IGNORED

Princess Beatrice is Engaged to Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi

adidas

Love Beatrice's wedding look.   If I'd been asked to predict what she might wear I would have said something vintage inspired.  I wouldn't have been surprised if she used a vintage portrait or photograph for inspiration.  To see her wear a vintage Norman Hartnell gown from the Queen's collection along with the Queen's wedding tiara was just amazing.

The floral arches at British weddings are stunning.  I read that most of the flowers came from the gardens at Windsor.

One of the articles said that the Queen specifically wanted Beatrice to wear this tiara.  If that's the case, it has now been worn by 3 generations of blood princesses on their wedding day.  All of whom were the oldest princess of their generation.  Maybe it's next wedding appearance will be on Charlotte's head.

Kate hasn't worn her wedding tiara since the wedding as it's part of a travelling exhibit of Cartier jewels.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

I imagine Lady Louise Windsor will be the next to wear if they are starting oldest daughter/princess  tradition. Thought Zara did not so maybe thats not a thing 

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

What annoys me, is the narrative spun around the tiara. I am actually convinced the Queen doesn’t care too much about it. Yes, it was her wedding tiara, but she has only repeated it once- after 39 years and it wasn’t the biggest or most important occasion.

Kate hasn’t brought back the Halo (by the Queens standard she has plenty of time though) and many assume she isn’t fond of it. It’s sad because it looked so perfect on her.

HM probably hadn’t too much choice for her wedding, maybe non at all. It’s still pretty unclear how the British royal brides come to their tiara. Can they hand in a favourite? Are they just given 1 choice or a selection? What comes first- tiara or dress?

So yeah, Beatrice wearing the fringe isn’t the most outstanding thing but her dress choice is. Wearing your grandmothers dress can be a very sentimental and beautiful gesture (would have loved to wear my grandmother’s dress for the civil part of getting married but she had thrown it away. Can you believe it???).

I've read a lot about the BRF jewels... (I'm a jewelry geek. Don' t have much, but like it a lot..) Did you know that the fringe tiara, like several others the Queen owns, can come off its base and be used for a necklace? There are photos of her wearing it in that way. 

On a cursory search, I found quite a few photos of HM wearing the tiara, along with her mother and grandmother wearing it. I'd say it was a favorite.

I didn't like the halo tiara.. don't know why.. I was hoping Kate'd wear the Girls of Ireland and England tiara for her wedding, but of course that one is a favorite of the Queen...

I loved the style of Meghan's and of Eugenie's tiaras. I believe they get to express a preference, but it's up to the queen to allow the use of the piece.

I love Beatrice in the dress and the fringe, and I am glad to see the closeness between HM and her grandchildren.

I have both my grandmother's wedding dress and the pattern she made it from. I'd have worn it, too, save she was both MUCH bustier than i am, and about 6 inches shorter...

ETA: This is HM wearing the Queen Mary fringe tiara, and the Princess Louise Kokoshnik tiara as a necklace.

image.png.26eac2e8e6892a30af09fc68e9253bee.png

Edited by Four is Enough
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I like the tiaras Meghan and Eugenie wore best. 

Wasn’t there discussion when Meghan got married that she originally wanted the tiara Eugenie wore but she was denied so she selected the closest thing to it? Not sure if that was ever verified as true, though. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, viii said:

Wasn’t there discussion when Meghan got married that she originally wanted the tiara Eugenie wore but she was denied so she selected the closest thing to it? Not sure if that was ever verified as true, though. 

I don't know who would have leaked that to the press.. but... it sounds plausible.  There are so many to choose from, though, I'm sure I would have had a second, third, fourteenth choice..

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, viii said:

I like the tiaras Meghan and Eugenie wore best. 

The Queen has another tiara with emeralds that is better known than the one Eugenie wore.   Very few people knew about Eugenie's tiara before her wedding so I don't know how Meghan would have known about it.   Googling "Queen Elizabeth Emerald tiara"  brings up images of this, which is one of the Queen's favourite tiaras and not likely to be loaned out.grand-duchess-vladimir-tiara-emeralds-22

• Upvote 3

I have read that for Meghan and Kate the Queen selected a few tiaras for them to choose from. Kate’s parents gave her custom made earrings that matched her wedding tiara which she has worn again so it’s unlikely that she disliked her wedding tiara.  It is rumored that the emerald tiara was chosen for or by Eugenie long before her wedding. That may have been the case for this one for Bea as well. Interestingly, none of the Queen’s daughters-in-law borrowed a tiara. Diana’s was the Spencer family tiara and Sophie and Sarah were gifted new ones. Camilla did not wear one. 
The Queen has not frequently worn the Queen Mary Fringe tiara in part because it did not belong to her until her mother’s death. It belonged to the Queen Mother then was bequeathed to her.  Obviously it has sentimental value as she sat for a portrait in it and Princess Anne wore it for her first wedding. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

There are dozens of Pieces of jewelry from rings to Tiaras gifted to the Queen Over the years or family pieces sitting in the jewel vaults that have not seen seen the light of day in decades because they are hard to wear and they don’t suit her taste. Probably many have been dismantled or reset long ago. 

@VGL That Tiara has interchangeable drop pearls and emeralds. It's the Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara :) 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, VGL said:

The Queen has another tiara with emeralds that is better known than the one Eugenie wore.   Very few people knew about Eugenie's tiara before her wedding so I don't know how Meghan would have known about it.   Googling "Queen Elizabeth Emerald tiara"  brings up images of this, which is one of the Queen's favourite tiaras and not likely to be loaned out.grand-duchess-vladimir-tiara-emeralds-22

I think there are a lot of tiaras that will only ever be worn by a Queen. It’s a complicated set up at play. There are the Crown Jewels, some are deemed heirlooms owned by the Queen in right of the Crown and pass from monarch to monarch and others are part of the Royal Collection and at the sole discretion of a monarch. I am actually not sure what status all the pieces have so I go with my gut here.

The Grand Vladimir and State Diadem (not part of the actual Crown Jewels) will probably never sit on a head that isn’t Queen (Consort). Same goes for the Burmese Ruby and the Girls of Ireland and Britain. Maybe we will see them on Kate after she is Princess of Wales but I somehow doubt it. Wearing the Lover’s Knot is nice practice for the Grand Vladimir though.

It will be interesting which tiaras Camilla will choose. She and Charles work hard to gain the public’s favours. Not using the Princess of Wales title and mostly sticking to one tiara was a very sensible option. I wonder if she will continue to do so when her time comes. She has already created quite the iconic look for herself (Grevillea and Pearl chokers). But I do expect a bit more variation from a Queen. 

Kate just starts to get more bold in her choices and she hasn’t yet found the right way to wear them in my opinion. I liked the more filigrane options she has and I think a fringe would work nice too. I also desperate to see the Teck crescent, the Strathmore Rose and the other Fringe on her head.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Interesting remark about Camilla. IMO, she's the only one of the RF who can pull off that Grenville monstrosity. It's HUGE, and Camilla's hair has to be done 80s style (big) in order to offset it.  Once it's on, she looks good in it, but I can't see HM or any of her daughters or DILs in it..

So I just googled the Teck Crescent and Strathmore rose tiaras.. the QM wore the second on her forehead like she wore the lotus one in the 20s. Very avant garde, the  QM.. but when I googled fringe tiaras, the feed exploded. Who knew there were so many spread out all over Europe??

The Teck Crescent: apparently the bottom is removeable. Google says this hasn't been worn since before WWII

image.png.edeabd8dcd97c9837969af7642a4b275.png

The Strathmore rose:

image.png.412585084718ab23420bc787cb6e443b.png

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

If I was a Queen or a Princess I’d be Wanting to wear a tiara every day. Like EVERY day. Is there a reason we hardly ever see the Queen in them? I assume there are some rules around when they are worn? Or does she just not like them in general? She seems very non-fussy and practical. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

If I was a Queen or a Princess I’d be Wanting to wear a tiara every day. Like EVERY day. Is there a reason we hardly ever see the Queen in them? I assume there are some rules around when they are worn? Or does she just not like them in general? She seems very non-fussy and practical. 

They used to wear them more often. Basically to any formal event. Now they are typically only seen at events like state dinners and the annual diplomatic reception and of course opening parliament . I think it’s just not flaunting wealth and position to the masses anymore. 
I’d be rocking one in the tub ala Princess Margaret.  ?? 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 7

I've read that they are heavy on the head and more than one of the women has said they can get headaches from wearing some of the tiaras.  That sounds like disincentive to wear them plus they probably inhibit movement so you don't cause them to slip or slide.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I’d be rocking one in the tub ala Princess Margaret.  ?? 

Right? Although I guess getting in and out of the jewel safe would be a hassle...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Interesting remark about Camilla. IMO, she's the only one of the RF who can pull off that Grenville monstrosity. It's HUGE, and Camilla's hair has to be done 80s style (big) in order to offset it.  Once it's on, she looks good in it, but I can't see HM or any of her daughters or DILs in it..

So I just googled the Teck Crescent and Strathmore rose tiaras.. the QM wore the second on her forehead like she wore the lotus one in the 20s. Very avant garde, the  QM.. but when I googled fringe tiaras, the feed exploded. Who knew there were so many spread out all over Europe??

The Teck Crescent: apparently the bottom is removeable. Google says this hasn't been worn since before WWII

image.png.edeabd8dcd97c9837969af7642a4b275.png

The Strathmore rose:

image.png.412585084718ab23420bc787cb6e443b.png

Was the QM seen wearing the Strathmore Rose later? It sounds like it could have remained with the Strathmores after she married.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think so as the Strathmore Rose was in an exposition of the Queens Diamonds In 2002. More likely the QM just Moved on to more mature more grand pieces as befitting her status and honestly while it’s pretty it is very dated. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I don’t think so as the Strathmore Rose was in an exposition of the Queens Diamonds In 2002. More likely the QM just Moved on to more mature more grand pieces as befitting her status and honestly while it’s pretty it is very dated. 

But aren’t they all? There are at least a hand of pieces that have aged far worse. And many are actually pretty young. 

The Brazilian Aquamarin Parure

Spoiler

295C1CBE-DA87-4272-A074-43BF95631FA3.jpeg.4fd0b13bf5c4f9a368c9eec5de5a1eac.jpeg

The now used form was made in 1971  the big centre stone looks weirdly out of place with the rest of the design. I wish HM would have stayed with the 1957 design.

The Burmese Ruby

Spoiler

E2919CB8-C633-4982-8A93-3979F3B242F9.thumb.jpeg.67d1802be7209647b1a7abae7491ade8.jpeg

This 1973 tiara doesn’t work at all in my opinion. And to think she dismantled the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara for it..... 

The Modern Sapphire

Spoiler

4455BE29-61DE-4A14-8FCE-754C4277FE5A.jpeg.3318e21cc3a2fd80b4d26213152c8049.jpeg

It was originally a necklace that belonged to Princess Louise of Belgium (1858-1924). She had to sell it and that is how it ended up with HM in 1963. I do understand she wanted to fill the void of a Sapphire tiara in her Sapphire collection. This specific one doesn’t suit her and probably should have stayed a necklace.

The Oriental Circlet

Spoiler

6E323CF9-C26F-42E2-B14A-BB64CBC501CA.thumb.jpeg.cd6f3a38df2d19e1e9b146d0b6091a43.jpeg

Commissioned by Prince Albert for his wife in 1853. I don’t care for it’s spiky design that is additionally swallowing the Rubies. It went through a lot of changes (I think initially it had opals instead of rubies- might have worked better).

The Delhi Durbar 

Spoiler

3CE0763C-4D84-49A3-BAF0-C50098618000.jpeg.11fea90c22ecd518d2affa5a4a5cbc7e.jpegAE84875C-56E4-486D-9960-B4BEAF86B157.jpeg.7d84d4415f5c5999048ab19e20412b57.jpeg

The biggest tiara in her collection, dimensional wise. Created in 1911, mostly with stones from a looped diamond tiara (I would rather see that one, honestly), it’s a massive piece. It’s purpose was to stand in for the Crown Jewels (that are not allowed to leave the UK) when George V. to celebrate being the new Emperor of India in India. As solution a new crown and tiara were made. Camilla has worn it at least once. The piece only works worn closed in the back in my opinion. But that also makes its purpose pretty clear and it’s probably not easy to find a head and an engagement that can take it.

She also has some beautiful and timeless pieces. The State Diadem, Halo, Vladimir and the Fringes and the Girls for example.
But the Lotus, Cresecent and Strathmore are very delicate and pretty cool pieces in my opinion. A bit more playful, not too big and very romantic. I think they would shine on Kate (or any darker haired person). Her up dos aren’t as puffy as Camillas or Diana’s. That’s why she cannot pull of the Lover’s Knot. It seems to push her down. She should re-evaluate what is more important to her- hairstyle or tiara and change one accordingly. 

The BRF is the most restricted when it comes to dashing out. They don’t even wear them for weddings. Can you imagine what a fantastic spectacle it would be if the Queen, her cousins, the York’s, Sophie, Anne, Camilla, Kate and Meghan would show up in tiaras. And eating, necklaces and bracelets to complete the look of course. 
They should definitely bring them out more. Yes, it’s lavish. But honestly- their whole lifestyle is. Purchasing an evening gown for several thousand pounds and only wearing it once is extremely lavish. Flying away to luxurious resorts for your holiday every year is lavish. At least the tiaras are already there just waiting to be brought out. I don’t think anyone will criticise them for wearing old family jewellery. Apart from pointing out the history some of those pieces hold.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

@just_ordinary Except evening gowns are rarely worn just once. The Queen wore the one Bea used at least twice. Kate has repeated almost every gown she owns at least once.  There’s one I’m fairly certain she’s worn three times (no time to look it up right now). And Princess Anne hasn’t bought anything new, evening gown or otherwise, since maybe 1983 ( that’s barely an exaggeration unfortunately). 
Even Diana rewore some of her clothes and probably repeated one at some point. 

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

@just_ordinary Except evening gowns are rarely worn just once. The Queen wore the one Bea used at least twice. Kate has repeated almost every gown she owns at least once.  There’s one I’m fairly certain she’s worn three times (no time to look it up right now). And Princess Anne hasn’t bought anything new, evening gown or otherwise, since maybe 1983 ( that’s barely an exaggeration unfortunately). 
Even Diana rewore some of her clothes and probably repeated one at some point. 

I can only remember two repeats from tiara occasions but I might be wrong. And I will give it to her- there have only been 10-12 till now. The point still stands. They pay very good money for things. They can afford that because they are very rich. I doubt they think a lot about it because there are enough cheaper options out there that look just as great/ people live very good with a different standard. I am not against it by the way. Even though I think Kate can definitely re-wear more of her day dresses and coats (she has so many similar ones that I start to mix them all up). But let’s not pretend the royals live a modest lifestyle. That’s a conundrum as far as I am concerned. Wearing a hell out of all those Jewels doesn’t not make them look worse in that regard.

• Upvote 2

I think The Strathmore Rose and the Lotus tiaras look much better on a younger head. They just give me the "youth" vibe..

The tiaras with colored gemstones all look weird to me, except the Oriental circlet. It seems the most balanced. There is one with diamonds and turquoise, which I've only seen once,  which seems very strange. Turquoise goes with pearls, abalone, coral, silver.... not diamonds.

I knew I'd seen another large tiara on Camilla. Thanks for picking it up.

I kind of like that each individual royal has certain pieces that they are identified with.  When the Queen hands out loaner pieces, that makes it even more special. 

And I think Kate looks great in the Lover's Knot tiara. My favorite one on her is the Lotus, but that's my personal favorite, I think..

And Eugiene in that Kokoshnik... loved her.

• Upvote 2

But the Windsor’s  are not and have never been spendthrift or grand as Royals go(Excluding Andrew IMO)  In fact they are frugal relatively speaking. I would say they dress appropriately  For all occasions With some occasions calling  for the expensive gown with jewels or tailor made suit.  

I think Bea looked lovely in her dress but, in my opinion, the Queen wore it better. In fact, the Queen absolutely rocked it (probably because it was made for her). My one dislike about the original style is the somewhat bubble hem, but I do think the pattern of sparkles on the skirt are shown off better when it is worn in a fuller style the way HM wore it. The new hem is just blah to me and not befitting the rest of the style, and the sleeves, while nicely done, add a bit of a childlike quality to the dress.

Still, I like it better than any of the other recent royal wedding dresses I have seen. I guess I'm a bit of a sucker for embellishment.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

For some of the best discussions of BRF jewelry & fashion, check out Her Majesty's Jewel Vault. They have a writeup of the wedding.

Alas, its companion blog, The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor, has been on hiatus for the past year and a half, but it's still up and the archives are worthwhile if you like these things.

I like Beatrice's refashioning of the dress. The couple look very happy and I hope they will be. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

@GoddessOfVictory, I loved the rockabilly vibe the dress gave with that  big flat hem, LOL! Suffice it to say both HM and Bea looked great in that dress and I'm just thrilled to see that it was re-used in that way...

And @hoipolloi I do love blogs about royal jewels.. thanks for the links again. I'd lost sartorial splendor.

And then there's the question, "Granny, I'd like to borrow one of your old dresses to get married." 

How does that conversation go down, when your granny is the Queen?

• Upvote 1