IGNORED

Gun Violence 3: Thoughts and Prayers Continue to be Insufficient

GreyhoundFan

Howl
On 4/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, Howl said:

On the day of the shooting, Broderick went to the apartment complex for "a scheduled custody visit" which led me to say to myself "WTAF?"  How is this guy getting any type of visitation with his teenaged daughter when he's out on bond for sexually assaulting a a minor child AND he's earlier had a restraining order? 

Our local paper, the Austin American Statesman, had a long article today that led with the Broderick murder and discussed problems with family court, among other things. 

When the mother applied for a restraining order last year, she noted that she and THE DAUGHTER were terrified of Broderick and Broderick had visitation rights with his son, but not the daughter.   Things fell through the cracks during the pandemic and with Family Court, because Broderick's visitation with the son was not at a neutral location or supervised, even though the restraining order was still in place. 

For anyone interested in this topic , I highly recommend a book titled No Visible Bruises: What We Don’t Know About Domestic Violence Can Kill Us,  with case studies on family annihilators and abusers and the obvious red flags in domestic violence patterns point to the worst outcomes: murder.  FYI, a history of domestic violence that includes choking a domestic partner is a major predictor of ultimate homicide, and a checklist has been developed to help determine how much danger a woman (and her children) are in. 

Review by Masha Gessen, in the New Yorker's "Page-Turner" blog

Spoiler

[Snyder] has written a book about everything: about men who beat and kill their wives or girlfriends; about people who work to predict murder, and those who try to heal the abusers; and also, deeply, about gender, poverty, depression, despair, privilege, law enforcement, incarceration, justice, mental health, and politics...It takes a writer of uncommon talent and confidence to pull this off...

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 47of74

• fraurosena

• GreyhoundFan

• Ozlsn

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oooh, I like this idea!  

Some good news out of Washington State They took 18 firearms out of the guy’s home.  Awaiting the Branch Trumpvidian freakout because cops took guns away from a guy with dementia. 

Fuck the NRA. 

Posted Images

WiseGirl

This is a pretty powerful thread.

• Sad 6
fraurosena

*throws hands in the air and rolls eyes* 

What the fuck is wrong with you, America?

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
Ozlsn
On 4/27/2021 at 1:10 AM, fraurosena said:

*throws hands in the air and rolls eyes* 

What the fuck is wrong with you, America?

Feel unsafe, buy guns. More guns in population -> more accidents/homicides, increased likelihood of mass shooting -> feeling unsafe...

• I Agree 2
  • 2 weeks later...
47of74

Some good news

A federal judge in Dallas ruled on Tuesday that the National Rifle Association cannot use bankruptcy to reorganize in gun-friendly Texas, dealing a serious blow to the influential gun rights group's effort to avoid a lawsuit in New York seeking its dissolution.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Harlin Hale said the NRA did not file for Chapter 11 protection in good faith, but rather did so to avoid oversight by New York Attorney General Letitia James and gain an "unfair litigation advantage" over her.

In dismissing the bankruptcy bid, Hale singled out Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's longtime chief executive, for criticism.

"Excluding so many people from the process of deciding to file for bankruptcy, including the vast majority of the board of directors, the chief financial officer and the general counsel, is nothing less than shocking," Hale wrote.

• Upvote 6