IGNORED

STFU Tim Tebow

SPHASH

Tim didn't need any money, under the table or otherwise. It seems the family was doing quite well. Well enough, for a stay at home mom to homeschool. And then by the time he was in college, mom was likely raking it in from "love offerings" speaking at evangelical churches and events about not aborting him and raising perfectly pure children. Because she was a thing for a while there in that world. 

So Timmy probably got a nice allowance from home while the NCAA used him for slave labor and was too self-righteous to notice some of his teammates didn't even have laundry money while making millions for the university plus not even being allowed to work or accept money from anyone but family.

A player at Nebraska got in trouble with the NCAA for accepting a homemade ham sandwich while appearing at a local event around the time Tebow was playing. In order to avoid sanctions, he had to pay the woman who made it  almost $23--the amount that the NCAA decided was the value of a homemade ham sandwich. She gave the money to charity. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 13
  • Love 2

He was speaking at the MLM Monat conference a few days ago.

Monat is the shampoo which burns your scalp and fries your hair.

• Haha 6
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

He was speaking at the MLM Monat conference a few days ago.

Monat is the shampoo which burns your scalp and fries your hair.

Monat was my SiL's 457th attempt at an MLM. She gushed about it for weeks then abruptly shut up. And also was hiding her hair for a couple of months after shutting up. 

I laughed a lot. 

I'm a bad person. 

• Haha 12
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Tim didn't need any money, under the table or otherwise. It seems the family was doing quite well. Well enough, for a stay at home mom to homeschool. And then by the time he was in college, mom was likely raking it in from "love offerings" speaking at evangelical churches and events about not aborting him and raising perfectly pure children. Because she was a thing for a while there in that world. 

So Timmy probably got a nice allowance from home while the NCAA used him for slave labor and was too self-righteous to notice some of his teammates didn't even have laundry money while making millions for the university plus not even being allowed to work or accept money from anyone but family.

A player at Nebraska got in trouble with the NCAA for accepting a homemade ham sandwich while appearing at a local event around the time Tebow was playing. In order to avoid sanctions, he had to pay the woman who made it  almost $23--the amount that the NCAA decided was the value of a homemade ham sandwich. She gave the money to charity. 

Naysayers point out that the athlete is getting a free education, meals at the training table, medical insurance for injuries etc but what they don't realize is the scholarship only covers for instate tuition, so if an athlete from Florida enrolls at Nebraska they have to pay the out of state fees unless they become a Nebraska resident.  Also if the athlete wants to go home for spring break they have to pay for it themselves.  I read Barry Switzer former coach at Oklahoma memoirs and he wrote about the NCAA's restrictions and how bullshit they were.  One of his player's grandmother died and he couldn't afford to bury her, she was his closest relative so Barry contacted some boosters and they gave the player the money to pay for it under the table of course.  Another time during Christmas break when most students went home he came across a female student who was also a swimmer but couldnt afford to go home for a few days so he bought her a plane ticket.  He was making millions in salary and endorsements so he could afford to.  Rick Majerus former basketball coach at Utah got in trouble for buying Keith Van Horn a sandwich, Keith's dad had just died and Rick was driving Keith to the airport to go home and got him the sandwich at the airport.  Brian Bosworth was right, the NCAA are communists.

Edited by SPHASH
Spelling
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 2
  • Love 1

Tebow has also made a ton of money off of his books.

When he got engaged he flew his fiance's entire family in from South Africa to his family's 44 acre farm outside of Jacksonville.

Typical conservative fundie...I got mine, but everybody can go suck it.

Oh, and fiance's ring?  7.25 carats.

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Love 3

@kpmom Well, here in the Midwest, that's a tiny farm. Average is 934 acres. But, nonetheless, the Tebow family could afford to give Timmy all he needed while playing fb in college. 

The NCAA has loosened some regulations. Players can earn a bit of money in the off season now with regular jobs. I've heard of players waiting tables and such in Lincoln in summers. Initially, the amount was regulated, so I don't know if that's changed. 

And they've relaxed some of the rules about someone other than immediate family members buying them meals on occasion and given the universities more room to feed them appropriately. At one point in time, Nebraska was in trouble for giving them breakfast in sacks before away games (or at some time on a bus or plane) that contained bagels and a container of peanut butter or cream cheese. Apparently only the bagel was allowed, toppings were considered a "benefit" not necessity and thus not allowed. I think that since then, it's been decided athletes can have toppings on a bagel provided by the university. And since the fall of 2015, they are allowed a stipend for living expenses from the universities  so that there is money for laundry and such. I remember a time when coaches here talked about kids who couldn't put gas in the car (if they had one), pay bus fare to campus (and most of them live off campus because of needing to be around for summer conditioning and during breaks, etc... when dorms aren't open), or have quarters for the laundry. And never mind getting home when the need arises. 

None of that makes it any fairer. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

The NCAA is a shite organization, as fraudulent & bogus as the day is long. Its ineffective not to say corrupt oversight of college sports is matched or exceeded only by FIFA. IMO, serious thought should be given to cutting football completely out of college athletic programs -- especially at the major Division I state schools. Those aren't school sports teams; they're quasi-pro outfits and should be handled that way. 

In any case, football's days may be numbered due to the unacceptably high human cost it imposes, despite the NFL's, NCAA's, and others' attempts to quash the data on TBIs and the players who incur them through football.

Oh, and Tim Tebow is a fucking asshole.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

@kpmom Well, here in the Midwest, that's a tiny farm. Average is 934 acres. But, nonetheless, the Tebow family could afford to give Timmy all he needed while playing fb in college. 

Oh I agree, it’s not large as far as farms go. I was just making the point that this is not a poor family. From what I’ve seen, this is more a hobby farm rather than trying to eke out a living farm. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

$23 ham sammich?!   Is that how much my sandwiches cost?  Damn. 

Well, hopefully they win and earn a trip to the White House where they will get all the cold fast food they want.  : /

ETA:  Tebow can suck it.  

Edited by Beermeet
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 3

36 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

$23 ham sammich?!   Is that how much my sandwiches cost?  Damn. 

Well, hopefully they win and earn a trip to the White House where they will get all the cold fast food they want.  : /

ETA:  Tebow can suck it.  

Oh that was in the neighborhood of 15-20 years ago, now that I look up the player. So I'm sure the NCAA would price it at $50 or so now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Oh that was in the neighborhood of 15-20 years ago, now that I look up the player. So I'm sure the NCAA would price it at $50 or so now. 

No doubt.  Jerks.  Honestly,  I agree with @hoipolloi.  This isn't just college kids playing football.  This is a multi million dollar business.  The players sacrifice their time and bodies/brain to play.  Of course, the players love the game but let's be honest. Why shouldn't they make some money?  The organization makes tons. This isn't bake sale shit. I'm aware of how shitty the NCAA is but didn't know handing a fellow human a sandwich I made is punishable.  That's insane.  

• Upvote 7

I couldn't care less what Jesus Tebow has to say about anything.  He should just slither off in to his comfortable retirement.  I can't stand these uber Christians who love to bray about what big time Christians they fucking are.  I seem to recall Jesus said not to do that. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shocked they haven't married yet. Dude been waiting a LONG time. Thought for sure he'd be hitched in a month after engagement. I'm sure they are not short on wedding funds. Have we decided if Tebow is considered fundie lite?

4 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Shocked they haven't married yet. Dude been waiting a LONG time. Thought for sure he'd be hitched in a month after engagement. I'm sure they are not short on wedding funds. Have we decided if Tebow is considered fundie lite?

He had been playing Triple A baseball in Syracuse, N.Y. (although he was injured and out for the rest of the season in July).  I'm guessing they planned for the wedding to take place after the season was over (which it is now). 

I guess they're keeping the wedding date secret?

• Thank You 1

Is he still claiming to be a virgin?  I think it was him.  I may be mistaken.  At any rate, @47of74 I agree with you 100%, Jesus did say not to brag or do things for show.  @Tangy Bee, just my opinion but I would say his is Fundy Lite but very possibly on the way to become 100% fundy. I don't like him, whatever he is or claims to be.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

Is he still claiming to be a virgin?  I think it was him.  I may be mistaken.  At any rate, @47of74 I agree with you 100%, Jesus did say not to brag or do things for show.  @Tangy Bee, just my opinion but I would say his is Fundy Lite but very possibly on the way to become 100% fundy. I don't like him, whatever he is or claims to be.

This is my summation of him, too. As a fundy-lite Christian at the time he was doing his whole embarrassing act in football, even then I found him distasteful. 

• Upvote 4

On September 30, 2019 at 1:10 PM, Tangy Bee said:

His fiancé doesn't appear to be in a rush. She's a former Miss Universe and currently lives in NYC where she's a model. Not sure if she shares his Southern Baptist beliefs, but she posts glamorous pics on Instagram and supports women's rights as well as gay and transgender people. I doubt she wants to give up her career to homeschool the large brood he supposedly wants to have. It will be interesting to see if he loosens up a bit once they're married.

i think it's great that he's used some of his fortune to help orphans and kids with disabilities, but I get turned off by the publicity shots of him doing his good deeds. Jesus wouldn't have posted pics of Himself feeding the poor and healing the sick on Instagram.

As far as his rant about not paying college athletes, I think it speaks volumes  about his white privilege. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, Giraffe said:

This is my summation of him, too. As a fundy-lite Christian at the time he was doing his whole embarrassing act in football, even then I found him distasteful. 

As I’ve mentioned before, I have way more respect for people like former Yankees pitcher Mariano Rivera, who is just as strong a Christian but kept from making a show of it on the field.  He did his job and let his life be his testimony.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 10/3/2019 at 12:14 AM, SecularMusic said:

His fiancé doesn't appear to be in a rush. She's a former Miss Universe and currently lives in NYC where she's a model. Not sure if she shares his Southern Baptist beliefs, but she posts glamorous pics on Instagram and supports women's rights as well as gay and transgender people. I doubt she wants to give up her career to homeschool the large brood he supposedly wants to have. It will be interesting to see if he loosens up a bit once they're married.

Then why in the HELL is she marrying him?  If she truly supports women's and gay rights,  she needs to think real hard about getting married too TT. And then run for the hills.   He's unlikely to change his mind and she's likely to be miserable.  It may not seem like it will be a factor in everyday like, but it will be.

• Upvote 8