up and we'd all tear open our presents at the same time.  But time dragged on and we fell asleep.

@SinkDweller
@JermajestyDuggar

Don't go overboard with the sunscreen.  That's not to say that you should allow your kids to get sunburned, but Vitamin D deficiency is on the rise and it's not pretty.  I'm a living example of that.  Being fair-skinned, I was aware of the damage that sunburns can do, but I went too far to stay out of the sun, so I avoided the sun as much as possible.  

I got pretty sick, having to use a walker and realizing that I'd soon need a wheelchair.  My kids, all adults by this time, were put in the position of supporting me, helping me hide my condition from others as much as possible, and begging me to get help.  I finally came around and stopped waiting for things to get better, and applied for state assistance.  It took over a year and then I was accepted and got to see a doctor.  It took a few weeks to figure out what was going on, and I'm now on Vitamin D supplements.  Things are improving, slower than I'd like, but much faster than it took for me to get to my lowest point.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic