IGNORED

Dillards 80: Everybody Take a Shot!

Georgiana

Back when I lived in my uni town, the hospital had paid parking. Their excuse was that it could also be used by other people that are not coming to the hospital. My current local hospital has a massive free parking area. It's a bit more secluded so I doubt many people are willing to park there and then walk 10 minutes to go to the supermarket, but in my uni town it was right in centre of the city.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

The father of homeopathy was actually a pretty decent dude. Origins of homeopathy goes to the mid/late 1700s, when medicine in general was a wild ass field. He wasn't sold on all of the methods used by physicians back then, because frankly, a lot of it was utter bullshit. So he developed something, and some of it did really help. And he also used a lot of what I think is called folk medicine. Because it's a fact that some plants just are helpful, like that one leaf thing that really makes wounds heal faster. It's mostly the people after him that went buckwild and became sick idiots, taking this man's methods into the extreme.

If you believe that the symptoms of a disease are the body's attempts to heal itself,  then using an herb that induces those same phenomena may make some sense.  This is the Law of Similars.    (I don't believe this, btw.)  It's all the shaking and dilutions that make not a damn bit of sense.  

• Upvote 5

Trouble toddlers Jill and Derick appear so childish to me on that Izzy-got-kicked-in-the-face ig story.

I mean... that's the first thing that comes to mind. They act and sound like a pair of those Disney movie villains, like the thieves from Home Alone 3. 

You could tell Israel was confused towards the end of the video. I bet he was. 

They lost an opportunity to help their kids learn a life lesson if all they did was snickering and filming. People say they're horrible, but I am not exactly sure what kind of horrible this should be labeled as: emotionally immature kids trying to parent kids themselves? Or downright mean and mentally disturbed?

• Upvote 11

Not gonna lie, assuming the kid wasn't really hurt, I'd also think it was hilarious that he asked his brother to kick him in the face and then got upset at the result. But I would try my damnedest not to show the kid that I thought it was hilarious, and I sure as hell wouldn't post it on social media. The Duggars have a lengthy history of publicly shaming their children for laughs. Unfortunately they're far from the only ones, but it's really not surprising with them. Is there a term like the Madonna-Whore complex but for when you simultaneously idolize children as blessings from God but also view them as dirty scheming sinners?

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 8

On 10/24/2019 at 8:17 PM, BernRul said:

First, they're celebrating Halloween, before long they're dressing in black leather and singing Sweet Transvestite. This is exactly what the liberal agenda wants! 

The PERFECT excuse to play one of my favorite songs!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 8

It's been a long time since I was around 4 year olds, but why would Izzy ask to be kicked in the face? It isn't like they watch violent cartoons or movies. That's almost as weird to me as J&D's reaction to film, laughter  and post. Almost 

3 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

It's been a long time since I was around 4 year olds, but why would Izzy ask to be kicked in the face? It isn't like they watch violent cartoons or movies. That's almost as weird to me as J&D's reaction to film, laughter  and post. Almost 

Honestly, kids are weird. No other explanation necessary, really. Asking to be kicked in the face is far from the weirdest thing I've seen a 4-year-old do or say, haha.

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 17
  • Love 1

Funny story about something related. So, my mother loved my lint white curly hair when I was a wean. But, my older sister (the sane one, not the narc) that I shared the room with always had hers cut short, and it had already passed that lint white stage to the ol' regular Finnish roadside blonde. One day my sister is like HEY FINN WANNA PLAY BARBER and me being 4 I'm like, SURE COOL. I play cut her hair (we had proper barber scissors), maybe I snipped a bit from the bottom for realsies and it was all laughs and giggles... and then it was my sister's turn to cut mine! And lo and behold, this six year old ass cuts my hair for real, and super short! And me, still being 4, am just like... COOL MY SISTER CUT MY HAIR NOW MY HAIR LOOKS LIKE HERS - well, kind of, it's all chopped up super weird like a 6 year old would do.

Mum comes back home, sees me... and she just bursts out crying her eyes out, takes me into her arms and is crying going, oh Finn it'll be ok, it'll be fine, while scolding my sister like nothing else. I started crying because mum was crying, not because I was upset! I talked about this incident with my sister when we were teens and she told me, oh yeah I have no regrets, it was hilarious. And I told her that yeah, I wasn't upset at all back then either. Years later I talk about this incident with my mum and told her that it honestly wasn't a bad experience, but definitely a huge shock... and well, my sister and I never did anything as extreme as that to each other ever again, and if we saw mum getting upset we'd apologise to each other immediately. I guess we learnt something, but damn it was hilarious!

I actually cut my own bangs about a year after that because I thought they were too long. And a year after that. Mum was so upset both times, but when 1st grade started mum told me that ok, you need to stop cutting your own hair, you're 7 now. ... Well, 6 years later and my sister and I started cutting each others hairs because we didn't wanna pay anyone to get our horrid emo looks, one of them mum called a chicken's arse since in the front we had long bangs and in the back we had cut the hair like, 1-2cm short ?

I've only had my hair done at a professional about... 5 times after I turned 15, otherwise I've just done it myself. Hairdressers always mess it up, so why bother, lol. I just snipped off about 30-40cm worth of hair yesterday, which doesn't sound too bad, but it was the beginning of what turned out to be a dissociative episode... :think:

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

years ago, my boys would do the same stupid shit. One would dare the other, the other would oblige and the one would cry/get mad/whatever. I'd laugh my ass off at them, tell them that what they did wasn't very smart and then leave it at that. I've got stories to tell but no pictures. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I have 3 younger brothers who were always getting injured. Boys do dumb stuff....but by the same token Jill the attention whore posted that photo of her foot after the "stepping on a toy injury"....Izzy is crying out for attention in EXACTLY the same way.

• Upvote 6

This seems to be the Duggar way: Josie's blow out, Spurgeon's wet pants, now Izzie getting kicked in the face. Anything for views. They learned from their parents.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

@Four is Enough,  my oldest daughter was showing me the display of Funko Pop! figurines they'd put on the mantle for Halloween.  She has a Columbia which had a stand, but they threw the stand away.  They also had a cat named Columbia, but she went to the Rainbow Bridge last year.  

@finnlassie, my youngest daughter took the scissors to her bangs once.  She didn't cut them just a little; she cut them completely off!  Naturally. when you cut you bangs off it isn't like you've got hair parted down the middle.  Everybody can see what you did.

@Exposedknees, as you can see from what I wrote above about my daughter's adventures with scissors, girls do dumb stuff, too.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

I once told my older sister she wouldn't jump off the couch and land on me like a crash pad. Well, she did. And it hurt. I cried. We were little kids, my parents laughed (I wasn't seriously injured) and the rest is history.  There was no social media to post it on but I honestly don't think it would've been a big deal if they had posted it on the 1980s version of FB. Not a big deal imo. Kids will be kids, parents will be parents.

• Upvote 4

way back in the dark ages, us moms would sit in the carpool lane and compare notes on stupid kid shit. I wish I could remember the stories. Basically we were just sort of checking in with each other to make sure our kids were "normal".

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4

I mean, isn’t that exactly what America’s Funniest Home Videos? People (Including children) continually getting hurt and everyone having a laugh about it ? 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

I don’t think them laughing about it is a problem- but laughing in front of Israel as he is actively crying isn’t cool. Kids want to feel like they are heard, especially when they are upset. If mom and dad whip out the cell phone and laugh every time a kid gets hurt, it could cause resentment in the long run. My toddler has done some things where it’s laughable, but she’s upset, and my husband and I wait till the end of the day once she’s asleep to have our WTF comments and maybe a laugh. I’m not suggesting you have to coddle them every time a tear is shed (we encourage our toddler to dust herself off and move on from things when it’s appropriate) but it’s never bad to take a moment and just be there with your kid and to put that cell phone down. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 4

@front hugs > duggs,   laughing at kids and animals getting hurt is why some of us aren't crazy about America's Funniest Home Videos.  

Edited by PennySycamore
fixing my post
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

I'm going to be honest. We had a similar situation happen Friday night but we didn't film it for Instagram. My daughter was afraid of the Alexa timer (why? who knows) and my husband and I were cracking up and she was crying and dramatically yelling at Alexa to stop.  I did share the story with like 10 people since then though.

I do think Jill just doesn't have that filter about what is social media appropriate. Maybe because she's so sheltered. However, as a parent, as long as they made sure Isreal wasn't seriously injured, I don't fault them for laughing. They shouldn't have put it on social media though. My son is constantly doing dumb stuff that I tell him not to and when he gets hurt for it, I check on him. Then I legit tell him "I told you so."

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • WTF 1

@PennySycamore I actually agree with you - I don't like the show and find more of it cringey than funny. I also agree with @mstee's post about how a child would comprehend that situation- you feel hurt, and your parents are laughing, and how that could be damaging. Thank you for pointing that out.

I wouldn't have posted on social media, but I think that Jill is just CLUELESS about what is and isn't appropriate or funny, because her parents were clearly clueless too. This obviously isn't meant to be an excuse; Jill is an adult and it is on her to learn these things. I guess I was just thinking it is by no means the worst thing Jill has done? Low bar..

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

I do think Jill just doesn't have that filter about what is social media appropriate.

And I think part of that is due to the fact that she grew up with cameras in her face. So perhaps filterlessly posting to social media seems appropriate and probably somewhat normal to her. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I remember when Two, about 6 years old,cut the hair of our foster daughter... beautiful black ringlets... and tried to tell me that it was the dog's hair.... NOPE. Kids and scissors... bad combination. And they WILL find them!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Four is Enough wrote "The PERFECT excuse to play one of my favorite songs!"                   --------

@Exposedknees, as you can see from what I wrote above about my daughter's adventures with scissors, girls do dumb stuff, too.

@Four is Enough, thank you for that song, and the perfectly-framed thumbnail of that hot man! I love me some Tim-Curry-as-Frank, esp. in those early scenes. Yummy!

@Exposedknees, as a grown-up girl who chopped her own hair at age 5 (just in time for the Christmas pageant; my mom was so pissed), I agree that girls do stupid shit, too.

But I also remember hearing, in college, about the stupid shit my then-boyfriend and his brother did as kids, and realizing that a lot of the boy-stupidity involved pain and bleeding.

I had no brothers as a kid, so it was crazy to learn about the games that my bf and his brother and friends used to play, such as packing rocks into snow and hurling them at one another until someone started bleeding. WTF?!? I still don't get that.

Edited by scoutsadie
format fix
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

And I think part of that is due to the fact that she grew up with cameras in her face. So perhaps filterlessly posting to social media seems appropriate and probably somewhat normal to her. 

Oh I agree 100%. To her, it likely would seem very normal to just post it. So much of her life was sprayed across the television, it probably just seems like a normal thing to do. 

4 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

I'm going to be honest. We had a similar situation happen Friday night but we didn't film it for Instagram. My daughter was afraid of the Alexa timer (why? who knows) and my husband and I were cracking up and she was crying and dramatically yelling at Alexa to stop.  I did share the story with like 10 people since then though.

I do think Jill just doesn't have that filter about what is social media appropriate. Maybe because she's so sheltered. However, as a parent, as long as they made sure Isreal wasn't seriously injured, I don't fault them for laughing. They shouldn't have put it on social media though. My son is constantly doing dumb stuff that I tell him not to and when he gets hurt for it, I check on him. Then I legit tell him "I told you so."

To quote myself, I realized I kind of sound awful to my daughter. She was being dramatic, that's why we laughed. She just didn't want to go to bed.

• Upvote 5

Why would a person ask another person to kick him in the face and other people find it funny? Johnny Knoxville.

(Granted, their moms probably weren't laughing at them.)

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic