IGNORED

Maxwell 33: Managers of Their Vests

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

After reading the recent random life post my only thought is how did Anna manage to convince the local fire department to have one of their trucks and a few of their men go to church to talk to the children in her bible group. The caption said she applied. I just want to know how she managed to pull it off. I've heard of firemen going to schools for talks with children on fire safety and field trips to fire departments. I just wonder what she wrote to ensure the children in her group wouldn't have to go to the, according to Steve sinful, fire department. 

Godly guilt might have done the trick. 

• Upvote 6

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Godly guilt might have done the trick. 

Either that or their prayers were answered.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

On 10/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, Hane said:

@terranova , I’m often frustrated by Sarah’s overuse of the passive voice. It has its place, but the way she uses it makes her writing awkward and confusing. It reeks of being taught that using “me-first” language is always bad.

Because Jesus (and Stevehova) are first, then others, and you’re last. Amendment J.O.Y. 
lol

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? did we have the same English teacher !! 

and now I teach English . . . middle school so we just focus on using "strong verbs"!

Love that. 

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?‘s teacher should’ve remembered that extremes suck. Or that they ARE not good. ?

3 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

After reading the recent random life post my only thought is how did Anna manage to convince the local fire department to have one of their trucks and a few of their men go to church to talk to the children in her bible group. The caption said she applied. I just want to know how she managed to pull it off. I've heard of firemen going to schools for talks with children on fire safety and field trips to fire departments. I just wonder what she wrote to ensure the children in her group wouldn't have to go to the, according to Steve sinful, fire department. 

Wait! What the actual fox? Steve has called firehouses sinful?!?

Well, they are. Most have big-screen tv’s.  Men do most of the cooking and cleaning (because most firefighters are men).  Fire fighters stay nights away from home, unaccompanied by their wives. Or husbands. 

And they house some of the most courageous individuals anyone can have the privilege to know. Fire houses sinful? Did he really say that? I’m white-hot angry at the thought. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I assume she just filled out this form: https://www.leavenworthks.org/fire/page/public-appearancestation-visit-request-form

• Upvote 8

15 hours ago, divadivine said:

Because Jesus (and Stevehova) are first, then others, and you’re last. Amendment J.O.Y. 
lol

Another reason may be because Stevehovah used to be an engineer, and the passive voice is often overused in technical writing. (My pet peeve: In the passive, people often leave out who should be doing a particular action.)

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

As I struggled to chill out and fall asleep last night after Game 6 of the World Series (Go Nats!!!), I thought about how disapproving Stevehovah would be of the time I've spent watching baseball in the past few weeks.

Too bad. Suck it, Steve. I believe this life is the only one we get, with nothing afterward, so I try enjoy life as much as I can; and I have had an awesome time cheering on the Nationals alongside my best gay friends and their sweet baby. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

18 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

She runs a neighborhood after-school Bible study, not a church. My nephew called and got a truck to their subdivision's Fourth of July party. It's up to the rules of the local community. My church does trunk or treat tomorrow (no religious tracts, just candy) and we've had fire trucks there for the kids to see.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, Hane said:

Another reason may be because Stevehovah used to be an engineer, and the passive voice is often overused in technical writing. (My pet peeve: In the passive, people often leave out who should be doing a particular action.)

I was thinking the same thing.  I know when I taking a class on research and analysis as a biology major, we were told to always write our lab reports in the passive voice.  The emphasis was to be on the steps taken and not who took them.  You were always to write so that another scientist would have no trouble duplicating what you did.   For instance, we might write "3mL 2M sulfuric acid was added to an Erlenmeyer flask."  You would not want to write "I added 3mL  2M sulfuric acid to the Erlenmeyer flask." even though it states the same quantity and same strength of the same substance added to the same type of flask.  Scientific writing can be so weird!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Wait! What the actual fox? Steve has called firehouses sinful?!?

Well, they are. Most have big-screen tv’s.  Men do most of the cooking and cleaning (because most firefighters are men).  Fire fighters stay nights away from home, unaccompanied by their wives. Or husbands. 

And they house some of the most courageous individuals anyone can have the privilege to know. Fire houses sinful? Did he really say that? I’m white-hot angry at the thought. 

No, I was just speculating as to why Steve would do everything he can from stopping Anna from going to a fire department. Who knows, maybe Sarah, Teri, Anna and/or Mary go caught with a secret firefighter calendar. 

@IReallyAmHopewelland @HereticHick I didn't realize that. Those were the routes that Anna took in order to avoid a trip to the fire department. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

@PennySycamore, the passive voice was a sticky thing in my line of work. I wrote job aids, training manuals, and procedure documents for utilities companies that had unions. Specifying who was supposed to do what, by job title, is vital for a regulated public utility company—particularly for job functions covered by union contracts.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 4

There’s a post up celebrating Anna’s birthday. Given that it’s 7:15 am here, and Kansas is several hours behind GMT, I highly doubt Sarah is awake in the early hours. Maybe it’s an automatic post?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

There’s a post up celebrating Anna’s birthday. Given that it’s 7:15 am here, and Kansas is several hours behind GMT, I highly doubt Sarah is awake in the early hours. Maybe it’s an automatic post?

I believe they are almost always automatic. It always says posted at 2:00am when I check the blog, when it is midnight here (PST).

• Upvote 5

When did they stop putting Anna's age in her birthday post? I could have sworn it was there last year, but it's not in their archives - unless they changed it. She's 27, for the record. I don't think they stopped including Sarah's age until she'd turned 30. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

No, I was just speculating as to why Steve would do everything he can from stopping Anna from going to a fire department. Who knows, maybe Sarah, Teri, Anna and/or Mary go caught with a secret firefighter calendar. 

@IReallyAmHopewelland @HereticHick I didn't realize that. Those were the routes that Anna took in order to avoid a trip to the fire department. 

At this “season of my life”  I should be looking for a sexy senior calendar.  Nah, I’ll go with every version of a Jason Momoa calendar.

now I feel bad for the Maxwell ladies .  They won’t be able to drool over Jason or any other stud muffin .

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

When did they stop putting Anna's age in her birthday post? I could have sworn it was there last year, but it's not in their archives - unless they changed it. She's 27, for the record. I don't think they stopped including Sarah's age until she'd turned 30. 

oh my.  I really had the "kids" in this family as younger in my mind.  They are getting up there aren't they (compared to how they act/what they are allowed to enjoy).  I always wanted to believe it was just Sarah that was never getting married, but it seems that Stevie is going to fail to launch any of his female children. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2

@Granwych, there's a sexy Australian firefighters calendar that you need to check out.  All the firefighters are holding kittens, puppies and so on.  If you're a straight woman and have a pulse, you'll never be too old for that calendar!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Charliemae said:

oh my.  I really had the "kids" in this family as younger in my mind.  They are getting up there aren't they (compared to how they act/what they are allowed to enjoy).  I always wanted to believe it was just Sarah that was never getting married, but it seems that Stevie is going to fail to launch any of his female children. 

Yeah, I don't believe any of the girls will marry. I'll be incredibly shocked if any of them do. 

Just FYI, Jesse is 25 and Mary is 23. I'm guessing Jesse will be gone from the mothership (i.e. marry and move out) within the next two years. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Granwych, there's a sexy Australian firefighters calendar that you need to check out.  All the firefighters are holding kittens, puppies and so on.  If you're a straight woman and have a pulse, you'll never be too old for that calendar!

Yup, straight and rapid pulse at the idea of half dressed hunks and baby creatures .   (Got my glasses, too, can’t miss any details)

thanks, Penny!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

I’m married to a firefighter, and he most assuredly is...everything a firefighter should be. ;)

Steve thought that being an EMT was sinful, and they generally work under the same conditions(and often are also firefighters stationed at the firehouse).  So the sinful firehouse isn’t really a stretch. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

37 minutes ago, sableduck said:

I’m married to a firefighter, and he most assuredly is...everything a firefighter should be. ;)

Steve thought that being an EMT was sinful, and they generally work under the same conditions(and often are also firefighters stationed at the firehouse).  So the sinful firehouse isn’t really a stretch. 

Steve is just jealous that he’ll never be a life- saving hunk like a firefighter or EMT.   Plus he knows he couldn’t control his carnal nature if he were required to remove or adjust a female’s clothing ,

Steve is entirely focused way too much on sin, poor bastard.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

On 10/31/2019 at 1:35 PM, anjulibai said:

Yeah, I don't believe any of the girls will marry. I'll be incredibly shocked if any of them do. 

Just FYI, Jesse is 25 and Mary is 23. I'm guessing Jesse will be gone from the mothership (i.e. marry and move out) within the next two years. 

I wonder whether Jesse has any opportunity to meet a comely fundie maiden these days.  Thought he should go to the Bontrager Family Camp as a "volunteer" just to be around girls in an appropriately supervised setting.  He comes across as quite shy and uncomfortable around people-- just a gut feeling when I see pictures of him.   If ever a fella needed a matchmaker, it's Jesse.

As far as the girls go, I still hold hope for Anna.  She seems to genuinely enjoy being with kids.  It probably won't happen until Steve is out of the picture and a widower with a passel of kids comes looking for a helpmeet.  I think Mary and Sarah will be home forever.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Sans rancor - but with considerable sadness - I observe that Reversal Anna’s smile is less and less natural, more and more forced, as time goes by. 

Of course, YMMV. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic