IGNORED

Maxwell 33: Managers of Their Vests

Coconut Flan

How sure are we that the Maxwells are not extraterrestrials who crashlanded in the US and are doing a poor job of trying to fit in?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

How sure are we that the Maxwells are not extraterrestrials who crashlanded in the US and are doing a poor job of trying to fit in?

The Coneheads fit in better than the Maxwells!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 10

37 minutes ago, kpmom said:

The Coneheads fit in better than the Maxwells!

Well, the Coneheads are from France, while the Maxwells are from another galaxy.......

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • Love 3

Can we please stop insulting the Coneheads by comparing them to the Maxhells?

Oh wait, it’s because they’re not comparable. Nevermind, carry on. 

...when trying to be funny fails...I need sleep ?‍♀️?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

On 10/21/2019 at 1:46 PM, anjulibai said:

The Duggars are the only people that the Maxwells use their last name. Everyone else gets an initial. The Maxwells are fucking weird. 

They always do this. They're not so subtle about their name dropping. Pretty transparent, actually. Teri did it several times with the "reviews" of her last book. Something like five reviews, all with an inital, except for Michelle Duggar. 

If your name is Duggar or Maxwell, you will be identified on their blog. If it's anything else, you get an inital "for privacy". Wonder why the Duggars don't need privacy? Oh, wait, fundie social climing.....

• Upvote 8

It depends on the level of fractions.  Basics begin in 2nd grade and get to decimals by  usually 4th to 5th grade for an average student.

• Upvote 7

She may also have been reviewing material. Or wanted to talk about something she felt particularly comfortable with. I think Melanie uses A Beka quite a lot, I have no idea what their curriculum is like in terms of how often kids review things. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, freejugar said:

Does an 11 year old learn fractions? Isnt that 3rd grade stuff?

My 10 year old 5th grade student just finished a unit on fractions. I think she first started learning some basic fractions in 1st grade and it has gotten progressively more difficult each year. She just finished first quarter and so far they did a bit of review, worked on fractions and they are finishing up some long division. Next up is decimals. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Australian kids start fractions in kindergarten (first year of formal schooling - 5 years old) but it’s just the concept that a half is one of two equal pieces. Quarters are introduced in year 1 then they start to calculate fractions of collections. By year 5 they are beginning to calculate equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages. In Year 6 (final year before high school, so 11-12 years old) they find fractions, decimals and percentages of other amounts and calculate the total of a discounted product.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

I think that is the most information they've ever actually given on the Young Presenters. I guess they got tired of having people ask WTF is this, so decided it was finally time to explain it. 

• Upvote 5

Public speaking is a valuable skill. Perhaps I’m having a BEC moment tonight, but is it really all that valuable when you’re presenting in front of the same group of “let’s all be happy all the time” people every time? Yes, it’s better than not doing it at all, but that’s a pretty low bar. I’d be genuinely impressed if they were doing this as part of a co-op. But no, it all must stay in the (extended) family. ?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I think Erika Shupe used to do Young Presenters with her kids when they were homeschooling. I seem to remember a FB album with photos of some of her kids doing a speech in public (maybe church related? Not sure). But then the Shupes were less isolated than the Maxwells (that’s not hard though), they went to an actual church. 

I dislike public speaking, but even I would be fine doing a presentation in front of family members. Have the kids ever done presentations in front of “the elderly”, for example? 

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Public speaking is a valuable skill. Perhaps I’m having a BEC moment tonight, but is it really all that valuable when you’re presenting in front of the same group of “let’s all be happy all the time” people every time? Yes, it’s better than not doing it at all, but that’s a pretty low bar. I’d be genuinely impressed if they were doing this as part of a co-op. But no, it all must stay in the (extended) family. ?

That's what I thought. They aren't really gaining any experience. It's the same audience every time with the same rules, guidelines, etc. No one will question what they say because everyone has been told to say & think the same things. So, no realy explanations happen, just show & tell basically. 

• Upvote 9

Thanks to Spotify I have listed to the little Duggar girls sing the Star Spangled Banner and it is not great.  Also Spotify tells me the release date on the CD was August 2018 which makes the giveaway seem odd.

Thanks to this I have gone down the rabbit hole of the Evangelical Christian music I listened to when I was into that sort of thing and now my recommendations are going to be really weird. 

I may also have briefly considered getting my niece (who is 18 months old) a copy of a Moody book just to see the look on my brother's face 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, Snarfblatt said:

I may also have briefly considered getting my niece (who is 18 months old) a copy of a Moody book just to see the look on my brother's face 

Doooooooo iiiiiiit!

• Haha 8

Abby first began by reciting the entire chapter of James 1. It was beautiful.

Can someone translate that Sarah Maxwell speech into English?

I'mg guess "the entire chapter" means a chapter as there are many. Also what is "James 1"? A biography of James 1 of England? A chapter of the King James Bible but isn't to the Maxwells that is just the bible? And if so, what chapter?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

Can someone translate that Sarah Maxwell speech into English?

I'mg guess "the entire chapter" means a chapter as there are many. Also what is "James 1"? A biography of James 1 of England? A chapter of the King James Bible but isn't to the Maxwells that is just the bible? And if so, what chapter?

The Bible is a large book broken into smaller books, of which James is one. Each book is split into chapters made up of verses which are what most fundies memorize. James 1 would be the entire first chapter of the book of James, which has a total of five chapters. That particular chapter has 27 verses in it so that’s pretty impressive to memorize for a kid. 

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
Extra info
  • Upvote 9

On 10/26/2019 at 9:41 AM, Snarfblatt said:

Your niece, at 18 months, might be a bit too mature for a Moody book.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 18
  • I Agree 1

What chapter of the epistle  of James has that pesky verse about "faith without works is dead"?  Didn't Martin Luther want to too that book from the Canon because of that verse?

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

The Bible is a large book broken into smaller books, of which James is one. Each book is split into chapters made up of verses which are what most fundies memorize. James 1 would be the entire first chapter of the book of James, which has a total of five chapters. That particular chapter has 27 verses in it so that’s pretty impressive to memorize for a kid. 

Thanks. That is a book I am obviously unfamiliar with. I don’t remember it from Sunday school, the nuns or when I go to visit my parents and do to church with them (makes them happy and then I debate them for the good while afterwards). To be fair, I was not the most attentive student during my religious classes. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Eclipse said:

If you want to check it out, you can read it here: https://www.biblestudytools.com/james/1.html

• Thank You 2

A new Boring Random Life post is up.

Sarah still can't write:

For one of the days at Bible Club, Anna applied for and was granted the firemen to bring in their truck and talk about it with the kids. The kids were so thrilled!

It took me three goes to understand that Anna had applied to the firestation to get them to come and visit the kids.

Christopher bothered a poor dude in the park.

And at dinner with Eldery the poor girls have to sit alone in the corner with an Elderly, while Jesse sits with a terrified looking GYW and what I can only assume are their chaperones.

• Upvote 14

• Coconut Flan locked this topic