IGNORED

Maxwell 33: Managers of Their Vests

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I'm sure they wear bras. Good grief! lol Sorry, but that's a little silly.

Yo. I’m either a lot silly or serious as JimBob Duggar on a money-making scheme. 

Ladies with smaller breasts don’t need support and heavenly days they don’t need uplift or cleavage — according to Steve’s Overdeveloped Sense Of  Inappropriate Sexual Responses, anyway. 

For running, sure. And for Mart, who’s a little bustier than her mom & Sisters, maybe all the time. But t-shirt bras eliminate the appearance of nipples. There’s really no need for double shirting, is my original and quite sober (not silly) point. 

%-D

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Oh I think the Maxwell’s have to wear underclothes starting early. Before they graduated to bras, I bet they wore white undershirts. Just for extra modesty. I think the Maxwell’s layer from the start. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 6

34 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Yo. I’m either a lot silly or serious as JimBob Duggar on a money-making scheme. 

Ladies with smaller breasts don’t need support and heavenly days they don’t need uplift or cleavage — according to Steve’s Overdeveloped Sense Of  Inappropriate Sexual Responses, anyway. 

For running, sure. And for Mart, who’s a little bustier than her mom & Sisters, maybe all the time. But t-shirt bras eliminate the appearance of nipples. There’s really no need for double shirting, is my original and quite sober (not silly) point. 

%-D

But modesty would lead me to believe they wear something like a tight sports bra so they are less obvious. I just don't think anyone would say "modesty" is no bra. Probably with a cami over it.  Who knows!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh I think the Maxwell’s have to wear underclothes starting early. Before they graduated to bras, I bet they wore white undershirts. Just for extra modesty. I think the Maxwell’s layer from the start. 

I had some pre-pubescent girlfriends who had to wear those vest/undershirt things before they graduated to training bras.  I don't know that it was for modesty as much as it was what what young girls of their class did.  They were upper middle to upper class.

Edited by PennySycamore
minor riffle
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I had some pre-pubescent girlfriends who had to wear those vest/undershirt things before they graduated to training bras.  I don't know that it was for modesty as much as it was what what young girls of their class did.  They were upper middle to upper class.

My family was definitely not even close to upper middle class but my great grandma was always hounding my sister and I to wear our undershirts. My mom actually told us to lie to her! She said it was the only time we were allowed to lie because my grandma would worry we would catch pneumonia because we didn’t wear our undershirts in 60 degeee weather. Great grandma was born in 1913 so I always assumed it was just what people did in the olden days to avoid catching your death. Of course we now know an undershirt does nothing. 

• Upvote 7

On 9/30/2019 at 6:34 AM, LurkerOverThePond said:

What a blessed way to wake up to a new week! Just what I need on a Monday morning is the Maxwells using their kids to push their anti-choice propaganda down our throat. A cherry on top of a cake is almost forgotten Anna's acting masterpiece as a fetus! Lolly the Fucking Clown seems almost normal compared with this bizarreness (<-- is that even a word?).

All I got to say is fuck you, fuck you very much Mawells.

I just wonder how many more times they are going to post the video of Anna acting like an unborn fetus. The video is just disturbing and cringe-worthy to watch. Unless they are hoping to marry Anna off and they are going to continue sharing the video to make her appeal as a true fundie maiden. 

On 9/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, SPHASH said:

Griselda Teri endorses a book written by Joanna Gaines!  Hypocrite thy name is Teri since Joanna is on the Beast.

That caught my eye as well. I wonder if Griselda Teri has a secret stash of Fixer Upper DVD's she keeps hidden from Steve and the rest of the family. Just imagine a closet filled with Pepsi complete with a laptop and Fixer Upper DVD's. But most likely, she doesn't know who Joanna Gaines is and bought off Amazon.

• Upvote 7

We had to wear little white undershirts until at least age 6-7, in the mid/late 80s. My mom was convinced you’d freeze to death otherwise, and our 1864 New England farmhouse did get cold plus we were all skinny and bald-till-3 kids. My mom is in her 70s now and still *horrified* that people dress babies and toddlers without a base layer of a onesie or undershirt, as she learned when her first grandchild was born. I genuinely think houses are warmer now and you can be warm without quite so many layers. But are you even a grandmother if you don’t feel the need to put a hat, a sweater and a blanket on your grandkids, or at least criticize some aspect of how they’re being raised?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

Yep, you can be a grandmother without insisting on hats, sweaters, blankies and criticizing some aspect of how your kids are raising the kids. My daughters dress their kids however they want and I don't think I've criticized too much.  I do have one daughter where I do have to watch my tongue though.  She is really into the woo.  If she lived closer, we'd need to just agree to disagree on that shit and she does not need to preach to me about the latest diet fad.  No, I'm not going to go Keto or do Whole 30.  

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Yep, you can be a grandmother without insisting on hats, sweaters, blankies and criticizing some aspect of how your kids are raising the kids. My daughters dress their kids however they want and I don't think I've criticized too much.  I do have one daughter where I do have to watch my tongue though.  She is really into the woo.  If she lived closer, we'd need to just agree to disagree on that shit and she does not need to preach to me about the latest diet fad.  No, I'm not going to go Keto or do Whole 30.  

My mom just told me I automatically disagree with her and don’t take her advice about anything. You would think she would stop if that were true! But nope. She likes giving unsolicited advice. Thankfully my mother in law bites her tongue. I guess I’m just used to being the opposite of my family in so many ways that maybe it is automatic for me. I guess that’s just what happens when you’re the gray sheep. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My family was definitely not even close to upper middle class but my great grandma was always hounding my sister and I to wear our undershirts. My mom actually told us to lie to her! She said it was the only time we were allowed to lie because my grandma would worry we would catch pneumonia because we didn’t wear our undershirts in 60 degeee weather. Great grandma was born in 1913 so I always assumed it was just what people did in the olden days to avoid catching your death. Of course we now know an undershirt does nothing. 

Born in 1913, she probably heard horrible, first-hand stories about the flu pandemic of the late 1910’s.  (Can’t remember the exact year and having gotten 4 months behind on some things, I can’t indulge myself in every Google-worthy whim that my mind creates).

BigMamaJB was born in 1925 and heard sad and frightening stories from her MIL, whose children were born between 1810-1918. We Baby-Booner JBs did not know life without “putting on a sweater ‘cause Big Mama’s cold.”  

Mother love. I do love it. Maxwell: do NOT love. Just to get back on topic.  /-)

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I remember a friend saying a few years back that she was cold, so she put a sweater on the baby. She was still cold, so she put a hat on him. Still cold, so a  snowsuit. It was only then that she realized that she wasn’t wearing a sweater. Empathy is amazing like that.

You know what helps with being cold, by the by? Pants. Long pants with long underwear. Overalls and flannel shirts are always going to be warmer than cotton knit dresses and leggings. I still get cold thinking of the Maxwell grandkids caroling in the snow and below freezing temperatures.....

• Upvote 12

I’ve always imagined Steve is the king of the thermostat. And he probably keeps it at a chill 68 degrees in the middle of winter no matter how cold they all are. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

New post about making apple sauce. Sarah uses the word crew yet again to describe Nathan’s kids... she’s obsessed with that word!

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve always imagined Steve is the king of the thermostat. And he probably keeps it at a chill 68 degrees in the middle of winter no matter how cold they all are. 

I’m sure he does. He controls everything else in the house. 

• Upvote 14

Gosh, how fun to make applesauce AGAIN with your entire extended family! It is really hard to remember Sarah is a nearly 40-year-old WOMAN. I can understand having fun doing stuff together--even making applesauce, but don't you just wish she'd sometimes let on that they had a crappy day? That the baby screamed and a toddler threw a fit and a married couple snarked at each other and someone wouldn't get off the couch put down their Bible and HELP everyone! Almost 40 years old and the best she can do is blog on her parents' blog about making applesauce on her parents' stove, in her parents' house, with help from her parents', her parents' other children/in-laws, and her parents' grandchildren. I'm not sure even a very elderly widower would find her interesting now.

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Born in 1913, she probably heard horrible, first-hand stories about the flu pandemic of the late 1910’s.  (Can’t remember the exact year and having gotten 4 months behind on some things, I can’t indulge myself in every Google-worthy whim that my mind creates).

I knew it overlapped with WWI, but I had to check to find out that it covered 1918 and 1919. (I'm years behind in my life, because I follow every whim my mind creates. :pb_wink: )

And I used to wear little cotton undershirts when I was a prepubescent kid. They had little flowers on them and matched my panties. I think I only wore them in winter, though, and my mom never nagged me to wear them. She just bought some and let me decide what to do with them.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Edit? I thought I was still just posting for the first time?
  • Upvote 6

Re the undershirt thing: When my grandson was born 12 years ago, my daughter was a bit surprised when her MIL and I used to put short-sleeved cotton knit tee shirt onesies on him under his clothes whenever we babysat him, and when her MIL asked whether they needed any plain white “undershirt” onesies. We chatted about it and discovered it was just a generational change in the way people dressed babies.

We used to wear white cotton undershirts back in the ‘50s and ‘60s until we were old enough for bras. The generation before us wore wool knit “union suits” in the winter. Things have evolved as central heating improved.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I’m still getting the thing where I click onto the blog and the most recent post doesn’t show up immediately and I need to refresh the page. Once I’ve hit refresh once, it seems to be fine. I know at least one of you has had that problem too, so I wonder if it’s something weird at their end or just a random fuckup.

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Hane said:

Re the undershirt thing: When my grandson was born 12 years ago, my daughter was a bit surprised when her MIL and I used to put short-sleeved cotton knit tee shirt onesies on him under his clothes whenever we babysat him, and when her MIL asked whether they needed any plain white “undershirt” onesies. We chatted about it and discovered it was just a generational change in the way people dressed babies.

Hmm. I put short sleeved onesies on my "winter baby" 10 years ago, underneath her little sleep and play outfits. It kept her skinny little body warmer, and the onesie kept her diaper closer to her body, limiting diaper blow outs, at least a little bit. 

Then again, my older sister has been accusing me of "acting like an old lady" since we were in our 20s, so maybe it is a generational thing. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Hane said:

We used to wear white cotton undershirts back in the ‘50s and ‘60s until we were old enough for bras. The generation before us wore wool knit “union suits” in the winter. Things have evolved as central heating improved.

I remember wearing undershirts in the 1980’s.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I’m still getting the thing where I click onto the blog and the most recent post doesn’t show up immediately and I need to refresh the page. Once I’ve hit refresh once, it seems to be fine. I know at least one of you has had that problem too, so I wonder if it’s something weird at their end or just a random fuckup.

I cleared out my ? and that took care of the problem.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

Wait...9 bushels @ roughly 40 lbs per bushel = 360 pounds of apples, and in the picture there are > than 100 jars filled. Sarah states the family does this EVERY autumn. EVERY year...man these folks eat a metric ton of applesauce. 

I make homemade applesauce too, but a little bit goes a long way. I wonder if they sub out fresh fruit and veggies for applesauce? If so, I hope they don’t put a bunch of sugar in their sauce.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I just went to the Maxwell blog to see the applesauce post. It's not coming up. I don't think I missed much as it was probably dull. Is anyone else noticing that or did Sarah take it down?

• Upvote 1

Their blog is coming up odd for me today.  On one browser it says the blog can't be found and yet it works fine on another browser.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Wait...9 bushels @ roughly 40 lbs per bushel = 360 pounds of apples, and in the picture there are > than 100 jars filled. Sarah states the family does this EVERY autumn. EVERY year...man these folks eat a metric ton of applesauce. 

I make homemade applesauce too, but a little bit goes a long way. I wonder if they sub out fresh fruit and veggies for applesauce? If so, I hope they don’t put a bunch of sugar in their sauce.

I wonder if that much applesauce is shared with "the whole Maxwell clan crew".  Maybe given as gifts as well?

[/on topic reply]

I eat 4-6 apples per week, fresh sliced, but I don't love them, and I especially don't like stuff with cooked apples.  Yes, this includes apple pie.  (I don't much like popcorn either.  Can you imagine?  Fortunately I do like baseball, otherwise I might be kicked out of the USA entirely... ?)

When I was a kid I had trouble swallowing uncoated pills like aspirin, so my mom would mash the pills in applesauce.  That certainly didn't help me to grow up liking it...

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic