IGNORED

Princess Beatrice is Engaged to Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi

adidas

On 7/22/2020 at 6:18 PM, tabitha2 said:

But the Windsor’s  are not and have never been spendthrift or grand as Royals go(Excluding Andrew IMO)  In fact they are frugal relatively speaking. I would say they dress appropriately  For all occasions With some occasions calling  for the expensive gown with jewels or tailor made suit.  

Interesting observation. But can you give examples? Where are the BRF more frugal „as royals go?“. Just because most of the still very rich peerage doesn’t act like new money doesn’t mean they are frugal. I think we might be talking about different things?

• Upvote 3

On 7/22/2020 at 9:11 AM, just_ordinary said:

I can only remember two repeats from tiara occasions but I might be wrong. And I will give it to her- there have only been 10-12 till now. The point still stands. They pay very good money for things. They can afford that because they are very rich. I doubt they think a lot about it because there are enough cheaper options out there that look just as great/ people live very good with a different standard. I am not against it by the way. Even though I think Kate can definitely re-wear more of her day dresses and coats (she has so many similar ones that I start to mix them all up). But let’s not pretend the royals live a modest lifestyle. That’s a conundrum as far as I am concerned. Wearing a hell out of all those Jewels doesn’t not make them look worse in that regard.

I never said they live a modest lifestyle. Except Anne truly does. I mean really, how many women her age are still pulling outfits from 30-40 years ago out of their closets? I’d guess almost none. Most would have a huge fit issue there for starters. 
You said they buy high priced clothing and wear it once. That isn’t true.  The only person on the family that rarely repeated an outfit was Diana. So like everything she did, people decided that was the norm. It never has been. That was my point. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Even Diana had dresses reworked and wore them again. I'm sure none of us could have afforded the originals, let alone the repair work done on them... 

Which makes me think of a favorite blog I used to look at daily: New Dress a Day. This woman decided that, based on the gal who spent a year making one of Julia Child's recipes until she'd made them all, that SHE would, in order to save money, buy something from the Goodwill/thrift shop and re-do it in order to enlarge her wardrobe. Her goal was to spend only a dollar or less a day.

That girl did a lot of good with her patterns and really changed the looks of a lot of ugly 80s fashion by cutting off sleeves, shoulder pads, belts, peplums.. changing full skirts into pencil skirts, etc...

However, she was about a size two, and I am (ahem) larger, and it's harder for me to find these things at Goodwill to rework into something smaller or more fitted, because most everything is already not my size. Still fun to look at and full of ideas.

• Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

@Four is Enough, thank you for the referral to New Dress A Day.  I looked it up and am enjoying!

Rummaging around on Instagram I've become aware of those who follow Williams & Kate.  I've become something of a fan - she's such a  breath of air after Jill Rodrigues and her wardrobe is approachable for most women.  Not that all women wear her size 0 or 2! But that the looks she gets can be translated  - at least  in part - to any woman's clothes.

I'm thinking of the white collars that perk up a darker dress, or the variety of cuts of skirts she wears.  There's an Australian company called "dress like a duchess" which sells replicas of some of her outfits for less than AUS$200.  A young woman going into law practice was appreciative to find out about them, as she will occasionally want a dress in lieu of a skirted or pants suit.

Finally, much is made that Kate "shops the high street"??? - buys from mid-range places like H&M and Zara (I think?).  That, plus her nicely done makeup and incredible hair, and I've become something of a royals watcher.

So glad this quiver is here!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Evil Martin Short?

Back to Beatrice's wedding - am I the only one who thinks he looks like the great comedian and actor Martin Short, here? An evil Martin Short, due to how he kicked out his pregnant baby momma to pursue Bea, but Martin Short all the same?

Also - can someone relieve my years of suffering and tell me how to pronounce the name Eugenie?  you-JEAN-ee? YOU-zhuh-nee? Merci in advance-y!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Also - can someone relieve my years of suffering and tell me how to pronounce the name Eugenie?  you-JEAN-ee? YOU-zhuh-nee? Merci in advance-y!!!

I'm pretty sure it's you-JEAN-ee

• Love 1

14 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:Also - can someone relieve my years of suffering and tell me how to pronounce the name Eugenie?  you-JEAN-ee? YOU-zhuh-nee? Merci in advance-y!!!

It’s YOU-zhuh-nee. Fergie makes a joke about it sound the same as ‘use your knees’ 

Haha looks like Eugenie uses the same reminder:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.macleans.ca/royalty/how-you-do-you-say-princess-eugenies-name-hint-its-not-you-gee-knee/amp/

Adding:

Sorry I missed @tabitha2 ‘a post!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, adidas said:

It’s YOU-zhuh-nee. Fergie makes a joke about it sound the same as ‘use your knees’ 

Haha looks like Eugenie uses the same reminder:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.macleans.ca/royalty/how-you-do-you-say-princess-eugenies-name-hint-its-not-you-gee-knee/amp/

Adding:

Sorry I missed @tabitha2 ‘a post!

What a good sport she is to shrug off the mispronunciations ! 

My given name is one that lends itself to the diminutive even by people who’ve just met me. It’s annoyed me for decades but heck, if Eugenie can “whatever” away the mispronunciations, I can do the same with people who see my name and call me by my baby name. 

Side benefit: If someone shouts out my baby name at a social gathering (remember those?), I know it’s probably not anybody I’m going to be overjoyed to see! LOL 

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Presumably something British upperclass trendy but neither  Very Kre8tive or very old fashioned. Oliver, Leo or Aiden and the like. Almost certainly Andrew will be a middle name. 

• Upvote 1

Can't wait to see what the name is. Eugenie herself was a bit of a surprise (though yes I know it has royal roots) whereas Jack is so very common and plain, so I'm curious to see what they'll go with. 

• Upvote 5

I’m guessing Philip as a middle name, or possibly Victor.

First names are hard to guess because they don’t really have to follow any rules. If they go with a traditional name, maybe Arthur or Theodore. 

• Upvote 3

I think something more classic/traditional for a first name but not a "royal" name necessarily. Not a trendy/creative name. Eugenie seems to respect the monarchy and tradition a lot. 

Middle names are anyone's guess. But not a single great grandson has Phillip in his name--I wonder if Phillip told them he doesn't want any more namesakes? Two grandsons--William and James--do. Anne couldn't very well add it to her son's name as that would have been awkward. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

23 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Anne couldn't very well add it to her son's name as that would have been awkward. 

I kind of like Phillip Phillips ?

I knew a John Johnson! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

August is a good name. Not 100% my taste, but a solid choice.

I'm severely disappointed there is no Stamp. Where does the Hawke come from? ?

• Upvote 2

Hawke is also a family name from the Brooksbanks. Apparently Hawke is a 5x great-grandfather on Jack’s side and August is one of the middle names of Prince Albert, a 5x great-grandfather on Eugenie’s side.

• Thank You 4