IGNORED

Erin & Chad 6: Angling for a Vow Renewal Ceremony

GreyhoundFan

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think Kelly's sisters where adopted when she was a late teen (I wrote late teen, but I may be wrong. I read another post where it says they were adopted when Kelly was already married) and they and they were adopted by her mom&new husband. I'm not sure if after divorce Kelly lived with her mom or with her dad, but I suspect she was in better terms with her religious dad, and not very well with her mom. I understand the distance between them. And well... we all know about the Bates confederate room, so maybe Kelly wasn't happy about her sisters skin colour (this is speculation!). 

My understanding of the situation is a bit diferent, at least what i have read before is that Kellys mother only remarried a couple of years ago, the wedding was shown on the tvshow, she adopted them as a single mother (divorcee). When Kellys parents divorced she stayed with her mother and all her other siblings (who were a lot older than her) went to live with her father. I am pretty sure Kelly was already in college when her mother adopted her younger sisters, but i dont know if she was already married or not. In any case it kinda makes sense she didnt develop a close bound with them, and to be honest it seems her relationship with her own mother was a bit strained in the first seasons of the show before she remarried.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, marmalade said:

If she goes on HRT, does anyone know if there is a possibility that she could still conceive? I mean, before all this happened, Chad could practically breathe on Erin to knock her up. IOW, she's a fertile Myrtle.

I’m on HRT due to artificial menopause (it’s as strange as it sounds)... if she’s actually in menopause, then no, HRT will not make her conceive. HRT for me e.g. does not make me have a period. If she’s not in menopause yet, there is a chance, but having to take HRT definitely makes it quite unlikely to conceive, because it means her body is not producing enough of the hormones. However, I just read up on it, HRT does not necessarily prevent a pregnancy, but it also does not help it.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

I’m sorry but, you reap what you sew. 

Had Erin and her family taken precautions, I would’ve felt more sorry for her. But to continue to be so irresponsible during a pandemic, what do you expect? 

Hope more Bates and anti-maskers will wake up but sadly can’t see that happening. 

• Upvote 27
  • Move Along 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I’m sorry but, you reap what you sew. 

It's "reap what you sow," and refers to farming. You sow seeds, and reap the harvest.  If you use bad seeds, or sow them carelessly, you reap a bad harvest.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I am having a hard time being sympathetic for people who ignored widely published CDC guidelines. Yes, it's sad Erin lost her fertility. But, her own actions caused her to get COVID twice. Her reckless actions caused her infertility. 

Many people who get COVID are following the guidelines. They got it from someone who was not following them. How many people in her community got sick because of her family's reckless behavior?  How many people has her family killed because they refuse to follow the CDC guidelines?

I get how you feel. Some people are so careful and still get sick or even die, and it's heartbreaking. Then on the other end, there are these types- my in-laws have been completely irresponsible and have just done whatever they wanted for the past year. They would get annoyed with anyone in the family that were actually sticking to the guidelines. Now they are both vaccinated and while I'm happy they are healthy, it's like vindication for them that we should've all just relaxed. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 2

I also want to point out that it's possible Erin's ovarian cysts aren't COVID related. We don't know much about COVID and we're still learning. Erin could have ovarian cysts before and they were discovered while she was recovering from it. 

Of course getting COVID twice is irresponsible and so is potentially spreading it to innocent people. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I am having a hard time being sympathetic for people who ignored widely published CDC guidelines. Yes, it's sad Erin lost her fertility. But, her own actions caused her to get COVID twice. Her reckless actions caused her infertility. 

Maybe I missed it but how do we know that Erin got Covid from reckless behavior? Is it possible Chad brought it home or she picked it up at the grocery store?

We know that wearing wouldn't protect Erin anyway, for the most part. It would protect those around her. So maskless or not, she could have easily picked it up from a number of places.

Honestly, I didn't even know you could clearly identify how a person got covid, in most cases.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 5
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Thank You 1

30 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Maybe I missed it but how do we know that Erin got Covid from reckless behavior? Is it possible Chad brought it home or she picked it up at the grocery store?

We know that wearing wouldn't protect Erin anyway, for the most part. It would protect those around her. So maskless or not, she could have easily picked it up from a number of places.

Honestly, I didn't even know you could clearly identify how a person got covid, in most cases.

We don’t know that she got it from reckless behavior, but we do know that the family including her has engaged in reckless behavior, from e.g. Carlin’s Instagram and other social media. Of course, it is possible that she would have gotten it anyway, but their reckless behavior definitely improved their chances of getting it. Note how many people in the Bates family have gone public with having had Covid: more than in the general public (though I’m not completely clear about the incidence rates where they’re living). 

regarding masks: yes, clothes masks mainly protect others, not the wearer. Medical masks do protect the wearer as well, though. In addition, in my experience, people keep more of a distance wearing masks, so you have this indirect effect, possibly also because it’s more difficult to forget about Covid wearing a mask,

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, llucie said:

My understanding of the situation is a bit diferent, at least what i have read before is that Kellys mother only remarried a couple of years ago, the wedding was shown on the tvshow, she adopted them as a single mother (divorcee). When Kellys parents divorced she stayed with her mother and all her other siblings (who were a lot older than her) went to live with her father. I am pretty sure Kelly was already in college when her mother adopted her younger sisters, but i dont know if she was already married or not. In any case it kinda makes sense she didnt develop a close bound with them, and to be honest it seems her relationship with her own mother was a bit strained in the first seasons of the show before she remarried.

Kelly Jo's mother was married three times. The first time to Kelly Jo's father and that ended in divorce. Then she married again and that's the husband she mentions in the early seasons of the show and the reason she was looking for a ranch house with no stairs, as he was in bad health and had mobility issues at that point. After his death, she remarried again. The third husband passed away recently. 

Kelly Jo was the baby of her family and stayed with her mother after the divorce. The other children (Kay, Kim, and Kenneth Jr.) moved with the father. 

Per Tori's interview on a season 2 episode, "After Mom was married, her mom decided to adopt two kids." She states that Beth (the one whose wedding was on the show) is Erin's age. Michaela later says that their relationship is more like cousins than aunt and niece, as Beth is a year younger than her. So at least Beth had to be adopted after Kelly Jo was married. I don't know Becca/Beka's age. I don't know when she married her second husband, but he isn't mentioned in the discussions about the grandmother adopting. The wording from another episode says that she was lonely and adopted a newborn when she was 50 (Beka) and then a year later adopted Beth so that Beka wouldn't grow up alone. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 17

14 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Kelly Jo's mother was married three times. The first time to Kelly Jo's father and that ended in divorce. Then she married again and that's the husband she mentions in the early seasons of the show and the reason she was looking for a ranch house with no stairs, as he was in bad health and had mobility issues at that point. After his death, she remarried again. The third husband passed away recently. 

Kelly Jo was the baby of her family and stayed with her mother after the divorce. The other children (Kay, Kim, and Kenneth Jr.) moved with the father. 

Per Tori's interview on a season 2 episode, "After Mom was married, her mom decided to adopt two kids." She states that Beth (the one whose wedding was on the show) is Erin's age. Michaela later says that their relationship is more like cousins than aunt and niece, as Beth is a year younger than her. So at least Beth had to be adopted after Kelly Jo was married. I don't know Becca/Beka's age. I don't know when she married her second husband, but he isn't mentioned in the discussions about the grandmother adopting. The wording from another episode says that she was lonely and adopted a newborn when she was 50 (Beka) and then a year later adopted Beth so that Beka wouldn't grow up alone. 

Thanks. I remember watching the episode of her looking for a house but i though it was the same husband.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

Many people who get COVID are following the guidelines. They got it from someone who was not following them. How many people in her community got sick because of her family's reckless behavior?  How many people has her family killed because they refuse to follow the CDC guidelines?

I'm the same way. I know it's taboo, but I don't feel sorry for Erin. The Bates (and Duggars) have always been irresponsible with their fertility/put their health at risk with their pregnancies. And they've repeatedly flaunted Covid restrictions. As someone who is 8 months pregnant, their total disregard for this despite their pro-life stance sickens me. And as someone who has lost a father-in-law and grandfather-in-law to Covid, they're lucky no one's died. 

I'm also happy that they very likely won't have any more children. There I said it. I'm already bummed that Jessa is expecting #4 and that so far all of the Bates seem to be all in the Quiverfull mindset. I wish Erin had come to the conclusion herself that she should stop at 4. I would have rather she didn't have to suffer so much in order to stop at 4. But I can't pretend I don't approve of the results.

Erin had a clotting disorder and multiple premature births. They were playing with fire by pushing her body to have so many children in quick succession. The writing was on the wall that this wouldn't end well; at least no baby had to die in the process.

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

oooh I got my first ever “move along” reaction. Have I made it? ?

Only if it’s not from a troll.... lol oh then again maybe that does make it worthy lol 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

My family takes many precautions and always wear our masks in public. My 6 year old got covid from school. It’s the only place he could have gotten it because we go nowhere and do nothing (yes we are bored out of our minds). A boy in his class gave it to him even though they wear masks. Masks shift around on 6 year olds and sometimes they get closer than 6 feet. The class only had 9 kids in it at the time since they do hybrid. But somehow my son got it from his friend. That’s covid for ya!

Since we take many precautions, we know my son didn’t give covid to others. It stopped with us because of the precautions we take. He hasn’t left the house since he was exposed at school except to get a Covid test while sitting in our car. Somehow he hasn’t given it to us but we still quarantine. Just in case. We were wearing masks in the house and keeping our distance so maybe that helped him to not give it to us. 

I can’t imagine the feeling of knowing I could have spread covid all over my family with my carelessness and possibly caused my family member to become infertile because of it. The way these fundies justify their careless behavior is beyond my comprehension. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 28

40 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Only if it’s not from a troll.... lol oh then again maybe that does make it worthy lol 

I was also very happy to get my first Rufus Bless reaction a while ago. I wanna get that on a T-shirt. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I was also very happy to get my first Rufus Bless reaction a while ago. I wanna get that on a T-shirt. 

Is Rufus Bless a negative reaction? I usually give it in relation with the issue that is being commented, not saying "bless you" to the poster.

I don't know if it makes sense. Anyway, I hope nobody feels bad for Rufus. The "move along" reaction is completely different IMO.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Is Rufus Bless a negative reaction? I usually give it in relation with the issue that is being commented, not saying "bless you" to the poster.

I don't know if it makes sense. Anyway, I hope nobody feels bad for Rufus. The "move along" reaction is completely different IMO.

I honestly use it when a fundie does something where I think to myself, “bless that mess.” 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 13

19 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Willow's first birthday party in late July was a super-spreader event, based on all the videos that were posted of all the family members attending maskless and singing practically the entire time. They then all eventually announced that they'd had COVID in August, starting with Carlin and Evan. Josie and Erin later said that they'd also had it in August. We aren't sure when Erin got it the second time.

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 2

23 minutes ago, indianabones said:

Willow's first birthday party in late July was a super-spreader event, based on all the videos that were posted of all the family members attending maskless and singing practically the entire time. They then all eventually announced that they'd had COVID in August, starting with Carlin and Evan. Josie and Erin later said that they'd also had it in August. We aren't sure when Erin got it the second time.

That's scientific proof, then. Case closed. 

I understand it would be satisfying to some if Erin got Covid (and lost her fertility) while doing something bad. But it's equally possible she was simply a victim of bad luck. 

Erin's video was odd to me. She's talking about all this sad stuff, but smiling broadly the entire time. Are these girls trained to smiled under any circumstance? She also rushed to tell us how she feels blessed about having four kids, etc. God forbid anyone should think she's sad.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Fuck You 3
  • Downvote 6
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Are these girls trained to smiled under any circumstance?

Yes, it’s a Gothard teaching. Especially for females.

• Upvote 20

19 minutes ago, indianabones said:

I may have the dates wrong, but I think that between the first and second covid-round (or after both of them) Erin went to a diner with Lawson and some Duggars in a massive place full of unmasked people.  Based on her IG, she had already had at least 1 covid, bleedings and surgery. So we have a woman, having been really sick of covid, having lost her fertility for it (or at least, they suspect so) yet socializing with no mask? And Lawson was still denying covid? 

I really cannot cope with that. They are extremely nuts and extremely dangerous.

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I may have the dates wrong, but I think that between the first and second covid-round (or after both of them) Erin went to a diner with Lawson and some Duggars in a massive place full of unmasked people.  Based on her IG, she had already had at least 1 covid, bleedings and surgery. So we have a woman, having been really sick of covid, having lost her fertility for it (or at least, they suspect so) yet socializing with no mask? And Lawson was still denying covid? 

I really cannot cope with that. They are extremely nuts and extremely dangerous.

Here’s my issue. If you look at the Gothard fundies, from the beginning, they’ve been all about keeping their children and themselves sheltered. They would not expose their children to people they thought are too worldly. They wouldn’t send their children to school because of the people and ideas they would be exposed to. They are “set apart” from the mainstream world. So when it’s recommended that these people stay home, which is what a lot of them do anyway, they suddenly refuse. Their lives are set up so well for a pandemic because they already homeschool. They already keep their kids away from a lot of their kids in the community. They already make the wife stay at home. Many of them encourage the husbands not work for a boss so they can make their own schedules. The only thing that is a huge change for most of these fundies is church. And some of them home church anyway! These fundies obviously do whatever they please and don’t give a fuck about the consequences of their actions.

• Upvote 30

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

She probably assumed she couldn't get it again after having it once. A lot of science-believing, non-fundy people think that. (Wrongly, of course)

• Upvote 16

I don’t often delve into the goings on of the Bates family. But holy crap am I understanding this correctly that some of them have had COVID-19 twice?!

• Upvote 8

What I don't fully understand about the anti adoption mentality is 1) what do they think should happen with these kids, then? If "good " Christian couples shouldn't adopt them because of their inherent sin, then who should adopt them? Or what else should be done with them? 2) If the kids' sins are so ireedemable that it makes them unadoptable by decent folk, wouldn't it be better to abort them? 3) Shouldn't a Christ like person be more concerned about the kids and their need for a home and family? 

• Upvote 12

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic