IGNORED

Jinger 50: Making the Most of Los Angeles and Studio City

Coconut Flan

On 9/20/2019 at 1:32 PM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I totally agree with your last bit. It's funny to hear bitter Millennials saying "the boomers ruined everything!" Most people had very little influence on world events. Blame the rich white guys in the Room Where it Happens (University of Chicago, I guess) who naively/stupidly thought trickle-down economics made any sense.

That said, if you can get your Boomer friends on board with actually doing something about climate change, we'd all appreciate it!

I’m a baby boomer born in 1960, that puts me in toward or at the end of that generation depending on which definition you adhere to.

My Dad was a public high school teacher bought a house on the lake in Madison, Wi, my a Mom was a SAHM until all 3 of us were in elementary school. She then worked part time at the school we went to. We weren’t poor, and we weren’t affluent, but we had a nice life.

We went on a driving vacation to Florida every year. (Not Disney) We had a crummy boat but we could waterski, and we went skiing almost every weekend in the winter, back when winter existed.  

Imagine a public high school teacher living like this now. The 1300 square foot lake house I grew up in now costs about 850k.  My parents bought it for 30k in the early 70’s. (Sold it in the 90’s)

Pell grants pretty much put all 3 of us through college and none of us had student debt.

I believe things should be better not worse for younger generations, Regan and company really began dismantling all of that.

The best book I’ve read so far about change is: “View from Flyover Country” by Sarah Kendzior. It really opened my eyes to things that have been happening but I never really thought about how or why this is happening.

We are living in a corrupt golden age on steroids and we are about to lose our democracy, but everyone is waiting for someone to rescue us without realizing we can only rescue democracy.

Pardon my rambling post, but things can and should be better.

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 28
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

6 hours ago, BernRul said:

Hey, what did everyone born in the 1980s and 90s ever do to you? Were we too radical for you?

Oh, I know. It's their annoying habit of being grown ass adults obsessed wtih the cartoons that aired when they were kids. It's like I get it, you like Nicktoons, but that doesn't mean you have to plaster them all over your T-shirts and avatars when you could be paying a mortage like a real adult. 

I mean, what kind of an adult does that? 

I was saying that was one of the groups, there are good and bad in every group. Most of my co workers are millenials, I'm a millenial. My problem is when someone is in uniform and tells you something you should respect it, not go to three or more people trying to get your way then call people hitler, fing idiot, b*****. Not to mention spitting on them, pushing them ect. 

• Downvote 4
  • WTF 7

5 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

The FUCK is wrong with people? Jinger has a photo of her, Jeremy and Felicity on Instagram and the only 2 comments I can see are awful. One asking how Clomid? worked for her. The other if she is doing IVF again or why she isn’t pregnant yet. 

(Sorry, linking to specific comments under a photo has never worked for me)

As I very rarely look at her Instagram, is this “normal”?

Sorry to quote myself. The comments are under a photo of Felicity, not a family one. Changes nothing of the awfulness 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 9/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, VBOY9977 said:

Jinger and Jeremy are in Florida, more specifically Universal Orlando.

I thought that since Jeremy was now in class they wouldn’t have time to travel so much, but I was wrong. They had time to go to the other side of the country. 

They’re also with Jana, Lawson and Jeremiah. 

I've always thought that Jana and Lawson were an impossible match, because their so different personalities. But lately they are meeting often. 

Regarding the Jinger travels, I'm starting to regret being a working mom married with a working dad. Those wannabe preachers and SAHMs have an incredibly fancy way of life! What I am doing wrong? Uhgggg.

• Upvote 18

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I've always thought that Jana and Lawson were an impossible match, because their so different personalities. But lately they are meeting often. 

Regarding the Jinger travels, I'm starting to regret being a working mom married with a working dad. Those wannabe preachers and SAHMs have an incredibly fancy way of life! What I am doing wrong? Uhgggg.

Yes. All those years I was working and raising kids, I thought well, working is a trade off. Working allows you to retain skills, maintain an active career and secure your future, while staying at home allows for more freedom with your time. But these folks seem to have it all. The freedom of ample time, the ability to stay home and have as many kids as they’d like, AND the rewards of having more material items and experiences. It is frustrating-

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

My problem is when someone is in uniform and tells you something you should respect it,

Nope, we don’t live in a dictatorship.....yet.  I have the legal right to be a dick to a police officer. I would never hit, spit or harm anyone nor would I do anything stupid.  I am a white woman, I can’t imagine what people of color have to endure. 

Added bonus, predators dress and pose as police officers to get women to comply with their orders. 

The militarization of local police is a new and terrifying phenomenon.  Questioning authority is the American way.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

Nope, we don’t live in a dictatorship.....yet.  I have the legal right to be a dick to a police officer. I would never hit, spit or harm anyone nor would I do anything stupid.  I am a white woman, I can’t imagine what people of color have to endure. 

Added bonus, predators dress and pose as police officers to get women to comply with their orders. 

The militarization of local police is a new and terrifying phenomenon.  Questioning authority is the American way.

That's part of the problem, you shouldn't treat people like dirt. Society has gone too far from respect. If someone is telling you this is a restricted area, you should respect it. I'm not in the police, I do work with them and hearing what they go through sometimes is heart wrenching.  There's good and bad in every profession and walk of life. 

Bottom line A little respect goes a long way. 

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

That's part of the problem, you shouldn't treat people like dirt. Society has gone too far from respect. If someone is telling you this is a restricted area, you should respect it. I'm not in the police, I do work with them and hearing what they go through sometimes is heart wrenching.  There's good and bad in every profession and walk of life. 

Bottom line A little respect goes a long way. 

This country (assuming you're an American. Like all Americans, I assure everyone is American) was found on the principle that if men in uniform tell you that you need to disperse, then you should throw rocks and snowballs at them. Then when they inevitably start shooting at you, you should call it a massacre even though five people died and demonize John Adams for defending those soldiers. That's a sacred principle that I'll die to defend.

Also, the country was founded on the idea that you should revolt even when the authoriy decreases your taxes, because they also decided to enforce the No Smuggling rule, and you don't want to stop smuggling that sweet, sweet rum. 

So I say disrespecting unjust authority in a uniform is a tradition that we Millenials are proud to uphold. 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Well, I'm new but I wanted to add in that I don't think society has gone too far from respect as an older millennial. I think the US society is learning how to be respectful again and I think the old way of "uniform = respect" is getting thrown out of the window due to people's experiences with those in uniforms. Missing staircase being pointed out and all. 

My own personal experience is that I lost my respect for my local white middle-class suburb police department when my school safety office targeted me and started to harass me because I'm one of those 'outsiders' (not-LDS and LGBTQ) after Columbine. 

I still don't care for the police even though I worked with them and most of my family are in law enforcement because the militarization is scary and really that money should be placed into training for interaction and de-escalation. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, Allele said:

Well, I'm new but I wanted to add in that I don't think society has gone too far from respect as an older millennial. I think the US society is learning how to be respectful again and I think the old way of "uniform = respect" is getting thrown out of the window due to people's experiences with those in uniforms. Missing staircase being pointed out and all. 

My own personal experience is that I lost my respect for my local white middle-class suburb police department when my school safety office targeted me and started to harass me because I'm one of those 'outsiders' (not-LDS and LGBTQ) after Columbine. 

I still don't care for the police even though I worked with them and most of my family are in law enforcement because the militarization is scary and really that money should be placed into training for interaction and de-escalation. 

De escalation is 90 % of what i do, I cant even carry pepper spray to defend myself if jumped or attacked.  My job is one of the last steps before the police get involved.  I'm pretty simple, respect me and I'll respect you. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

De escalation is 90 % of what i do, I cant even carry pepper spray to defend myself if jumped or attacked.  My job is one of the last steps before the police get involved.  I'm pretty simple, respect me and I'll respect you. 

And that is your job, but it doesn't discount that a lot of people have terrible experiences with the police. People disrespect the police because they're scared and don't trust them. They had terrible experiences or know someone who has terrible experiences.

It's not a simple solution to go "respect mah authority". It's not an "I'm not like those other officers so they need to respect me immediately" situation either. It's someone who is a police officer's bad behavior that escalated into a situation where millions of people don't have faith in the police anymore. It tends to spread out to everything that may be associated with the police. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, 3SecondSideHugger said:

I’m so shook right now. Jeremy posted a photo tagged at a Bible College, I click on the link.. it’s a few miles from my house!!! Wtf is that place I have never heard of it. My area is not very big either so I’m shocked right now that they were in my random town in Orlando like down the street. This is weird!

The campus they’re at is Ligionier Ministries headquarters, which was until recently headed up by RC Sproul and included his horrible, mega-patriarchal alcoholic goblin of a son. (“Recently” because Sproul died and Jr. resigned after getting a DUI and marrying a weirdo. His thread here is amazing.)

After they swooned over Voddie and now made a pilgrimage to Ligionier, it’s becoming more clear what JinJer’s preferred flavor of fundie is.

• Upvote 9

19 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Please tell me this is true.

Haha not Jinger, but there’s a lot of speculation in the Jana thread about her doing a dodgy photoshop job on some “immodest” girls in the background of one of her photos.

• Upvote 2

Jinger's insta had a couple of pics of them at a church service in an actual church... you know.. one with stained glass windows and pews and hymnals and a name like Saint Andrews.  I had hopes for a moment.  But I checked out their website and it was pretty darned conservative, oh well.  Still... mainline Reformed as opposed to independent.  In some ways those people scare me more because they have the trappings of intellectual thought behind their bigotry.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Jinger's insta had a couple of pics of them at a church service in an actual church... you know.. one with stained glass windows and pews and hymnals and a name like Saint Andrews.  I had hopes for a moment.  But I checked out their website and it was pretty darned conservative, oh well.  Still... mainline Reformed as opposed to independent.  In some ways those people scare me more because they have the trappings of intellectual thought behind their bigotry.  

I just assumed that St Andrew Chapel was The Webster’s church? I was shocked it seemed so formal and traditional. I also just assumed that they would attend some warehouse, strip mall mega evangelical church. Slap a crucifix in front, some paintings, candles and confessionals and that could be a Catholic Cathedral.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

That's part of the problem, you shouldn't treat people like dirt. Society has gone too far from respect.

I said I have the right to be a dick, which I do. I never treat people with disrespect unless I am disrespected. I am lucky, it never happens to me.

Define respect. Marching orders and being asked to do things beyond their authority isn’t respect, that is obedience. 

Police should first and foremost police themselves. Funny how a guy can get shot in the back yet nobody says anything.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

The campus they’re at is Ligionier Ministries headquarters, which was until recently headed up by RC Sproul and included his horrible, mega-patriarchal alcoholic goblin of a son. (“Recently” because Sproul died and Jr. resigned after getting a DUI and marrying a weirdo. His thread here is amazing.)

After they swooned over Voddie and now made a pilgrimage to Ligionier, it’s becoming more clear what JinJer’s preferred flavor of fundie is.

Wow I have Googled it too now and understand. I just had no idea this is just about next door to me. Hopefully that’s a good sign that it’s not impactful in my immediate community lol we are on the edge of a few more semirural parts so i feel like maybe they draw folks from those parts. My mind is just blown all that was steps away from me and I didn’t know it.

Also @SassyPants from what I can tell in insta tags, the Webster live really across Orlando (in Clermont).. I doubt they’d be driving that far for a church every Sunday. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, SilverBeach said:

But most people have an opinion about something. No need to fight to express an opinion, if you have one. I have a problem keeping my opinions to myself, LOL. Everyone is different.

:my bold above:

Now @SilverBeach, I don't believe that for a minute ... :wink:

Okay, I'll fess up, if I were in a ring, I would definitely want you as my corner-woman. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

On 9/21/2019 at 9:11 PM, mango_fandango said:

I don’t really know where I fall in the generations thing. I was born in ‘95 so I’m between a millennial and a Gen Z-er. According to many definitions I’d be a millennial, but I feel too young to identify with the label, especially because the oldest millennials are in their late 30s, and in terms of life experience there’s a pretty big gap between someone of my age and someone who’s 36-37.

So what you're saying actually applies to us 'elder millenials' too ... it's not clear where people born between 1980 and 1984 fall actually. Gen X pretty consistently seems to end in 1979 and Millenials start somewhat inconsistently between 1983-1985 depending on where you read it... I was born in there somewhere and I am definitely NOT a Gen Xer but I only feel partially Millenial. I think not having internet until HS and not having cell phones until college makes us sufficiently different. So, the term Xenial seems right. 

Generations are more about the ethos of that group vs. what exact part of life you're going thru but due to how fast things change now i do think we will find generations get shorter or have more sub-groups.

• Upvote 10

I’m a millennial (‘88). Old enough to remember life before internet and mobile phones, young enough that both were a given by the time I started university. I remember being taught how to use an encyclopaedia, but I also remember playing Snake on my Nokia on the bus. My kids’ lives are extremely different, and plenty of people already snark at how they’re “bubble wrapped” and get too much screen time and can’t take peanut butter to school etc. 

I do kind of laugh at the “young, lazy, entitled millennials” stereotype, like people forget that we’re in our 30s with a decade in the workforce and kids of our own. I’m middle class with a postgrad degree and a partner of 12 years, but we’re a rarity amongst our friends and the people we grew up with, because we’re paying a mortgage rather than rent. And that’s not because our friends are lazier than their parents, it’s because the housing market in Sydney went from 2.5 times the average annual salary to more than 12 times the average annual salary over the years we were growing up.

• Upvote 17

Mainstream generational stuff is irrelevant for those who grew up even remotely fundie.  I only got a cell phone at 18 or 19 so someone outside my family wouldn't get me one, and it was a bad, limited flip phone.  A few years later, I had a handed down phone that was bad within a year and I continued to use it.  I haven't had a good phone until I bought one this year at age 29, and I don't live near or with my parents anymore.

• Love 7

On 9/22/2019 at 1:29 AM, SportsgalAnnie said:

I was saying that was one of the groups, there are good and bad in every group. Most of my co workers are millenials, I'm a millenial. My problem is when someone is in uniform and tells you something you should respect it, not go to three or more people trying to get your way then call people hitler, fing idiot, b*****. Not to mention spitting on them, pushing them ect. 

Sure, in a mythical world where police misconduct does not exist.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

Advanced issues found

7 hours ago, Smee said:

I’m a millennial (‘88). Old enough to remember life before internet and mobile phones, young enough that both were a given by the time I started university. I remember being taught how to use an encyclopaedia, but I also remember playing Snake on my Nokia on the bus. My kids’ lives are extremely different, and plenty of people already snark at how they’re “bubble wrapped” and get too much screen time and can’t take peanut butter to school etc. 

I do kind of laugh at the “young, lazy, entitled millennials” stereotype, like people forget that we’re in our 30s with a decade in the workforce and kids of our own. I’m middle class with a postgrad degree and a partner of 12 years, but we’re a rarity amongst our friends and the people we grew up with, because we’re paying a mortgage rather than rent. And that’s not because our friends are lazier than their parents, it’s because the housing market in Sydney went from 2.5 times the average annual salary to more than 12 times the average annual salary over the years we were growing up.

I was born a year before you and everyone in my friend group is a "contributing member of society" by every definition.  My friends are lower-middle-class (if that's still a thing... working-class maybe?)  We're coming up on 10 year wedding anniversaries, most are homeowners and have been for several years. Every married couple (and one cohabiting couple) in my friend group has two kids. The majority have degrees- two people just finished additional grad school this year.   My single friends work hard and pay with bills- several have bought homes without a significant other. We deal with depression and alcoholism and kids homework and our parents ageing and declining health. 

All this to say that millennials are pretty much just your average American adults at this point in time.  We aren't the young idealist trying to change the world, we aren't the lazy teenagers trying to play on your lawn. We're just out here living life trying to keep food on the table.  Nothing new to see. 

Now keep an eye on those gen z-ers , I saw one of them eyeballing my lawn the other day. hoodlums the lot of um. 

On 9/21/2019 at 10:29 PM, SportsgalAnnie said:

I don't think blind obedience to authority has ever been an American thing.  Not at all a Millenial thing.  My parents were big on never letting the police in our house and always knowing your rights.   We grew up super poor so the police were not automatically seen as having our best interest at heart.  Now technology has made it so that the middle class can actually see (through video evidence) the way that the impoverished and disenfranchised have always been treated in this country.  Some people choose to ignore the new-to-them information. 

The current groups of "activists", that span several generations, have access to more information than ever before.  It's a blessing and a curse. 

• Upvote 15

• Destiny locked this topic