IGNORED

Maxwell 33: Managers of Their Vests

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Sans rancor - but with considerable sadness - I observe that Reversal Anna’s smile is less and less natural, more and more forced, as time goes by. 

Of course, YMMV. 

(Sorry for the run-on sentence. I tried to make it less awkward and finally gave up)

It must be so strange being told their entire lives that their life’s purpose is to obey the parents ever whin - which includes the teaching that adult women’s life’s purpose is to gestate - and yet once they entered adulthood, those same people (who were so over the top obedient), are not allowed to fulfill their “God ordained” purpose. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

You'd think eventually they'd realize it's a scam and find purpose separate from their parents.

One can only hope. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

On 10/31/2019 at 6:42 AM, PennySycamore said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I know when I taking a class on research and analysis as a biology major, we were told to always write our lab reports in the passive voice.  The emphasis was to be on the steps taken and not who took them.  You were always to write so that another scientist would have no trouble duplicating what you did.   For instance, we might write "3mL 2M sulfuric acid was added to an Erlenmeyer flask."  You would not want to write "I added 3mL  2M sulfuric acid to the Erlenmeyer flask." even though it states the same quantity and same strength of the same substance added to the same type of flask.  Scientific writing can be so weird!

Most of my work writing is scientific writing and therefore passive voice. I did a course a couple of years ago where they wanted us to write in the active voice and it felt so uncomfortable! They also wanted us to express definite opinions, which for me was panic inducing - it's not my research, I can give an overview of where the research is at but not express an opinion on it! You could really pick the three of us in the class who had the same academic background  - we had the same look of stress when the assignment was given. (I ended up writing a lit review with extremely cautiously worded passively voiced statements that could be construed as opinion in my summaries of the evidence. Passed the assignment!)

On 11/1/2019 at 5:24 AM, PennySycamore said:

@Granwych, there's a sexy Australian firefighters calendar that you need to check out.  All the firefighters are holding kittens, puppies and so on.  If you're a straight woman and have a pulse, you'll never be too old for that calendar!

My local shopping centre has quite buff men dressed as firefighters selling the calendars. I haven't bought one... yet.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 3

It makes me really uncomfortable when people post pictures of children online without saying whether they have both the child’s and the parents consent. Obviously they have permission from their siblings but I don’t know about the other kids. Usually schools, camps, etc, will have parents sign a permission form full of legalese that gives the organization the right to publish photos in their media and advertising materials, FB, etc, but I somehow doubt that happens with the Maxwells. They just aren’t savvy enough to know to do it.

On a personal note I don’t like my picture taken and posted without my consent and so I always am very careful to ask, “can I take your picture” and “can I post this particular photo on social media” of anyone, even my best friends whom I know will say yes. But they might be having a day in which they say no. If a kid is under 18 I ask their parents and if they’re old enough to talk I ask them, “can I share this photo with my friends”. (My FB is private and friends only.) If they say no, I just don’t. Nothing stops me from texting a particularly adorable photo to people, but the internet is different, the internet is forever, and some of these kids might grow up and not want it known they were associated with the Maxwells at one point, 

But I guess I can’t expect that Sarah understands the importance of kids being able to say no to adults, because she has never been allowed to say no herself. Sad.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

New post... if Abby and Bethany had THAT many tortillas to make... where are the people who would be eating them? Can't those people suck it up and either help or buy tortillas on the way to the hive?

• Upvote 4

If it were happening in a vacuum I'd have no problem with it.  Young kids should be learning life skills, and those girls are at an age to take a lot of pride in helping with family gatherings.  But I know they live in Maxhell and these two little girls probably have so many responsibilities already.  This wouldn't be a fun opportunity for them to learn and mature. instead, it's another chore to add to the chore pack.  ?

Edited by Charliemae
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

I don't understand why they make tortillas by hand. Tortillas are cheap to buy. My boyfriend in college was Mexican-American, and even his very traditional mother and grandmother bought tortillas. 

@SPHASH I also see them as future spinsters, sadly. Their brothers will need low-paid workers for their future businesses and their future sisters-in-law will need help with all the 4th generation Maxwells. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I don't understand why they make tortillas by hand. Tortillas are cheap to buy. My boyfriend in college was Mexican-American, and even his very traditional mother and grandmother bought tortillas. 

I was thinking about that too, and it's probably because they have nothing else to do to fill their 'schedule'. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

@SPHASH, one day, I will figure out how to remove name tags from quotes using my mobile phone. Today is not that day. ? 

@anjulibai, I tried Trader Joe's corn-and-wheat-blend tortillas recently - loved the unusual texture and the almost floral fragrance of them!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Cat Damon said:

I was thinking about that too, and it's probably because they have nothing else to do to fill their 'schedule'. 

And yet, there are so many worthwhile homemaking things they could do to fill their time. They just don't do them. It's so bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

@anjulibai, I tried Trader Joe's corn-and-wheat-blend tortillas recently - loved the unusual texture and the almost floral fragrance of them!

I'll have to check those out. My ex-BF's family just bought ones from Safeway and heated them up on their stove. They were pretty good - mainly it was what they were filled with that I cared about, LOL. :)

• Upvote 6

Somehow it escaped me that the Maxwells eat tortillas EVERY FRICKING SUNDAY. And probably for meatless burritos too - which isn’t terrible in itself, but you just know there’ll be no spices or flavour whatsoever going on in that bean slop.

Poor Chelsy must be going spare considering what she and her family serve up. I hope she and John take as many opportunities as possible to avoid going there. 

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

@SPHASH I also see them as future spinsters, sadly. Their brothers will need low-paid workers for their future businesses and their future sisters-in-law will need help with all the 4th generation Maxwells. 

1. Well, Gothard made people grind wheat and bake bread. Maybe that's it? Or, of course, in case all liberals are raptured and there's no more store-bought ones to be had, the girls can make them?

2. Spinster-in-training! New name category or designation (or whatever they are) here on Free Jinger! LOL. Sadly, I am afraid you are right. Unless after Steve kicks the bucket the family throws off the shackles and..... who am I kidding?

• Upvote 8

Meh. Not impressed. They've been in training to take over tortilla making for a few years, at least. They're just fulfilling their destiny as Maxwell females. 

• Upvote 8

It's been mentioned somewhere that some of the Maxwell DILs *gasp* BUY their tortillas. And, when NR Anna was making a batch of burritos to freeze when prepping for one of her kids' births (may have been Danny or Elizabeth) she *gasp* ADDED MEAT TO THE MIXTURE. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I always keep store bought ones handy—they seem to last forever and never get moldy, which is vaguely Frankenfood-ish—but there’s nothing like a freshly made tortilla. They’re not that difficult and once you get into the groove, it goes pretty quickly. I don’t think that’s the Maxwells’ reasoning however. First, ya gotta train the little homemakers to be but second, It’s definitely a big thing among the fundie homeschooling set to grind your own wheat and bake your own bread. (I do both and I’m definitely not a homeschooling fundie, just a hobby bread baker.) There’s a company called https://www.breadbeckers.com that’s pretty big into this, Christian homeschoolers but more mainstream fundie. I’ve bought from them in the past and while there’s a little bit of woo to work around and a lot of their instructional videos (some of which start with a prayer) are built around selling their products, they’re also very thorough and informative.

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Somehow it escaped me that the Maxwells eat tortillas EVERY FRICKING SUNDAY. And probably for meatless burritos too - which isn’t terrible in itself, but you just know there’ll be no spices or flavour whatsoever going on in that bean slop.

I don’t know what they do these days with Steve’s new diet, but there was a post a long time ago that I can’t find now, that talked about their garden—yes, they had a garden at one point that it seems other people kept up since they were away so often—where they showed off their hot pepper harvest and talked about how they like spicy food. Hard to believe since everything else about them is so bland…

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

Tortillas are really easy to make. That being said - does anyone see a Tortilla press? Or are they just using a rolling pin? 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Tortillas are really easy to make. That being said - does anyone see a Tortilla press? Or are they just using a rolling pin? 

I think I’ve seen them use a press but I could be wrong. I and a lot of people who make tortillas use a press first to flatten the dough but roll them out by hand after to get them thinner and to size.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I decided to investigate the Recipes tag on their blog. 
They used to grind wheat and thereby make flour, but I think they buy it (flour) now. They have used a tortilla press in the past, but again not currently.

Wheat grinding: https://blog.titus2.com/2011/02/09/tortillas-101/

Tortilla press: https://blog.titus2.com/2012/04/02/cooking-with-the-maxwells-corn-tortillas-101/

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

@mango_fandango, I can understand not grinding your own wheat, but if you're going to make your own tortillas and a press would help, why not use it?  Why make it harder on yourself?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I'm just baffled by the fact that Sarah can't make tortillas because she has to take family pictures.  Over the course of a whole day? For people who micromanage, they are actually really bad at time management then.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

Such useless busywork. If the entire Maxhell clan was gluten-free, it would make sense for them to make all of those at home. I can’t believe this family makes their girls waste their time slaving over things like this when they are already so limited in life.

• Upvote 14

• Coconut Flan locked this topic