IGNORED

Erin & Chad 6: Angling for a Vow Renewal Ceremony

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, mstee said:

Erin doesn’t celebrate holidays regularly? 

“Holiday” means “vacation” in the UK and probably other parts of the English-speaking world.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

“Holiday” means “vacation” in the UK and probably other parts of the English-speaking world.

As a non-native speaker in Europe, we mostly learn UK English as well. So I am also used to holidays instead of vacation (even though vacation is very close to my native language).

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Oh, gotcha! I definitely read that in the wrong context ?‍♀️

On 6/21/2020 at 11:11 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Peppa Pig taught me that. I guess that unbelievably annoying show is good for something.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/21/2020 at 11:11 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

And the Bates do go on holidays--like visits to Florida--every year--sometimes twice a year.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

Peppa Pig taught me that. I guess that unbelievably annoying show is good for something.

My kids have picked up some things from Peppa Pig. Rubbish instead of garbage. Straight away instead of right away. I can’t help but think it sounds really cute.

• Upvote 7

When I saw the "Emily Ann" and the last name that began with "R", I initially thought it was Emily Ann Roberts, the girl from "The Voice" who sang with Lawson a few times.   

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Erin uploaded some pictures of the weekend with the Paine family and there's two baby boys I don't recognize, maybe Tabitha had some kids? I only recognize Erin's and Dakota's.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Erin uploaded some pictures of the weekend with the Paine family and there's two baby boys I don't recognize, maybe Tabitha had some kids? I only recognize Erin's and Dakota's.

One has to be Nate’s and there’s a married sister who had one last summer but don’t know if that one was a boy.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

One is Nate’s son Isaiah (Born late 2018) and the other is Hannah’s son Grant (Born mid 2019)

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to add this the other day... modesty so out the window. This was on chads work page. I noticed Erin reshared everything other than this shirtless pic. Boys can be topless but girls can’t show a collarbone meh. Dickheads. 

27C7C542-DA05-4F51-9ACB-E0B8E5154572.png

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

• 4 weeks later...

I know this was posted awhile ago, but I just stumbled across it today on the Bates family page. Rotten to the core??? I’m assuming Kelly is attempting to say this in a teasing way. But about a barely 4 year old? On a public forum? With no context for it to possibly be interpreted as a joke. Also implying she’s going to sneak around and steal clothes. I’ve never seen her say anything like this about any other kid on their birthday. Poor Brookie. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

I think you are  reading too much into this. It’s just a grandma joke. She is not insinuating  her preschool granddaughter horrible little klepto just a funny active character :) 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I think you are  reading too much into this. It’s just a grandma joke. She is not insinuating  her preschool granddaughter horrible little klepto just a funny active character :) 

I'm not sure. With a non-fundie grandma probably. But if even her "rottenness" means some slight "normal" misbehaving, that could easily equal some corporal punishment for Brookie. We just have NO idea either way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The rest of her post does not even support or imply that though as She would not be gushing and laughing at the behavior if they deemed the kids antics worthy of a spanking  I would imagine. Plus it sounds like Brooke does this quite a bit.  Even for Fundies  not every single thing has some dark sinister double meaning. 

• Upvote 9

Just now, tabitha2 said:

The rest of her post does not even support or imply that though as She would not be gushing and laughing at the behavior if they deemed the kids antics worthy of a spanking  I would imagine. Plus it sounds like Brooke does this quite a bit.  Even for Fundies  not every single thing has some dark sinister double meaning. 

I understand where you are coming from! I promise! I also think sometimes people read too much into things on here - it's amazing how sometimes I'll read a recap of an episode or wedding or insta video or something and then watch it myself and have an entirely different opinion of what happened based on the opinions of more vocal posters here (recent example being Jana and Josie and painting on a recent Counting On ep).

However, with what we DO know about the Bateseseses, I would think that most naughty child behavior is met with a form of punishment that may be harmful to the children. These are NOT normal people; they are cult members. I hope this doesn't sound aggressive, because I do not intend it to, but a serious question: What do you think could happen to Brook if she were to misbehave and how would that differ with how YOU would reprimand your (hypothetical? potential? actual?) child? I bet it would be a different response than how the Bates' do things, whether it was something as simple as sneaking a cookie she may not have been allowed, or hitting a sibling. 

I'm also not trying to say this is for a fact happening by any means or insinuating child abuse in anyway! My first post clarified that we really can't be too sure how child misbehaving is reacted to in these 2nd gen family groups. 

• Upvote 6

You have to go back and read the other birthday message I think but she has already written something like this for Jed and Jeb (? Well the two youngest) and at least another grandchild, is not reserved only for Brookie it seems to be a phrase that she uses often with young kids don't know why. I remember there was some question by a couple of posters when she used it for her two youngest. Plus in the rest of the post, she is gushing over her so I think we are just want to see the worst possible scenario in this post. 

Edited by Italiangirl
Adjunct a couple.of thought to better clarifying my ideas
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Johannah said:

know this was posted awhile ago, but I just stumbled across it today on the Bates family page. Rotten to the core??? I’m assuming Kelly is attempting to say this in a teasing way. But about a barely 4 year old? On a public forum? With no context for it to possibly be interpreted as a joke

Kelly seems to like naughty kids and has used the word rotten talking about Jeb and Judson before. Loves that word and uses it as a joke with a funny meaning.

In fact, her birthday post for Brook is longer and much more personal than her birthday post for Kaci. Kaci seems to be quiet and in my opinion, Kelly prefers the more active and talkative children. 

I hate to defend Kelly, but she has sense of humor. She makes Brook sound as a fashion victim, which is a.very positive thing in their world. You are really misunderstanding Kelly's message.

Of course 2nd generation Bates hit their kids. I would be surprised if they didn't (their churches and social circle are very conservative, too). But nothing in Kelly's post implies that, and she rejoices.in her grandaughter playing with clothes.

Edited by Melissa1977
Clarify
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Screenshot_20200816-134047.thumb.png.4b7f4dc5a439fee7e48e9a682654d8da.png

Apparently "rotten to the core" is a phrase commonly used in Southern vernacular (with a positive meaning).

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I don’t think Kelly hates Brookie. I’m originally from the south and have never heard rotten to the core used as a joke, but I’m assuming that’s probably how she meant it. I personally wouldn’t want my grandmother describing me that way, and I think that, combined with the tori homeschool episode where the other kids kept calling Brookie the bad one made me feel sorry for her. 

• Upvote 5

My mother describes my son that way. We’re in the south. She says it with nothing but love, which is the only way I’ve ever heard it used. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, princessmahina said:

My mother describes my son that way. We’re in the south. She says it with nothing but love, which is the only way I’ve ever heard it used. 

Spoilt rotten or "rotten to the core" when referring to a child or family member is usually a term of affection. It's not a slam or a negative thing...it's usually said with a smile and/or laugh. My granddaughter E is spoiled rotten to the core...good grief, she has her daddy (my son) wrapped around her fingers, what she wants, daddy buys for her. Baby A is the same...she fusses, someone jumps up to cuddle her. The term can also be applied to pets...

So, I think once again we're seeing a case of cultural differences here. I'm from the Hampton Roads area of VA...we're kissing cousins to NC. We have other terms for saying shitty things about people. 

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Spoilt rotten or "rotten to the core" when referring to a child or family member is usually a term of affection. It's not a slam or a negative thing...it's usually said with a smile and/or laugh. My granddaughter E is spoiled rotten to the core...good grief, she has her daddy (my son) wrapped around her fingers, what she wants, daddy buys for her. Baby A is the same...she fusses, someone jumps up to cuddle her. The term can also be applied to pets...

So, I think once again we're seeing a case of cultural differences here. I'm from the Hampton Roads area of VA...we're kissing cousins to NC. We have other terms for saying shitty things about people. 

Tori and Carlin used to talk about about Jeb and Judson being "spoiled rotten" by their parents because they were the youngest. While I doubt Kelly Jo put that much thought into it, it is nicer to Chad and Erin to say that a child is rotten to the core rather than saying her parents raised her to be rotten.  

Like with Callie we'll probably see Brooklyn move from being outspoken and mischievous into delivering one liners that promote her parents' beliefs. 

• Upvote 7

Thanks to all the Southerners for backing up the Bates’s usage of “rotten to the core.” I honestly have never heard or seen that usage. Can someone point to a website or something I can google to see this definition? 

• Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic