IGNORED

Dillards 80: Everybody Take a Shot!

Georgiana

1 minute ago, patsymae said:

Not to pick on you personally but more the whole conversation. I don't see the big deal here. Nothing was on fire, nothing was dangerous, it was just messy. Kids who are having fun get messy and make messes. They figured out that they could use charcoal as chalk--good for them. 

Why did you quote me? I also said I didn’t think it was a huge deal, I just don’t like Jill shaming the boys online.

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1
  • WTF 1

10 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

Why did you quote me? I also said I didn’t think it was a huge deal, I just don’t like Jill shaming the boys online.

OK< sorry, I read it wrong. My bad. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I can't imagine finding my kid doing something they know they shouldn't and the first thing I do is film them! Now they think it's cool/entertaining to make mommy get the camera when they do something "bad." Alyssa Bates does this with her daughters getting into makeup.

• Upvote 11

Jill posted a picture of a casket that was from a baby's funeral. She is getting push-back for it. What is with taking pics at funerals? That is something I don't believe I've ever seen. 

Edited by fluffernutter
grammar
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 10

4 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Jill posted a picture of a casket that was from a baby's funeral. She is getting push-back for it. What is with taking pics at funerals? That is something I don't believe I've ever seen. 

Then you should check out Jill Rodrigues ?

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 16

12 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

My thoughts on the "over"exposure of the Carter/Cash family: Series started with Maybelle, and basically ended with Johnny's death. The Cashes are a tad bit overrepresented. (even if I love          their music.)

I was shocked at how much Emmylou was there, until I heard how much influence she had on so many people. i believe that's why they spent so much time on her.

I wanted to get the soundtrack,but so many songs are missing. Might just have to beef up my entire country playlist instead.

You may argue, but I don't think Kenny Rogers was all that influential.. nor Alabama.

It was really “Johnny’s Family and Friends Talk About Country Music.” Some of the most frequent talking heads were Rosanne Cash (daughter); John Carter Cash (son); Carlene Carter (stepdaughter); Marty Stuart (ex-son-in-law); Rodney Crowell (ex-son-in-law); and (briefly) Nick Lowe (ex-son-in-law). Count Waylon, Willie, and Kris as Johnny’s bandmates instead of successful artists in their own right, and that’s a lot of the talking heads.

I’ve gotten sucked into Wikipedia’s lists of the #1 country songs, and the list of all the artists who have had one. Johnny Cash had only 13 #1 hits. He’s way behind a lot of people who are less famous. George Strait (who got approximately 30 seconds in the show) has the most, at 44. That’s as many as Cash, George Jones, Glen Campbell, and Patsy Cline combined! 

I think you’re right about Ken Burns prioritizing influential artists, but how popular do they have to be to be important in their own right? Alabama had 33 #1 hits and hugely popular live shows. Country bands, as opposed to singers with backing bands, became more popular after they were successful.

One last thought - the show spent a lot of time on Minnie Pearl, even though she wasn’t actually a country music artist. It would have been nice if the soundtrack could have included a few minutes of her comedy.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

42 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Jill posted a picture of a casket that was from a baby's funeral. 

I read this sentence and thought I had accidently wandered into an old JRod thread. 

If she had permission, I don't see too much wrong with the post, other than the fact that the very first sentence of the caption was about how hard it was for her. But I didn't see any indication that she did have permission. 

Interestingly enough, the midwife under whom Jill studied commented saying, "sorry I couldn't make it". Her Instagram name says she's currently a midwife, did she get her license back? Why would she have been at this funeral? I'm guessing it's a mutual friend, but it leads the mind to some sketchy places. 

Edited by Sonic the Whoredgehog
Another thought
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Sonic the Whoredgehog said:

I read this sentence and thought I had accidently wandered into an old JRod thread. 

If she had permission, I don't see too much wrong with the post, other than the fact that the very first sentence of the caption was about how hard it was for her. But I didn't see any indication that she did have permission. 

Interestingly enough, the midwife under whom Jill studied commented saying, "sorry I couldn't make it". Her Instagram name says she's currently a midwife, did she get her license back? Why would she have been at this funeral? I'm guessing it's a mutual friend, but it leads the mind to some sketchy places. 

According to Pickles, and I don't know why she would be wrong here, the infant who passed away is Tyler's baby brother who was 1 month old.  If so that would be awful for Tyler.  

• Sad 19
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, Sonic the Whoredgehog said:

Interestingly enough, the midwife under whom Jill studied commented saying, "sorry I couldn't make it". Her Instagram says she's currently a midwife, did she get her license back? 

Yeah, this post was about *her* not whomever lost their child.   Even if it the parents were ok with it, there are just some things that shouldn't be shared with her 1.6M followers.

Venessa (midwife) continued to deliver babies in OK, maybe others, after her AR license was revoked.  She may have gotten it back, but I hope not.

Karessa Holt also made a comment about 'not being able to make it'.  

ETA: Ugh, if it was her cousin's baby, that makes her posting it even worse.  She's been through enough and seemed to finally be in a good place, and now she's lost her child.  

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • Upvote 10

With the Country Music Documentary, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" is pretty much sacred in the Opry. I'm not surprised It was included on the CD's . It symbolizes how the circle and spirit of the Opry can't be broken. 

Funny songs: A modern Artist that does it pretty well is Brad Paisley. 
Ode de Toilet
The Cousins song

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Maybe she was legally not allowed to mention them for whatever reason.

Also maybe by not me mentioning them she comes across as not "using" the duggar connection to sell books. It does sell it for her but she looks like she is isnt using them directly.

I don’t think she wasn’t allowed to mention her son’s in-laws. Duggar isn’t some protected trademark or anything and while I can imagine she wasn’t allowed to go into details about how the show was filmed, there’s no way she couldn’t have talked about Derick and Jill courting and so on. At least I’d be very, very surprised. Even a non disclosure agreement wouldn’t make her leave out the Duggar name entirely but merely ban her from going into particular details. 

I can imagine she left the Duggars out so as not to make money off of them. Still, there’s a difference between spilling the proverbial tea to make money or to briefly state the obvious. She did neither, which makes me think there’s another reason. My guess is that she wanted to distance herself... 

• Upvote 3

I just went back and looked at the charcoal picture. I think it is staged, or at least it did not just happen. The boys' hands are too clean. Also that little car is parked over the drawings. Meaning that if the kids moved the car while unsupervised, her time estimation is way off. All together something is off with the post!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

If you zoom in on their hands you can see charcoal on their finger tips. Maybe Izzy was the ring leader here and being older he was a little more careful about getting messy? Or not, but not everything a child gets into has to leave a huge mess all over themselves. We went to a farm about a month ago where they had pumpkin painting so I let my 1.5 year old paint even though we didn't have a bib or smock or anything. He miraculously didn't get any paint on his clothes or hair at all, and only a little bit on his fingers and a spot on his cheek. Another time we went out for Italian and forgot a bib and my son was eating spaghetti and again somehow didn't get any on his clothes. Some kids just don't enjoy feeling messy and are a little more careful.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

To think, Jill used to be one of my favorite names. Now it's just a euphemism for gauche. 

@QuiverFullofBooks,  yeah, they gave George Strait the short shrift*, didn't they?  The guy has been nominated for more CMA and ACM awards than anyone else.  I heard way more Randy Travis the other day when he was guest starring in an episode of Matlock.  George, Randy, and Alan Jackson were some of the biggest New Traditionalists back in the '80s/early90s.  

*You could say that George got the shitty end of the stick.

I would post a video of George doing one of his many hits, but YouTube isn't loading  for me ATM.

• Upvote 2

Funeral pictures are so odd to me. I have never taken any (even when the deceased was my immediate family) and cannot imagine myself doing so. I understand some people want/like to take them but why make them public? I am thankful it was a casket picture only though.

• Upvote 11

Taking pictures of family at funerals is pretty common around here. My mom has 8 brothers and sisters(4 live out state) so when their dad died it was one of the only times in decades that everyone had been together in one place so they took a bunch of group photos. I'm not sure if anyone took pictures of the casket or anything but it wouldn't bother me if they wanted some for their own personal use. The problem with Jill in this instance is she posted the picture on her very public instagram and her caption feels more about HER than about the grieving family. You would think with it being her own cousin who is going through a loss it would make her more sensitive to their grief and want to protect and support their privacy during a very difficult time but apparently not. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

Funeral pictures and videos are something I don't personally like but if it finds someone comfort and if the people whose child it is has no issue with it either then I have no issue with Jill doing it. 

Though her post has had people speculating on whose baby it is and pointing to other family members or asking if Jill had lost a baby.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

The baby that died was Tyler's little brother, Timothy. I had read comments saying that but didn't want to post until I had found anything saying it was true Rachel's husband posted on Facebook about the funeral and mentioned going to the Duggar house afterwards. My heart goes out to Rachel her husband and Tyler and the rest of the Duggar's to lose three family member's, especially two baby's in a short space of time is horrible.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 11

12 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It was really “Johnny’s Family and Friends Talk About Country Music.” 

I’ve gotten sucked into Wikipedia’s lists of the #1 country songs, and the list of all the artists who have had one. Johnny Cash had only 13 #1 hits. George Strait (who got approximately 30 seconds in the show) has the most, at 44. That’s as many as Cash, George Jones, Glen Campbell, and Patsy Cline combined! 

I think you’re right about Ken Burns prioritizing influential artists, but how popular do they have to be to be important in their own right? 

One last thought - the show spent a lot of time on Minnie Pearl, even though she wasn’t actually a country music artist. It would have been nice if the soundtrack could have included a few minutes of her comedy.

I believe Cash, like the Carters, is considered "more influential" because both not only nurtured new artists, but actually promoted them within the ranks of country music. On Cash's show, for instance, he introduced many acts from the folk scene in particular, and he covered some of their music.  So the exposure for new artists is what I think Burns was going for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see popularity and influence as two separate entities. Strait, Alabama, Brooks, Rogers, all extremely popular artists, but have they (and I don't know) brought along other artists the way Roy Acuff, Bill Monroe,  et. al. on the Opry did. This is not to say they're not IMPORTANT.  I believe they've advanced country music, too, and I did wonder why some of them got such short shrift on the series. Of course, to me, the series could have been twice as long and I'd have been happy.

Minnie Pearl's humor was concise and intelligent. A smidge of it would have been nice, I agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:10 PM, bella8050 said:

Jill girl if you're lurking please reconsider getting a puppy. They will get into way worse messes than this. And sorry I don't believe this took on a couple of seconds. Filming them after something like this happens is just going to teach them that they get attention when they make messes.

This pretty well looks like the kids had fun. Also - muddy puddles? You're keeping them away from muddy puddles? I took my son's boots to schools two weeks ago for pick up - so we could specifically jump in ALLL the muddy puddles on the way home. Got in the house - muddy clothes in the washing machine, clean & dry clothes on. And - I kind of think that's the joy of childhood. Making mudpies, making "adobe" with mud & straw (which was the spring activity in my yard this year). 

It's just kids being kids. Finding something and learning how it works and what it does. Would I have made them help clean it up? - probably - but only once they were done. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

On the boys mess- it looked like they were having fun, charcoal won't hurt anything, I think it's good they are entertaining themselves. I let my kid fall make messes all the time they just also have to help clean up. Kids that age usually like to help anyway. My guess is Jill didn't really mind and was just trying to be a #boymom for her followers. A few minutes with the hose would wash that right off. 

Casket pictures- this is probably an unpopular opinion but death is apart of life. As someone who works in the medical field I think it's healthy that we be open about it if your comfortable, especially when losing a child. It's devastating and I think if as a society we talked about it more while still horrible when people were close to pass we might not feel so alone. Particularly with infant and child loss (which I see more as I work at a children's hospital) there can be a perception of stigma or alone-ness. So I think if it's tastefully done it can be positive. However Jill's post was about a friend's child and I dont know if they were okay with it so I can't speak to that. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

In terms of letting kids have fun AND then doing XYZ to quickly deal with the and mitigate the mess, that’s where the problem comes in for Jill and I’d bet some of the other Duggars. It seems like in the TTH, the planning and mess clean up operated on Duggar time, if at all. So letting kids have fun and then cleaning up after the mess is how most of us would deal with the activity. Perhaps Jill’s jurisdictions never included mess clean up? And we all know that the longer you let messes slide and build up, the harder the clean up becomes.   Also, from someone who has lived in many homes over the years, but only in 1 brand new home, I was far more bothered by the mess making in the new home, because we were the first family to defile that beautiful structure. It took me months to drive that first nail into the wall.

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic