IGNORED

Garlands of Grace Banned from Etsy

Rhonda

18 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm a total neophyte when it comes to Etsy. How do I search using my local area? I was checking out shawl pins, and the ones I liked best come from Latvia. I'd rather shop a wee bit closer to home, if I can!

I searched first for jewelry and accessories (apparently octopus hats are accessories), and when my results page came up there was an option on the left sidebar to refine my search; I picked "Shop Location", hit "custom" and put in my city/ state :)

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

I do love me some Etsy purchases, mostly to feed my addiction to planners. Dividers, dashboards & stickers are my downfall.

That said, I try to buy from US-based vendors, preferably those who actually make stuff, as opposed to importing it from China or wherever. As @AtTara said, you can tailor your search preferences pretty well to include only those vendors in any search. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I don’t think they would’ve gotten banned if the bio stopped at the “1 man + 1 woman” part. The way they quoted that verse is basically calling gay people “abusers of mankind”, which could easily be defined as hate speech. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

I do love me some Etsy purchases, mostly to feed my addiction to planners. Dividers, dashboards & stickers are my downfall.

That said, I try to buy from US-based vendors, preferably those who actually make stuff, as opposed to importing it from China or wherever. As @AtTara said, you can tailor your search preferences pretty well to include only those vendors in any search. 

They have stationery stuff (one of my weaknesses) on Etsy??? I have not searched that option. I have, however, found beautiful rings and water kefir grains there.

My kids are like me. I used to buy stuff during back to school sales at office supply stores and use that for Christmas stocking fillers. The kids were always thrilled to unwrap each item. Who knew tape? staplers? pens and sticky notes would be such a hit?

One thing I'd like to look for on Etsy, if I could figure out how to search for it, is that hair accessory that's basically made of a piece of wood or leather (or maybe other materials) with two holes in it and a stick that goes with it. You roll your hair into a bunlike shape, stick the main piece over, and then put the stick through the holes and hair to hold it in place.

One of those was my main way to wear my hair in college in the 70s, but I haven't seen them since, until one of my kidults saw something like that at an MLM hair accessory booth at the fair. I'd much rather pay someone on Etsy (not someone shilling MLM stuff, but things they've made themself) for one of those for her Christmas present.

Can anyone give me an idea what search terms to use? I have trouble searching Etsy because I get so distracted by shiny things.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, refugee said:

One thing I'd like to look for on Etsy, if I could figure out how to search for it, is that hair accessory that's basically made of a piece of wood or leather (or maybe other materials) with two holes in it and a stick that goes with it.

This sort of thing?

https://www.etsy.com/market/wooden_hair_barrette

https://www.etsy.com/market/leather_barrette

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I tried searching "hair pin barrette wood" and got some neat results.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
link didn't work
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I am not a big Etsy user, probably a good thing for my bank balance. I do like to try and support small business when buying things if possible and would never usually care about people's personal beliefs but if you are going to post your personal views, which you know will cause a lot of offense your business page, don't complain when people object to it.

I was raised Catholic but come from a mixed family and live outside Glasgow, I have seen first hand and have even been a victim of sectarian abuse growing up. In my 13 years of doing RE at my Catholic school, I was never told once that it was ok to discriminate against gay people, people with different religions, people who have different denominations of Christianity or people with different skin colours. Nowhere in the Bible says any of that is ok but these so called Christians thrive on persecuting others and cry victim when people object to them doing it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

My happy Etsy discovery - *thousands* of downloadable PDF counted cross stitch patterns, very reasonably priced (as in, $5 or less). 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

5 hours ago, dripcurl said:

I don’t think they would’ve gotten banned if the bio stopped at the “1 man + 1 woman” part. The way they quoted that verse is basically calling gay people “abusers of mankind”, which could easily be defined as hate speech. 

Etsy terms of service prohibit:

"Refusal of service based on membership in one or more protected group

Derogatory or demeaning remarks against protected groups listed above"

They probably would have been banned for their anti-Catholic statements, too, if they had made them on Etsy.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I have an etsy account, I started it years ago with the intent of selling some of my crochet stuff, but then I realized that there is already so much of that sort of thing on etsy. So I occasionally buy things, Mr. Briefly has an account for our business and he occasionally sells things.  But I don't look at etsy very often.

As far as Harry Potter and who wound up with who, I don't think that Harry and Hermoine should have been together.  It was a little to obvious in my opinion.  I'm not sure about her winding up with Ron, either.

• Upvote 1

I love, love, love Etsy.  I've bought all kinds of things there over the years, but it's mainly my go-to source for vintage clothing and housewares.  And crystals - there are a ton of great crystal shops.  And handspun yarn.  And vintage crochet and cross-stitch patterns.  And hippie patchwork skirts.  And planner stickers.  And, and, and - I could spend a gozillion dollars there.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

And, and, and - I could spend a gozillion dollars there.  

And art prints, and fabric, and hand-dyed yarn-- I could too. I have a wishlist a mile long. Lucky for my bank account, I'm nervous about buying clothes I haven't tried on.

I also own a couple of fine rings from etsy sellers. I'm very, very picky with jewelry and I like that I can look at so many options and even request something customized.

• Upvote 4

I'm actually looking for an alternative selling platform, since Etsy is pushing free shipping so hard. And it's pretty saturated, especially if you work in an area that's easier for the not-handmade shops to go in cheaper and sell more.

• Upvote 3

On September 17, 2019 at 1:03 PM, refugee said:

One thing I'd like to look for on Etsy, if I could figure out how to search for it, is that hair accessory that's basically made of a piece of wood or leather (or maybe other materials) with two holes in it and a stick that goes with it. You roll your hair into a bunlike shape, stick the main piece over, and then put the stick through the holes and hair to hold it in place.

Do a search on the phrase "stick barrette", and you'll come up with many options.

• Upvote 1