IGNORED

Medic Corps, a Duggar-Bates Totally Legitimate Humanitarian Organization

bal maiden

20 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

They claim to have a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine as Medical Director and two other MDs on their team: https://mediccorps.org/who-we-are-2/

Whether these (or other, actually qualified) people are out in the field with them is unclear though.

A quick google about the DO and MDs. None are based in Arkansas or TN. Two are based in Michigan and one in Texas. Like, how hands on can they be holding down what appear to be full time medical careers and travel with this corp?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

It seems any medical person with any sort of ethics wouldn’t associate with Nathan Bates. I’m sure that wasn’t the only time Nathan pretended to be a doctor when traveling out of the country, it is just the time they slipped up and showed what was happening. Didn’t they remove those pictures when people started questioning what Nathan was doing?

• Upvote 6

They’ve been busy deleting any comments on Instagram questioning what they could possibly to that would be of any help to the people of Ukraine.

One reply to a critical comment came from a guy named Noah Robinson, who appears to be friends with Jason Duggar, saying they (Mediccorp) were ‘already there’. His reply has been deleted with the original comment.

They are up to something- I just hope they are not making things worse or throwing their weight around.

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Oh FFS! I hope they get their asses handed to them without dying in the process!

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

57 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

(snip)

They are up to something- I just hope they are not making things worse or throwing their weight around.

They don't have much weight to throw around. As far as I'm aware Ukraine is turning away untrained people, because they neither have the time nor resources to train them.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 3

20 hours ago, patsymae said:

my knowledge is admittedly sketchy, so this is an honest question--was Putin also part of the reframing of the Romanovs as pious defenders of Orthodoxy and even saints? 

I don't know. That may have been part of the 2007 reconciliation,

The mystery to me is that Putin was unabashedly KGB, the persecutor of the church, and AFAIK has never apologized for that. He just seems to have been adopted as a son of the church and then protector of the church with a few deft sleights of hand and many windbag speeches. It's astonishing.

10 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Oh yeah--I know a very southern WASP woman who has moved from being Episcopal, to fundy Episcopal (I think those churches in the US sometimes call themselves Anglican?) now to Russian Orthodox. So bizarre. She's studying Russian and everything. Has no family roots anywhere in the Orthodox world and hasn't even been to any of those countries.

We had something of a trend near me in homeschooling circles of families converting to Catholicism and Orthodoxy. One of my friends, a cradle Catholic, used to roll her eyes at all. It was funny/not funny in the sense that they brought their fundamentalism with them and, if enough showed up in one church, it could change the dynamic.

8 hours ago, SassyPants said:

GOOG GOD!

On another note, didn’t Pope Francis recently encourage traditional, far right, Catholic Churches to stop their efforts of separating from mainstream RC ideology and tenets; attempting to out Catholic the RC Church?

Yes, there was a clamp down on the Latin mass. I have no idea how successful.

IMO the Christian landscape from fundamentalist to traditional to progressive is stressed at the moment. The real stresses are a rapid decline in religiosity across board and serious political divides. It's playing out in churches and then in politics and then back to the churches. It's fascinating to watch---when it's not your own community fracturing.

• Upvote 3

I saw that in the orthodox church where I was a member.  It was calm and then a previously fundie-lite Baptist converted to orthodox priest showed up and brought quite a few fundie type beliefs with him.  In a few years we had been invaded by quiverful converts and everything was taking a step toward ultra-conservatism.  I had to leave.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 8
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I saw that in the orthodox church where I was a member.  It was calm and then a previously fundie-lite Baptist converted to orthodox priest showed up and brought quite a few fundie type beliefs with him.  In a few years we had been invaded by quiverful converts and everything was taking a step toward ultra-conservatism.  I had to leave.

That sucks-

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

This talk of them going to, or helping, the Ukraine could just be a way to solicit donations without actually doing anything. After all, they have to pay the people running the organization. 

• Upvote 12

On 3/8/2022 at 10:48 PM, patsymae said:

my knowledge is admittedly sketchy, so this is an honest question--was Putin also part of the reframing of the Romanovs as pious defenders of Orthodoxy and even saints? 

I don't think so. The ROCOR (the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which formed in response to the Soviet Union's secularization efforts) canonized the Romanovs in 1981. The Moscow Patriarchate then canonized them in 2000. In 2003, the church built on the site of the Ipatiev house, where the executions took place, was consecrated, and it looks like Putin visited the church not long after. In my opinion, it looks like Putin accepted the veneration of the Romanovs after it happened, rather than leading the charge for it. And I think that there was veneration of the Romanovs within monarchist and anti-Soviet circles from the start of the USSR, which would have been long before Putin was even alive.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I am so sorry.

• Thank You 1

They have no idea of the atrocities going on there. They better stay where they are and leave competent people doing their job, a lot of European charities are involved already, including some from Italian Catholic Church, which are used to face such situations since decades nationally and internationally.

• Upvote 5

I think part of the Mediccorp set up is that the Duggars own planes they lease to Mediccorp- they did a very long and monotone video about this and said they were concentrating their efforts in Philippines- so I don’t know what’s happening with that.

• Upvote 3

This is the statement on their Instagram post:

"Please be in prayer for our medical team as we dispatch to support the Ukraine crisis. Stay tuned for continued updates. "

I don't read that at all as them going to Ukraine. (Bolding is mine) They could go on a vacation and generically pray for Ukrainian people to know jesus. I'm sure to them that would suffice to "support" any generic population.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Bobology said:

This is the statement on their Instagram post:

"Please be in prayer for our medical team as we dispatch to support the Ukraine crisis. Stay tuned for continued updates. "

I don't read that at all as them going to Ukraine. (Bolding is mine) They could go on a vacation and generically pray for Ukrainian people to know jesus. I'm sure to them that would suffice to "support" any generic population.

I assumed they would be in a nearby country trying to indoctrinate the refugees while also providing a minimal amount of real assistance. 

• Upvote 15

18 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I assumed they would be in a nearby country trying to indoctrinate the refugees while also providing a minimal amount of real assistance. 

This.  What a horrible time and place to be annoying people for Jesus. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Howl said:

This.  What a horrible time and place to be annoying people for Jesus. 

Not inconceivable though. A friend whose son worked with the Red Cross said that pre Covid there were quite a few American evangelical ‘missionaries’ descending upon refugee camps in Greece.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Not inconceivable though. A friend whose son worked with the Red Cross said that pre Covid there were quite a few American evangelical ‘missionaries’ descending upon refugee camps in Greece.

IIRC, some Bateses (and maybe a few Duggars) went on a Gothard mission to convert the Rom people in I think it was Bulgaria. 

This reminds me of back in the day when a group of evangelical idiots who claimed to be a humanitarian mission in Afghan (later admitted they were there to preach Christianity, after of course it was discovered their "humananitarian aid" consisted of distributing bibles in Dari and Pashtu. They knew that this was considered a capital offense, and that the Afghans they were enlisting/converting faced death as well, but they did it anyway. Then used up a ton of US resources being rescued.

Because just staying the fuck home and leaving Muslims alone (not a defense of the Taliban, just saying fundies whould stay home) wasn't an option.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/nov/16/afghanistan.terrorism16

• Upvote 16

22 hours ago, Bethella said:

And those nearby countries really don't need that lot (Medicorps) to come in and insert themselves either. Don't get me wrong. I am in awe of all the people in those countries who stepped up and pitched in privately, but they're already there, know the language, don't take accommodation away from refugees, and aren't preaching.

But, there's a reason why humanitarian aid is best left to established organisations, as far as I'm concerned. The Red Cross/Half-Moon have done this kind of thing before and usually have members on the ground already to help establish operations. That's important, because the wonderful and kind people who stepped up, also have limited resources, and can't organise as efficiently as an existing network.

Medicorps trying to insert itself would be a waste of everyone's time and a nuisance. Mind you, as I'm writing this, I do have an idea for how they might be useful: A lot of water comes in plastic bottles and people afraid for their lives aren't particular about littering. They could collect litter and provide bins. They could also provide food for pets, or pet-sitting services for people waiting in line.

Of course Medicorps will never do any of that, because it would deflate their egos. Because everyone wants to be a hero, who converted the masses, while heroically administering first aid under fire. In a foreign country, where they're just taking up resources needed for someone else.

Edited by samurai_sarah
edited for clarity
  • Upvote 16
  • Love 4

Here (UK), despite our government's woefully slow processing of refugees, people are being encouraged to offer housing or a spare room in their house to refugees. The Duggars have plenty of real estate…..

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Here (UK), despite our government's woefully slow processing of refugees, people are being encouraged to offer housing or a spare room in their house to refugees. The Duggars have plenty of real estate…..

Unfortunately people like the Bates and Duggars are highly unlikely to take in any refugees. Adopt the orphan children, maybe, but take in refugees?

Of course, they'd be much happier to take in Ukrainian refugees than the refugees who are already trying to come here from South and Central America. They want a wall built to keep them out. 

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

Unfortunately people like the Bates and Duggars are highly unlikely to take in any refugees. Adopt the orphan children, maybe, but take in refugees?

Of course, they'd be much happier to take in Ukrainian refugees than the refugees who are already trying to come here from South and Central America. They want a wall built to keep them out. 

Plus, an adult might have *gasp* opinions and fall short of the grateful Victorian orphan they imagine, especially when they attempt to preach.

• Upvote 12

With a convicted CSA felon, several enablers and an adult with a child neglect ticket, I don’t think the Duggars should be taking in any children. But they could offer one of their properties as temporary housing for a family.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 10

17 hours ago, patsymae said:

IIRC, some Bateses (and maybe a few Duggars) went on a Gothard mission to convert the Rom people in I think it was Bulgaria. 

They went to Romania!

I remember being shocked when Katie Bates posted about her honeymoon being her first time out of the country. Her older sisters seemed to go on so many mission trips to Romania and Guatemala.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic