IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

Thanks to the link that @nelliebelle1197 provided up there, I deduce that Lawson is envious, if not seething. That kid Travis is actually a very good singer (to my untrained ears) and *if* Katie marries him Lawson will have at least two brothers-in-law that noticeably out-sing him. Evan is a better singer than Lawson. Heck, all the brothers-in-law may be. Does Katie sing? I know they all "sing" as a family, but I mean is she known in the family and at church as a singer? 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 10/7/2019 at 10:53 PM, AussieKrissy said:

I found it sad how Kelly's Bday post kind of harped on about her relationship and was all but one photo of her and travis. I dunno I would have left Katie's relationship out of a bday post if she had of been my daughter. 

I am getting the feeling Kelly is itching for another wedding and is going to be pushing for it, if that post was anything to go by.

Kelly is probably in a competitive grandchild race with the Duggars. They had a head start, gotta catch up! I can’t keep track, how many do they each have?  I included all the pregnant ones I think.

Josh 7 (is that right?)  Joe 2, Jill 2, Jinger 1, Joy 1, Si 1 (I know Lauren Is screaming, “WE HAVE 2!”)  JD 1 So 15?

Erin 4

Zach 3

Alyssa 3

Tori 1 (for now)

Josie 1

Carlin 1  

Total of 13? 

Did I miss anyone? I’m ashamed I knew this much.

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

Kelly is probably in a competitive grandchild race with the Duggars. They had a head start, gotta catch up! I can’t keep track, how many do they each have?  I included all the pregnant ones I think.

Josh 7 (is that right?)  Joe 2, Jill 2, Jinger 1, Joy 1, Si 1 (I know Lauren Is screaming, “WE HAVE 2!”)  JD 1 So 15?

Erin 4

Zach 3

Alyssa 3

Tori 1 (for now)

Josie 1

Carlin 1  

Total of 13? 

Did I miss anyone? I’m ashamed I knew this much.

Not as ashamed as I am for this ...

Josh has 6 (Mac, Michael, Marcus, Meredith, Mason and baby). JD 1. Jill 2 (Israel and Sam). Jessa 3 (Spurg, Henry and the new one, Ivy?). Jinger 1 (Felicity). Joe 2 (Garrett and baby). Si 1. Joy 1 (Gideon).

Duggar grandchildren: 13 + 4 on the way.

Don’t know the Bates ones as well but think you got the numbers right there. :) 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

@TeaELSee, you were right on the number of Bates grandkids.

Zach has 3 (Bradley, Kaci, & Khloe), Erin has 4 (Carson, Brooklyn, Everly, & Holland, Alyssa has 3 (Allie, Lexi, & Zoey), Tori has 1 (Kade), Carlin is gestating 1, Josie has 1 (Willow).

Bates grandchildren: 10 + 3 on the way.

Edited by Bethella
typo
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Well sign me up for "Soulwinning Nursery" as my required weekly soulwinning program!

Is it a plant nursery or a human child nursery? Is there a contest for who wins the most souls? When do we find out who won? In heaven?!

Screenshot_20191009_000523.jpg

WTF is "Reformer's Unanimous"?!?

And HGS, I love your plant v. child question! ?

Edited by scoutsadie
moar
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

WTF is "Reformer's Unanimous"?!?

Pray away your addictions.  AKA Jesus Jail.  Josh Duggar was sent to a residential facility but they have chapters all over the place.  https://rurecovery.com/about-us/

What every addict needs.  Counselling by wet behind the ears Bible College students.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Well sign me up for "Soulwinning Nursery" as my required weekly soulwinning program!

Is it a plant nursery or a human child nursery? Is there a contest for who wins the most souls? When do we find out who won? In heaven?!

Screenshot_20191009_000523.jpg

Sadly, yes, it often was a contest who could "win" the most souls. Which begs the question of how you get sincere conversions when you're seeking them to win a contest? Questions I had even then. . . .

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Pray away your addictions.  AKA Jesus Jail.  Josh Duggar was sent to a residential facility but they have chapters all over the place.  https://rurecovery.com/about-us/

What every addict needs.  Counselling by wet behind the ears Bible College students.

Ok... So supposed to be "Anonymous"?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

At least Crown College has their annual Valentine's Day Banquet where you can show off your fundified bridesmaids gown + shrug combo. And travelling choirs.  Crown College looks like Ohio State compared to this half-assed overgrown Sunday School class.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Well, at least Travis has a pretty nice voice. Shame about the weird bible college and cult etc.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I have fallen down a hole both about VBC and that guy who thinks Travis's "rock" music is of the devil.

The college has a great Q and A page: http://www.visionbaptistcollege.org/pdfs/VBC-Answers.pdf

Some gems: "God has blessed VBC with beautiful dormitories for the students to enjoy."

"Off-campus students may purchase the lunch meal only on a weekly basis." I assume they mean at most, once per week. Why, and how can that be enforced?

"Are you accredited? We believe God and the Word of God give us the authority and approval to train Christ’s workers in local church ministry work. We seek no other accreditation"

You can't get rejected if you don't ask!

I can't figure out who runs practicalbible.com but it's fairly crazy.

Things Practical Bible dude (I assume) doesn't like:

- gender neutral dolls

- Travis singing Devil songs

- Intervarsity (some kind of Campus for Christ like thing) having queer bible study

- bad cholesterol, which must have been invented after The Fall

- Steven Anderson, who is a heretic! (finally, we agree :))

- taking selfies

- liberal Christians who confess their climate change sins to plants! How very dare they!

So much gold! https://www.practicalbible.com/news

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

"Opportunities for dating will be provided through formal activities and events"

Dating - wow, -but only after asking the permission of the young ladies father, and it must be Christ honoring in every way.

How permissive

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

"Off-campus students may purchase the lunch meal only on a weekly basis." I assume they mean at most, once per week. Why, and how can that be enforced?

I think it’s just bad writing. Boarding the speculation food truck, my guess is that they mean “Off-campus students may not purchase semester meal plans. One-week passes to the dining hall for lunch only are available. As our small facility purchases food on a weekly basis, the dining hall does not offer one-day lunch purchases.”

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
ETA: love your user name!
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Dating - wow, -but only after asking the permission of the young ladies father, and it must be Christ honoring in every way.

Wonder how that one's enforced.  And what if the young lady doesn't have a father?

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 10/8/2019 at 8:38 PM, Bobology said:

Thanks to the link that @nelliebelle1197 provided up there, I deduce that Lawson is envious, if not seething. That kid Travis is actually a very good singer (to my untrained ears) and *if* Katie marries him Lawson will have at least two brothers-in-law that noticeably out-sing him. Evan is a better singer than Lawson. Heck, all the brothers-in-law may be. Does Katie sing? I know they all "sing" as a family, but I mean is she known in the family and at church as a singer? 

He is way better than Lawson! 

On 10/9/2019 at 3:23 PM, nolongerIFBx said:

Sadly, yes, it often was a contest who could "win" the most souls. Which begs the question of how you get sincere conversions when you're seeking them to win a contest? Questions I had even then. . . .

I was truly terrible at soul winning. I never won those contests. Door to door soul winning was pure torture to me. 

Bible sword drills, though? I was good at that! It wasn't quiet as impressive as winning souls for Jesus, though. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

He is way better than Lawson! 

I was truly terrible at soul winning. I never won those contests. Door to door soul winning was pure torture to me. 

Bible sword drills, though? I was good at that! It wasn't quiet as impressive as winning souls for Jesus, though. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I didn't hate door to door until I really started to believe that it did more damage than good. Yes, I have met some people who were saved through someone knocking on their door. I've met a whole lot more who said, "someone knocked on my door and I prayed this prayer and they told me it meant I was going to heaven." I no longer wanted to be responsible for someone praying a prayer to get rid of me and then being convinced that it magically meant that they got to go to heaven though they had absolutely no understanding of the gospel. It was a numbers game for the preachers (at least in some part) and they put crippling guilt on the congregation to participate. Seriously, what kind of person has bragging-rights contests over people's eternal souls?! I know, me, at one time. So I should allow a little grace and that they, too, can change.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I didn't hate door to door until I really started to believe that it did more damage than good.

As an terribly shy and socially awkward teenager being sent door to door talking to strangers was my own little version of hell. Looking back I think most people were just nice because they felt sorry for these teenagers who looked terrified to be doing this. It is such a weird concept, interrupting people's time at home to ask personal questions. 

There is a fundie college not terrible far from me and occasionally we will get the students at events pestering people. I know that they don't have a choice and the college forces them to do this but it is so annoying. We are trying to watch fireworks! We don't want strangers prying into our lives!

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Travis is with the family on the v action on the Smoky mountain according to his insta. Help me out when the dating/getting to know couple is picture together on vacation is pretty serious right? I just remember I think Bobby or Kelton go on vacation with all the fam and then talking to Gil to court or propose to the girl....

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Travis is with the family on the v action on the Smoky mountain according to his insta. Help me out when the dating/getting to know couple is picture together on vacation is pretty serious right? I just remember I think Bobby or Kelton go on vacation with all the fam and then talking to Gil to court or propose to the girl....

I thought the same thing. He is a freshman in college. They are teens. They’ve only been together a few months. My parents wouldn’t have allowed that with such a new relationship. But fundies move fast. So who knows.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

And he made it into the family picture, so it must be pretty serious. I guess they can always photoshop him out if things dont work out with Katie.

• Upvote 9

Why oh why does she have to fall for that type of fundie. I think I'd feel better if Travis was a John Luke type. Yes he got married at 19 but he attended Liberty and just became a dad at 24...not 19. Are there any chances of the younger Bates crew hooking up with "normal" Christians?

• Upvote 2

He looks so young!

I think he is the youngest looking male in a courtship/dating phase in the Bates family. With the others, the man always looked at least like an adult.

But maybe I just forgot how young some of them looked at the wedding.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

He looks so young!

I think he is the youngest looking male in a courtship/dating phase in the Bates family. With the others, the man always looked at least like an adult.

But maybe I just forgot how young some of them looked at the wedding.

He’s the youngest so far. Bates girls usually went for guys a few years older. Travis and Katie are the same age. That’s why I think this may not last. Katie might not want to wait around to get married. 

• Upvote 7

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic