IGNORED

New Zealand fundie cut phallus off Māori carving

47of74

US doesn’t have a Christian fundie monopoly as this shows. 

A man who insists he's carrying out God's work does not regret using a chainsaw to slash a phallus from a Māori carving. 

Milton Wainwright, 78, considers himself a devoted Christian and deemed the statue's penis to be obscene and immoral, so on April 16 he tried to cut it off with a handsaw.

Exhausted by the superior quality of the wood, Wainwright, who runs the Woodville Organ Museum, returned the next day with a chainsaw and reduced the phallus to sawdust.

His protest led to a charge of wilful damage and, in the Palmerston North District Court on Thursday, he was ordered to pay $2000 for the emotional harm it had caused whakapapa from Rangitāne.  

• Sad 1
  • WTF 10

Milton Wainwright, 78, considers himself a devoted Christian and deemed the statue's penis to be obscene and immoral, so on April 16 he tried to cut it off with a handsaw.

So, what happens when someone else deems Milton's penis obscene and immoral?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

It’s my impression that most Maori people are Christian, though obviously the wrong kind for Mr. Wainwright. There are a lot of artistic nudes from Europe; why isn’t he castrating them? I guess it’s the “Europe” part that counts ( I am not saying that those statues should be defaced either, but I find it odd that his first impulse was to deface something from a non white culture).

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Exhausted by the superior quality of the wood,

I think someone was jelly...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I have a sort of mostly mental, occasionally written down collection of bizarre and unexpected headlines, and I think "New Zealand Fundie Cut Phallus Off Maori Carving" is now going straight to my top ten. :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

Last month Tararua man Milton Wainwright was charged with wilful damage after the penis was cut off a Rangitāne carving in the Manawatū Gorge. A devoted Christian, Wainwright has said that the penis was "obscene and immoral" because it stands at the entrance to a public walking track.

Wainwright believes European nude male statues, such as Michelangelo's David, are more acceptable because they stand in galleries and museums, which the public, knowing to expect some nudity in art, can choose to visit or not.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503459&objectid=12243079

The link contains a photo of the carving ... and if you’re not familiar with Māori carvings - let’s just say that this one was one of the very tamest I’ve seen! They’re usually a lot bigger and more penis-looking!

So what’s next? Is he going to tell them that the Māori pronunciation of whakapapa needs to change?! Because the first time I heard it, i was much more shocked and goggle eyed than when I saw the carving whose hand is gripping his erect penis. 

(Whakapapa is pronounced fuck-a-papa).

Edited by adidas
Edited because I messed up the quote box ... but I can’t fix it :(
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

It’s my impression that most Maori people are Christian, though obviously the wrong kind for Mr. Wainwright. There are a lot of artistic nudes from Europe; why isn’t he castrating them? I guess it’s the “Europe” part that counts ( I am not saying that those statues should be defaced either, but I find it odd that his first impulse was to deface something from a non white culture).

Not taking anything away from the (probably) racist aspect, but it is fairly difficult to find European style nude statues here and very easy to find Maori carvings. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2