• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Maxwell 33: Managers of Their Vests

Caroline
2 minutes ago, grammyj said:

Well, it's Steve's worldview and as I recall, he is by profession and training, an engineer. I have quite a few engineers in my family and I gotta say, these folks are Smart! They can make an algebraic formula to solve a problem or put together a 17 piece Ikea anything--with instructions in a language they don't speak-- like nobody's business.

But, and I know I'm generalizing here, and my observations are based on my own experiences, if these same folks have one thing in common, it's the inability to see the world in anything other than black and white.  I dont know if it's training, or if the profession maybe attracts such type of thinkers. Again, just based on my own experiences. Steve seems to be a black/white thinker too. His total control  of their world prevents anyone pointing out the grey areas which are so important.  Life is seldom just an equation. It's mostly grey.

Anyhow, this family does not cease to fascinate and enrage me. I think, from reading the blogs and Corners, Teri/Steve is getting more and more rigid and self-aggrandizing. I'd like to live long enough to see how the grandchildren turn out.  I think it's pretty much over for the Maxwell daughters. I hope I'm wrong. So sad. Christmas Shoeboxes the focus of their years.  Sighing, shaking head....Ok, I'm ranting now. Am done.

I live in an area where there are lots of engineers, and my impression of them is the same:  smart, but black and white.  I don't know any religious ones though.   The ones I do know have very narrow interests, so that's why they don't attract me.  The typical personality I associate with engineers is not my cup of tea, but I'm sure my view of the world is not something they appreciate either.

fundiefan

Add me to the list of those confused by a trip to the park being something "special". Most kids spend countless hours at the park playing. That's what they're there for. I drive by two neighborhood parks every day driving to & from work. They both always have kids/families/dogs in them. Playing on the swings, monkey bars, whatever; in the sand, running around, climbing trees - all the things kids (and adults) do in a place specifically designed for playing and getting outside. 

I grew up spending more time in the neighborhood park than in my own yard. 

Kids & parks - not new, not exciting, not special. 

NancyDrewFan1989

@GrammyJ My dad is an engineer and he is very smart. He mentioned to me a couple of times that there are a few people who he worked with who sound fundie. Also, Steve Maxwell isn't the only fundie engineer father who has popped up. Donald Staddon and Brian Waller are engineers as well. I never understood how they could so ignorant about the outside world despite having a good education. I guess engineering is a field that attracts fundies for some reason. 

JermajestyDuggar
57 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

@GrammyJ My dad is an engineer and he is very smart. He mentioned to me a couple of times that there are a few people who he worked with who sound fundie. Also, Steve Maxwell isn't the only fundie engineer father who has popped up. Donald Staddon and Brian Waller are engineers as well. I never understood how they could so ignorant about the outside world despite having a good education. I guess engineering is a field that attracts fundies for some reason. 

That kind of science doesn’t really challenge their biblical views. If they were a high school biology teacher, then I would be shocked. 

SassyPants
7 hours ago, Caroline said:

I live in an area where there are lots of engineers, and my impression of them is the same:  smart, but black and white.  I don't know any religious ones though.   The ones I do know have very narrow interests, so that's why they don't attract me.  The typical personality I associate with engineers is not my cup of tea, but I'm sure my view of the world is not something they appreciate either.

My minister is a life long, retired engineer. He’s on his second career.

MamaJunebug
On 10/11/2019 at 5:43 AM, Jody said:

Nothing with an ingredients label? I thought labels were mandatory even for the super vegan foodstuffs (like €20) for some nuts/berries Miles that are completely organic. My friends are raw-foodists, and they always bitch about the food we serve them, even though it comes from a local farmer’s market where the farmer read it a bedtime story every night. So last year, i filled a big bowl with biological rabbit food. They were the only ones who couldn’t appreciate the joke🤣🤣🤣🤣😳

Nothing with an ingredients label. 

I haven’t been to his house — oh wait: he does use a variety of hot sauces, so hes flirting with an untruth there. But he claims to shop exclusively in the produce aisle. His family are omnivorous.  For Valentine’s day, each kid got a heart-shaped  hamburger. He received broccoli florets arranges in the outline of a heart andcwas very happy.  

I asked him about a friend who’s vegan and very overweight. He sniffed about vegan energy bars and vegan candy bars and frozen vegan meat-replacement patties and the  suchlike.

i think he’s straight about the no-labels, excepting the Tabasco, et.al.!

grammyj

When I was talking about engineers and black and white thinking, what I meant is that anyone who thinks in absolutes, ie black or white, decides what their stance on a particular issue is and then goes all in with that belief.

It can apply to diet, political views, religion, anything. Steve's rigid, all in-thinking  just happens to apply to religion. He's all in, his views are the only "correct" ones and he'll brook no discussion about this. Unfortunately, Teri has gone along and probably has never challenged him on any of his views. Steve's mindset and Teri's enabling has created this sad mess. And the kidadults and grandchildren are the collateral damage.

Hope this make sense. I'm not talking about engineering types and religion per se. I'm talking about how only black and white thought can have disastrous effects if it's not challenged.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

MamaJunebug

Just t/w my vegan friend. He uses ground spices, not hot sauces. 

Hes not an engineer, by the way. LOL!

princessmahina
On 10/12/2019 at 9:34 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Nothing with an ingredients label. 

I haven’t been to his house — oh wait: he does use a variety of hot sauces, so hes flirting with an untruth there. But he claims to shop exclusively in the produce aisle. His family are omnivorous.  For Valentine’s day, each kid got a heart-shaped  hamburger. He received broccoli florets arranges in the outline of a heart andcwas very happy.  

I asked him about a friend who’s vegan and very overweight. He sniffed about vegan energy bars and vegan candy bars and frozen vegan meat-replacement patties and the  suchlike.

i think he’s straight about the no-labels, excepting the Tabasco, et.al.!

My husband and I are ~90% vegan. And we definitely are the “fat” vegans. Oreos are vegan, yo, and we take advantage of that pretty often 😂