Continued from here:

Still more new vest titles on the way.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 5

In the previous thread, @usmcmom wrote:

I guess I’ll have to ask my headship to rewrite my daily schedule

But, you can't ask! Remember the no-pizza-reminder story?

You just have to wait until your headship notices that Steve has become unruly in his posting schedule, and either alters your schedule or gives Steve a stern talking-to.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

I read through the link/thread that @kpmom posted and thought it was interesting that more than one poster felt Teri was the one with the ideas, even though she played the role of the submissive wife. It seems frequently in fundie families the husband/male in the headship on paper but the wife/female is the one behind the crazy ideas. In Steve and Teri's case I think they feed off each other, bringing out the absolute worse in both of them. 

Edited by nvmbr02
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7

From the previous thread.... I dunno, says it all, really... bold mine...

”We attended a family conference led by a well-known husband/wife/family team, who arrived in a fancy tour bus.  The wife was lovely in person, but the husband was sneering, ignorant, and condescending.  I kept wishing she had left him on the tour bus!  It completely colored my enjoyment of their books, as I realized that she must have heavily edited out his tone in their jointly-authored works.

Then, they split up the men to go with the husband, the women to listen to the wife, and the school-aged children to go with their teenagers.  I found it strange to be so split up as a family at a family conference, but I was touched and deeply grateful when my DH came in (completely unprompted) to take the baby out for me so that I could enjoy the rest of the wife's sessions in peace.  He proceeded to walk the halls with the baby for the next two hours.  It turned out that he found the husband so condescending and personally irritating that he was afraid he would say something he regretted, so he thought the baby would be a convenient excuse to sit out for the rest of them.

ETA:  Sorry, I should add that my baby was doing just fine looking at picture books and playing with the trains I had brought, and was NOT crying.  I would have promptly brought him out if he had been disturbing the session.”

Edited by Threff
Moar bold!
  • Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

At one point I had some of their talks on CD and Steve comes across that way even when it's just his voice.  Smarmy bastard.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

None of this surprises me. When you consider how busy their conference schedule was at one point, and how it just dried up completely, and how basically none of the churches they presented at ever invited them back - they must have alienated most of the attendees and some of the organisers as well. 

The sad thing is they will probably never realise this.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 6

Yep. Steve comes across as a smug creep  even in Poor Sarah’s Moody books, even though she thinks she’s portraying him as a hero. And Teri’s depression also shines through—Mom Moody is always holed up in her room “reading the Bible” or doing her best to duck out of family games.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 13
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1

New post up.  Summer is over and autumn is on Monday.  Poor Sarah no one says autumn anymore its fall.  Griselda Teri taught the ABCD kids to swim again and the kids showed off for the family.  How come Amish Anna and Prissy Chris's kids don't get to learn to swim, Josh and Ruthie are the same age as Tina and Drew.

• Upvote 9
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

New post up.  Summer is over and autumn is on Monday.  Poor Sarah no one says autumn anymore its fall.  Griselda Teri taught the ABCD kids to swim again and the kids showed off for the family.  How come Amish Anna and Prissy Chris's kids don't get to learn to swim, Josh and Ruthie are the same age as Tina and Drew.

Yep, the ABC kids continue to have a little more freedom and childhood "fun". I think literally all Anna and Chris's kids do is memorize bible versus. This is even run by grandma and they can't do it, just like when they go to the fair it seems like the can't do the balloons and face paint, but stand in the corner and preach to the other children. Yikes. 

Also, they called it special autumn post. Could there be something actually big, like a courtship?

Edited by Babysitter
  • Upvote 11

I liked the pictures of Teri teaching the ABCD kids how to swim. I also wondered why Josh Ruthie and Lydia weren’t included. Maybe they don’t have modest enough swimwear. 

• Upvote 5

I hope that Anna and Chris's children have learned to swim even if they haven't learned from Teri.  It's an important skill to learn.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 13

1 minute ago, Babysitter said:

Yep, the ABC kids continue to have a little more freedom and childhood "fun". I think literally all Anna and Chris's kids do is memorize bible versus. This is even run by grandma and they can't do it, just like when they go to the fair it seems like the can't do the balloons and face paint, but stand in the corner and preach to the other children. Yikes. 

Also, they called it special autumn post. Could there be something actually big, like a courtship?

Chris and NRAnna are going to be the family most like the original Maxwell family. NRAnna May love being a SAHM to many but their family makes me the saddest out of all the next gen Max families.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5

7 hours ago, Threff said:

It turned out that he found the husband so condescending and personally irritating that he was afraid he would say something he regretted

Oh Steve, this is why I bet no one has approached you to court your daughters. Any other excuse is just plain BS.  

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 4

Well, at least we know the Maxwell grands will be strong swimmers since they’re learning while wearing street clothes. ? How ridiculous is this? I mean, I know they won’t swim in public but this is the family, FFS! The thought that children clad in modest but appropriate swimwear would stir up impure thoughts is downright sick.

Those were some interesting takes on the Maxwells. I had read another homeschool forum a long time ago that I found while searching for info on the Maxwells and the remarks were pretty much the same, although not quite as frank. But even their fellow Christians found them too rigid.

So last night, I had the pleasure of seeing Margaret Atwood and Samantha Bee discussing The Testaments, The Handmaid’s Tale and other goings-on, and I was once again struck by how much Maxhell resembles Gilead, minus the handmaids. There’s a passage in THT where Aunt Lydia talks about how there’s freedom to and freedom from and how what Gileadan society is providing is the latter, as a means of protection—from themselves and from others. Sarah and Anna have both mouthed this exact same philosophy, that Steve isn’t sheltering them, he’s protecting them from the big bad world and how grateful they are for that protection. The Maxwell men have a lot of autonomy and their businesses demand that they interact with all sorts of people (Joseph’s especially). But the girls—and they are girls, actual age aside—might as well be cloaked and veiled. Economaxwells all.

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

To be honest I am not sure the grands are wearing street clothes exactly, Drew is wearing swim trunks and a rash guard so while it is possible the girls are wearing workout clothing (the fabric doesn't look to be cotton) they may be wearing one of those modest wear swim suits. The aunties are wearing street clothes (and yes, it does look like Anna has a vest on) but they may not be swimming? I sit out by our pool all the time in my normal clothes when the kids and swimming if I am just going to put my feet in. The bottom of Anna's skirt is wet, but it doesn't look wet high enough that she actually went in since the pool looks deeper than that. 

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Threff said:

It turned out that he found the husband so condescending and personally irritating that he was afraid he would say something he regretted

You know I really wish these guys would actually stand up and say it, preferably in front of the entire conference. I very much doubt he was the only one in the audience thinking "what a tool", and one publically challenging Steve might lead to others having the courage to do so too. 

• Upvote 20
  • Love 2

Loving the thread title!!

Judging by the photos, I’m guessing also that the girls are wearing a rash guard and *gasp* shorts, or possibly a skirt. In the photo where Anna and Mary are on the side of the pool, Bethany and Tina look like they’re wearing matching tops, and their legs are quite exposed for the most part (it’s not knee length what they’re wearing). Pretty sure Anna isn’t wet, I think she’s just watching. 

I say autumn, but I’m British so :pb_lol:

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

17 hours ago, Threff said:

From the previous thread.... I dunno, says it all, really... bold mine...

”We attended a family conference led by a well-known husband/wife/family team, who arrived in a fancy tour bus.  The wife was lovely in person, but the husband was sneering, ignorant, and condescending.  I kept wishing she had left him on the tour bus!  It completely colored my enjoyment of their books, as I realized that she must have heavily edited out his tone in their jointly-authored works.

Then, they split up the men to go with the husband, the women to listen to the wife, and the school-aged children to go with their teenagers.  I found it strange to be so split up as a family at a family conference, but I was touched and deeply grateful when my DH came in (completely unprompted) to take the baby out for me so that I could enjoy the rest of the wife's sessions in peace.  He proceeded to walk the halls with the baby for the next two hours.  It turned out that he found the husband so condescending and personally irritating that he was afraid he would say something he regretted, so he thought the baby would be a convenient excuse to sit out for the rest of them.

ETA:  Sorry, I should add that my baby was doing just fine looking at picture books and playing with the trains I had brought, and was NOT crying.  I would have promptly brought him out if he had been disturbing the session.”

You know what I just realized. This could describe a few fundie couples we talk about on FJ. Mike and Debi Pearl come to mind. And so do Marlin and Becky Bontrager. I bet I could think of more. There are just so many asshole patriarchs in fundieland. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I think Anna is definitely wearing a swim-skirt and possibly a rashguard, but my God does that look like a street wear vest. What the Maxhell.

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You know what I just realized. This could describe a few fundie couples we talk about on FJ. Mike and Debi Pearl come to mind. And so do Marlin and Becky Bontrager. I bet I could think of more. There are just so many asshole patriarchs in fundieland. 

I agree, but Debi Pearl is an extremely vile bitch herself, while Teri and Becky appear to be more gracious.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

“What the Maxhell” is BRILLIANT.

Someone asked about the clothes:

Spoiler

92F9998E-90C8-481E-8088-0D1A4584A0BD.thumb.png.dbd4ed23e2b94b7ce9fc399af46f9747.png

Then someone asked about the Christopher Maxwell kids (their phrasing):

Spoiler

3FB96699-82EC-4961-8C9A-D0549BCEFFCE.thumb.png.3a449906aa031010862d116201a08e3d.png

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

I’m gonna say “autumn” instead of “fall” whenever I can, because I’ll be darned if I let PSarah appropriate that!

Remember when a FJer & her husband attended a Maxwell Show — and Steve ignored the woman but talked to the husband?  Didn’t the husband later walk out of Steve’s “men only” presentation because of the blatant misogyny?

• Upvote 9

I'm think\Anna and Mary are wearing Wholesome Wear in one of the photos. It is a modest bathing suit line that several fundies wear, like the Duggars and Bates. I don't think the children are wearing them. The suits are pretty pricey and you can buy them on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/WholeSome-Ladies-Modest-Skirted-Swimmer/dp/B0728CRN9Q

• Upvote 3

Even ZsuZsu has her own line of modest swimwear.  http://www.cuteandcovered.com/  

There are two neighborhood pools close to me.  I have seen a Muslim family there, with their young girl wearing a swimsuit.  It was very similar to a scuba-diving suit - it covered the skin, but was form-fitting and showed every curve.  I really didn't see how it was any more modest than normal swimsuits.  

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic