IGNORED

Dillards 80: Everybody Take a Shot!

Georgiana

Back to the Ken Burns Country Music series. I asked my husband for the 5-CD set (with booklet) for my anniversary present. It’s great, of course, but I have nitpicking to do.

- I like Rosanne Cash, but she was seriously overexposed in the series. There are three photos of her in the booklet and one of Dolly Parton. Also, Rosanne has three songs on the soundtrack, one more than Loretta Lynn. I love Emmylou Harris, but she’s really more of a folk singer, and she’s on the soundtrack four times (counting her uncredited appearance on “Love Hurts”).

Obviously there are hundreds of songs with a good claim to be on the soundtrack, and they had to make tough calls, but I’m still going to quibble.

- I don’t care that “Will The Circle Be Unbroken” is the series’ signature song. It doesn’t need to be on the soundtrack three times.

- NO Kenny Rogers? Not even “The Gambler”? No Alabama, either (I would have included “Dixieland Delight.”) Burns doesn’t seem to have liked the Eighties, but if he was going to cover the Nineties, he should have done the Eighties thoroughly. There’s also no Garth Brooks, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Garth was difficult or expensive about it. Also, no Alan Jackson.

- What brain-damaged person decided that Roger Miller should be represented by “Dang Me” instead of “King of the Road”?

- One or two songs from the great tradition of silly country songs should have been included. I nominate “You’re The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly” or “I’m Going to Hire a Wino to Decorate Our Home.”

- David Allen Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me by My Name" should be on it for the discussion of the perfect C&W song.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 7

Definitely rethink the puppy Jill.

I mean, I love dogs. I've had dogs all my life and have rescued probably over 100 (at least half of them puppies*) and it's no joke. Dogs are hard work, and puppies, actually harder then adult dogs in my experience. If I was advising Jill on getting a dog I would tell her to look for a Labrador Retriever or Golden Retriever over the age of 2 who'd been in a foster home. I love rescue and am definitely into supporting the animal shelters but with young kids like that I'd want something predictable who's temperament is known and has been house broken, leashed trained and ideally crate trained by a foster home already. 

If she's got her heart set on a puppy she's probably not going to a responsible breeder** because frankly I don't think one would give her a puppy. Her kids don't ever seem to have been around dogs, and she doesn't seem able to handle it, so she'll wind up going to some Backyard Breeder who doesn't give a damn and then the dog will wind up in a rescue when she can't handle it. At best the dog might wind up at the TinkerToy House. At worst it will become a rescue's problem or a shelter's problem***

*Despite having done this I still hate puppies. They're a nightmare. If i never had one again it would be too soon. 

**Responsible breeding as in, health testing appropriate for the breed, OFA scores, doesn't breed dogs who don't pass, doesn't breed too often, titles or proves their dogs in some way, and has a contract stating when spay/neuter needs to take place and that if at any time the family cannot keep the dog the dog is to be returned to the breeder and not wind up in a shelter or a rescue and there for will not be a strain on the rescue system. 

**there is absolutely nothing wrong with having to rehome your dog, it's a gut wrenching painful decision I cannot imagine having to make. My point is that Jill has never been shown to put much thought into anything and is likely to dump the dog when it gets to be just a little too much instead of trying other avenues such as training, and I doubt she's capable of giving a puppy the stimulation and exercise it needs, hence why an adult would fit better

• Upvote 14
  • Love 7

8 minutes ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

she'll wind up going to some Backyard Breeder who doesn't give a damn and then the dog will wind up in a rescue when she can't handle it. 

This made me think of the Maxwells, of course. I'm sorry they put Ellie through what they did, but glad she is no longer at risk for backyard breeding by Stevehovah.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

@QuiverFullofBooks, that's disappointing to hear about the CD set for the Country Music series.  Roseanne Cash having more songs than Loretta?  No Kenny Rogers or Alan Jackson?  No King of the Road?  I totally agree about needing to include some silly songs, too.  Country music has such a wealth of them.  I probably would have chosen "I'm My Own Grampa" or "Grampa Fell Asleep and the Hogs Ate Him".  This sounds even more disappointing that the Woodstock 50th Anniversaryy CD set I bought this summer that doesn't have Joan Baez singing "Joe Hill" or talking about how her husband David was in jail as a draft resister or any Jimi Hendrix, not one single solitary chord.  Not to have Jimi doing Purple Haze and The Star Spangled Banner (which I believe closed out the festival) is blasphemy!

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

- One or two songs from the great tradition of silly country songs should have been included. I nominate “You’re The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly” or “I’m Going to Hire a Wino to Decorate Our Home.”

- David Allen Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me by My Name" should be on it for the discussion of the perfect C&W song.

I think this is my all-time favorite silly country song:

I'm also partial to Roger Miller's version of Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town, but yep, King of the Road should have been on the CD.

Signed, still listening to Merle Haggard and Kristofferson (among others) after all these years.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I read Cathy’s book. She’s tough and determined. There’s a lot about her faith, but she’s not offensive in pushing it. Jill’s maiden name is never mentioned, and there’s no mention of the show or the molestation scandal (which took place during the time covered by the book). 

Here’s the one story that I thought was worth sharing. When she was so sick that she was on oxygen, one day she felt okay, so she went to work, even though they let her telework. A delivery guy brought over new oxygen canisters, and when he didn’t see her in her usual place, he offered his condolences to her husband. He was shocked when Ronnie told him that she wasn’t dead, just at work.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 16

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I read Cathy’s book. She’s tough and determined. There’s a lot about her faith, but she’s not offensive in pushing it. Jill’s maiden name is never mentioned, and there’s no mention of the show or the molestation scandal (which took place during the time covered by the book). 

Here’s the one story that I thought was worth sharing. When she was so sick that she was on oxygen, one day she felt okay, so she went to work, even though they let her telework. A delivery guy brought over new oxygen canisters, and when he didn’t see her in her usual place, he offered his condolences to her husband. He was shocked when Ronnie told him that she wasn’t dead, just at work.

This is so interesting, thank you for taking one for the team and reading the book, @QuiverFullofBooks

A couple of thoughts... 

Firstly, in her delivery guy story, i kinda feel bad for everyone involved. It must have been tough for her to be so sick, go to work on a good day and then come home to hear someone assumed she had passed. Also not fun for the husband, of course. But boy oh boy, the delivery guy was likely just observant and wanted to be nice and must have left feeling embarrassed. 

I’m surprised you describe the book as not overly pushing her faith. From Cathy’s Instagram and Twitter (which I only look at sporadically) I get the feeling she’s quite the zealot.

And last but not least, it’s telling IMO that Cathy doesn't mention the Duggars in particular or the show in general. It makes sense leaving the molestation scandal out - if I were the victim, I’d prefer others not to write about it. But not mentioning the whole show, the televised wedding, being filmed going down the aisle in a wheelchair, the well known in-laws even once? I’m sure she left all of it out in order to distance herself and her family from the Duggars. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 15

14 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

- I like Rosanne Cash, but she was seriously overexposed in the series. There are three photos of her in the booklet and one of Dolly Parton.

. I love Emmylou Harris, but she’s really more of a folk singer, 

Obviously there are hundreds of songs with a good claim to be on the soundtrack, and they had to make tough calls, but I’m still going to quibble.

- NO Kenny Rogers? Not even “The Gambler”? No Alabama, either (I would have included “Dixieland Delight.”) .

- What brain-damaged person decided that Roger Miller should be represented by “Dang Me” instead of “King of the Road”?

- One or two songs from the great tradition of silly country songs should have been included. 

My thoughts on the "over"exposure of the Carter/Cash family: Series started with Maybelle, and basically ended with Johnny's death. The Cashes are a tad bit overrepresented. (even if I love          their music.)

I was shocked at how much Emmylou was there, until I heard how much influence she had on so many people. i believe that's why they spent so much time on her.

I wanted to get the soundtrack,but so many songs are missing. Might just have to beef up my entire country playlist instead.

You may argue, but I don't think Kenny Rogers was all that influential.. nor Alabama.

When you look at how many songs Roger Miller wrote, he has both of them beat. But yes, I'll agree with you on Kng of the Road.

My pick for silly song, old guy version, "Oh, My Pappy" or "Your Cheatin' Heart" by Homer and Jethro Perhaps they were parodies, but parodies and "Talking back" or "response" songs are very much a part of country music. Kitty Wells' "it wasn't God who made Honky Tonk Angels" was only one of many.

And Steve Goodman wrote "call me by my name..."

off to sing, "Now, I was drunk, the day my mom, got out of prison,

And I went to pick her up, in the rain.

But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck, she got runned over by a damned old train.....

EVERYBODY SING. And I'll hang around as long as you willl let me, and I never minded standing in the rain

you don't have to call me darlin', darlin'.

But you never even call me, well I wonder why you don't call me, why don't you ever call me by my name????"

Bye, baby!

As far as Israel and Sam, I understand Jill's wanting them to stay away from the charcoal. What if it was still hot? But I still applaud their creativity, even if they made a mess. Heck. I'd have let them draw all over the patio, but stopped them at the door, stripped them down, and hosed them off outside.

Finally, ETA: Homer and Jethro...

Edited by Four is Enough
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

In terms of the boys and their mess making, I really think that Jill has no idea what is an age appropriate activity or a realistic expectation for young children. I think the TTH was a free for all...kids hiding, toddlers getting their heads stuck in the spindles of the stair rail, infants seated unattended at the table for who knows how long. I guess there were enough older eyes around to make sure that no one wandered onto the highway out front, or took a dangerous tumble down the stairs. It’s probably a good thing thing their first home was a single story.  It seems that the only real efforts expended were directed towards sweet fellowship, birthing, nursing and bible time. Everything else was just mailed in, smoke and mirrors. This is exactly why some of the  2nd generation are so ill equipped and struggle so much with everyday life. They never saw a well oiled machine of a home and family life. It’s not that hard when you have a reasonably sized family. They prove every day why no family should have 19 children. 

And I’m sorry, but unless those boys had premeditated that assault...and had Jill peeked outside within the 3 minute time frame that she quoted, the mess would not have happened to that extent. It would have taken them at least a minute or 2 to eye the charcoal and 30 more seconds or more to jointly decide to scribble all over the patio. 

Jill, you do not live at the TTH and do not have a million eyes to watch the boys. During the day while DD is in school, It’s your job as the SAHM to watch the boys and monitor their activities. Your choices are either to childproof your home, get some help during the day, or watch the kids yourself. 

ETA- I also believe that he reason  Jessa appears to more easily handle her crew is because Ben grew up in and was the oldest child of a larger family where there was likely a far amount of chaos, and more importantly, I’d guess that Ben is home and available a whole lot more than Derick.  Jessa is still not living anywhere close to a real world life. Jill does to the extent that DD is not home to help 24/7. *

* I make an assumption about Ben based on the absence of proof that he goes to school or works beyond the TV show.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 15

18 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Back to the Ken Burns Country Music series. I asked my husband for the 5-CD set (with booklet) for my anniversary present. It’s great, of course, but I have nitpicking to do.

- I like Rosanne Cash, but she was seriously overexposed in the series. There are three photos of her in the booklet and one of Dolly Parton. Also, Rosanne has three songs on the soundtrack, one more than Loretta Lynn. I love Emmylou Harris, but she’s really more of a folk singer, and she’s on the soundtrack four times (counting her uncredited appearance on “Love Hurts”).

- I don’t care that “Will The Circle Be Unbroken” is the series’ signature song. It doesn’t need to be on the soundtrack three times.

- NO Kenny Rogers? Not even “The Gambler”? No Alabama, either (I would have included “Dixieland Delight.”) Burns doesn’t seem to have liked the Eighties, but if he was going to cover the Nineties, he should have done the Eighties thoroughly. There’s also no Garth Brooks, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Garth was difficult or expensive about it. Also, no Alan Jackson.

Thank you for saying this.  I loved watching these programs but kept thinking there was way too much Roseanne Cash and Marty Stuart.

• Upvote 1

Marty Stewart, to me, is a walking repository of country music history. I thoroughly enjoyed him and all of the talking heads.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

This is so interesting, thank you for taking one for the team and reading the book, @QuiverFullofBooks

A couple of thoughts... 

Firstly, in her delivery guy story, i kinda feel bad for everyone involved. It must have been tough for her to be so sick, go to work on a good day and then come home to hear someone assumed she had passed. Also not fun for the husband, of course. But boy oh boy, the delivery guy was likely just observant and wanted to be nice and must have left feeling embarrassed. 

I’m surprised you describe the book as not overly pushing her faith. From Cathy’s Instagram and Twitter (which I only look at sporadically) I get the feeling she’s quite the zealot.

And last but not least, it’s telling IMO that Cathy doesn't mention the Duggars in particular or the show in general. It makes sense leaving the molestation scandal out - if I were the victim, I’d prefer others not to write about it. But not mentioning the whole show, the televised wedding, being filmed going down the aisle in a wheelchair, the well known in-laws even once? I’m sure she left all of it out in order to distance herself and her family from the Duggars. 

Thanks. Yes, I agree that she comes across as a zealot on Twitter. Maybe she’s better at long form writing. I wonder if Amazon had any influence over the content, since they’re selling it. Maybe she followed the classic advice to writers, “Show, don’t tell.”

I suspect that TLC has control over what people who have appeared on their shows write about them. The Duggars are so entwined with the show that it was probably easier to avoid the topic. One thing I would like to know is what Ronnie thought about the show. He looked really annoyed in his few brief appearances. It’s possible that he influenced Derick to stop participating. So Cathy might not want to get into some family/in-laws/TLC drama.

She did talk about the wedding; she just didn’t mention that it was on television. She doesn’t seem vain or self-conscious at all, and she was goin through serious health problems, so maybe she didn’t pay much attention. She said that she was glad she was able to watch Dan’s rehearsal dinner speech and the wedding on film after she felt better, but lots of people would film those, so it wasn’t odd at all.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

In terms of the boys and their mess making, I really think that Jill has no idea what is an age appropriate activity or a realistic expectation for young children. I think the TTH was a free for all...kids hiding, toddlers getting their heads stuck in the spindles of the stair rail, infants seated unattended at the table for who knows how long. I guess there were enough older eyes around to make sure that no one wandered onto the highway out front, or took a dangerous tumble down the stairs. It’s probably a good thing thing their first home was a single story.  It seems that the only real efforts expended were directed towards sweet fellowship, birthing, nursing and bible time. Everything else was just mailed in, smoke and mirrors. This is exactly why some of the  2nd generation are so ill equipped and struggle so much with everyday life. They never saw a well oiled machine of a home and family life. It’s not that hard when you have a reasonably sized family. They prove every day why no family should have 19 children. 

And I’m sorry, but unless those boys had premeditated that assault...and had Jill peeked outside within the 3 minute time frame that she quoted, the mess would not have happened to that extent. It would have taken them at least a minute or 2 to eye the charcoal and 30 more seconds or more to jointly decide to scribble all over the patio. 

Jill, you do not live at the TTH and do not have a million eyes to watch the boys. During the day while DD is in school, It’s your job as the SAHM to watch the boys and monitor their activities. Your choices are either to childproof your home, get some help during the day, or watch the kids yourself. 

ETA- I also believe that he reason  Jessa appears to more easily handle her crew is because Ben grew up in and was the oldest child of a larger family where there was likely a far amount of chaos, and more importantly, I’d guess that Ben is home and available a whole lot more than Derick.  Jessa is still not living anywhere close to a real world life. Jill does to the extent that DD is not home to help 24/7. *

* I make an assumption about Ben based on the absence of proof that he goes to school or works beyond the TV show.

I agree that Jill really doesn't have any idea of what is or isn't age appropriate.  And like you said, it's part of a general fundie problem.  They'll expose infants to things with good intentions, like flashcards, not really realizing the child is far too young to get the benefit out of it they think they will.  They'll support blanket training because they don't understand normal childhood development and how damaging blanket training is.  Then as the child ages, they fail to recognize all the ways in which the child lags behind in academic development or when roles are too much for a child to take on healthily.  It's all a crap shoot for fundies, where family roles dictate more about how a child turns out than actual parenting, and there's a cultural aversion to honestly evaluating whether a child is at age-appropriate levels or not.  

With Jill, I've suspected she has no idea about child development since the initial Counting On special where she spoon-fed a then 5 year old Josie cereal.  

As for Jill vs Jessa, I think that Jill has no idea what to do unless she's told to do it.  I think she really struggles with abstract thinking and creating a plan for reaching an end goal.  She has to be given specific steps.  Jessa however, does this naturally, as we saw when she took over homeschooling for Michelle.  She can identify something that needs doing, come up with a way to do that thing, and then execute.  So when it comes to kids, she's going to naturally figure out how to supervise children while getting other things done (natural multitasking).  Jill, however, is going to completely fail to come anywhere close to decent multitasking unless someone sits her down and says "You need to check on your kids every X amount of minutes, and immediately if you hear silence.  Set an alarm or learn to listen for noise so that you can pop your head around every so often." I think this is why Jill's "tips" to her followers are so frequently what most people would consider no-brainers.  To Jill, they actually ARE the sort of helpful tips she needs, and she's constantly looking for them.  She passes them along because they are incredibly helpful to her.  It's a sad commentary on how her parents failed her that these are usually things that people figure out on their own, often as teens and without trying, just naturally by experience while babysitting or trying their hands at being "adults".

• Upvote 27

I considered it a no brainer that kids who can reach the cold charcoal grill will, of course, get in and play with it. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I agree that Jill really doesn't have any idea of what is or isn't age appropriate.  And like you said, it's part of a general fundie problem.  They'll expose infants to things with good intentions, like flashcards, not really realizing the child is far too young to get the benefit out of it they think they will.  They'll support blanket training because they don't understand normal childhood development and how damaging blanket training is.  Then as the child ages, they fail to recognize all the ways in which the child lags behind in academic development or when roles are too much for a child to take on healthily.  It's all a crap shoot for fundies, where family roles dictate more about how a child turns out than actual parenting, and there's a cultural aversion to honestly evaluating whether a child is at age-appropriate levels or not.  

With Jill, I've suspected she has no idea about child development since the initial Counting On special where she spoon-fed a then 5 year old Josie cereal.  

As for Jill vs Jessa, I think that Jill has no idea what to do unless she's told to do it.  I think she really struggles with abstract thinking and creating a plan for reaching an end goal.  She has to be given specific steps.  Jessa however, does this naturally, as we saw when she took over homeschooling for Michelle.  She can identify something that needs doing, come up with a way to do that thing, and then execute.  So when it comes to kids, she's going to naturally figure out how to supervise children while getting other things done (natural multitasking).  Jill, however, is going to completely fail to come anywhere close to decent multitasking unless someone sits her down and says "You need to check on your kids every X amount of minutes, and immediately if you hear silence.  Set an alarm or learn to listen for noise so that you can pop your head around every so often." I think this is why Jill's "tips" to her followers are so frequently what most people would consider no-brainers.  To Jill, they actually ARE the sort of helpful tips she needs, and she's constantly looking for them.  She passes them along because they are incredibly helpful to her.  It's a sad commentary on how her parents failed her that these are usually things that people figure out on their own, often as teens and without trying, just naturally by experience while babysitting or trying their hands at being "adults".

All true, and I remember another thing that always stood out to me in terms of how developmentally inappropriate the TTH was during those kids’ formative years. JB and M had no problem making 7 YO JIll Joy’s sistermom, yet right up until Jill’s wedding day, she still needed to have a chaperone or buddy wherever she went. Why were the Duggars so much more worried about an adult daughter’s virginity than they were at providing proper, safe and developmentally appropriate care and opportunities in those same kids’ early years? So backasswards and damaging.

32 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I considered it a no brainer that kids who can reach the cold charcoal grill will, of course, get in and play with it. 

Lack of common sense coupled with overriding laziness. After you use the BBQ, the charcoal turns to ash, right? Why isn’t the charcoal put away in an area that is inaccessible to the boys? 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I didn't think the mess was that bad. Have them help you hose off the charcoal on the patio. It wasn't paint that wouldn't come off.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 18
  • Love 3

On 10/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, bella8050 said:

Jill girl if you're lurking please reconsider getting a puppy. They will get into way worse messes than this. And sorry I don't believe this took on a couple of seconds. Filming them after something like this happens is just going to teach them that they get attention when they make messes.

If that just happened, how are those kids so clean?  No charcoal all over hands, faces, and clothes?  Sam is a toddler there is no way he didn't get charcoal on anything but his fingertips and I can't even tell if their fingertips are dirty with my bad eyes.

Charcoal is not like chalk where you can hold it and not get totally messy.  No way neither of those kids was playing with charcoal and didn't touch their face, hair, each other.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

I suspect Jilly Muff stages or styles some of the kids’ hijinks.  This isn’t the first time we’ve seen them ‘make a mess’ yet they are not messy.  Izzy with diaper cream in his hair (in the middle) but not on his hands comes to mind.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

Jill is trying too hard to be relatable, and I think she fails most of the time. She seemed peeved in that video. 

My father was a huge country music fan, and he passed the love for it down to me. I think he would have enjoyed the program. I usually dvr'd programs like that for him, one of the last was Johnny Cash Rebel Heart or American Rebel. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

After you use the BBQ, the charcoal turns to ash, right? Why isn’t the charcoal put away in an area that is inaccessible to the boys? 

I believe from the pic that the charcoal was out of that fire pit thing, not the bbq.   

I don’t think this is huge incident or at all worrying. I do not like that Jill is sharing so many of the boys’ misadventures to her many hundred thousands of followers. If she is staging some of it, that’s of course worse. But no matter what, it’s exploitation.

In general, I think it would be helpful for Jill to set up the home in a way where the boys can be more free range and make messes in a way that isn’t trouble-making. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

A couple of thoughts... 

Maybe she was legally not allowed to mention them for whatever reason.

Also maybe by not me mentioning them she comes across as not "using" the duggar connection to sell books. It does sell it for her but she looks like she is isnt using them directly.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Wait, Cathy has a book?

Prediction: If Jill ever has a girl she's going to be posting pics of the girl getting into make up and her Mama's clothes and having "dramatic girl"  tantrums. #girlmom

Perhaps one of the boys had the idea to play with charcoal and Jill seized the opportunity to embellish their escapade quite a bit for her followers. #boymom #momlife

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, theotherelise said:

I believe from the pic that the charcoal was out of that fire pit thing, not the bbq.   

I don’t think this is huge incident or at all worrying. I do not like that Jill is sharing so many of the boys’ misadventures to her many hundred thousands of followers. If she is staging some of it, that’s of course worse. But no matter what, it’s exploitation.

In general, I think it would be helpful for Jill to set up the home in a way where the boys can be more free range and make messes in a way that isn’t trouble-making. 

Not to pick on you personally but more the whole conversation. I don't see the big deal here. Nothing was on fire, nothing was dangerous, it was just messy. Kids who are having fun get messy and make messes. They figured out that they could use charcoal as chalk--good for them. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic