IGNORED

Lori Alexander 71: She of Appalling Ignorance

Being "saved" means being rescued from the hellfire and damnation waiting for those who have not chosen Jesus as their savior. You will see the "saved" designation used more by conservative/evangelical groups, as humanity is definitely bifurcated into saved and unsaved classes.  Saved folks should always BOLO for unsaved folks to convert them and prevent their eternal damnation.  You get lots of extra brownie points from God for doing this. Being saved is sometimes associated with a specific emotional encounter, sometimes it isn't.  

I don't subscribe to this simplistic belief system, I don't believe in a hell.  Just offering a bit of explanation for those questioning what this saved business is all about, based on my many decades of involvement with Protestant churches.

• Upvote 17

33 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Being "saved" means being rescued from the hellfire and damnation waiting for those who have not chosen Jesus as their savior. You will see the "saved" designation used more by conservative/evangelical groups, as humanity is definitely bifurcated into saved and unsaved classes.  Saved folks should always BOLO for unsaved folks to convert them and prevent their eternal damnation.  You get lots of extra brownie points from God for doing this. Being saved is sometimes associated with a specific emotional encounter, sometimes it isn't.  

I don't subscribe to this simplistic belief system, I don't believe in a hell.  Just offering a bit of explanation for those questioning what this saved business is all about, based on my many decades of involvement with Protestant churches.

And some think that they get extra, extra brownie points if you "save" a Catholic. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

And some think that they get extra, extra brownie points if you "save" a Catholic. :pb_rollseyes:

Someone on this morning's post asked the unrelated question, 'Can a Catholic guy marry Muslim girl according to christianity?' Someone else answered, 'Since rarely is a Catholic a true christian I don't see how this is even applicable.' 

One of those times where I really wish I could respond. :my_dodgy:

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

I'm not convinced Lori chose motherhood for any reason other than that it gave her an excuse to not have to work. I'm fairly certain she got married so someone else would have to financially carry her, and we know for sure the only reason she had her second child was to get to stay home full time.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that if Ken (after Alyssa was born had said) "You can stay at home now, but you have to go to work if we have another child", then Alyssa would be an only child.

Also, who has she ever nurtured? Did God forget she was a woman or are we going by different definitions? Because flicking babies cheeks, letting them cry for hours, beating them an entire day for spilled raisins do not go under nurturing in my dictionary.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

And some think that they get extra, extra brownie points if you "save" a Catholic.

I think atheists, Jews and Muslims are on that list, as well. Possibly Mormons.

Not sure how excited they get about Hindus, Buddhists, and every other flavor of belief.

It's the Protestant-to-their-kind-of-Protestant "conversions" that are ho-hum.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Someone on this morning's post asked the unrelated question, 'Can a Catholic guy marry Muslim girl according to christianity?' Someone else answered, 'Since rarely is a Catholic a true christian I don't see how this is even applicable.' 

One of those times where I really wish I could respond. :my_dodgy:

Muslim isn’t a religion SMH. I know this means nothing to Lori or her followers but Catholics saved lots of Jews during the holocaust. I would say this is very Christ like. Jesus said if you want to follow him give all of your possessions to the poor and follow him. 

ETA: the Bible probably doesn’t talk about coparenting because most families shared a bedroom. I would assume parents and children did but it may depend of wealth.

Edited by Lgirlrocks
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

She's all over the map on the co-sleeping responses.  We don't live like they did in Biblical times, except when you go to Titus 2:3-5 and the verses about women speaking in church.  Then, we live under the rules of Biblical times.  

This is Lori in a nutshell:  James 1:8 King James Version (KJV). 8 A double minded man woman is unstable in all his her ways.

• Upvote 14

It never ceases to amaze me that Lori allows comments like these on her blog. Robert Z. sees his sons as other men in his bed. 

"Nothing provokes me to anger more than coming to bed, tired and ready to hit cool sheets, only to find my 8, 10, or 12 year old son in bed with my wife. There’s just something about the idea of my wife being in bed with “some other guy“, and the fact that that “other guy” is my son does not even begin to make it OK. And I do not expect to have to “warm bunk” in my own bed."

• Disgust 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 23

Does Lori consider keeping a baby bassinette in the room cosleeping? 

I'm also confused with the "always follow your husband and put him first before your children" vs. "don't follow your husband when he commands you to do something ungodly."

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

It never ceases to amaze me that Lori allows comments like these on her blog. Robert Z. sees his sons as other men in his bed. 

"Nothing provokes me to anger more than coming to bed, tired and ready to hit cool sheets, only to find my 8, 10, or 12 year old son in bed with my wife. There’s just something about the idea of my wife being in bed with “some other guy“, and the fact that that “other guy” is my son does not even begin to make it OK. And I do not expect to have to “warm bunk” in my own bed."

what an utterly disgusting way to think of your child. WOW.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 17
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

I had just come over to share the same thing. He goes on to say he is a very jealous husband and the thought of his wife sharing a bed with anyone else, including his children, is unbearable to him. 

Sweet mercy! I am fearful for the safety of his wife and kids. 

We are definitely getting a good reminder of the kind of people Ken and Lori write for. 

This stuff is so gross. 

• Upvote 13
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, Loveday said:

Since rarely is a Catholic a true christian I don't see how this is even applicable.

A relative was confirmed into the Catholic church this year during easter vigil. I attended, and have never seen so much scripture and Jesus worship, including that huge cross with Jesus hanging front and center. What the hell is a "true" Christian anyway? It fries me when ignorant evangelicals say stupid stuff about Catholics. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 6

One of the pastors of my former fundy-lite church was a missionary in Barcelona for something like 12 years, and he claimed that “We had the only church in the city with an empty cross.”

• WTF 3

5 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Oh, yes. That's a lot of points. You even get to give your testimony before you drag the ex-Catholic up for theirs. 

I always noticed that the newly saved ex-Catholics were usually the Christmas and Easter Only types. If that. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Consider Lori's advice to me would be to depend on my church to pay my bills and actively "be on the hunt" for another "breadwinner' makes light of the very real pain of losing a spouse. It's been just over 3 weeks...I've neglected myself to the point of getting sick. Not cool y'all and that's entirely my fault. So, at some point I'll crawl back into bed. and deal with it and wish like hell my husband was here to take care of me.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 35

16 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

Don’t forget the paddle of righteousness and jean skirt of modesty. Gotta have the full armor of fundamentalism. Without it you can’t enter Lori’s chat room...I mean heaven, yeah heaven. :banana-angel:

The only denim skirts I've ever owned are mini skirts that I wore in the 90s in HS.  Do those count?  ?

7 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

AND all of this drama she is causing about an issue that's not really that big of a deal and only for a season and frankly ONLY the private business of  each family/couple.

She is holding up the "marital bed" now as this big idol, when hasn't she admitted on multiple occasions that she and Ken don't even sleep in the same room? If I wasn't banned, I'd point this out.

Here is one reference, but she's talked about it on several occasions:  http://lorialexander.blogspot.com/2012/06/separate-bedrooms.html

She can't conceive that sex happens 1) outside of sleeping hours, and 2) not in a bed!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I had just come over to share the same thing. He goes on to say he is a very jealous husband and the thought of his wife sharing a bed with anyone else, including his children, is unbearable to him. 

Sweet mercy! I am fearful for the safety of his wife and kids. 

We are definitely getting a good reminder of the kind of people Ken and Lori write for. 

This stuff is so gross. 

It's a disgusting, twisted view.  I'd be afraid of him abusing his children because he sees them as a burden rather than his own flesh and blood.  I was truly disturbed when I read his comment.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

When using the Bible as a guide, which is how it is supposed to be used, you can only go by what is given not what is not given. For Lori to say the Bible doesn’t say blank so it must be wrong isn’t the correct way to look at it. Every person is created in the image of god and had their own gifts and talents. Jesus, who Christians should model their life after, treated both genders the same. He called out more religious leaders for their bs then anyone else. He never spoke on husbands being bosses of their wives and telling them what to do. He never said women couldn’t work outside of them home. 31FA2238-45AB-49BF-94AD-8D3A042071AD.thumb.jpeg.2d1f8858a841efb0dc829b3c819cfc04.jpeg

Jesus never spoke about having sex with a spouse. He did say to treat others the way you wants to be treated. Paul spoke on sex and said husbands don’t deprive your wives and wives don’t deprive your husband. Any loving partner won’t want to have sex with their spouse if their spouse doesn’t want to.

Spoiler

7280C4B7-F74F-44E7-9CD1-851471154542.thumb.png.a4d8dbf977e336f8783c5800c99b36e3.png86D7660F-4BF3-4777-81D2-C2DA9311E8AD.thumb.jpeg.9bdeaccabe23e573dca288a6b09b2d27.jpeg

• Upvote 14

There is no verse in the Bible about wearing underwear.  Not one.  So if a wife wants to wear underwear but her husband is adamant that she doesn't, she must obey him.  <Insert verse here about married women having no free will>  So a wife must go commando according to her husband's wishes even if it is inconvenient or uncomfortable for her.  It allows him easier access to sex on demand, which is his right.

Lori would say this is ridiculous and isn't at all the same as what she posted today, but she would be wrong.  It's an identical argument that has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with a husband having no regard for his wife's well being.

Edited by hollyfeller
Typos
  • Upvote 20

5 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Robert Z has some serious issues.  He strikes me as someone with some serious twisted thoughts. I fear for his children.

As far as being saved, I feel like I am. And that's what I want.  But I don't think I'm qualified to judge someone else's status.  I am a Christian. But that's what works for me.  The Briefly daughter is pagan. That's what works for her.  I have Catholic friends.  They consider themselves Christian. I have a few friends who I think are Atheist (we've never discussed religion). That's what works for them.  We all have to make our own decisions on any religious belief, or lack of religious belief.  And it's not up to Loridiot or anybody else, what someone thinks/feels/believes/worships. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, hollyfeller said:

There is no verse in the Bible about wearing underwear.  Not one.  So if a wife wants to wear underwear but her husband is adamant that she doesn't, she must obey him.  <Insert verse here about married women having no free will>  So a wife must go commando according to her husband's wishes even if it is inconvenient or uncomfortable for her.  It allows him easier access to sex on demand, which is his right.

Lori would say this is ridiculous and isn't at all the same as what she posted today, but she would be wrong.  It's an identical argument that has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with a husband having no regard for his wife's well being.

I hadn't even seen these comments on Lori's post when I wrote this!  Great minds!

underwear.thumb.JPG.b1ba10c127fde0c67ec882c7046d01c8.JPG

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 15

9 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I'm not convinced Lori chose motherhood for any reason other than that it gave her an excuse to not have to work. I'm fairly certain she got married so someone else would have to financially carry her, and we know for sure the only reason she had her second child was to get to stay home full time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the later kids corresponded to rough patches in the marriage and her decision to leave her womb "open to God" (conveniently after her peak fertility was behind her) and her commitment to "submission" came at times when the kids were getting older and less dependent and she needed some new way to tie Ken to her more firmly. Lori sees people through the lens of what they can do for her. Ken is her personal bank. The kids tied him to her, and gave her an excuse not to work. Suddenly becoming more devout and deciding to follow "biblical" tenets about submission had the double effect of making divorce much less likely and placating some of Ken's grievances about how terrible she is. We've noticed once her parents got to thee point of needing help themselves rather than being available to rub her feet for her, she seemed to basically ignore them, staying on vacation while her mother was dying. She's probably really jealous of all the attention Alyssa (and the rest of the family) are giving the new baby. It's taking away from LORI. (I admit much of that is speculation, but I'd be willing to bet a few dollars on it.)

She wants to live like a spoiled child - doing what she feels like while other people (her parents, housekeeper, nanny, Ken...) take care of the necessities for her. 

Good for Alyssa. I hope she ignores her jealous shrew of a mother. 

Also, Lori again is being dumb. I'm thinking the majority of people in biblical times were not living in mcMansions where they could shut children away in their own rooms to ignore so Lori mom could sleep all night, take afternoon naps, and have peace and quiet. You don't have to command parents to co-sleep with their children when that is probably the norm and most houses didn't have multiple bedrooms. (Or bedrooms at all, I'd bet - I'm sure many families were living all in one room together, at least in poorer areas.)

Lori is a selfish, lazy idiot with absolutely no compassion and no reasoning ability at all. 

I have said the same thing before so I totally agree with you. I, too, think that she had Alyssa because that's what you do. She had Ryan because, well, she admitted to damaging her birth control to stay home, so, that's why she had him. I think she had Steven because he gave her an excuse to stay home longer and if I'm not mistaken she mentioned once that Cassie was an oops, but she was also an excuse to continue to not work. When Cassie was young she was in an accident and injured her neck. Suddenly she also had parasites and neck pain and was just "so sick" all the time. Again, excuses to not work. She was too "ill" to work. She was too "ill"  to clean or parent either, hence the housekeeper and nanny. Any excuse to sit on her butt and do jack shit. 

When the kids were grown, Ken suggested leaving her and well, can't have that, so suddenly she decides to be "submissive" and it was a command to stay home while the man worked. Also divorce is a sin. Ta-da, Lori gets to continue to sit on her butt and do jack shit. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 12

44 minutes ago, hollyfeller said:

I hadn't even seen these comments on Lori's post when I wrote this!  Great minds!

underwear.thumb.JPG.b1ba10c127fde0c67ec882c7046d01c8.JPG

This reminds me of something @EowynW posted. (I just realized she hasn't been around. I hope she and Mr. Eowyn are doing well.) She said that her fundie mom told her that married women need to sleep in nightgowns instead of pjs, for their husband's convenience. ? 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
added thought
  • Upvote 13
  • Disgust 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic