IGNORED

Dillards 80: Everybody Take a Shot!

Georgiana

12 hours ago, CooliePickney said:

Is the decline of the US health system only fairly recent? I don't recall hearing much about this topic in decades past, but certainly the international media sheds some light on it now.   Embarrassingly I am one of those people who watch Dr Pimple Popper and its heartbreaking to see the conditions people have to live with because they cant afford treatment. - In most cases its clearly an affordability issue however, the patients never actually say that.

It isn't so much a decline in health care as it is a skyrocketing of health care costs. And I think it has been since the early 2000's that it has gotten out of control. I remember growing up my parents each got health care coverage from their employers, and they paid about $50 a month EACH for a family police and since we had double coverage, we had no deductibles, out of pockets, I recall I had surgery when I was 19 and my mom had one the same day, my one elective her was an emergency, and my dad said those two hospital bills cost him a whopping $200, $100 each for hospital admission. 15 years later when I had the same surgery my mom had (appendectomy) That procedure cost me $2000. Now my mothers appendix ruptured and she was in the ICU for 2 days and in the hospital for 10 days, and it was only $100. I was only in the hospital over night for observation, and my appendix didn't rupture, but I had to pay $1900 more, for a fraction of the care. Plus I had to pay $500 to the surgeon another $400 the anesthesiologist and 2 $40 co pays to see the surgeon for post surgery visits.   

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

I have a question about the modesty standards, particularly when it comes to things like 'Frumpers' and wearing dresses for swimming.  If the idea is for the clothing to not draw attention and inspire lust, then wouldn't wearing something unusual create more attention to yourself?  Whereas if you blend in with the local dress standard then you would have less attention placed on yourself.

From this perspective a normal looking dress or tshirt/skirt combo would be better.  Swimwear you would be better off in a one piece with a UV t-shirt and board shorts for coverage so you didn't stand out.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

I have subscribed to the podcast Jill suggested in her stories - The Happiness Lab.  Interested to see if it's fundie/evangelical in nature.

Not that I have her on my Instagram feed. Or read her stories.

• Haha 5

Jill doing Halloween is a big deal, I have heard of people who are not fundie or even Christian in some cases not allowing their children to do Halloween because it's about the devil. I am not big on the over commercial side of Halloween and people over decorating for it, I am like that with all holiday's though. I loved Halloween as a child, at primary school we usually changed into our costumes at lunch time and then the teacher would play party games with us and give us sweets and fizzy drinks that were never usually given in school then after dinner at home we would go trick or treating around my street and a couple of neighbouring ones, we knew which houses did the best things, one woman done the best toffee apples and people too old for trick or treating would go to that house. I cant imagine not allowing any children I have to have a chance to trick or treat or at very least go to Halloween parties. 

• Upvote 11

Most likely, she'll do what my parents and other more mainstream fundiegelical parents did.  Kids can dress up, just not as demons or witches or anything like that.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

I have a question about the modesty standards, particularly when it comes to things like 'Frumpers' and wearing dresses for swimming.  If the idea is for the clothing to not draw attention and inspire lust, then wouldn't wearing something unusual create more attention to yourself?  Whereas if you blend in with the local dress standard then you would have less attention placed on yourself.

From this perspective a normal looking dress or tshirt/skirt combo would be better.  Swimwear you would be better off in a one piece with a UV t-shirt and board shorts for coverage so you didn't stand out.

The pathway to hell is paved with questions like that.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 15

3 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

But then how would people know how godly they are?

:dontgetit:

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I have subscribed to the podcast Jill suggested in her stories - The Happiness Lab.  Interested to see if it's fundie/evangelical in nature.

Not that I have her on my Instagram feed. Or read her stories.

The Happiness Lab? I haven't listened to it but I've heard about it, or at least about the course that inspired it. It's by a psych/cog sci professor who teaches a really popular class on happiness at Yale (the most popular course in Yale's history, apparently! Must be some waitlist...).

As far as I can tell it focuses on what we think will make us happy vs what really can, from a variety of angles. If it has any religious leanings (let alone fundie/evangelical) a google search does not readily reveal it. Honestly, I'd be extremely surprised if it did. Sort of want to add it to my queue as well--let us know what you think if you listen :)? I'm slow to get to podcasts these days. 

Short article: https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/09/18/laurie-santos-releases-happiness-lab-podcast/

Also, it only came out in the past year sometime so there aren't that many episodes, but that article mentions as planned guests Michelle Kwan and Kristen Beck, among others...Kristen Beck is a trans rights activist. I hope that if she is enjoying it and keeps up with future episodes, she keeps an open enough mind not to drop it based on that. 

The more I read, the more it sounds like a good thing for Jill--or anyone--to listen to! 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7

Okay, coming back because I peeked at a screenshot to see which episode she was listening to because I am procrastinating on things...and this is the episode description: 

Episode 6: Don't Think of a White Bear

Once a thought is in our heads, we can't suppress it and trying only causes us misery. Dr Laurie Santos explains why our brains work in this way and hears from real people who have confronted and overcome disruptive thoughts and bad memories.

Honestly, good for her if she is listening to this and finding it helpful! Also, as someone who deals with OCD, I officially think I need to check it out. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 2

23 hours ago, CooliePickney said:

how your fellow countrymen think this is ok

We don't.

18 hours ago, CooliePickney said:

Is the decline of the US health system only fairly recent?

It's not a decline per se, but an access and affordibility issue. Many folks such as myself get great health care, not without glitches but great nonetheless. President Obama, the last real president, attempted to address access and affordibility issues but was fought every step of the way by republican congresscritters. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

It's not a decline per se, but an access and affordibility issue. Many folks such as myself get great health care, not without glitches but great nonetheless. President Obama, the last real president, attempted to address access and affordibility issues but was fought every step of the way by republican congresscritters. 

All of this, plus from Reagan onwards, we’ve had politicians and some voters  fighting taxes nonstop. The less the government can fund, the more the population has to pick up.
We have the same situation in higher education: what used to be funded by taxes has declined for decades. Now, graduating students have to take out exorbitant loans with insane interest rates, because the government used to fund more. 
The dumb shits like Paul Rand and other absurd libertarian types have fought against taxes for so long that all of our government safety nets (and government-regulated plans for future populations) are now at risk.

ETA: we also have to fund far more administrators than we used to, which is a big chunk of funding.

Those who mentioned being afraid for the future of this country are correct. Red states continue to fight against the ACA, to the detriment of their population, while blue states fight a different fight. As a Californian, I have access to health care. If I lived in Kentucky, I’d be fucked. 

It’s a crazy, nonsensical, and very fucked up situation all around.

Edited by apandaaries
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, apandaaries said:

All of this, plus from Reagan onwards, we’ve had politicians and some voters  fighting taxes nonstop. The less the government can fund, the more the population has to pick up.
We have the same situation in higher education: what used to be funded by taxes has declined for decades. Now, graduating students have to take out exorbitant loans with insane interest rates, because the government used to fund more. 
The dumb shits like Paul Rand and other absurd libertarian types have fought against taxes for so long that all of our government safety nets (and government-regulated plans for future populations) are now at risk.

ETA: we also have to fund far more administrators than we used to, which is a big chunk of funding.

Those who mentioned being afraid for the future of this country are correct. Red states continue to fight against the ACA, to the detriment of their population, while blue states fight a different fight. As a Californian, I have access to health care. If I lived in Kentucky, I’d be fucked. 

It’s a crazy, nonsensical, and very fucked up situation all around.

Fucked is a good description. I have a dear friend who was hit head on about ten days ago. She is a retired public defender and has three fractured vertebrae, two ribs fractured near her spine, a fractured sternum and wrist fractured in two places.

She lives alone. Her family all have jobs and can't take off. Every time the hospital thinks it has arranged to get her in a rehab facility, Humana says no. Humana was already making noise about hwo she needed to be released last Wednesday--one day after the wreck, when she hadn't been out of bed, couldn't move and was hooked up to pain meds every 6 hours. These jerk-offs think that's fine.

People here in Kentucky voted for Tea Party/Koch Brothers acolyte Matt Bevin for Governor because he promised to do away with Obamacare. He got elected and proceeded to attempt to dismantle ACA/extended Medicaid (at more than the program itself cost) and those same people said I didn't know he wanted to do away with *my* insurance. I(That's because if you'd care to read or watch something other than Fox News, you dumb shits, you would know Obamacare and ACA/Expanded Medicaid are the same thing.).

Same with Trump, only it's because "he talks like I do." You're right, you white supremacist, mysogynistic ass, to a point. However, he thinks you're worse than the shit on his shoes. Actually, I guess a good many of those folk are like Trump, thinking people (black, brown, women, "the gay") are worse than the shit on their shoes.

My husband and I are both public employees (30 years for me; 18 for him). Bevin really like us (sarcasm font fully installed). He's called us whales and unsophisticated and a thousand more things. He's going after pensions and health care. He also installed a friend as head of Commonwealth Office of Technology at a 250K raise; meanwhile, it's been 10 years since state workers have had a raise. AND the Republican Majority Leg took I forget how many million dollars out of state worker health care this year. Their pension system (and those of judges) are nearly fully funded.

I understand how fortunate I am to have a job, health insurance and the ability to advocate for myself. Other folks are just fucked.

Never Trumper, Never McConnell voter, Never Rand Paul voter, Never Andy Barr voter, Never Matt Bevin voter voting blue no matter who next year. We'll work out the kinks once we take it back, assuming Trump hasn't blown the place up in a fit of pique.

Edited by sixcatatty
Another Trump thought
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

@sixcatatty That’s one of the reasons I look at people who ask why I don’t leave California and move to a more affordable state where I can buy a house with a yard. Diversity, inclusivity and healthcare are good reasons to stay, especially being a black woman. I’ll admit that after seeing some of these racists coming out of the shadows proudly, I will stay where is am. 

I’ll also stick with my high cost of living because at least I know my state will give out as many benefits as it can and take everything offered by the federal government. My friend lost her job last year a few days before she was told she needed a new hip and losing her job meant losing her insurance. She was in so much pain, she could barely function let alone look for a new job. Luckily, because she was able to get Med-Cal or Medicaid for herself and her son, not sure which, she was able to get a new hip, physical therapy and now has a new better job. My mother had a stoke and needed 24 hour care for the next 12.5 years. The state put her on Medi-Cal and paid for a nursing home and all hospital bills. I am so grateful for not having to worry about how I would get her the care she needed. 

The Republican Party is basically on life support in California. Every election they lose more seats and I am happy to help that happen. A couple of friends and I have agreed to campaign for whoever the democrat is in  areas where the few Republicans still hold seats. California has its problems but God knows I feel safer and more secure here than anywhere else. Plus, we can be proud of being a donor state that gives more back than it takes from the federal government. I will never understand how red states continue to vote in people who do whatever is necessary to take more and more away from them. If you state is at the bottom in literacy or education it might be time to try out some new people. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 9

Jill posted an ig story which included a picture of her bible open to Matthew 8. It’s an English standard version translation, not king James. While they still share many many many of the same religious beliefs and probably all the same political beliefs, Jill really has made quite a few steps away from her upbringing. 

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1

She also posted a story this morning of herself and Derrick laughing their asses off while Israel cried because he was kicked in the face by Sam. Jill is laughing so hard she can barely explain that Israel told Sam to kick him and that Israel is upset because he didn’t expect Sam to kick him hard or for it to hurt. Meanwhile, Israel is sobbing.  

Just ANOTHER example of how these people are just the worst regardless of pants, piercings, or new bibles. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, FundiePrincess said:

She also posted a story this morning of herself and Derrick laughing their asses off while Israel cried because he was kicked in the face by Sam. Jill is laughing so hard she can barely explain that Israel told Sam to kick him and that Israel is upset because he didn’t expect Sam to kick him hard or for it to hurt. Meanwhile, Israel is sobbing.  

Just ANOTHER example of how these people are just the worst regardless of pants, piercings, or new bibles. 

YES! Wasn't that the weirdest thing? I saw it as well and I was like... ok another ''tone deaf'' post by Jill.

I bet she thought that posting this would make a ''relatable boy mom post'', about boys doing stupid games - like asking your brother to kick you in the face. But it just seemed odd.

Not only is her kid crying and DD and her are laughing in his face, but... jeez why is her first thought to film it for her Insta Story? Leave poor Israel some dignity. I know there is a big debate online about posting baby pictures, in the eventuality that these kids will grow up and see image of themselves online (and I have read good papers for and against the idea). I'm not trying to say Jill shouldn't post about her family life online. But maybe Izzy would like not to see a video of his mom laughing and ridiculing him as a 4 YO, once he is in his 20s. The internet IS forever.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

Absolutely sickening for Jill to post that. Yes, that stuff happens and it honestly is funny in its own way, but who the fuck decides it's a good idea to post that online and just tell their kid "well it's ya own fault tee hee!"

This is a perfect timing to teach both of the boys about... ok I don't remember the English term right now, but you know, cause-consequence thing. Comfort your child, tell them what they said/did wasn't a good idea, and now he knows it wasn't so. Also pick up the child who did/was part of the thing, and teach them not to do everything their sibling tells them to do, and to apologise when they've hurt them/someone. My nephews are 8 and 3, and ooo holy shit do they get in a shit ton of trouble. Unfortunately my NarcissisticSister is their mother, so this lesson doesn't happen as often as it should (3 year old nephew is the golden child and the older the scapegoat)... but at times she's very good and calm teaching them about stuff like this.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

On 10/25/2019 at 10:36 PM, SilverBeach said:

We don't.

Exactly. The US has a history of keeping government out of everything, sometimes to the detriment of the people, especially the poor. The irony is that the people these programs would help the most are the ones who resist them. These families don’t even apply for the programs that actually exist and they qualify for, like Medicaid and WIC.

ETA: I would never shame a family -big, fundie, poor, etc-for using these programs because I think doing so encourages them to go to Scamaritan and herbs and prayer therapy for help. No bueno

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 10

25 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

ETA: I would never shame a family -big, fundie, poor, etc-for using these programs because I think doing so encourages them to go to Scamaritan and herbs and prayer therapy for help. No bueno 

Reminds me how people should NOT use the term alternative medicine - because that shit is not medicine at all!!!! The alternative to medicine is no medicine at all & at worst death. I was listening to Behind the Bastards (a very good podcast about the assholes in history and modern day) and this was mentioned in the last two episodes, that tackled the birth of homeopathy.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

11 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

Reminds me how people should NOT use the term alternative medicine - because that shit is not medicine at all!!!! The alternative to medicine is no medicine at all & at worst death. I was listening to Behind the Bastards (a very good podcast about the assholes in history and modern day) and this was mentioned in the last two episodes, that tackled the birth of homeopathy.

Homeopathy is both fascinating and frightening. The people who do it are often far right or far left. Really crazy stuff

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Homeopathy is both fascinating and frightening. The people who do it are often far right or far left. Really crazy stuff

The father of homeopathy was actually a pretty decent dude. Origins of homeopathy goes to the mid/late 1700s, when medicine in general was a wild ass field. He wasn't sold on all of the methods used by physicians back then, because frankly, a lot of it was utter bullshit. So he developed something, and some of it did really help. And he also used a lot of what I think is called folk medicine. Because it's a fact that some plants just are helpful, like that one leaf thing that really makes wounds heal faster. It's mostly the people after him that went buckwild and became sick idiots, taking this man's methods into the extreme.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, finnlassie said:

Reminds me how people should NOT use the term alternative medicine - because that shit is not medicine at all!!!! The alternative to medicine is no medicine at all & at worst death.

Steve Jobs (RIP) learned this the hard way. By the time he sought real medical care, it was too late.

• Upvote 9

On 10/24/2019 at 10:06 AM, viii said:

You have to pay to park at the hospital?? Damn, the American medical system really does ding you for everything. 

In some places in Canada too, pretty sure I had to pay when I visited my  mother at the Medicine Hat Regional  Hospital a couple of years ago.  The parking at Calgary  Foothills hospital was terrible last year when I visited my father, I hope it's finished by now. Not sure if one has to pay to park there now. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

YES! Wasn't that the weirdest thing? I saw it as well and I was like... ok another ''tone deaf'' post by Jill.

I bet she thought that posting this would make a ''relatable boy mom post'', about boys doing stupid games - like asking your brother to kick you in the face. But it just seemed odd.

Not only is her kid crying and DD and her are laughing in his face, but... jeez why is her first thought to film it for her Insta Story? Leave poor Israel some dignity. I know there is a big debate online about posting baby pictures, in the eventuality that these kids will grow up and see image of themselves online (and I have read good papers for and against the idea). I'm not trying to say Jill shouldn't post about her family life online. But maybe Izzy would like not to see a video of his mom laughing and ridiculing him as a 4 YO, once he is in his 20s. The internet IS forever.

The real question is:  Do sane caring parents view this as an appropriate minute moment to wipe out your cell phone, video tape & then post on Instagram?  Seriously?  What is wrong with these people?  Video taping was never on my top 3 things to do when my kids are crying. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic