IGNORED

Dillards 80: Everybody Take a Shot!

Georgiana

It certainly does sound like the Derick-JB rift is a real thing. I hope for Jill’s sake it hasn’t harmed her relationships with the rest of the family. It also makes me very curious about the kids who were in Jill’s buddy group. Sure, they’re indoctrinated by their parents, but the woman who raised them is now publicly living a life their parents may not approve of, so it will be interesting to see if that helps put some doubt into their minds.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, viii said:

I thought they filmed Sam's birth episode but then not aired it because everything went south. 

Possibly, but we don't know for sure.  If they filmed it but couldn't use the footage, that would explain a lot of things.  

However, he was talking about Isruhl's birth when he spoke about hospital bills.  Once again, he's trying to let the public know how it really works in Duggarville without actually saying it.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Sam’s hospital bills would have been a lot higher, with the NICU costs unless they had insurance. I’m glad he’s telling it like it is.

• Upvote 7

Here is the thing, it is known TLC always only writes one check. They don’t give checks per person or per couple. Friends on random episodes don’t get paid. We may not like it but that’s what TLC always done. Derrick had a good job, which likely provided insurance, when he married Jill. He could have worked a normal job and taken care of his family without TV money. Instead, Derrick decided to quit his job to jump on the reality TV train and stayed on it for years while he went on trips, spent a year in El Salvador playing pastor and basically studying at church before he decided to go to law school.

When Derrick married Jill he likely lived rent-free in that huge house supplied by her family and you can’t make me believe they are living right now in a brand new house without money from Jill’s family. It’s obvious TLC money paid for their lifestyle all these years and he was a willing participant.

People have speculated maybe Derrick received money when his Dad died so that paid for things but likely any life insurance would have gone to his mother. If he did receive anything, his brother would have likely have received the same amount yet he seems to have been working constantly so it couldn’t have been much. Derrick hasn’t worked a steady job since he left Walmart, so he likely received a good amount from that check written by TLC to supply him with the lifestyle he has had since marrying Jill. I can’t feel sorry for Derrick. Personally, I haven’t seen anything to lead me to believe he actually wants to work. Yes, he is going to law school but let me know when he graduates, passes the bar and actually works a real job for more than a year. His track record doesn’t seem to lead one to believe that is going to happen. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 32
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, raspberrymint said:

What is the disagreement between D and JB about, anyway?  

My guess: molestation, money and having a child wife who has little idea how to be an actual adult in the real world, and the dumb courtship rules that did not allow DD to fully know what he was getting into.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

Here is the thing, it is known TLC always only writes one check.

How is that known? Genuine question.

• Upvote 13

Dear Derick,

Please write a tell-all.  I promise to buy it ......hardcopy!  

Thank you, 

Plurking

Edited by Timetostoplurking
Typo
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 4

That’s at least the second year old tweet he’s responded to.  Wonder what prompted this particular shit stirring session? Grub Hub not paying enough? Or just taking advantage of the season premiere?

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

Wouldn’t Israel’s birth have been covered by DD’s WM provided insurance? Or does/did WM not offer insurance to their workers? I thought all the crap between DD and Figure 8 went down after Sam’s birth and NICU stay, which would have been pricey. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Hide contents

BDD982C9-60A8-48E1-BFDD-0B06F4721FE9.thumb.jpeg.4d0da80516b8219cbf8eadc904d78b54.jpeg

Somewhat off topic, but I just did a double-take at Stalker Becky's twitter handle.  I had always thought she was pretty young, that 2001 was the year she was born.  Largely because her hate account is Reba[something]17, so I figured she was 17 when she made it.  But maybe she just made that account in 2017. Since her twitter handle is lonelyb1983, I bet she was born in '83 and graduated from high school in 2001.  I was also born in '83 and graduated in '01, so that caught my eye.  Which means she's in her mid-30s, instead of late teens.  

That makes everything she's done so much creepier. 

• Upvote 16

11 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Found a photo of us... 

D49B3C24-A625-420F-874E-9A4E19C6133A.jpeg

11 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Me rn:

56A72B8D-69FD-4CE0-9468-DACA89777EE0.thumb.jpeg.0a9fe8357efe5bb256d42471cb2cc0f8.jpeg

I'm dying over here :text-lol: Almost spit out my cappuccino!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

"Why would you hope that?" DD is such a shit-stirrer. I hope these posts have Jill's blessing, otherwise as usual he's making her life more uncomfortable. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

28 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

"Why would you hope that?" DD is such a shit-stirrer. I hope these posts have Jill's blessing, otherwise as usual he's making her life more uncomfortable. 

Because he’s really immature. Was he sold a false bill of goods? Yes, but it looks as if for the last 4 years, he’s basically been jobless, traveled, taken some educational courses, had a second kid, bought a brand new house and started law school. Someone has bankrolled that lifestyle, and it has not been DD all on his own. Jill was the person who was the most shortchanged by JB. At this point, a more mature person would be looking forward vs backwards. I do feel badly for DD that he was such a an anchorless ship in the night in 2013 that he tied himself to JB. Had his dad still been alive or his mother healthy at the time, maybe DD’s life would be very different at the moment. Frankly, he does not present as the kind of person who would naturally gravitate towards living FT in AR, marrying young or having a houseful of kids-

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

To some degree Derick knew what he was getting himself into when he married Jill. He knew she was clueless and I actually think that had to be part of the appeal. That said... 

While Derick could have been interested in the reality TV thing he may also have been surprised that it wasn't a side gig/would be constraining. I think he wants to try new things -- different jobs, travel, etc. -- and not be constrained (I'm sure he thought being headship would afford him that with his family) ... but between JB's ability to keep is family close thru various schemes and Jill's expectations that hasn't really been the case. 

If there is frustration RE how Jill's births went down, the cost, etc. I also have to believe that is wrapped up with whatever health thing happened for him during that time as well. I've always suspected a bout of depression and I can't imagine that the cult provides a healthy environment to work thru that (not to mention that'd be pretty expensive to treat too w/o insurance too). Whatever was going on may have made it hard for him to find work after returning from Central America (though tbh I forget some of the timeline). 

None of this excuses him from his juvenile behavior, however.

• Upvote 9

Wouldn’t Israel’s birth have been covered by DD’s WM provided insurance? Or does/did WM not offer insurance to their workers? I thought all the crap between DD and Figure 8 went down after Sam’s birth and NICU stay, which would have been pricey. 

If he worked either 28 or 32 hours a week I believe they would have to offer him insurance but the question is did he take it or stayed on his mother’s insurance? I know the ACA allowed for children to stay on their parents insuarance until they were 26 even if they were married. But he also might not have taken because the fine vs cost could have been cheaper.
  • Upvote 2

I have to say I'm surprised TLC wouldn't pay the hospital bill of the birth they filmed. They literally filmed a woman giving birth. The LEAST they could've done was paid that bill directly, especially if JB wasn't going to do it since he's the one the check goes to.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I have a hard time seeing DD as a victim, he is 30 years old, owns his own home is completing his 2nd degree (plus his church thing) and took time to travel for his missioncations. For someone who seems to have had a hard time committing to full time employment he seems to have done well for himself. 

Sure he has two kids and married the equivalent of a child bride BUT he married into a family made famous for having 19 kids and not believing in birth control 2 kids should not have come as a surprise. He had to have had some idea how.... unconventional Jill's upbringing was (he went on dates chaperoned by a child) even if a lot of it came as a surprise he knew their core beliefs. 

As for TLC and feeling bitter about not being properly compensated. 

He was 24 years old, working overseas and college educated. He was capable of reading a contract OR knowing that he should have had someone else read it. He agreed to be on the show and he agreed to the terms. 

I think I would have more pity if he said "I was young, I should have sought out professional advice prior to signing a contract with the show. Upon later negotiations I came to realize that I did not feel we were being fairly compensated." But it's like he wants to take 0 personal responsibility or acknowledge the privileges afforded to him by the show (Jill's jaunt to Nepal, their starter home mansion, likely funds that helped fund his missioncation in Central America) 

I don't know why but try as I might I can't muster pity for these two. Probably because DD seems to be a world class turd but he made it into law school while I'm struggling just to be able to apply for my masters and that makes me jealous. 

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 5

13 hours ago, klabourdeth said:

If he worked either 28 or 32 hours a week I believe they would have to offer him insurance but the question is did he take it or stayed on his mother’s insurance? I know the ACA allowed for children to stay on their parents insuarance until they were 26 even if they were married. But he also might not have taken because the fine vs cost could have been cheaper.

Shortly after Israel's birth, Jill posted a picture of Israel's first mail delivery.  I don't have time to go searching for the picture, but it was an envelope from either Walmart corporate or the insurance company containing his first health insurance card.  I recall a lot of criticism at the time because the home address was visible.  So, we know that the Dillards had health insurance through Walmart.  They could have COBRAed their coverage for 36 months after Derick left his job there. Sam's birth would have been during this time. Thirty six months of COBRA would have carried them to summer 2018.  Derick started law school it the University of Arkansas in August 2018.  Most Universities require that their students have health insurance or purchase it through the university so the Dillards likely have coverage, possibly under the University's plan.    

Edited by Born Skeptic
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

56 minutes ago, Born Skeptic said:

Shortly after Israel's birth, Jill posted a picture of Israel's first mail delivery.  I don't have time to go searching for the picture, but it was an envelope from either Walmart corporate or the insurance company containing his first health insurance card.  I recall a lot of criticism at the time because the home address was visible.  So, we know that the Dillards had health insurance through Walmart.  They could have COBRAed their coverage for 36 months after Derick left his job there. Sam's birth would have been during this time. Thirty six months of COBRA would have carried them to summer 2018.  Derick started law school it the University of Arkansas in August 2018.  Most Universities require that their students have health insurance or purchase it through the university so the Dillards likely have coverage, possibly under the University's plan.    

This is probable, but I'm also wincing at imaging the cost of COBRA for a family of four for 36 months. Aye yi yi. 

For our non-American FJers with more enlightened healthcare options, if someone loses their job, they're given the opportunity to continue their health insurance through their work, but they have to pay for the entire amount, instead of part of the amount being subsidized by the employer. As you can imagine, it is ridiculously expensive. IIRC, thinking about my last job that gave me the option for COBRA coverage, and it was around $450 bucks a month for just little old single me, not counting a huge deductible and a co-pays.

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 11
  • Thank You 8

Also, Derick said on Twitter that they “do [have health insurance], but there are still deductibles.” Given how legalistic he is, it’s possible that refers to the present, not when the boys were born, but I think they likely had insurance that covered some of the cost of the births.

• Upvote 5

Umm yeah, cobra for 36 months would have been ridiculous. My cobra option for coverage of my spouse and myself after leaving my last job was like $1600 a month. A whole family would be prohibitive for most. Would have made more sense to buy a private plan. Jill might have been able to get on Medicaid for Sam’s pregnancy and birth, depending on their residency.

It is pretty unhealthy IMO for Derrick to be shit posting as replies to year old tweets. Like, deal with that privately. 

I do find it interesting that DD’s whole reason for courting Jill and marrying in was that he first reached out to or was paired up with Jim Bob as a prayer partner before Nepal. It’s been a huge shift in that relationship since then.

If Jill and Derrick wanted, they could be more public about what they believe, showing a contrast with her family. Not as passive aggressive replies, but just sharing about themselves. But Jill seems to want to continue having a relationship with the family, so DD should definitely (for that reason and more) just get off social media and just live the life he wants.

That said, it probably would have been really difficult to face a five figure hospital bill while knowing that money is coming in based on your participation. I have no idea how the Dillards are paying for things or have paid for things, but I can’t imagine they are doing it dent free. 

DD seems to have had everything he needed to go into this life with his eyes wide open, but it appears he didn’t realize the problems until a couple years in. But now it’s time to just be an adult and not keep complaining. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I found his reply asking why someone was hoping he wasn't feuding with JB to be strange. I mean, ideally, a person doesn't want to be in a fight with or estranged from their wife's parents and their children's grandparents. That's common sense.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic