IGNORED

Maxwell 33: Managers of Their Vests

Coconut Flan

I noticed that Griselda Teri called him Uncle Dick with Richard in parentheses.  Did she really think the leghumpers would think her uncle was named a slang term for a penis.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

In today’s post, Teri writes about Steve’s diet, which has become Teri’s diet (no snark there, if that’s what she wants to do).

There are pictures. 

But no explanations. 

I’d like to know what is in the Mason jars. With what do they serve the contents? Do they heat the contents? How many jars does Terry fill at a time and how long do they stay fresh? When do they eat them? Lunch and supper? Just supper? 

Sigh

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I noticed that Griselda Teri called him Uncle Dick with Richard in parentheses.  Did she really think the leghumpers would think her uncle was named a slang term for a penis.

I signed into fj to see if anyone else noticed it.  When I read that blog post, I burst out laughing.  Could you imagine what it's like going through life like that?  Don't say deviled eggs!  Make sure you tell people that your uncle isn't a dick head!  It's not healthy to be that neurotic.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the bible verse at the end of Teri's post contradict the concept of doing physical exercise? 

“For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable
unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of
that which is to come.”
1 Timothy 4:8 

The way fundies 'interpret' scripture really, really annoys me - if it's good enough to be taken literally some of the time, it ought to be good enough to take literally all the time IMHO.

Edited by courtlylove
Edited to fix auto-incorrect!
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

I thought the same thing. Although to the Maxwells, the overarching point I suppose is that Steve knows where he will go when he dies, so it’s all good. This life is temporary. It’s hard to think like a Maxwell. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I noticed that too. I had a uncle Richard but we called him uncle Dick. 

• Upvote 3

I knew someone who refused to call a man Dick. It was Richard or nothing, even though everyone called him Dick. Worst part? She worked in the medical field. Couldn’t believe it!

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

GrisTeri usually so obviously looks at her Concordance for the key word in her blog-in-progress and goes with it.

Except this time she seems to be in major depressive mode. “Diet? Exercise?  Pointless. Better have your beliefs in order, because we’re all gonna die anyway. Yeah, I walk with him and cook healthy for him but what’s the point?” 

Teri might as well just look at the book of Ecclesiastes and lament her way through life. 

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, usmcmom said:

In today’s post, Teri writes about Steve’s diet, which has become Teri’s diet (no snark there, if that’s what she wants to do).

There are pictures. 

But no explanations. 

I’d like to know what is in the Mason jars. With what do they serve the contents? Do they heat the contents? How many jars does Terry fill at a time and how long do they stay fresh? When do they eat them? Lunch and supper? Just supper? 

Sigh

According to the book they are following, they eat no meat, no dairy, no sugar, no non whole grain pasta, bread, no oil, no salt.

Why must they be so rigid about everything?  Why not cut back instead of cutting out everything?

• Upvote 10

Looks like Chelsy has commented.

54F56FA8-41F3-4901-B001-003506105A0D.thumb.png.f9146b1bf475a422fc58dc9ee4f08362.png

I always find it a little odd when people refer to their in-laws as Mom/Dad. It just seems weird to me. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

On 10/5/2019 at 9:20 PM, kpmom said:

That name is definitely Joan.  Gee,  why lie about that of all things?

And according to Teri's post, Richard was her uncle, not brother. 

Yes, I think a lot of us on first reading thought the post was written by Sarah (as are most of them) but it is Teri's post and Teri's uncle. I did a little internet sleuthing - he was Gigi's brother, and he died in 2003. His obituary doesn't mention anything spiritual other than heavy involvement in Masonry, which I have to think would've been a problem for Steve and Teri (although many Christians are part of Masonic groups without issue.) 

Is there any chance the name is actually Jean, not Joan? His wife's name was Norma Jean. They were married in 1965 - so no matter what, they were married by the time he got this Bible, whoever it was from - and she died in 1989.

4 hours ago, courtlylove said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the bible verse at the end of Teri's post contradict the concept of doing physical exercise? 

“For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable
unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of
that which is to come.”
1 Timothy 4:8 

The way fundies 'interpret' scripture really, really annoys me - if it's good enough to be taken literally some of the time, it ought to be good enough to take literally all the time IMHO.

In the fundie circles I grew up in, I always heard this explained as "exercise is a waste of time and only spiritual things matter." Then we got a pastor who was on a health kick and lost a whole bunch of weight by literally cutting out every unhealthy thing from his diet. He then preached a sermon on how "bodily exercise profiteth A little," meaning it DID matter, just not as much as spiritual things, but also it was now a sin to be overweight/enjoy your food.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Bethy said:

Yes, I think a lot of us on first reading thought the post was written by Sarah (as are most of them) but it is Teri's post and Teri's uncle. I did a little internet sleuthing - he was Gigi's brother, and he died in 2003. His obituary doesn't mention anything spiritual other than heavy involvement in Masonry, which I have to think would've been a problem for Steve and Teri (although many Christians are part of Masonic groups without issue.) 

Is there any chance the name is actually Jean, not Joan? His wife's name was Norma Jean. They were married in 1965 - so no matter what, they were married by the time he got this Bible, whoever it was from - and she died in 1989.

In the fundie circles I grew up in, I always heard this explained as "exercise is a waste of time and only spiritual things matter." Then we got a pastor who was on a health kick and lost a whole bunch of weight by literally cutting out every unhealthy thing from his diet. He then preached a sermon on how "bodily exercise profiteth A little," meaning it DID matter, just not as much as spiritual things, but also it was now a sin to be overweight/enjoy your food.

Ooh! Did he know Gwen “Bones” Shamblin? Just kidding. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

I also see the “bodily exercise profiteth little” as being compared to spiritual exercise. The Maxwell kidults do their workouts every morning and hike all those 14ers in Colorado, so “bodily” exercise is clearly important to them (particularly because those are things they can do in their own home rather than having to join a gym or sports club and thereby avoid ebil outside influences). 

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I always find it a little odd when people refer to their in-laws as Mom/Dad. It just seems weird to me. 

I do too. I love my parents and had a great upbringing and to me calling someone else mom/dad is a slap in their face. I have called my friend's parents (when I was a teen) Ma Smith <last name> because they didn't want to be called Mrs. Smith and somone's grandma "Grandma Smith". So to me that was a compromise but now that we are all adults, I call them by their first name. Besides the grandma, she will be "Grandma <last name>" until the day she dies, a lot of her day care kids called her that. 

I know people do it out of endearment to their in-laws but I just can't. I have a SIL that does this but nope, not going to happen with me. I will tell my children "Go say by to Grandma xxxx" and talk about them using Grandma/grandpa titles in front the kids but when I talk to my husband about his mom I say something like "what did your mom say?" always "your mom". 

Maybe this all makes me weird! :) 

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I knew someone who refused to call a man Dick. It was Richard or nothing, even though everyone called him Dick. Worst part? She worked in the medical field. Couldn’t believe it!

What would she do when interacting with people with the last name Johnson?!  :pearlclutching:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

19 hours ago, louannems said:

According to the book they are following, they eat no meat, no dairy, no sugar, no non whole grain pasta, bread, no oil, no salt.

Why must they be so rigid about everything?  Why not cut back instead of cutting out everything?

Because Steve lacks self-control.

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

It’s still there for me.

Thanks - I refreshed the page and it came up.  Weird!

I agree it looks like “Joan”.  Also I think it’s written as if written to a non believer.... I’m not Christian so perhaps I’m taking it personally- do Christians write like that to each other?

• Upvote 5

On 10/7/2019 at 7:30 PM, mango_fandango said:

54F56FA8-41F3-4901-B001-003506105A0D.thumb.png.f9146b1bf475a422fc58dc9ee4f08362.png

Me too. And I'm surprised that Chelsy does it, as close as she is to her family of origin. Plus I admit that I don't find Teri or especially Steve very likable, so it's strange to me to see anyone other than their kids act as though they are.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

I find it perculiar that they go to such lengths for Steve (and Teri's) diets, but the "children" still seem to eat carb heavy crapola. If I were one of the kids I might be scared into following my Father into healthy eating.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

Me too. And I'm surprised that Chelsy does it, as close as she is to her family of origin. Plus I admit that I don't find Teri or especially Steve very likable, so it's strange to me to see anyone other than their kids act as though they are.

I wonder if Teri & Steve expect their daughter’s in law to call them mom & dad. I’m sure they don’t want them to call them by their first names. 

• Upvote 4

On 10/7/2019 at 7:30 PM, mango_fandango said:

It doesn’t bother me too much depending on the family. Some families are just very warm and welcoming and it makes sense that they are using those loving terms. However Steve Maxwell is not like that. At all. And the thought of Steve’s daughters in law are actually calling him dad makes me cringe. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Some families are just very warm and welcoming and it makes sense that they are using those loving terms. However Steve Maxwell is not like that. At all. And the thought of Steve’s daughters in law are actually calling him dad makes me cringe. 

I feel the same way. My mother referred to my grandmother as mom, but my mother’s mother died in 1983.  My friend's husband calls her parents mom & dad his have passed so I don’t think it’s weird but I find Chelsy calling Steve & Teri mom & dad weird. Maybe they insist on being called that. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic