IGNORED

Dillards 80: Everybody Take a Shot!

Georgiana

6 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

I'm going to be honest. We had a similar situation happen Friday night but we didn't film it for Instagram. My daughter was afraid of the Alexa timer (why? who knows) and my husband and I were cracking up and she was crying and dramatically yelling at Alexa to stop.  I did share the story with like 10 people since then though.

I do think Jill just doesn't have that filter about what is social media appropriate. Maybe because she's so sheltered. However, as a parent, as long as they made sure Isreal wasn't seriously injured, I don't fault them for laughing. They shouldn't have put it on social media though. My son is constantly doing dumb stuff that I tell him not to and when he gets hurt for it, I check on him. Then I legit tell him "I told you so."

It is those things where you know they aren't hurt and their reactions are just so over the top, that you don't know what to do but laugh. My niece was TERRIFIED of the grass as a toddler, it was hilarious to see her, she would flip her shit if you walked in the grass while carrying her. There were times it wasn't possible to avoid the grass and she would just go into melt down mode, if we were holding her or even pushing her in the stroller.  Her fat little baby legs would shoot straight out and she would just scream, It looked ridiculous, and we just laughed, she wasn't hurt, we had no way of avoiding the situation, and she was just going to scream for the sake of screaming. All we could do was laugh, and usually our laughter would distract her and make her forget about the grass. So we just laughed, and by the time she was 3 her fear of grass was forgotten, and now we can't keep her out of it. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3

"And me, still being 4, am just like... COOL MY SISTER CUT MY HAIR NOW MY HAIR LOOKS LIKE HERS - well, kind of, it's all chopped up super weird like a 6 year old would do."

Four-year-old girls cutting their own hair--or in one case where there were several girls, cutting each others--is almost a right of passage in our family. Every single one has done it--in laws included. Going back to the '50s at least.
I took care of my young granddaughters and one emerged from the bedroom with a self-done haircut that made her look like a Hassidic boy. I was worried her mom, my daughter-in-law, might be upset it happened on my watch. She just laughed and took the kid to the hairdresser for some magic.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I cut my brother’s fringe once. Mum came into the room and kinda screamed (more in surprise than anything) and my brother and I burst into tears haha :pb_lol: and my brother asked if he had to go to hospital :pb_lol: We were 7 and 3 at the time, me being the older one. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • Love 4

First time poster..super long time lurker...I cut my hair when I was 10 (got braces wax stuck right on my forehead)?. I didn't want to tell my mom and I chopped my hair off. I thought my mom would never know?. I forgot that hair grows back...never cut my hair ever again. I have curly hair my hair grew back super weird and it took years to grow out. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, nsgoblue said:

First time poster..super long time lurker...I cut my hair when I was 10 (got braces wax stuck right on my forehead)?. I didn't want to tell my mom and I chopped my hair off. I thought my mom would never know?. I forgot that hair grows back...never cut my hair ever again. I have curly hair my hair grew back super weird and it took years to grow out. 

One of the 4-year-old things was when i was in a store with mom and sister, age 4, who had like Alice in Wonderland hair, and when she turned around there was a huge gap in where her hair should be. I noticed it and said something--yes, she was 4, and not sure she has ever forgiven me for pointing out. Led to a conversation in which mom said if you don't like the hair you can say so and she got a haircut.
Everybody lived.

• Love 3

Late to the party here. I am wondering if Jill and Derrick are going to post a photo of themselves in a costume on Thursday for Halloween. They do that then they might break FJ faster than JRod announcing Nurie's courtship to Nathan Keller. Either way, I am happy to see Jill and Derrick being more opened with their practices, like celebrating Halloween, getting a nose piercing, and hanging out with a Muslim family. I don't agree with them on a lot, but I am looking forward to seeing where they are this time next year. Jim Bob and Michelle must have been livid when they realized she was celebrating Halloween with her children.

• Upvote 12

If JB and M are bothered by how their adult, married kids conduct their lives, they can stick it. They can also reflect on what JB’s father thought of how they, JB and M, conducted their adult lives, and what JB thought about his dad’s opinions. Careful JB, lest your kids spill the beans on all your horrible behaviors. JB needs to remember: Leave and cleave and the male being the headship and having the responsibility to control the atmosphere and decisions made in his own home! JB might not be able to handle that his turn is over and he is no longer in control of everyone and everything.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 2

Jill has posted on her instagram stories about free and cheap food for trick or treaters. The boys are dressed up (kinda) and it appears that they're out on a cheap food crawl:

Screenshot_20191101_011209.jpg

Screenshot_20191101_011155.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

Scrolling through IG. ? Jilly has Derdick and the boys dressed up for free and reduced food promotions It's not " Halloween, " she's spinning it as a money saving tip ala Dave Ramsay.

I've seen it all???.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 11

Fundie Halloween-shunning be damned, there's free shit to be had!

And of course white Christian savior Derick would stupidly wear a sombrero as a costume, of course. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 7

7 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Fundie Halloween-shunning be damned, there's free shit to be had!

It reeks of smugness..." HA! We're beating those evil Halloween heathens at their own game!!!! We're soooooo clever!!! Free food!" 

Ugh???

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I feel like Derick probably has a cowboy hat hanging around somewhere that he could have worn instead ?

I love Sam’s hodgepodge costume. It looks like he came up with it himself. 

• Upvote 8

Predictably, a handful of commenters on Jill's post are asking her why she's celebrating Satan's holiday.

I don't know why, but I could read crazy religious people trying to out crazy other crazy religious people in comment sections all damn day.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 21
  • I Agree 3

I'm glad at least Izzy and Sam got to have some fun. Jill even two years ago probably would have not let them celebrate Halloween at all. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Something about this makes me feel like it's a way of easing into Halloween, and maybe next year they'll do more of a church trick-or-treating event. But it definitely seems like out of all the Duggar grandkids, Israel and Sam are the most likely to get to celebrate Halloween in some quasi-regular capacity.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

I could have gone for some free Krispy Kreme myself.  Sam is very cute in his little Davy Crockett cap.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Sam is DARLING...Personally, I think he always has been, and if that IG story of him making messes and generally giving Jill a big, ole, regular kid attitude is any indication of his true self, he is easily my favorite Duggar/Dill! He and Bradley Bates are two insanely cute little boys!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

47 minutes ago, trisprefect said:

Something about this makes me feel like it's a way of easing into Halloween, and maybe next year they'll do more of a church trick-or-treating event. But it definitely seems like out of all the Duggar grandkids, Israel and Sam are the most likely to get to celebrate Halloween in some quasi-regular capacity.

I think so too. I’d be willing to bet Derick grew up trick or treating and would probably like to do that with his kids as well. Also, what parent doesn’t enjoy sneaking a Reese’s from their kids stash after bedtime? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 5

I was glad to see the Halloween pics. I too would not be surprised if next year they did a trunk-or-treat thing at a church. It's a small thing, but a huge step from the episode where they went to Disneyland and weren't allowed to look at certain characters or go on certain rides because they were too dark. Granted, some stuff there is pretty dark but it's still Disneyland..

Alyssa Bates also dressed up her kids (although their 'costumes' were really just pretty dresses I think they wanted an excuse to wear out, lol).

• Upvote 4

Noticed Cathy Dillard "liked" a comment saying that Halloween could be really fun to celebrate and it was nice to see them participating, or something to that effect. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

Alyssa Bates also dressed up her kids (although their 'costumes' were really just pretty dresses I think they wanted an excuse to wear out, lol).

IIRC, Alyssa and John took their girls trick or treating last year. With Jill and Derdick immersed in Cross Church and having a limited quiver (willingly or not) it seems there is some hope for a few to break out of some of the cult behaviors without publicly shunning all their parents beliefs. I wonder if our best hope is for some/most of the grandkids to break out. 

• Upvote 1

No comment about her “pretty awesome” video in the same Halloween post...

Ddick took the boys into krispy kreme so she could eat her chipotle buritto in the car, she even turned off the boys phonic cartoon they were watching (in the car) so she could eat her chipotle chicken burrito in peace... it’s pretty awesome....

[emoji2360] another trying to be relevant #momfail jilly! She name drops chipotle twice... makes it sound like ddick is curing cancer while also running the boys into krispy kreme, jill - newsflash... men occasionally do shit for their families!

Why does she constantly have to lick the ground he walks on???

On 10/27/2019 at 10:48 AM, finnlassie said:

Reminds me how people should NOT use the term alternative medicine - because that shit is not medicine at all!!!! The alternative to medicine is no medicine at all & at worst death. I was listening to Behind the Bastards (a very good podcast about the assholes in history and modern day) and this was mentioned in the last two episodes, that tackled the birth of homeopathy.

I am sure you didn't mean to offend anyone, but your statement above is actually pretty offensive to those of us with debilitating chronic diseases. I have an MSc and plan on doing my PhD soon, so am well versed in the scientific method/double blind placebo controlled trials/the placebo effect etc. Hence I am not speaking as a person with no scientific background. However, the simple truth is that modern medicine simply has no effective treatments for many illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis  - to name but a few. So when "real" medicine doesn't work, people can either quite frankly give up and condemn themselves to a life of hell or explore alternative medicine.

And the fact is, alternative treatments often give these people their lives back. My n=1 case in point is my boss who was housebound by a crippling and debilitating illness. The doctors told him that there were no effective treatments (there still isn't) and so he prepared to go on disability and to cope with his mostly housebound existence. One day he heard about a particular alternative treatment. He decided to try that and it became a big part of his healing. So much so he  took it up as a new career. He is no longer housebound and in fact now runs three businesses. Then there was a lady on my bladder group who healed after 30 years of debilitating interstitial cystitis by pursuing a particular alternative treatment. I could cite loads more n=1 examples, but I won't belabor the point.

Now, are these treatments working due to the placebo effect or the mind/body connection rather than the treatment itself? That is a real possibility. But quite frankly, who cares? If a treatment cures your symptoms or gets you living an active life, you simply don't care anymore. So, to my mind, as long as a treatment is safe (practitioners have to have insurance and are associated with regulatory bodies for this reason in my country), it's not worth dismissing.

I love things like antibiotics and hospitals. In fact, recently I nearly died and a hospitalisation saved me. So I am not anti standard medicine at all. In fact, I worry for the Duggar daughters who have dangerous home births etc. My point is that alternative treatments very often work when standard medicine fails. It simply does not have all the answers, and so people seek other therapies.

• Upvote 25
  • Downvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic