IGNORED

Brand new pet owner...

viii

So I'm in the processing of getting a cat for the first time. We had a cat when I was young, but he lived in my dad's shop and didn't affect my daily life. So I'm really new to cat owning, but I feel like I'm ready for it. I have my own two bedroom apartment, so dogs aren't allowed, otherwise I'd probably lean more towards a puppy. However, I'm excited to get a cat (a Ragdoll) and was looking for any tips to help kitten adjust to her new life! (Hoping to get the kitten in the beginning of 2020) 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

Congratulations!!! 

Get her used to having all four paws touched so that you’ll be able to keep her nails short. It’s possible to trim them even if they hate it, but it’s much easier if you can start young. 

Make sure you give her toys to play with rather than fingers. If they bite them as babies, they will potentially continue as adults and that’s not nearly as cute! 

Check out Kitten Lady on YouTube. She has a video called “How to stop kittens from biting you.” This video is very useful.

I volunteer at a cat shelter with the cats who have more behavioral “issues”. Most of them aren’t aggressive, they simply never learned to not attack hands as kittens and so it makes them less adoptable as adults. So yeah, that’s a huge one for me. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

In addition to what @Giraffe has already told you,  you might look at some of Jackson Galaxy's videos on YouTube and his books.  There are also some articles on his website.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

The sooner you realize the cat is the boss of everything the better it will be.  It took me a long time to submit to cat headship but things went much better as soon as I realized that I’m not the boss. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

Yes, my friend got a kitten and I was bad at playing with my fingers and now he will bite me. So I want to learn differently with my own. I have big intentions on teaching her to sleep in her own room, walk on a leash, etc. 

I cant afford two at this point. I want to make sure I can afford nice things. 

• Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

I cant afford two at this point. I want to make sure I can afford nice things. 

I understand your point and I also get your desire for a cat (Ragdolls are gorgeous!). As someone who unfortunately has experience with a very lonely single cat (we eventually moved and he could go outside and became a happy cat), my heart breaks for every kitty who has to stay inside and has no companion to play with, especially if you are working all day. Maybe it would be an option to delay your plans until you can afford two cats?

4 hours ago, Smash! said:

I understand your point and I also get your desire for a cat (Ragdolls are gorgeous!). As someone who unfortunately has experience with a very lonely single cat (we eventually moved and he could go outside and became a happy cat), my heart breaks for every kitty who has to stay inside and has no companion to play with, especially if you are working all day. Maybe it would be an option to delay your plans until you can afford two cats?

That’s essentially where I’m at right now. I have put everything on hold because I just don’t feel like I would be home enough and I don’t want a lonely cat. Not only would I feel bad if it was sad and lonely, but that can lead to destruction and I’m not willing to sacrifice my stuff. 

• Love 2