IGNORED

Maxwell 33: Managers of Their Vests

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@CyborgKin, is that video serious or satire?

Has anyone else seen that GEICO Halloween ad where two young women who love cats hire a housekeeper named Griselda?  Griselda's over at the stove cooking a potion which she feeds to one of the women who begins to turn into a cat.

When the unaffected roommate dandles a cat toy in front of her morphing friend!  Cracks me up every time!! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

In the last blogpost Sarah says:

The Moody Family Series continues to be a trusted resource by families all over.

Bolding is mine.
Why does she call the Moody books a resource?

The Encyclopedia Britannica is a resource. Wikipedia is a resource. 
The Moody books are just children books.
Or is there another meaning to the word resource that I don't know about? It is possible, because English is not my first language.

• Upvote 13

Resource is good here - children's books are a type of resource if you are talking about teaching reading or the weird sort of family "values" the Maxwells have. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, DutchMommy said:

In the last blogpost Sarah says:

Bolding is mine.
Why does she call the Moody books a resource?

The Encyclopedia Britannica is a resource. Wikipedia is a resource. 
The Moody books are just children books.
Or is there another meaning to the word resource that I don't know about? It is possible, because English is not my first language.

The correct wording, IMHO, is “resource for families.”

If she was devoted to using the word “by,” she would write l, “a resource used by families.”  

I agree that “resource” works, because the books provide life lessons, and PSarah wouldn’t think to write that the series was entertaining, or enjoyable, or just plain fun reading. Partly because she’s not allowed to use those adjectives. Partly because the books are not any of those things, by accounts. I myself have not read ‘em. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

On 10/15/2019 at 11:35 PM, defraudingjezebel said:

It looks like some of the verses have annotations/notes scribbled around them. Maybe she covered them up for identity/anonymity reasons? Or maybe they're scandalous? I'm not quite sure either. 

In the pictures taken with the list and the man nothing is censored. He could have scribbled over some since then (based on the calendar in the background, the pics were taken in the springtime) But I think it's more likely someone else HI STEVE did it

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

is that video serious or satire?

Which way is funnier?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nomoxian said:

In the pictures taken with the list and the man nothing is censored. He could have scribbled over some since then (based on the calendar in the background, the pics were taken in the springtime) But I think it's more likely someone else HI STEVE did it

Or possibly the man blocked out some on the page with the name numbers in the 200s.  The other photos appear to show versesninbthe 400s.  Or maybe it’s vice-versa.

I read too much about the Maxwell’s, I feel inclined to read up on THE RODRIGUES Family.  They’re bizarre, but they’re entertaining. 

• Upvote 3

My review of the new Maxwell post on children's books.

Sarah: Poorly written advertisement on why people should buy more of the Moody books.

Child's Poem: Well written for her age. Sarah and the rest of the Maxwells should take some writing lessons from her in the future. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 10/15/2019 at 5:08 PM, usmcmom said:

Am I seeing this correctly? Did Sarah black out some of this man’s scripture list? I don’t understand.  Looking at the rest of the list, it seems like there is nothing on it except Bible references. What could be so offensive that we are not meant to see?imageproxy.php?img=&key=eb941d1cec36b5e7

BF56DB86-5CCE-4308-81D1-0414F8E37AB3.png

It looks to me (from all the pictures of this man and the list - of which it seemed like there were more pictures than the situation warranted, but these ARE the Maxwells) like there are at least four pages to this list. With the wrinkles, I can't really tell if he blacked something out or if it's a Maxwell censor. The only thing that I could think of that would bring down Maxwell censorship would be if the verses are from books that aren't part of the KJV Bible - though if he's using a version of the Bible that contains the Apocrypha, he's worlds away from the Maxwells' theology and I can't imagine him being even a casual family friend.

On a related note, with as wrinkly as this paper is, does he carry it with him everywhere? How has it not gone through the wash and been ruined?

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 10/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, Palimpsest said:

With pleasure.  Part 1.   http://whencowsandkidscollide.blogspot.com/2018/07/making-great-conversationalists-preface.html

There are multiple chapter by chapter followups.  I'm still reading.

Cows and Kids has reviewed it in far greater detail than I would have, but is picking up on exactly the same things.  The Maxwells are so weird.   She's also rather humorless about it, but then I either laugh, rage, or try not to cry at the Maxwells.  I have to laugh and snark sometimes as a coping mechanism.

Isn't Cows and Kids the person who thinks FJ snark is beneath her?  I know I have read there before.  She is very serious minded.

I find her dull and annoying; I would much rather read your take, my friend.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

45 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I find her dull and annoying; I would much rather read your take, my friend.

I'll see what I can do. :D

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

On 10/17/2019 at 11:18 AM, Black Aliss said:

A friend was telling me yesterday how she had dropped out of her therapy group because it was becoming evident that for some of the group members, depression had become so much a part of their personality that they wouldn't even consider any options  or approaches they could take toward recovery, such as trying different medications. My friend said she wasn't depressed going into the group, she had other stuff she wanted to work on, but with every session she was becoming more and more depressed, or at least just ground down.

I think that's what life with Teri must be like.

ETA: OMG I just read the post. Please don't tell me Abbie is required to participate in this activity, which is appropriate only for the younger grandkids! Are there no age-appropriate activities that Teri could do with just Abbie? If not, why not cut her loose during Grandma's Story Quarter-Hour, to take an art or music or writing class somewhere away from Maxhell?

That's a really harmful view of depression.  Way to victim blame people with mental illness because you perceive them as not wanting to get better.  Teri's untreated depression is one of the tragedies of the Maxwell family. It's not her fault that she has depression. Not feeling worthy of help, or feeling apathetic about change are symptoms of the mental illness.  Not signs of weakness or fault in the person with the mental illness. It's especially messed up that you're talking about people who are actively attending a support group, a monumental task for someone suffering from depression.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 3

I was under the impression that the King James version was supposed to be The Most Exact translation, so it surprised me at first that there would be deleted bits. But the King James was put together by a King, so it might make sense that certain parts would be censored.

This site talks about the specific censored parts, and they seem to be the more Catholic-ey ones talking about the Trinity and phrases like "forgive your trespasses"

• Upvote 4

"It is an exciting story, and there have been many pieces to the puzzle which take prayer and lots of brainstorming"

What is  this sentence? Did a foreign language  student write this?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2019 at 2:18 PM, Black Aliss said:

ETA: OMG I just read the post. Please don't tell me Abbie is required to participate in this activity, which is appropriate only for the younger grandkids! Are there no age-appropriate activities that Teri could do with just Abbie? If not, why not cut her loose during Grandma's Story Quarter-Hour, to take an art or music or writing class somewhere away from Maxhell?

Oh, no - Teri asked her if she wanted to keep participating and she WANTS to, and so does Bethany. My take (as the oldest of a big family nowhere near as fundie as the Maxes) is that Abby doesn't have a clue that she can want anything different. She's being brought down emotionally/developmentally because she's constantly incorporated into activities geared toward the lowest or even median age present. It's so much worse for her than for me because at least I got to go to church youth group (where my awkward age-inappropriateness showed up but was handled gracefully) and she only gets to go to retirement-home church.

They could do so much better for her. They won't. My only hope for her is that she has closer-in-age cousins on Mel's side that she is spending time with when the blog isn't watching.

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, Charliemae said:

That's a really harmful view of depression.  Way to victim blame people with mental illness because you perceive them as not wanting to get better.  Teri's untreated depression is one of the tragedies of the Maxwell family. It's not her fault that she has depression. Not feeling worthy of help, or feeling apathetic about change are symptoms of the mental illness.  Not signs of weakness or fault in the person with the mental illness. It's especially messed up that you're talking about people who are actively attending a support group, a monumental task for someone suffering from depression.

I think you missed the point. I've suffered from depression off and on through my life, as have some of my children, and I didn't see her comment as blaming the victim at all. Rather, that their depression was contagious, as I know from experience it can be, and also that they were rejecting, not just from the group, but from their physicians, every possible avenue of treatment. Regardless of whether the therapy group (not a support group) was helping them, it was clearly destructive to my friend. It's not blaming the depressed person to acknowledge that their depression can be destructive to those around them.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 25
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

On 10/19/2019 at 4:11 AM, nomoxian said:

I think the other pictures (the second and third ones) I think they show different pages of the list, which is at least three pages. The page with the text blacked out doesn't appear to the same one that's uppermost in the other images. 

I still think it's more likely than not that Steve demanded the redactions though. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

I think the other pictures (the second and third ones) I think they show different pages of the list, which is at least three pages. The page with the text blacked out doesn't appear to the same one that's uppermost in the other images. 

I still think it's more likely than not that Steve demanded the redactions though. 

Since there are multiple pages and the blacking out looks consistent, I tend to go with it being something the Old Saint of Gideon did. Steve could have blacked out personal stuff but the Photoshopping seems too well done for Steve. They usually blur stuff out with the simple blur tool.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
riffle
  • Upvote 6

Here’s a very unMaxwellian post for you:

Use Your Pizza Cutter To Make Bacon Bits!

Yesterday, the Lord placed it on my heart to make beef vegetable soup. While the soup simmered, Jesus bade me to make a Godly Topping of bacon and cheese. When the bacon was cooked and cooled, I laid it out on a cutting board. Then the Hand Of God have me the Holy Pizza Cutter and I rolled it over the bacon several times. At the end of my Blessed Endeavor, I had bacon bits. 

Psalm 34:8  Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. 

CF050CF7-78B3-4D21-B7DE-96A0F0EE890B.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 31
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, catlady said:

Here’s a very unMaxwellian post for you:

Use Your Pizza Cutter To Make Bacon Bits!

Yesterday, the Lord placed it on my heart to make beef vegetable soup. While the soup simmered, Jesus bade me to make a Godly Topping of bacon and cheese. When the bacon was cooked and cooled, I laid it out on a cutting board. Then the Hand Of God have me the Holy Pizza Cutter and I rolled it over the bacon several times. At the end of my Blessed Endeavor, I had bacon bits. 

Psalm 34:8  Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. 

CF050CF7-78B3-4D21-B7DE-96A0F0EE890B.jpeg

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LETTUCE?????

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 15

On 10/19/2019 at 12:20 AM, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Child's Poem: Well written for her age. Sarah and the rest of the Maxwells should take some writing lessons from her in the future. 

Curmudgeonly former English teacher must disagree. Does no one teach kids about rhythm and scansion anymore?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hane said:

Curmudgeonly former English teacher must disagree. Does no one teach kids about rhythm and scansion anymore?

Perhaps, but I think she was limited a bit since she was writing each verse specific to a character, which by default limits the writing even more as the Maxwell mind and the writings that come forth can only be so creative.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Hane said:

I don't think so. I was just pointing out the child wrote a better poem about the Moody's than Sarah ever did about her own series.

• Upvote 10

@Black Aliss, I completely understand what you mean. In February, a close friend lost her husband of 22 years. She’s still in grief, and sought out a bereavement support group. It helped her at first, but a couple of the participants started talking about wanting to end their own lives, and she couldn’t cope with that. I might have been able to, but it was smart of her to recognize her own emotional fragility.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic