IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

18 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I know my parents would have been livid if I went to a "rock" concert at 16 with my belly showing (rock music being anything with a set of drums). 

I can see why there's a rift in the family. Moriah is still a minor under her parents' authority and Olivia is intentionally influencing her in ways they don't approve of. Good for her, but also not surprising she's facing backlash.

Just how sheltered were you , if you don't mind my asking ?  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom is pretty religious and she let me go to a concert with my older sister when I was 16. I have always been a very modest dresser due to poor body image. But if I had somehow mustered up the confidence to wear a shirt that showed a little belly, my mom would have  shamed the hell out of me. But what Moriah is wearing is extremely typical clothing for girls her age. Well, I should say her pants are outdated. Girls her age wear high waisted jeans. So no belly would be showing. But showing your belly is no big deal for a lot of teens.

I'm reminded though of this scene from an episode of 7th Heaven .  

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1

My parents were controlling as hell into my early 20's. The first time I went to a concert alone I was 23-24? My mother shit her pants when I told her where I was going (mind you, I had just gotten out of a long term relationship and had 2 kids). 

She didn't approve of concerts until hub and I took her to see Styx. Then she was fine with them (I was somewhere between 35 and 40 at the time). 

Thank God there wasn't any goofy religious shit mixed in with the control and narcissism...I'd be more fucked in the head than I am. 

• Upvote 11

There was another child,Joshua.He died in a tragic accident,in 2008 or 2009.I think he was about 17 months or so.

Kim had him outside with her,somehow lost track of him,and accidently ran over him.

Tragic.

• Sad 9

@Pleiades_06, my theory about all the fundie shows on TLC: In the US, Christianity seems to be the “default” religion, and a great many of the more conservative US Christians want to see shows about “Christians who are doing it better than we are.”

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 2

On 10/23/2019 at 3:52 PM, Marmion said:

I'm reminded though of this scene from an episode of 7th Heaven .  

YES. You nailed it. 

Although  this show was the biggest piece of shit on TV when it was on. I hated it-all the beautiful houses and affluence and catchy music hiding the misogyny and hate.

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

YES. You nailed it. 

Although  this show was the biggest piece of shit on TV when it was on. I hated it-all the beautiful houses and affluence and catchy music hiding the misogyny and hate.

It really was garbage. I hate watched it on occasion. When I had a strong stomach. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, Marmion said:

Just how sheltered were you , if you don't mind my asking ?  

He's a bit annoying. I think I'm older than his target demographic, but I did get 22 points. Maybe more because we didn't actually have a tv for most of my childhood and then when we did it was for movies ONLY, and then ONLY G rated, and then probably black and white … Yeah. So thankful for time at my great grandma's (I watched a LOT of tv there - hello Full House and Saved By the Bell ) and my next door neighbors, otherwise I'd be so clueless about most pop culture from the 80/s and 90s.

The part about swearing made me laugh. We couldn't say gosh, geez, darn, etc. b/c those were just cheating for the "real" words like god, jesus and damn. Heck was a no. HOWEVER, if a person in an British movie said "hell" or even "bloody hell" it was ok because "that's how they talk"... WTF, mom and dad. HAHA. Now I swear like a bloody sailor.

Edited by Blessings of the Corn
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

36 minutes ago, Blessings of the Corn said:

He's a bit annoying. I think I'm older than his target demographic, but I did get 22 points. Maybe more because we didn't actually have a tv for most of my childhood and then when we did it was for movies ONLY, and then ONLY G rated, and then probably black and white … Yeah. So thankful for time at my great grandma's (I watched a LOT of tv there - hello Full House and Saved By the Bell ) and my next door neighbors, otherwise I'd be so clueless about most pop culture from the 80/s and 90s.

The part about swearing made me laugh. We couldn't say gosh, geez, darn, etc. b/c those were just cheating for the "real" words like god, jesus and damn. Heck was a no. HOWEVER, if a person in an British movie said "hell" or even "bloody hell" it was ok because "that's how they talk"... WTF, mom and dad. HAHA. Now I swear like a bloody sailor.

Fart was a cuss word in our house growing up. We had to say “pass gas or stinker.” ?‍♀️

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

One of my former bosses said that as a kid, she was only allowed to say “boom-boom” instead of fart.(And I was almost an adult before I found out there were “nicer” alternatives.)

• Haha 10

Just watched the Plathville sneak peak on YouTube. I commented something similar on the Andrea Mills thread, so forgive me if you read it there, but it’s amazing how fundies ruin everything. The no junk food/ no fizzy drinks/natural life style that I admire suddenly becomes a total turn off because of who is promoting it.

The worst part is that is exactly what draws me in-I think, “oh cool, no junk/farm/organic living. I want to learn more!” And then then the fundies start acting fundie... 

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

I watched the first episode and did a half-assed recap. 

Spoiler

Lydia is the 'responsible one' and when asked what she likes to do for fun, she says she doesn't know.

Moriah is obviously the black sheep of the family. Her sisters comment on how she's more interested in music and makeup. 

Hosanna is mentioned in the show. She was offered a college scholarship for music, but her mom says "what does she need college for?" She now lives in Ohio with her husband. Hosanna and Lydia are definately favored over Moriah.
Ethan is the oldest and is married to Olivia. They live 10-15 miles away from Ethan's family and Ethan jokes that it's too close. They kissed before marriage it seems, so I guess the Plaths aren't one of those. Ethan talks about working outside the home at 18 and never heard cuss words before then. Olivia talks about how little Ethan knew about the outside world. She took him to his first basketball game and movie. They've been watching Friends lately. Ethan and Olivia drink alcohol, which has caused some tension. 

Barry (the father) works as a transportation planner in Tallahassee. Lydia is glad her parents home school, even if some of her siblings don't agree. There's tension between Lydia and Moriah, since Moriah doesn't help out with the house like Lydia thinks she should. Why Lydia seems to have all of this to do when it should be Kim's job is beyond me.
Ethan and Olivia are planning their honeymoon to Paris, France. Ethan buys some port wine (what??) to try and gets ice out. Olivia explains that white wine is drunk chilled, but red wine is drunk at room temp. Port wine probably wasn't the best choice if you're trying wine for the first time, imo. Olivia says that Kim didn't want Ethan to marry her bc she's too rebellious and worldly. Olivia wanted to have alcohol at the wedding and Kim threw a fit about it. Kim sounds like a complete monster in law and obviously looks down on Olivia. 

Isaac (13) built a little cabin with a hatchet. Barry helps finish it with a chainsaw and almost has a small tree fall on himself bc he apparently doesn't know basic safety. He makes a comment about Micah and Moriah spending more time with Ethan and Olivia. Moriah is working as Olivia's helper (Olivia is a wedding photographer). Olivia & Ethan take Moriah to buy a black dress for work. Ethan is excited to be in a boutique for the first time. Moriah talks about how her parents were upset with her when she went and bought jeans for the first time. She has a hard time picking out a black dress on her own and Olivia encourages to only get something she 100% likes. Ethan sees some nippies and is flabbergasted. He's kinda childish about it. 

Kim grew up as an only child with a single mother. Her mother was in an abusive relationship and would miss work sometimes because of the abuse. She was also an alcoholic. Kim and Barry are worried about the influence Ethan & Olivia have on Micah and Moriah. Olivia hired Moriah as an assistant even though she knows nothing about photography, since Olivia sees a lot of herself in Moriah. Moriah has a cell phone now and says she realizes how naive she is, but she doesn't want to stay that way. Olivia has wedding in San Francisco she's been hired for and Moriah wants to go, but she isn't sure if her parents will let her since "they don't agree with the culture of California." Moriah has never been on a plane before.

Kim is worried about San Francisco because of the drugs and human trafficking. The wedding would be paying for the flights. Moriah is behind on her schoolwork and Kim is worried about all that. Kim says that if Moriah gets caught up with school, then she can go. She puts it in writing on a random piece of paper.  

Idk if I'll do any more summaries after this ep, depends on if people are curious or not. I think Hosanna not really being on the show boils down to her location. She was in a few talking heads, so I think TLC just isn't interested in sending another camera crew to Ohio. If the show becomes successful, that might change. 

Olivia is obviously a villain in Barry & Kim's eyes. I do wonder how much is being played up for the camera, though. The fact that her and Ethan kissed before marriage and drink alcohol is very interesting. I honestly would get tired of Ethan's constant naivety and immaturity, but he does seem like a very nice and dependable guy. 

Kim saying that Hosanna didn't need college was very sad to me. We never heard Hosanna's thoughts on the matter, but Kim looking down on a college education was very telling.

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 21

18 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Hide contents

Lydia is the 'responsible one' and when asked what she likes to do for fun, she says she doesn't know.

Moriah is obviously the black sheep of the family. Her sisters comment on how she's more interested in music and makeup. 

Hosanna is mentioned in the show. She was offered a college scholarship for music, but her mom says "what does she need college for?" She now lives in Ohio with her husband. Hosanna and Lydia are definately favored over Moriah.
Ethan is the oldest and is married to Olivia. They live 10-15 miles away from Ethan's family and Ethan jokes that it's too close. They kissed before marriage it seems, so I guess the Plaths aren't one of those. Ethan talks about working outside the home at 18 and never heard cuss words before then. Olivia talks about how little Ethan knew about the outside world. She took him to his first basketball game and movie. They've been watching Friends lately. Ethan and Olivia drink alcohol, which has caused some tension. 

Barry (the father) works as a transportation planner in Tallahassee. Lydia is glad her parents home school, even if some of her siblings don't agree. There's tension between Lydia and Moriah, since Moriah doesn't help out with the house like Lydia thinks she should. Why Lydia seems to have all of this to do when it should be Kim's job is beyond me.
Ethan and Olivia are planning their honeymoon to Paris, France. Ethan buys some port wine (what??) to try and gets ice out. Olivia explains that white wine is drunk chilled, but red wine is drunk at room temp. Port wine probably wasn't the best choice if you're trying wine for the first time, imo. Olivia says that Kim didn't want Ethan to marry her bc she's too rebellious and worldly. Olivia wanted to have alcohol at the wedding and Kim threw a fit about it. Kim sounds like a complete monster in law and obviously looks down on Olivia. 

Isaac (13) built a little cabin with a hatchet. Barry helps finish it with a chainsaw and almost has a small tree fall on himself bc he apparently doesn't know basic safety. He makes a comment about Micah and Moriah spending more time with Ethan and Olivia. Moriah is working as Olivia's helper (Olivia is a wedding photographer). Olivia & Ethan take Moriah to buy a black dress for work. Ethan is excited to be in a boutique for the first time. Moriah talks about how her parents were upset with her when she went and bought jeans for the first time. She has a hard time picking out a black dress on her own and Olivia encourages to only get something she 100% likes. Ethan sees some nippies and is flabbergasted. He's kinda childish about it. 

Kim grew up as an only child with a single mother. Her mother was in an abusive relationship and would miss work sometimes because of the abuse. She was also an alcoholic. Kim and Barry are worried about the influence Ethan & Olivia have on Micah and Moriah. Olivia hired Moriah as an assistant even though she knows nothing about photography, since Olivia sees a lot of herself in Moriah. Moriah has a cell phone now and says she realizes how naive she is, but she doesn't want to stay that way. Olivia has wedding in San Francisco she's been hired for and Moriah wants to go, but she isn't sure if her parents will let her since "they don't agree with the culture of California." Moriah has never been on a plane before.

Kim is worried about San Francisco because of the drugs and human trafficking. The wedding would be paying for the flights. Moriah is behind on her schoolwork and Kim is worried about all that. Kim says that if Moriah gets caught up with school, then she can go. She puts it in writing on a random piece of paper.  

Idk if I'll do any more summaries after this ep, depends on if people are curious or not. I think Hosanna not really being on the show boils down to her location. She was in a few talking heads, so I think TLC just isn't interested in sending another camera crew to Ohio. If the show becomes successful, that might change. 

Olivia is obviously a villain in Barry & Kim's eyes. I do wonder how much is being played up for the camera, though. The fact that her and Ethan kissed before marriage and drink alcohol is very interesting. I honestly would get tired of Ethan's constant naivety and immaturity, but he does seem like a very nice and dependable guy. 

Kim saying that Hosanna didn't need college was very sad to me. We never heard Hosanna's thoughts on the matter, but Kim looking down on a college education was very telling.

Kim is obviously using Moriah getting behind in her homeschooling as an excuse since she said her other daughter didn’t need a free college education. 

Also it’s funny how we already knew all this stuff based off of Olivia’s Instagram. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the recap. I hate when people who went to college deny their children the same choice.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

12 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Thanks for the recap. I hate when people who went to college deny their children the same choice.

I don’t think she graduated though. Maybe her dropping out bothers her so she soothes her conscience by crapping on college.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

She didn't graduate, dropping out did bother her. Or at least it used to. She's always been very controlling about food. (edited because I had the wrong diet she used to follow, wich was a very strict biblical based vegan diet) She often talks about how her kids are never sick and this is very much a lie. One of the girls (I forget which) had alopecia for years, there have been other illnesses and Kim herself broke her ankle due to not getting calcium and being pregnant/breastfeeding for several years, which destroyed her bones. 

BTW, this is Barry's second marriage. Talk about scandal. 

The stuff about  her mom is true and it totally turned Kim against the world. I remember her telling me she would NEVER EVER EVER let a non-Christian man have any authority over her children and I was like, Kim, my mom was molested by a pastor. She was shocked. Note last I checked she was still FB friends with Alan Smith.

Edited by SinkDweller
  • Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 9

27 minutes ago, SinkDweller said:

She didn't graduate, dropping out did bother her. Or at least it used to. She's always been very controlling about food. (edited because I had the wrong diet she used to follow, wich was a very strict biblical based vegan diet) She often talks about how her kids are never sick and this is very much a lie. One of the girls (I forget which) had alopecia for years, there have been other illnesses and Kim herself broke her ankle due to not getting calcium and being pregnant/breastfeeding for several years, which destroyed her bones. 

BTW, this is Barry's second marriage. Talk about scandal. 

The stuff about  her mom is true and it totally turned Kim against the world. I remember her telling me she would NEVER EVER EVER let a non-Christian man have any authority over her children and I was like, Kim, my mom was molested by a pastor. She was shocked. Note last I checked she was still FB friends with Alan Smith.

Does Barry have any kids from his first marriage? And if so, are they in contact with the Plath’s?

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Does Barry have any kids from his first marriage? And if so, are they in contact with the Plath’s?

He does not. His parents are regular Christian. I have no idea what they think of Kim but she is so difficult that it's hard for me to believe that they enjoy her but maybe they do. Whatever she might say about patriarchy, Kim runs that family.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

Olivia might represent worldliness to the Plaths but she had a sheltered childhood pretty similar to Ethan's, which is probably what brought them closer together.

This Christian documentary was filmed a few years ago when Olivia was 19 and showcases their family. We discussed it in the SMorton thread because the Campanas are in there too. I timed the link below to start with the Meggs family, but the whole thing is pretty fascinating.

It reveals a lot about the Meggs - 10 kids, homesteading, homeschooling, homechurching family in southwest Virginia. They seem relaxed about the girls' clothing but they do all wear dresses at church. The older girls are in charge of cooking and meal planning. Olivia speaks about "obedience" to her parents and how her siblings keep her accountable. The family sings bluegrass in churches. It all sounds very similar to the Plaths to be honest!!

In fact Olivia's older brother Elijah is in a very traditional fundie marriage to Faith Grubb. Faith had an infamous blog post on submission that was also discussed somewhere on FJ. Her family's band is called "The Full Quiver" for Pete's sake. Elijah and Faith are dirt poor with 2 small children, their house/cabin burnt down last year, and he had no career training or job so he's trying to join the army. This lifestyle doesn't come out of nowhere - he was obviously raised by his parents to hold those beliefs on marriage and college.

I wonder when Olivia's freespirited personality started to take shape, and which path her other siblings have taken. I wonder how her parents have reacted to the changes and if she faces backlash and tension from her own family as well... I've been down that path myself and I'm just happy I didn't marry and ex-fundie boy, because backlash from 2 families would just be too much to handle. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 9

I joined a FB group for the show. So far nothing has been posted pre-show except introductions. I have a feeling there will be no snarking in this group and I will be forced to leave out of boredom, but I'll wait and see!

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

Olivia might represent worldliness to the Plaths but she had a sheltered childhood pretty similar to Ethan's, which is probably what brought them closer together.

This Christian documentary was filmed a few years ago when Olivia was 19 and showcases their family. We discussed it in the SMorton thread because the Campanas are in there too. I timed the link below to start with the Meggs family, but the whole thing is pretty fascinating.

It reveals a lot about the Meggs - 10 kids, homesteading, homeschooling, homechurching family in southwest Virginia. They seem relaxed about the girls' clothing but they do all wear dresses at church. The older girls are in charge of cooking and meal planning. Olivia speaks about "obedience" to her parents and how her siblings keep her accountable. The family sings bluegrass in churches. It all sounds very similar to the Plaths to be honest!!

In fact Olivia's older brother Elijah is in a very traditional fundie marriage to Faith Grubb. Faith had an infamous blog post on submission that was also discussed somewhere on FJ. Her family's band is called "The Full Quiver" for Pete's sake. Elijah and Faith are dirt poor with 2 small children, their house/cabin burnt down last year, and he had no career training or job so he's trying to join the army. This lifestyle doesn't come out of nowhere - he was obviously raised by his parents to hold those beliefs on marriage and college.

I wonder when Olivia's freespirited personality started to take shape, and which path her other siblings have taken. I wonder how her parents have reacted to the changes and if she faces backlash and tension from her own family as well... I've been down that path myself and I'm just happy I didn't marry and ex-fundie boy, because backlash from 2 families would just be too much to handle. 

Her older brother Elijah is married to Faith as we know and he is in the military. Her older sister Elise is married without children and her husband is a new police officer. I don’t know much about her unmarried older brother Joshua. Her younger sister Lydia has a public Instagram. She does still seem to be fundie but dresses in bikinis and short shorts. Two more of her younger siblings graduated from homeschool and I don’t know what their plans are. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, llg1234 said:

Hide contents

Thanks for the recap! Wow, now I’m thinking of J Rod and how she would react on her SM if Tim married someone like Olivia. I loved it when Olivia commented on J Rod’s post about Nurie’s super godly courtship.

IF Kim doesn’t like Olivia’s influence then why doesn’t she simply ban Moriah from working as an assistant? Money? She can’t have it both ways. 

I probably would have started Ethan off with a white wine, maybe take him to a sampling event. 

Kim has dumped her unresolved baggage from her childhood onto her kids. Not uncommon, but sad and unfair. 

I enjoyed the recap, thanks again. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

Thanks for the recap! Wow, now I’m thinking of J Rod and how she would react on her SM if Tim married someone like Olivia. I loved it when Olivia commented on J Rod’s post about Nurie’s super godly courtship.

IF Kim doesn’t like Olivia’s influence then why doesn’t she simply ban Moriah from working as an assistant? Money? She can’t have it both ways. 

I probably would have started Ethan off with a white wine, maybe take him to a sampling event. 

Kim has dumped her unresolved baggage from her childhood onto her kids. Not uncommon, but sad and unfair. 

I enjoyed the recap, thanks again. 

I think it’s very shitty that Moriah is the black sheep even though Ethan, Micah, and Moriah are not sticking to their parents’ strict rules. Kim seems to be doing incredibly sexist. She’s blaming Moriah and Olivia for everything. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic