IGNORED

Jinger 50: Making the Most of Los Angeles and Studio City

Coconut Flan

A $700k home in the San Fernando Valley is also known as a cheap home for the valley, especially if it’s been fully remodeled.  Where in the valley are they living because they aren’t in the hot spots of Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Encino or Tarzana? My guess is that they are near the church so they are far out in the valley, far away from Los Angeles, especially if the home is somewhat nice because those houses would be closer to a million or more if they were in a more desired area. They must be closer to Sun Valley. Honestly, it’s not a fancy house like Radar is trying to make it, it’s just tract home. I think they are trying to make a narrative that she has somehow gone Hollywood and she really hasn’t. I am just waiting for the articles that she has caught the acting bug and now wants to be fundy Julia Roberts. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 16
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

My house before I left Los Angeles many years ago was worth 850k. It had no ac, crank windows, and when the wind blew, which was frequently, it blew up through the floor. 700k is not a great house there.

• Upvote 15
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Destiny said:

My house before I left Los Angeles many years ago was worth 850k. It had no ac, crank windows, and when the wind blew, which was frequently, it blew up through the floor. 700k is not a great house there.

Wow! Really? That's crazy! Here (near Buffalo, NY) An 850k house would be a gorgeous nice new fancy house!. You know, the kind with bowling lanes in the basement and a tennis court in the backyard! 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 5

27 minutes ago, Destiny said:

That's nuts. Los Angeles is nucking futs.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

That's nuts. Los Angeles is nucking futs.

Truly. But they’re also living in Santa Clarita, which is technically LA, but actually quite far from the heart of the city, especially given traffic and poor mass transportation. The prices are still wildly inflated, but they’re basically in a suburb. It’s not the worst place to live, and I’d deem her more city-adjacent  v “in the city,” but prices in CA are ridiculous. 

It’s got to be quite different from life in Arkansas or Laredo (damn shame we never saw them protesting the inhuman conditions in which human beings are kept, since ICE has a spot in Laredo, but these are Duggaresque Christians, in name only, not following his words whatsoever, so that’s not unexpected). California is just more expensive, sadly. Guess it’s okay that they’ll be voting there, since hopefully their red votes will be drowned in blue.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

Santa Clarita used to be more reasonable if memory serves. It was too far away from work with LA traffic for me, so I never considered it really. They might be able to get something nicer than I had for the price, but even so, they aren’t living in a ginormous mansion. LA is just fucking expensive. Saying you have a 700k house there is just an average place.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Santa Clarita used to be more reasonable if memory serves. It was too far away from work with LA traffic for me, so I never considered it really. They might be able to get something nicer than I had for the price, but even so, they aren’t living in a ginormous mansion. LA is just fucking expensive. Saying you have a 700k house there is just an average place.

I had (now former) in-laws who lived there. It’s HOT, pretty much all the time, so I’d consider AC costs before settling down. But their lives were SC-centered; they could visit LA or Long Beach, where the grandparents lived, but it was always a trek they prepared for. It’s definitely its own area.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 8/6/2019 at 2:09 PM, apandaaries said:
I had (now former) in-laws who lived there. It’s HOT, pretty much all the time, so I’d consider AC costs before settling down. But their lives were SC-centered; they could visit LA or Long Beach, where the grandparents lived, but it was always a trek they prepared for. It’s definitely its own area.

The heat was one of my reasons for noping too, along with the ... Santa Susana is it? Pass. Ain’t nobody got time for 30 mile 3h commutes. My 14 mile one and a quarter hour one was bad enough, thanks.

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

Wow! Really? That's crazy! Here (near Buffalo, NY) An 850k house would be a gorgeous nice new fancy house!. You know, the kind with bowling lanes in the basement and a tennis court in the backyard! 

Yes! Our house looks similar to Jinjers and we live on the outskirts of an old river town. It's a little touristy now but still very affordable. People say it reminds them of stars hollow from Gilmore girls a lot lol. And we got our house for 130K. It had some updates and all new roof/hvac/ updated electric etc but we put about 8k into remodeling the kitchen and bathrooms. I cannot even imagine a 700k house around here. There would be a movie theater, chilled wine caller, and some other HGTV shit going on though. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Yes! Our house looks similar to Jinjers and we live on the outskirts of an old river town. It's a little touristy now but still very affordable. People say it reminds them of stars hollow from Gilmore girls a lot lol. And we got our house for 130K. It had some updates and all new roof/hvac/ updated electric etc but we put about 8k into remodeling the kitchen and bathrooms. I cannot even imagine a 700k house around here. There would be a movie theater, chilled wine caller, and some other HGTV shit going on though. 

Location, location, and also, location.

• Upvote 12

On 8/4/2019 at 3:48 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

True. At least they would have better hair. I have a strange visceral disgust for Joel Osteen’s hair.

Speaking of hair....do you remember an evangelist,Benny HInn?A friend was describing his hairstyle to me, years ago.

She said "Melon,he looks like he has a flying saucer on his head". I managed watch,once...that was enough.

• Haha 8
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

Location, location, and also, location.

True but personally I'd pay more not to live there ? The weather seems nice but I couldn't handle all those people and the traffic it seems stressful 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 3

Well, I think this seals the deal...they are doing a Jinjer decorating episode...again?

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

Yes, haha housing costs are nuts there. My parents house (in the heart of the city) was two bedrooms and you could literally see the house slanting from a really old foundation that needed fixed and it was still worth 1.2 million. Anyways it’s sold a couple years back and the people who bought it tore it down and built a new house.   It’s all about the land and not the dwelling.  I grew up there and left in my 20s and I have not looked back ?

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, melon said:

Speaking of hair....do you remember an evangelist,Benny HInn?A friend was describing his hairstyle to me, years ago.

She said "Melon,he looks like he has a flying saucer on his head". I managed watch,once...that was enough.

Yes, yes, it did look like that! A lot of those TV evangelists, both sexes, are given to excesses in hair and makeup.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Lol! The town in Gilmore Girls was actually partially inspired by some towns in my state, including the one we currently live in. Looking at the various prices listed here makes me grateful we live where we do because our budget should hopefully get us something decent in the area we’re looking in. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I live in CT too and when I moved to Iowa people asked me if it was really like Gilmore Girls. I had a laugh because of the show's version of Hartford and the parts I drive through are... different.  We got an affordable house in a quiet town near the highway so we can easily get most places quickly. I spent half my childhood in this town and honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

• Upvote 5

I haven't kept close tabs on the Duggar doings but I recently checked the instagrams of Jessa, Jill, Jinger, Jana and Joy. I noticed that all the women made some comment or post about Joy's recent miscarriage but not Jinger. The others offered condolences but Jinger just posted happy smiley pictures of herself,her baby and husband. It struck me as odd. Did Jinger and Joy have a falling out? 

• Upvote 2

I'm not aware of any falling out and I don't see too much of their instagrams. My guess is that Jinger expressed her condolences privately, which is tasteful and appropriate and would be the route I'd take. Wouldn't want my heartfelt condolences up for dissection.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

That totally looks like the neighborhood my aunt lives in. She's in Granada Hills. House is about the same era. It was pretty common to add on an upstairs or expand the existing upstairs. My aunt added a family room, built a patio, and added a pool. She's been there for 30+ years, though.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I live in CT too and when I moved to Iowa people asked me if it was really like Gilmore Girls. I had a laugh because of the show's version of Hartford and the parts I drive through are... different.  We got an affordable house in a quiet town near the highway so we can easily get most places quickly. I spent half my childhood in this town and honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Also from CT. 

Think Prospect Avenue on the Hartford/WeHa line for Emily and Richard, or, better yet, Greenwich or other parts of Fairfield County. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Bobology said:

I'm not aware of any falling out and I don't see too much of their instagrams. My guess is that Jinger expressed her condolences privately, which is tasteful and appropriate and would be the route I'd take. Wouldn't want my heartfelt condolences up for dissection.

Yeah I’m guessing that Jinger likely just didn’t feel comfortable saying anything publicly. Amy didn’t either and she's always seemed pretty fond of Joy. I don’t think the married brothers said anything either, though Lauren and Anna commented a bit. I just assumed that the various family members all made whatever condolences they had in private and some of them chose not to speak publicly for whatever reason.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

21 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I always feel kind of weird about articles like this. It feels kind of intrusive for them to be purposely driving past to snap photos like that*. It’s likely public record, but still seems a little weird to me.

That said, I wonder if they bought or are renting. I’d guess they might be renting since Jeremy may end up being sent to another Church out of state after finishing the program, but maybe they bought it instead. Either way, that’s a good chunk of money they’re estimated to have spent/be spending, though maybe that’s not an unreasonable amount for the area they’re in. 

*When it concerns anyone, not just the Duggars. 

Meanwhile, up here in the Bay Area, I'm all like "$700k for a nice-looking 4b/2b house in a presumably okay area? I'll snatch that shit right up!" :wink-kitty:

That said, $4000/month rent (assuming they're renting) seems extremely steep for a family made up of a Master's student who presumably pays tuition, a stay-at-home mom, and a baby. Their only income is the show, right? I would LOVE to know how the hell they're paying for their lifestyle. It does not add up even one little bit.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

Housing costs are always fascinating to me. I googled houses for sale in my area (upstate NY) to see what I could get for 700,000. This home is listed for 695K. 4 Bed, 5 Bath 7130 SqFt 

image.png

• Upvote 21

• Destiny locked this topic