IGNORED

Jinger 50: Making the Most of Los Angeles and Studio City

Coconut Flan

49 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I am sure it’s just TLC trying to make it seem like the show will have drama and the whole Michelle thing is probably about something else.  Their previews never deliver on what they promises. 

I have no doubt that Michelle talks about Jinger’s attire behind her back, definitely to JB and probably to the J’kids at home, but I don’t think she’d be dumb enough to repeat those words on camera. She’ll probably just say something bland about how different headships have different standards about modest dressing. If deviations from the Duggar clothing standards are that big a deal, you’d think that Jeremy would have been eliminated as a potential suitor though.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Once_Upon_A_Fundie said:

When people go on anti-millennial tirades, I show them this: https://www.vox.com/2017/12/20/16772670/baby-boomers-millennials-congress-debt

Excerpt: 

Sean Illing

So what’s your explanation for the awfulness of the boomers? What made them this way?

Bruce Gibney

I think there were a number of unusual influences, some of which won't be repeated, and some of which may have mutated over the years. I think the major factor is that the boomers grew up in a time of uninterrupted prosperity. And so they simply took it for granted. They assumed the economy would just grow three percent a year forever and that wages would go up every year and that there would always be a good job for everyone who wanted it.

This was a fantasy and the result of a spoiled generation assuming things would be easy and that no sacrifices would have to be made in order to preserve prosperity for future generations.

---

And, if that statement just pissed off a bunch of Boomers who feel it was slanted, unfair, stereotyped, and too blanketed...yes, welcome to the club.

Sincerely,

A Millennial 

Interesting article. However, having lived through those years, they were not a time of “uninterrupted prosperity.” The author of the book notes the huge size of the ‘boomer demographic.’ That huge size meant intense competition for everything, particularly for those from the mid 50s on - for admission to university and post grad, for jobs, for housing when interest rates were double digits, etc.. The country simply wasn’t ready for the huge influx of new adults and perhaps that intense competition created the tendency to grab what you could, I dunno. 

The author suggests that boomers didn’t suffer through the adversity of ‘the war’ (I assume he means WW2) and I can assure you that the young men who died or were maimed in Vietnam and those of us who knew them would disagree.

IMO the labeling of generational cohorts simply furthers the ‘othering’ that already exists amongst us and distracts us from focusing on the very real enemy in our midst - the 1%ers, who are quietly accumulating a bigger piece of the pie while encouraging the rest of us to fight amongst ourselves for the crumbs that they leave.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-expansion-contrasts/rich-get-richer-everyone-else-not-so-much-in-record-u-s-expansion-idUSKCN1TX0HE

Edited by sndral
Add link
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I promise never to laugh at any of y'all if I see stains on your clothing. ?

But really, is that what we are calling "short shorts" these days?? You youngsters have apparently never seen a pair of booty shorts. PS Get off my lawn.

We still totally have to get gay married because you are flipping hilarious.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I promise never to laugh at any of y'all if I see stains on your clothing. ?

But really, is that what we are calling "short shorts" these days?? You youngsters have apparently never seen a pair of booty shorts. PS Get off my lawn.

I rarely read Duggar threads, but this one caught my eye because it was originally in QoS.  I clicked the link expecting to see her in daisy dukes bent over leaning into the car putting the baby in a car seat or getting her out of the seat or something.

I scrolled through thinking at some point I was going to see her in short shorts. 

I want the time it took me to do that and write this post back.  What a non-story.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 4

Looked like Jinger was wiping mascara away to me. But it’ll probably be a teary “of course there’s no tension and it’s just so... so HURTFUL to me... that people think my parents would let our relationship be damaged by what I wear. I mean, yes they say Nike! to my brothers when I approach and Jana photoshops skirts on me before she posts our sister outings on Instagram, but I just don’t know where people got this idea that my family is judgmental about clothes...”

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 28
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

We still totally have to get gay married because you are flipping hilarious.

Only if it can be a Christ-honoring wedding livestreamed for the FJ faithfull. And I'm going to need Sierra as the wedding planner, please and thank you.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Only if it can be a Christ-honoring wedding livestreamed for the FJ faithfull. And I'm going to need Sierra as the wedding planner, please and thank you.

I expect nothing else.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, sndral said:

Interesting article. However, having lived through those years, they were not a time of “uninterrupted prosperity.” The author of the book notes the huge size of the ‘boomer demographic.’ That huge size meant intense competition for everything, particularly for those from the mid 50s on - for admission to university and post grad, for jobs, for housing when interest rates were double digits, etc.. The country simply wasn’t ready for the huge influx of new adults and perhaps that intense competition created the tendency to grab what you could, I dunno. 

The author suggests that boomers didn’t suffer through the adversity of ‘the war’ (I assume he means WW2) and I can assure you that the young men who died or were maimed in Vietnam and those of us who knew them would disagree.

IMO the labeling of generational cohorts simply furthers the ‘othering’ that already exists amongst us and distracts us from focusing on the very real enemy in our midst - the 1%ers, who are quietly accumulating a bigger piece of the pie while encouraging the rest of us to fight amongst ourselves for the crumbs that they leave.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-expansion-contrasts/rich-get-richer-everyone-else-not-so-much-in-record-u-s-expansion-idUSKCN1TX0HE

I agree with your sentiments RE: the 1%. My point was that Millennials are the favoured punching bag whenever someone feels like pointing fingers about laziness/lack of drive/societal ruin, etc., and in reality it is so much more complex than that and in no way singularly tied to a group of young adults who were primarily underage during some of the most pivotal times in the US' recent political/voting history. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

Jinger and Jeremy are in Florida, more specifically Universal Orlando.

I thought that since Jeremy was now in class they wouldn’t have time to travel so much, but I was wrong. They had time to go to the other side of the country. 

They’re also with Jana, Lawson and Jeremiah. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Once_Upon_A_Fundie said:

I agree with your sentiments RE: the 1%. My point was that Millennials are the favoured punching bag whenever someone feels like pointing fingers about laziness/lack of drive/societal ruin, etc., and in reality it is so much more complex than that and in no way singularly tied to a group of young adults who were primarily underage during some of the most pivotal times in the US' recent political/voting history. 

At one point or another, every younger generation has been the punching bag. My GPs had to emigrate to survive, and they thought by parents’ generation was lazy AF (my parents are pre boomers in their 80s). My parents think my generation is overconsumptive AF and that we were never satisfied. Every generation thinks the younger generations are set on destroying the world. Millennials will be pointing fingers and rolling the bus over the next generation too.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

That would be a laugh considering Michelle believed that she broke up her neighbor's marriage because she mowed the lawn in a bikini as a teen.  I hope that's just TLC's patchwork editing in the promo. 

Michelle doesn't have the right to shame Jinger.  Jinger helped take care of HER kids.  So, Michelle...are you going to yell "Nike" when your own daughter comes in the door?

• Upvote 8

18 hours ago, sndral said:

That huge size meant intense competition for everything, particularly for those from the mid 50s on - for admission to university and post grad, for jobs, for housing when interest rates were double digits, etc..

But a relatively small fraction of people went to post-secondary education, compared to today.

I totally agree with your last bit. It's funny to hear bitter Millennials saying "the boomers ruined everything!" Most people had very little influence on world events. Blame the rich white guys in the Room Where it Happens (University of Chicago, I guess) who naively/stupidly thought trickle-down economics made any sense.

That said, if you can get your Boomer friends on board with actually doing something about climate change, we'd all appreciate it!

• Upvote 6

I mean we saw the talk where Michelle was going on about how men who let their wives wear pants will have to answer for it...I'm sure there's some tension there. 

• Upvote 12

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

At one point or another, every younger generation has been the punching bag. My GPs had to emigrate to survive, and they thought by parents’ generation was lazy AF (my parents are pre boomers in their 80s). My parents think my generation is overconsumptive AF and that we were never satisfied. Every generation thinks the younger generations are set on destroying the world. Millennials will be pointing fingers and rolling the bus over the next generation too.

I guess if you're really lucky, you can be a member of a smaller generation that mostly gets ignored, like GenX or the Silent Generation (born during the Great Depression and WWII like your parents and mine). 'Cause if there are fewer people, we don't count, right? :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
clarification
  • Upvote 9

1 minute ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I guess if you're really lucky, you can be a member of a smaller generation that mostly gets ignored, like GenX or the Silent Generation (born during the Great Depression and WWII like your parents and mine). 'Cause if there are fewer people, we don't count, right? :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

GenX Represent! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 5

49 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

That said, if you can get your Boomer friends on board with actually doing something about climate change, we'd all appreciate it!

I am probably not a representative sample, but I have volunteered at a world renowned aquarium for over a decade. To become a volunteer I took vacation time from my ‘day job’ to do the training. I am surrounded by fellow volunteers some boomers, some older, some younger but all committed to reversing the damage irresponsible human activity has on our oceans and our planet. I chose to volunteer there because my very stressful day job that paid the bills and put my son through college w/out student loans (my ex, the deadbeat paid $0) was in a different field entirely and I wanted to do what I could to address what I see as the biggest challenge the planet faces. 

I am not unique, those I volunteer with are all committed to doing our bit, to learning the science, and to spreading the word. My sense from the 1000s of visitors I’ve spoken with from all over the world over the last dozen plus years is that people of all ages recognize the issues and care enough to support change. Of course the type of person who chooses to visit the aquarium is probably more likely to be of that mind set.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 4

I'm an old millennial and I just want to say I have a lot of faith in Gen Z after the climate strike yesterday. ?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 8

On 9/14/2019 at 11:45 PM, SportsgalAnnie said:

All i'm going to say is entitlement is a big problem with all the acts fans I mentioned. 
Working shows idk which is worse: Millenials, Drunk rich people, or screaming teens. 

Hey, what did everyone born in the 1980s and 90s ever do to you? Were we too radical for you?

Oh, I know. It's their annoying habit of being grown ass adults obsessed wtih the cartoons that aired when they were kids. It's like I get it, you like Nicktoons, but that doesn't mean you have to plaster them all over your T-shirts and avatars when you could be paying a mortage like a real adult. 

I mean, what kind of an adult does that? 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 1

Alyssa Webster posted a photo including Felicity that does not have Jinger’s normal filter. I submit this photo as evidence in #blueeyesgate. Baby Webster’s eyes are brown. Felicity’s do not appear brown. I could not care less, but there has been so much conspiracy theorizing around it.

Spoiler

4E5B953B-04FD-4E9F-A8D4-DA7DCA9FAB1C.thumb.png.e3b8b3ee3fce93a8e4e3de1bc4696803.png

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

The FUCK is wrong with people? Jinger has a photo of her, Jeremy and Felicity on Instagram and the only 2 comments I can see are awful. One asking how Clomid? worked for her. The other if she is doing IVF again or why she isn’t pregnant yet. 

(Sorry, linking to specific comments under a photo has never worked for me)

As I very rarely look at her Instagram, is this “normal”?

• Sad 1
  • WTF 10

On 9/20/2019 at 11:58 AM, VBOY9977 said:

Jinger and Jeremy are in Florida, more specifically Universal Orlando.

I thought that since Jeremy was now in class they wouldn’t have time to travel so much, but I was wrong. They had time to go to the other side of the country. 

They’re also with Jana, Lawson and Jeremiah. 

I’m so shook right now. Jeremy posted a photo tagged at a Bible College, I click on the link.. it’s a few miles from my house!!! Wtf is that place I have never heard of it. My area is not very big either so I’m shocked right now that they were in my random town in Orlando like down the street. This is weird!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2019 at 5:33 AM, Smee said:

Jana photoshops skirts on me before she posts our sister outings on Instagram,

Please tell me this is true.

I don’t really know where I fall in the generations thing. I was born in ‘95 so I’m between a millennial and a Gen Z-er. According to many definitions I’d be a millennial, but I feel too young to identify with the label, especially because the oldest millennials are in their late 30s, and in terms of life experience there’s a pretty big gap between someone of my age and someone who’s 36-37.

• Upvote 4

• Destiny locked this topic