IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

1 minute ago, lumpentheologie said:

Have we seen Travis doing any working? I haven't seen him do anything except playing in the family band, so I'd be surprised if there's any money for that house that didn't come from his family. 

Not that I know of, but I also don't follow him or his family closely. Who knows where he gets his money. I certainly work but don't post about it on my personal instagram because it's not relevant to the things I want to share. Social media is all about "show your best, hide the rest". While I do think all of these people are braggy in their posts about their life, kids, relationships, work, etc....I think really it's just some of the Bates boys who post about their work. Everyone else seems to only post about their personal life. For all we know he has a job at the college, makes money from the family singing group, or does odd jobs for money. Not defending him - maybe his parents plan to pay the mortgage - but in general I think people trying to be some sort of influencer post the highlights and nothing else. Unless of course they're an influencer for actually selling things. 

My cousin was the kind of person who literally saved every penny she made as a young girl. She babysat, dog sat, did random jobs - and never spent any of it. She also saved every bit of money she was given as gifts for birthdays and other holidays. When she graduated high school she has a significant amount in savings.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

As far as I can tell, Travis DOES have a car--and didn't he also recently acquire a trendy designer puppy? (a Labradoodle, just like Carvan)  Do we see any evidence of him having any sort of job beyond his family's singing group?  And do we know if this singing group turns a profit?  I do know that they had a song recently make the gospel Top 40 for one week, so maybe they actually recoup their recording costs.

If they were profitable enough for mike and Travis to support families, why does Kay have to teach? Unless it’s some fundie BS. 

• Upvote 3

It makes sense to buy a house in the US wenn I hear about the renting situation in the US. Is it common to rent via leasing? Does this mean you have a lease for say 5 years and can’t move out during the lease? And when it’s over the landlord can decide not to renew the lease and you have to move out?

Here you sign a renting contract. Usually your notice period is 3 months. If you can present someone to the landlord who takes over the flat then you can move out sooner. 

There are a few reasons the landlord can kick you out but he has to give you 3 months notice. In recent years landlords have become more brazen, for example they kick everyone out, renovate the flats and rent them out again for a significant higher price. Or they refuse by default to pay for things they have to pay (e.g. small renovations or replacing stuff). They give in once you threaten to get an attorney but it’s a hassle. This is why it’s good to have a renting insurance that assists you with those problems and provides an attorney for free. In my experience it never ends up at the court because the landlord know they’re in the wrong but they try to get out of paying anything  they can.

There were some bills presented in the parliament to limit such practices but since a right wing party is in the majority, it didn’t come through. 

Still, compared to the US the protection is very good.

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 6

About these Christian Colleges, do they get real professors to teach? Or just people that think they have something to share?

If so, I could see Travis 'teaching' as a job.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

About these Christian Colleges, do they get real professors to teach? Or just people that think they have something to share?

If so, I could see Travis 'teaching' as a job.

Probably depends on the size. At Pensacola Christian College (one of the larger colleges that is still skirts only...I’m still surprised none of the Duggars or Bates have ended up there), most of the professors had at least a master’s degree from a secular university (a few had a Masters from a Christian college), and were working towards a doctorate as well. I’m guessing Bob Jones is probably the same. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, Smash! said:

It makes sense to buy a house in the US wenn I hear about the renting situation in the US. Is it common to rent via leasing? Does this mean you have a lease for say 5 years and can’t move out during the lease? And when it’s over the landlord can decide not to renew the lease and you have to move out?

Here you sign a renting contract. Usually your notice period is 3 months. If you can present someone to the landlord who takes over the flat then you can move out sooner. 

There are a few reasons the landlord can kick you out but he has to give you 3 months notice. In recent years landlords have become more brazen, for example they kick everyone out, renovate the flats and rent them out again for a significant higher price. Or they refuse by default to pay for things they have to pay (e.g. small renovations or replacing stuff). They give in once you threaten to get an attorney but it’s a hassle. This is why it’s good to have a renting insurance that assists you with those problems and provides an attorney for free. In my experience it never ends up at the court because the landlord know they’re in the wrong but they try to get out of paying anything  they can.

There were some bills presented in the parliament to limit such practices but since a right wing party is in the majority, it didn’t come through. 

Still, compared to the US the protection is very good.

Leases are generally a year and you have to pay a fee to break the lease and leave earlier than that. And yes, the landlord could decide not to renew your lease or could change the terms of the lease (eg rent increase). They know they can often get away with this bc it’s not worth it to people to pay the cost and hassle of moving. So you end up in a situation where your rent goes up every year. As a renter for the last 18 years, I think being a renter in the US is generally a pretty unpleasant experience. We’re finally in the process of buying for that reason. Although so far that process has been a hassle too! 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

On 2/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, kmachete14 said:

Finally, the area in which he is buying has an average home price of 72k. Camden is known to be "not the nicest area," so it makes sense that home values there are lower than other New Jersey suburbs.

Wait a second, they're going to be living in Camden? First of all, that is entirely too close to me lol (I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, about 10 minutes from West Philly, but we used to take the occasional school trip to Camden, either to go to the Camden Aquarium or to see the Riversharks baseball team). Second of all, that is going to be quite the culture shock for a Bates. It's not as sketchy as it once was, but it's still a hard-scrabble Northeastern city. They'd probably fit in better in a place like Collingswood, but that's probably more expensive. 

• Upvote 9

9 minutes ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Wait a second, they're going to be living in Camden? First of all, that is entirely too close to me lol (I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, about 10 minutes from West Philly, but we used to take the occasional school trip to Camden, either to go to the Camden Aquarium or to see the Riversharks baseball team). Second of all, that is going to be quite the culture shock for a Bates. It's not as sketchy as it once was, but it's still a hard-scrabble Northeastern city. They'd probably fit in better in a place like Collingswood, but that's probably more expensive. 

What does hard scrabble mean? Slum? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

His family lives in Camden County, but not in Camden itself. Based on property records, it looks like his parents live south of Berlin, about 15 miles from the city of Camden. They also purchased a small (~900 sq ft) home a couple miles from their house in 2019, maybe for one of their kids to live in? I'm not familiar with Berlin, but it looks to be more typical suburban than inner city. 

Travis's house purchase hasn't popped up on the property record search yet, but I'm guessing it's in the same area. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

7 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

What does hard scrabble mean? Slum? 

Hardscrabble means tough, difficult to thrive, usually poverty stricken. The word literally refers to rocky or barren soil where crops won't grow but it's often used to describe difficult circumstances or a tough life.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

58 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

Hardscrabble means tough, difficult to thrive, usually poverty stricken. The word literally refers to rocky or barren soil where crops won't grow but it's often used to describe difficult circumstances or a tough life.  

I'd only seen it spelled hard scapple, but Google says scrabble is correct. I've learned my new thing for the day!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

His family lives in Camden County, but not in Camden itself.

Ah okay, that makes a lot more sense, especially since Berlin is not too far from one of Trump's golf courses. Still too close to me lol.

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:49 AM, Smash! said:

Yes, my family moved almost every year of my childhood because rent would go up each year and my parents would try to find something cheaper. This also meant I'd rarely stay at the same school for long, so it was really hard to make friends. Once my dad got a decent job we stayed in the same house for all 4 years I was in high school, and that was amazing. 

I kept the same apartment in NYC for 8 years and my rent went up 4% each year while my income didn't go up nearly that much. After 8 years I got kicked out because they wanted to renovate the apartment and rent it for more. Renting is pretty brutal. In most places the landlord can forcibly evict you as soon as you miss a rent payment. We have a lack of affordable housing in most cities and it's a major driver of our homelessness crisis. There are a lot of homeless people with full time jobs, sometimes even more than one, but they still can't afford to rent.  In NYC at least 10% of kids in public school are homeless. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 10
  • Sad 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

@lumpentheologie @Johannah Thanks for your insight. This is terrible. I had no idea it was this bad ? It seems like there’s no protection of the ordinary people and the companies can maximize their profit however they like.

• Upvote 7

26 minutes ago, Smash! said:

@lumpentheologie @Johannah Thanks for your insight. This is terrible. I had no idea it was this bad ? It seems like there’s no protection of the ordinary people and the companies can maximize their profit however they like.

Welcome to American capitalism! Somehow the right has convinced most of us we're the greatest country in the world while denying us the rights people in every other developed country have had for several decades. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

It probably depends on the state. I have a rental property (single-family home) and it takes about  3 months to evict someone, and that is after one or more months of non-payment by the tenants.  They can potentially live, rent-free for at least 3 months which gives them extra time to cause a lot of damage to the property because they are angry they cannot continue living there rent-free.

During the pandemic I've been fortunate that the current tenants' employment is unaffected and they pay the rent. If they were allowed to live there for free for months on end I would lose the house and I'm not aware of any protection I would have. The pandemic causes financial difficulties all the way around.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Bobology said:

It probably depends on the state. I have a rental property (single-family home) and it takes about  3 months to evict someone, and that is after one or more months of non-payment by the tenants.  They can potentially live, rent-free for at least 3 months which gives them extra time to cause a lot of damage to the property because they are angry they cannot continue living there rent-free.

It does depend on the state (and local government) but most places offer few protections for renters. In NYC it takes about a year to evict someone, thankfully. 

Not sure if you know this but usually people go without everything else before not paying rent. That means going without food, utilities, and medical care for themselves and their children. Eviction generally makes already desperate people homeless. It’s not like they’re looking to scam their landlords into living rent-free. 

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

During the pandemic I've been fortunate that the current tenants' employment is unaffected and they pay the rent. If they were allowed to live there for free for months on end I would lose the house and I'm not aware of any protection I would have. The pandemic causes financial difficulties all the way around.

The tone of this makes me uncomfortable. if you make an investment, you’re accepting some form of risk. Why should renters be the ones shouldering the burden for some form of risk? 3 months to evict someone is not a whole lot, and contrary to what you’re writing, most renters aren’t parasites and out to scam you. Starting eviction proceedings after one month of non-payment just seems crazy to me. I’ve not payed my rent for two months in the past, once because I forgot to transfer the money (thanks ADHD), and once because I got my scholarship money late. I guess I could have been evicted in the US.

Yes, you would use the house. You still have somewhere to live, though, as you’re not currently living there, and again, you chose this investment, you take on the risk. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

I'm not a landlord, but my father was a small scale landlord for a few inherited family properties. Many people may try hard to pay rent, but there are some who don't and expect a lot for nothing. He stopped renting and just decided it was cheaper to let the houses stand empty after the last few evictions. One who claimed she should live rent free for a year because she had a kid (no loss of income). She put cement down all the drains and literally pissed all over the house because she was evicted after only 9 months of non payment. In that case she hadn't paid for months but my father waited til after the holidays to start proceedings and agreed to let her stay til her kid finished the school year. I could honestly go on and on with other cases, the last of which caused 20k of damage and actually expected his security deposit back ($500) but this is a sore point for me. There are a LOT of jerks out there perfectly happy to screw over small scale landlords. They know they can't do it to corporations so probably don't even try.

And yeah, I was the one who cleaned those houses while growing up while my parents did the more manual labor.

Most renters were fine over the 25 years he was a landlord, but the frustration from a landlord about these things is perfectly legitimate.

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Most renters were fine over the 25 years he was a landlord, but the frustration from a landlord about these things is perfectly legitimate.

Comparing the frustration of landlords who aren't getting the investment they expected to the suffering of families trying to survive the violence of eviction is really gross. Sorry, people who have multiple properties during a housing shortage and aren't managing to extract as much money from the poor as they had hoped get very little sympathy from me. 

Millions of people are homeless in the US and millions more are going without basic necessities to pay predatory rents. Compared to other countries US laws overwhelmingly favor landlords. During the last year millions of relatively wealthy homeowners and landlords have gotten mortgage deferrals while there has been no respite for renters, who have less money. I'm really shocked some of y'all are still clinging to the trope that people who can't make rent are entitled and lazy when so many people are out of work through no fault of their own. 

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I want to clarify how it works here with renting. Landlords are protected in different ways: When you apply for a flat you need to fill in an application form and disclose your job and how much you earn. They can check if that information is correct. With that you have to send in your debt collection register. If you're approved for the flat you have to pay a deposit, that's nowadays in most cases the amount of three months rent (it used to be two months). The deposit is a security for the landlord in case someone damages the flat. If you're unable to pay rent then they can evict you pretty quickly.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I'm not a landlord, but my father was a small scale landlord for a few inherited family properties. Many people may try hard to pay rent, but there are some who don't and expect a lot for nothing. He stopped renting and just decided it was cheaper to let the houses stand empty after the last few evictions. One who claimed she should live rent free for a year because she had a kid (no loss of income). She put cement down all the drains and literally pissed all over the house because she was evicted after only 9 months of non payment. In that case she hadn't paid for months but my father waited til after the holidays to start proceedings and agreed to let her stay til her kid finished the school year. I could honestly go on and on with other cases, the last of which caused 20k of damage and actually expected his security deposit back ($500) but this is a sore point for me. There are a LOT of jerks out there perfectly happy to screw over small scale landlords. They know they can't do it to corporations so probably don't even try.

And yeah, I was the one who cleaned those houses while growing up while my parents did the more manual labor.

I haven’t been able to get over how entitled this post is, it’s been making me angry all morning. 

Your family is wealthy enough to have inherited (!!) multiple properties and you want sympathy about the burden that’s caused you? Jesus Christ. 

Landlords who purposefully worsen the housing crisis by keeping houses empty should have those properties seized under eminent domain, IMO. 

34 minutes ago, Smash! said:

I want to clarify how it works here with renting. Landlords are protected in different ways: When you apply for a flat you need to fill in an application form and disclose your job and how much you earn. They can check if that information is correct. With that you have to send in your debt collection register. If you're approved for the flat you have to pay a deposit, that's nowadays in most cases the amount of three months rent (it used to be two months). The deposit is a security for the landlord in case someone damages the flat. If you're unable to pay rent then they can evict you pretty quickly.

The important difference here is that European countries have accessible pubic assistance for people who can’t pay rent, while the US mostly doesn’t. Europeans are also much less likely to lose their jobs since they aren’t subject to at will employment to the extent that Americans are.

Renters in the US have to go through a similar approval process and usually pay 1-2 month’s rent as a deposit. 

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, Smash! said:

It sounds like you’re from Germany as well. I just looked it up, 2 months of non-payment are theoretically enough to start eviction proceedings, but the landlord needs to send a warning, and as a renter, even after eviction has started, you have the option of paying the back-rent, which makes eviction null and void. 

In Germany, one of the main problems is actually who gets an apartment. If you’re foreign-looking /don’t speak Good German/have a foreign surname or don’t have good credit, it’s very very hard to get an apartment. Also, if you’ve been evicted before, that’s usually visible on your credit statement, and landlords don’t want to rent to you. 

4 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I haven’t been able to get over how entitled this post is, it’s been making me angry all morning. 

Your family is wealthy enough to have inherited (!!) multiple properties and you want sympathy about the burden that’s caused you? Jesus Christ. 

Landlords who purposefully worsen the housing crisis by keeping houses empty should have those properties seized under eminent domain, IMO. 

The important difference here is that European countries have accessible pubic assistance for people who can’t pay rent, while the US mostly doesn’t. Europeans are also much less likely to lose their jobs since they aren’t subject to at will employment to the extent that Americans are.

Renters in the US have to go through a similar approval process and usually pay 1-2 month’s rent as a deposit. 

Totally agree! Note that in Germany, if you’re really struggling, the welfare system will pay your rent (up to a certain amount, of course), and my mother, who had been evicted multiple times, was able to get an apartment because she agreed to have the welfare payment for rent be directly paid to the landlord.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I would like to add, that while it made be easy to start the eviction process in Germany- it is not THAT easy to get people actually leave the property. It will go to court and till that is finished you cannot go just in there and pack their things. It’s also not as if the police would show up to get people out without a court decision. And that might take a while. And even then it’s not that easy. 
All that said- big renting companies definitely had a bad affect on the renting market. It not really they smaller, private ownership set ups where one landlord has one or two flats or buildings. And they do struggle when a renting situation goes wrong in that way. For the bigger ones it’s just a nuisance. And while there is a small percentage of horrible renters, I think it’s fair to not single them out as the norm. 95% are perfectly fine, and when they struggle talk to you beforehand (and in small situations there can often be found a bi-lateral solution) and pay back is they can. It is only just that they are protected to become victims from profit oriented companies that don’t care about the building or the people.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic