IGNORED

Dillards 80: Everybody Take a Shot!

Georgiana

2 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

He said some time ago that he thought the show was a ministry. In other words, he assumed that the Duggars were not paid for the show. 

Well in that case he is SEVERELY! daft.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

17 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

He seems to be saying that he didn’t sign a contract. He said some time ago that he thought the show was a ministry. In other words, he assumed that the Duggars were not paid for the show. When he found out that Jim Bob was being paid, and was only doling out $ to the kids on his terms, he flounced. But yeah, I’m sure Discovery’s legal department is very amused by “lawyer up.” 

I’m confused. If DD thought it was a ministry and that he, Jill and Izzy were mere volunteers, how does he think that his family has survived since he quit his WM job? Where does he thinks the money comes from to pay his tuition, purchase a home, have a SAHW and every other thing that the Dillards have and do? Obviously the Dillards were either paid directly or JB is financing everyone. How long would it have taken an educated man to figure out where the money was coming from and how it was NOT a volunteer position? 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Oh, I think everyone knew JB was being paid.  It was probably understood that if you ‘volunteered’ (and were compliant) then Boob would pay you. 

Telling the twitterverse they were ‘volunteers’ was Derick’s way of letting people know the adult participants weren’t paid directly, as many assumed they were.

ETA: my question is, are the kidults Boob’s employees, where he is making the employer contributions that typical companies do?  Or are they categorized as contractors and therefore considered self-employed and have to make their own contributions to SS, Medicare, etc. Hmmm...

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Oh, I think everyone knew JB was being paid.  It was probably understood that if you ‘volunteered’ (and were compliant) then Boob would pay you. 

Telling the twitterverse they were ‘volunteers’ was Derick’s way of letting people know the adult participants weren’t paid directly, as many assumed they were.

ETA: my question is, are the kidults Boob’s employees, where he is making the employer contributions that typical companies do?  Or are they categorized as contractors and therefore considered self-employed and have to make their own contributions to SS, Medicare, etc. Hmmm...

Since Boob would be paid as a contractor by Figure 8/TLC, I assume that he just passes on 1099s to his kids.

• Upvote 2

I don’t think the mocking their kids is surprising at all. This is but one result of not seeing children as individuals with worth and dignity separate from parents. Kids are reflections/extensions of parents in fundie culture.

And, while I totally get sharing a private laugh with your spouse over something your kid did - parenting does require a sense of humor for sanity! - posting it is another thing.

It reminds me of the awful videos after Halloween where parents say they ate all the kid’s candy and post their reaction. Makes me furious every time.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 2

To me the 'lawyer up' comment didn't seem like he was planning on suing TLC himself but that he could see someone else suing them.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

It reminds me of the awful videos after Halloween where parents say they ate all the kid’s candy and post their reaction. Makes me furious every time.

Absolutely. And then wonder why they have trust issues as adults and need therapy, or on the contrary, become unpleasant adults as well. (I'm exaggerating obviously. One Halloween candy joke is not causing eternal trust issues, the kind of parenting that sees it as #hilar and #relatable and makes such mockery a regular occurrence, however, has the potential to do so.) 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I don’t think the mocking their kids is surprising at all. This is but one result of not seeing children as individuals with worth and dignity separate from parents. Kids are reflections/extensions of parents in fundie culture.

And, while I totally get sharing a private laugh with your spouse over something your kid did - parenting does require a sense of humor for sanity! - posting it is another thing.

I have pictures of kids and grandkids completely strung out on candy. I think they're hilarious. But, I didn't post them, My #2 granddaughter was completely done for, punch drink and oversugared in one picture. She looks like a princess that had way too much fun at the ball. 

Kidding and joking with the kids is fine..but don't throw stupid shit up in their faces EVER!!!! We have jokes that are family lore that are only funny to us. We don't go posting them or repeating them in public. And, remember, my kids are grown now and they enjoy giving each other crap about shit (it's obvious from their facebook conversations). Having the whole gang together is hours of side splitting laughter. It was the ONLY way I got through David's funeral...high doses of my crazy kids. 

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 9

9 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

Regarding suing TLC: Derick ask Bob Murray how that went when he sued John Oliver. 

True, but I imagine TLC and Jim Bob don’t want Derick or anyone else to start suing. The Duggars “survived” the Josh scandal(s) and still have a show, but I don’t think Counting On would survive another round of scrutiny and essentially a second scandal (or third, depending on how you count). They’d have to name it 19 scandals and counting then, and I’m not sure such a show could continue to pretend being wholesome entertainment. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 9

55 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

True, but I imagine TLC and Jim Bob don’t want Derick or anyone else to start suing. The Duggars “survived” the Josh scandal(s) and still have a show, but I don’t think Counting On would survive another round of scrutiny and essentially a second scandal (or third, depending on how you count). They’d have to name it 19 scandals and come counting then, and I’m not sure such a show could continue to pretend being wholesome entertainment. 

There won't be a scandal unless Jim Bob forced them to film. I don't think Derick will be able to prove that. He even said they were volunteers on the show. 

• Upvote 8

16 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

There won't be a scandal unless Jim Bob forced them to film. I don't think Derick will be able to prove that. He even said they were volunteers on the show. 

I imagine a Duggar in-law taking the family to court would be a scandal in itself. Sure, Derick might not be able to prove JB did anything illegal (mind you, I don’t expect Derick to sue in the first place) but it would totally ruin their image of a loving, tight-knit Christian family. 

• Upvote 5

In terms of legal proceedings, I’m not so sure. You have to remember that the Duggars’ brand of Christianity is verrrrrrrrrrrrry legalistic. They are bible literalist and those type of people are all in for an eye for an eye. If the Duggar girls had been molested by a stranger as opposed to their sibling, those behaviors would very likely have been treated quite differently.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Dericks rantings on twitter about how JB controls the purse strings isn't surprising, this is how he keeps them under his control.  It's also not surprising that aside from Jill & Joy, all the adults Duggar's are dependent on daddy for their livelihood. Derrick is being a mouthy dick while breaking away from the Duggar cult, Austin isn't leaving the cult, he is just refusing to be under JB's control, so I wonder if JB doesn't have some bit of respect for Austin because of this. Austin is being the head of his house and that is what a man is supposed to do, in JB's world, and so far none of his own sons, or Son's in law have been able to branch out and stand on their own. Mostly because JB & M have raised a dozen and a half kids with little to no education and little to no work ethic. Only Joy, seems to have any type of work ethic  the rest seem to prefer a less stressful lifestyle. Can you imagine ANY of the other married Duggarlings and spouses living in an RV long term while building houses by themselves? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

TLC, in Derrick's imagination: "Oh pretty please don't "quite" filming, Derrick! We so desire to capture your transphobic rantings and shitty ass parenting for your adoring public! The show, nay, our entire network, couldn't possibly survive without YOU!"

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 17

Derick was fine with that arrangement until he went and said shit about Jazz and TLC decided not to include him the show any more. While everyone knows the Duggar's have those beliefs and have expressed it before, it's one thing to say you don't support the LGBTQ community because of those beliefs and to target a 17 year old minor, who has a show on the same network. TLC were never going to stand for that. Derick is just coming across as a brat not getting his way, I may not agree with Jim Bob on a lot of things but he is still Jill's dad and she was close to him and it must be horrible for her to be caught between her husband and her dad. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I think Derick’s Jazz comments were a response to being kicked off the show, not the cause of it.  

I also think Derick does have more secrets to tell.  I have always wondered how much TLC knew about Josh before it became public.  You can’t tell me that TLC didn’t want to know why Oprah cancelled their appearance when they were already in Chicago.  I assume they didn’t know everything, but they at least had to have known something was up with Josh and purposely avoided the subject.

Derick has a ginormous sense of entitlement and is convinced TLC and Boob owe him something.  No dude, that’s now how a business works...what’s going on might not be fair or ethical, but it’s most likely legal.  I’m more convinced than ever he decided to pursue law because he wanted to get even with the people that ‘wronged’ him.

Joke’s on him, tho.  Derick the immature twit isn’t going to pass the bar much less get hired by anyone.  He’s letting his emotions get the best of him and not playing the long game.  Start adulting, Dillwank!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

15 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I have zero sympathy for the Dillards. It's his own fault for signing that contract. No one forced him to be on TV and allow his father in law to get the money. It's also hilarious that he's telling a major network to "lawyer up" like they don't have law firms on retainer that could easily bankrupt Wreck's smug ass in court.

I also think it's ridiculous how some people are eating this up and begging for him to write a tell all. Of all the people who could write about this family, Wreck would be the least believable.

Yes, I want a tell all, because as bad as DD is, JB Duggar is far, far worse and his antics have affected and continue to affect far more people. 

49 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I think Derick’s Jazz comments were a response to being kicked off the show, not the cause of it.  

I also think Derick does have more secrets to tell.  I have always wondered how much TLC knew about Josh before it became public.  You can’t tell me that TLC didn’t want to know why Oprah cancelled their appearance when they were already in Chicago.  I assume they didn’t know everything, but they at least had to have known something was up with Josh and purposely avoided the subject.

Derick has a ginormous sense of entitlement and is convinced TLC and Boob owe him something.  No dude, that’s now how a business works...what’s going on might not be fair or ethical, but it’s most likely legal.  I’m more convinced than ever he decided to pursue law because he wanted to get even with the people that ‘wronged’ him.

Joke’s on him, tho.  Derick the immature twit isn’t going to pass the bar much less get hired by anyone.  He’s letting his emotions get the best of him and not playing the long game.  Start adulting, Dillwank!

Yes, DD is very immature. Dude and his family has been supported by other people for the last 4 years. The truths of Duggarville must be really awful in order to outweigh family support for 4 years, a new house, law school tuition, cars, food, utilities...

I will believe until 100% proven otherwise that JB Duggar is a slimy, conniving, barely skirting legal and ethical human being, and where money is concerned, even more so. And the way he hides behind Christianity is appalling. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think there’s plenty of dirt there!  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I haven’t followed Derick much on twitter these past years, but I do have a little sympathy for saying stupid stuff and being filterless when trying to break free from toxic family entanglements. Or for taking passive swipes at JB on social media. 

If, in fact, that is what he and Jill are doing, it is a messy process and you have no idea what you’re doing as it goes contrary to everything ingrained. Not the same scenario, but I look back now on earlier dats of breaking free of abusive dynamics and see I did/said some crazy stuff. And I have imagine anyone trying to break free from Duggar control is villainized within the tight knit circle. It’s got to be so painful. 

I can’t imagine muddling through that with the temptation of getting sympathy and supply from thousands of followers. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

You know- it is possible Jim Bob did make Derick certain promises for marrying Jill. 
Her getting married was a big storyline at that point in the show- what if Derick was showing some hesitation about falling in line. And JB made outrageous promises to get him to agree? 

So, even discounting the show imploding with the scandals, there could be other ways JB screwed Derick.

( I’m not a fan of Derick at all- I’m just speculating...?)

• Upvote 11

I have a close family member who is a Discovery Communications (parent of TLC) attorney and I soooo want to discuss this with them. But I know they won't talk because ethics.

• Upvote 5

People need to be careful of how they frame TLC in this; the enemy of your enemy is not your friend here.   TLC is one of the big bads in all of this.  They absolutely exploit children and from what it sounds like, adults as well.  Just because you don't like Derek doesn't mean he isn't right some of the time.  He probably shouldn't be venting about this so publiclly, but I honestly would be way worse if I felt I was wronged the way he seems to.  Derek is a mess and a garbage human for some of the things he says and does.  But ranting about Boob and TLC on twitter seems kind of like what we all do here all the time, only he actually has a personal reason to give a damn.  

• Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 7

Derick is just not a kind person. He thinks his humor is “edgy,” but when it’s directed at his own toddlers, it’s just mean. I think his form of Christianity is all about being saved, getting other people saved and protecting unborn fetuses. Good people that I know, religious or not, are all about treating others with kindness and respect.

I think Derick’s issues with TLC and JB stemmed from the costs of Izzy’s birth. They were much higher than anticipated (the cost of a drama free home birth) and Derick wanted extra financial support that he wasn’t legally entitled to from TLC. He thought that since his wife was one of the two “stars” of Counting On, they were entitled to more. JB probably shot him down, letting Derick know that only he gets to negotiate with TLC. I get why Derick is pissed, but he had a degree in Accounting when he married Jill. He’s supposed to know something about money. He wanted TLC and JB to “do right” by the Dillards. TLC said talk to your money guy JB and JB wouldn’t let Derick negotiate their own deal. 

• Upvote 12

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic