IGNORED

Carlin, Evan, and Layla Rae 7: Grifter in Utero

GreyhoundFan

Isn’t it human nature to innately believe that there’s something elevating you (general you) above another group? Whether it’s religion, academia, politics, your chosen social causes, wealth etc ... IMO we all do it and it’s never comfortable to have it pointed out.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

The term "white trash" has always been particularly offensive to me---beyond referring to any human as trash, it has an underlying implication that all non-whites are inherently trashy, and so we must delineate  this other set of trashy people as "white trash."

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

@Satan'sFortress thank you for the perspective. Ive never heard that before. I would think that white people make the worst kind of “trash” since the stereotype includes racism in addition to other horrible belief systems or undesirable behaviors. 

the historic genesis of the term white trash is probably based in what you said. 

• Upvote 2

As others said before I too have a problem calling people, humans trash. I think I know how you mean it, but it's incredibly offensive to me because trash indicates to me that someone or a whole group is worthless as a human being and if you go further can be stripped from their basic rights. You can disagree with a person, you can call out on their shitty behaviour, morals whatever you want but they still have a value as people, individuals. You can even feel more elevated than them regarding their beliefs but still respecting them as people.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

On 10/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, Smash! said:

As others said before I too have a problem calling people, humans trash. I think I know how you mean it, but it's incredibly offensive to me because trash indicates to me that someone or a whole group is worthless as a human being and if you go further can be stripped from their basic rights. You can disagree with a person, you can call out on their shitty behaviour, morals whatever you want but they still have a value as people, individuals. You can even feel more elevated than them regarding their beliefs but still respecting them as people.

I generally agree, but have one exception. People who abuse those who cannot defend themselves. I was just reading the news about Richard Huckle, convicted pedophile who was found murdered in a Yorkshire prison. In 2016, he was given 22 life sentences (it's not a typo) and has been charged with raping at least 71 children, but it is suspected that the number is over 200 (sadly not a typo either). This is someone who raped those innocents and documented in a diary all the victims' names and abuses for years. For him and those like him, calling him "trash" is an insult to trash.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but to me, he meets your definition (bolded mine) to the letter. I am glad he is dead. 

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

8 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I generally agree, but have one exception. People who abuse those who cannot defend themselves. I was just reading the news about Richard Huckle, convicted pedophile who was found murdered in a Yorkshire prison. In 2016, he was given 22 life sentences (it's not a typo) and has been charged with raping at least 71 children, but it is suspected that the number is over 200 (sadly not a typo either). This is someone who raped those innocents and documented in a diary all the victims' names and abuses for years. For him and those like him, calling him "trash" is an insult to trash.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but to me, he meets your definition (bolded mine) to the letter. I am glad he is dead. 

yep an insult to trash, 

trash at least at one time was good for something....

• Upvote 9

Do you think anyone told Carlin that Layla is an Arabic name, popular among Muslims?

NTTAWWT, unless you're a close-minded fundamentalist. I personally really like it, though I'd go with the Leila spelling.

• Upvote 2

On 10/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

The term "white trash" has always been particularly offensive to me---beyond referring to any human as trash, it has an underlying implication that all non-whites are inherently trashy, and so we must delineate  this other set of trashy people as "white trash."

Well that isn’t accurate historically speaking. A house slave would have been above white trash because they usually had some form of education and were religious. And this term wasn’t something whispered amongst house slaves it was a term that was openly used in mixed company starting in the 1830’s. Even prominent northern abolitionists viewed “white trash” as  sub-humans incapable of improvement compared to black people. During the Reconstruction era   The Atlantic Monthly went as far as to state that if anyone should be disenfranchised it should be the white trash as they were intellectually inferior,lazy,and vicious when compared to black people. Agents of  Freedman’s Bureau actually declared that the white trash were the only group that was a waste of effort in terms of helping them better their circumstances. It obviously became a more racially charged term over time (when used by white people) but initially it didn’t have a strong “not white equals bad” connotation and was used towards a group that black and white alike viewed as worthless and incapable of improvement. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, Letizia said:

Well that isn’t accurate historically speaking. A house slave would have been above white trash because they usually had some form of education and were religious. And this term wasn’t something whispered amongst house slaves it was a term that was openly used in mixed company starting in the 1830’s. Even prominent northern abolitionists viewed “white trash” as  sub-humans incapable of improvement compared to black people. During the Reconstruction era   The Atlantic Monthly went as far as to state that if anyone should be disenfranchised it should be the white trash as they were intellectually inferior,lazy,and vicious when compared to black people. Agents of  Freedman’s Bureau actually declared that the white trash were the only group that was a waste of effort in terms of helping them better their circumstances. It obviously became a more racially charged term over time (when used by white people) but initially it didn’t have a strong “not white equals bad” connotation and was used towards a group that black and white alike viewed as worthless and incapable of improvement. 

I'd love to see some sources you're basing this on.

Apparently the first record of the term "white trash" is from 1821, and it was interestingly used by house slaves to mock poor white people. I don't think that necessarily implies that house slaves were considered higher in society. Many people wrote about "white trash" being criminal, under-educated, violent, miserable, etc. but of course people were making all those claims and worse about black people too. I don't see a lot of evidence that "house slaves are superior to white trash" being teh dominant view.

However! I mostly looked at Wikipedia so let me know if I'm missing an interesting piece of American history! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

White trash isn’t really a phrase used in the UK. I think the UK equivalent would be “chav”. (Of course it may be used by some over here but I haven’t heard it). Like certain names are considered “chavvy” etc. 
Layla is a nice name to me. I believe Sarah Maxwell’s middle name is Rae, I think because Stevehovah’s middle name is Ray. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

White trash isn’t really a phrase used in the UK. I think the UK equivalent would be “chav”. (Of course it may be used by some over here but I haven’t heard it). Like certain names are considered “chavvy” etc. 
Layla is a nice name to me. I believe Sarah Maxwell’s middle name is Rae, I think because Stevehovah’s middle name is Ray. 

I think there is a big difference between the word chavs (choni, in Spain) and white trash. From what I get, the term WT is linked to extreme poverty and lack of education, while chavs are just working class people with poor taste for clothes and music (not implying that all workers are chavs, of course!). What I mean is that WT are supposed to be much poorer than chavs, with worse problems of violent and unhealthy background and no opportunities at all.

• Upvote 2

On 10/11/2019 at 6:32 AM, formergothardite said:

I think there is a different between calling their belief system trash and calling them trash. Dehumanizing people isn't okay. Trump and the republicans do it and that isn't okay. These are still people. People who hold horrific beliefs that cause unimaginable amounts of damage, but they are still humans. 

And for the Bates children,  I doubt any of them have actually thought deeply about what they believe and would reject any evidence against Trump and the GOP as "fake news". 

Some people are trash.  You even mention trump who is absolutely a garbage human being. 

As far as the term "white trash" goes- there's no such thing as reverse racism.  Calling someone white trash might be a little uncool sometimes, but it's not a big social issue. I come from a long line of hicks, hillbillies, red necks, and white trash (and could tell you all sorts of distinctions between the groups). Getting bent out of shape about the term white trash is a waste of energy. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

What I mean is that WT are supposed to be much poorer than chavs, with worse problems of violent and unhealthy background and no opportunities at all.

At least in my social circle in the U.S. (obviously, MMV), the term "white trash" is typically used to describe behavior or taste rather than just circumstances. I've never really heard it used to describe people who are just really poor and cut off from opportunities--which I agree would come off as really distasteful.

I always hear it used towards more working class people (i.e., "trailer park trash"), typically when individuals are being ignorant, bigoted, or loud. 

Just now, Charliemae said:

Some people are trash.  You even mention trump who is absolutely a garbage human being. 

Yeah, I'm trying to hear what people are saying here, but we have many posts on this site calling Dana Loesh a whore and gleefully wishing David Koch and Ronald Reagan eternal torment in hell.

And while the posters criticizing the use of "white trash" may not be the same people making the latter posts, there also hasn't been a general condemnation of those posts either. So I'm giving some side eye to the "value all people" remarks, at least while attitudes remain so inconsistent.

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think there is a big difference between the word chavs (choni, in Spain) and white trash. From what I get, the term WT is linked to extreme poverty and lack of education, while chavs are just working class people with poor taste for clothes and music (not implying that all workers are chavs, of course!). What I mean is that WT are supposed to be much poorer than chavs, with worse problems of violent and unhealthy background and no opportunities at all.

I think “working class person with poor taste” isn’t a bad description of white trash. It doesn’t require extreme poverty. I’m American, but I gather from British media that chavs are showy. Would Jill Rodrigues be a chav?

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Damn autocorrect
  • Upvote 3

I would say 'white trash' is a mix of taste attitude, and I guess just the general essence of a person? I suppose maybe it comes down to a blatant lack and disregard for accepted manners/social customs in a given circle, especially by people that have no reason to not be aware of the social conventions expected of them; it's a simple matter of not giving a fuck.

That said, this is not my area of expertise and so @Charliemae please, please pleaaaaase elaborate on the differences of hicks, hillbillies, rednecks, and white trash; I know nothing about the specificities and I am beyond curious.

• Upvote 1

The term/slur White Trash always makes me think of Paris Hilton. Bad taste in spades and certain that everyone else is just dying to see and experience her style and behaviour... 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Agree. Trump is a good example or the Duggars who are making money off of a natural disaster in the Bahamas. It makes me gag to be honest. But still they are human beings who deserve to be treated as such. I associate with terms like human trash and other words an attempt to dehumanize people. This is extremely dangerous as it can lead to genocide (see the Kurds at the moment) or bullying. Absolutely no human being is just bad.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, kmachete14 said:

@Satan'sFortress thank you for the perspective. Ive never heard that before. I would think that white people make the worst kind of “trash” since the stereotype includes racism in addition to other horrible belief systems or undesirable behaviors. 

the historic genesis of the term white trash is probably based in what you said. 

I spent the weekend counter protesting about 100 white supremacists in my area. They are despicable people with horrible beliefs who truly wish death upon us. It would be so easy to mock them for their appearance, grammar, etc. To label them as true white trash. But please don't.  It's classist. It also perpetuates the type of oppression that we want to dismantle. There is plenty left to criticize. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 8

It's not so much about reverse racism, more about classism and a sprinkling of ableism. A couple years ago I read a book called "Imbecile" about the forced sterilization of a poor white woman whose case went to the Supreme Court and established forced sterilization/eugenics as Constitutional. This woman was considered "white trash" in that she was from a poor family (iirc, her mom was a single mother) with a history of "feeble-mindedness". Because this was the heyday of American eugenics, it was believed that feeble-mindedness was hereditary, and that the classes of white trash would, like people of color or undesirable ethnic groups, breed "stupider" and "stupider" people until they overran the "good" people. So white trash has a history of being used against oppressed groups, although I would not place it beside racial slurs directed at black or brown people. And of course it's sort of become a colloquialism, similar to redneck or hillbilly, but I wouldn't discount the original meaning and the fact that classism, much as America wants to deny it, has a strong presence in this society, and that crosses racial/ethnic lines.

Edited by Anna Bolinas
iirc, not irrc
  • Upvote 6

On 10/21/2019 at 10:19 AM, SassyPants said:

IMO, white trash has little to do with one’s economic status. 

Money can't buy class.  Just look at Donald Trump. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

It just looks so weird when they do it on the bottom versus when most people rock it on a shirt

I agree. And that dress is too big on Carlin as it is. Look at how it droops on her arm pit. You can’t sell a dress if it doesn’t even fit the model. And many people won’t want a cock knot. So doing that to the dress alters it so you can’t see how it hangs at the bottom. 

• Upvote 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic