• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
GreyhoundFan

Gun Violence 3: Thoughts and Prayers Continue to be Insufficient

GreyhoundFan

It's heartbreaking that we need another thread on this horrible topic.

Continued from here:

GreyhoundFan

WTAF? "‘Absolutely horrific’: School-shooting-themed sweatshirts slammed by gun violence victims"

Spoiler

image.png.54b5b12e6800b36000671f94dbf1ace9.png

At a fashion show in New York this weekend, a tall model walked down a narrow runway flanked by streetwear devotees. He wore white-and-gold sneakers, khaki pants and a dark gray sweatshirt with the hood up. Across his chest, the word “Columbine” jumped out in embroidered white letters surrounded by ripped holes.

He wasn’t alone. Three other models soon strutted the checkered floor, each wearing a hoodie tattered with bulletlike holes and embroidered with the names of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history.

The co-founder of the fashion label later explained he wanted to “make a comment on gun violence … while also empowering the survivors of tragedy.” But instead, the show left victims and their families demanding the company shelve the line and apologize.

“This is just absolutely horrific,” the Vicki Soto Memorial Fund, managed by the family of a teacher who died in the Sandy Hook shooting, tweeted Monday. “A company is mak[ing] light of our pain and other’s pain for fashion.”

The sweatshirts, designed by streetwear brand Bstroy, reference shootings at Columbine High School, where 13 people were killed in 1999; Virginia Tech, where 32 people were killed in 2007; Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 26 people were killed in 2012; and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where 17 people were killed in 2018.

The shirts first drew widespread attention on Sunday, after the brand’s co-founder, Brick Owens, posted photos of the clothes on Instagram. By Tuesday afternoon, the posts had been inundated with criticism from gun violence survivors and victims’ families.

“Under what scenario could somebody think this was a good idea?” tweeted Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter died in the Stoneman Douglas shooting. “This has me so upset.”

The aunt of another student who died in the Parkland, Fla., shooting told the company, “You should be ashamed of taking advantage of her death to make” money.

Bstroy’s co-founders, Owens and Dieter Grams, met on Myspace when both were teenagers and started their label in Atlanta in 2012. They gravitated toward designs that run dark. The brand once staged a fashion show in a funeral home, saying its clothes were designed for a post-apocalyptic world. They make Nikes dipped in concrete, jackets with two hoods and a pair of $1,000 “double-edge” jeans that look like two pairs of pants sewn together at the waists and ankles.

The company once ran a tagline on its site reading, “Bstroy is protected by pointed violence, psychological warfare and Art. All opposition should be organized at the risk of those endangered,” according to the Internet Archive. The brand has sold T-shirts prominently featuring firearms, including preppy crew necks with fencing teams and archers armed with assault rifles instead of foils and bows.

“We are making violent statements,” Grams, who publicly goes by Du, told the New York Times in a feature last week. “That’s for you to know who we are, so we can have a voice in the market. But eventually that voice will say things that everyone can wear.”

Bstroy isn’t the first clothing company to catch heat for potentially profiting from school shootings. In 2014, Urban Outfitters was pilloried online for selling a faded Kent State University sweatshirt that appeared to be splattered with blood. Many observers thought the sweatshirt referenced the Ohio National Guard shooting and killing four students and injuring nine others there during a campus protest in 1970.

Bstroy did not immediately respond to a message late Tuesday, but on Instagram, the company suggested the clothing line, called Samsara, was meant to be ironic.

“Sometimes life can be painfully ironic,” reads a card that features an artist’s statement on the show. “Like the irony of dying violently in a place you considered to be a safe, controlled environment, like school. We are reminded all the time of life’s fragility, shortness, and unpredictability, yet we are also reminded of its infinite potential.”

Owens elaborated on his thinking in an email sent to the “Today” show.

“We wanted to make a comment on gun violence and the type of gun violence that needs preventative attention and what its origins are, while also empowering the survivors of tragedy through storytelling in the clothes,” the designer wrote.

He also suggested that the harsh response to the sweatshirts was rooted in prejudice, because both he and Grams are black men in their late 20s.

“Also built into the device is the fact that our image as young, black males has not been traditionally awarded credit for introducing avant-garde ideas,” Owens wrote. “So many people have assumed our message to be lazy just because of what they’ve been taught about black men. These hoodies were made with all of these intentions in mind, and to explore all of these societal issues.”

Although the company’s early statements indicated that the sweatshirts were created as an art piece for the show and weren’t meant to be sold, Bstroy now says it is considering putting them up for sale.

“The hoodies have only been shown not sold and the school shooting hoodies were initially intended to be just for the show and not to sell but that may change now,” the company told the Cut.

Critics suggested that making money off the line would be an insult to survivors.

“So offensive!!” tweeted Christine Pelosi, a Democratic National Committee official and the daughter of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), in response to Guttenberg’s post. “Revolted to see bstroy monetize your pain.”

fraurosena

Confronting. And although this tweet recommends not watching because of potentially distressing content, I think every ammosexual should be made watch it, regardless. Because this is reality. And if you don't like that reality, tough. Because it's the reality all school kids have to live with in America. Completely and utterly unnecessarily.

AnywhereButHere

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/colt-will-stop-making-ar-15s-for-civilian-sale-says-theres-already-plenty-on-market/ar-AAHxUBw?ocid=ientp

Colt will suspend production of AR-15 rifles for civilian sales, saying there's an "adequate supply" of the high-powered weapons already in the market, the famed gun manufacturer said Thursday.

The gun-maker, based out of West Hartford, Connecticut, said its decision is purely market-driven and made no mention of any public pressure over the AR-15's use in several mass shootings in the United States.

"The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity," Colt President and CEO Dennis Veilleux said in a statement.

"Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future."

Veilleux said his company will continue to make and sell AR-15s for "our warfighters and law enforcement personnel" who "continue to demand Colt rifles and we are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts."

Curbing access to the AR-15 has become a primary focus of gun control advocates and Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke definitively said last week he wants those weapons out of circulation.

"Hell yes, we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47," the former congressman from Texas said at Thursday night's Democratic primary debate. O'Rourke represented El Paso, where a gunman used a AK-47 to kill 22 people in August.

Colt's website still listed several AR-15 rifles on its sale page — but they were all listed as "out of stock."

The company insists it's a "stout supporter of the Second Amendment" despite this move.

I'm happy to see this. I hope their stance holds and provides a supportive base for other companies to follow. I don't know how long it will last though. Hopefully they feel they're solvent enough to resist pressure from the NRA.

The bolded part just enrages me. What exactly about these things is SPORTING? Why are they being marketed as sporting and then in the same breath referred to as sold for military purposes? Do these people think we inhabit the plot of The Most Dangerous Game?

Meh
WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

I watched the Sandy Hook Promise PSA on You Tube after I saw a clip of it on the NBC Nightly News. I went ahead and also watched a PSA they released last year. It's just as thought provoking (although in a different way) as the one @fraurosena posted above, and just as upsetting, so trigger warning.

Spoiler

FilleMondaine

I am so glad to see this get traction on FJ. The video was good. So very good. And emotionally devastating. It is a very correct video, and every adult should ovum-up and watch it because this is exactly what our children are experiencing. If we cannot watch it, then how can we morally allow our children to live it? So watch it and share it. There is a definite trigger warning. So prepare yourself and watch it. Then share it. And shame anyone who watches it while still supporting the GOP.

It was a weird feeling hearing about the Dayton shooting. I was an instructor at Sinclair, where the shooter attended classes. As a Tucson native, I remember telling my Sinclair colleagues how important it was to identify and support problematic students because Gabby Gifford's 2011 shooter was a troubled student at Pima Community college. You know what? My Sinclair colleagues laughed at me. Years later, they find themselves in the same position. We should see the signs and say something. Hopefully--hopefully--the troubled person will get help. Our kids (elementary through college) deserve for their grownups to step up.

So while I wish the Promise video said, "by the way, vote away the GOP", I understand that the GOP is so complicit, and the Promise video implies, "we are on our own, so here is what you really need to know".

Ozlsn
On 9/20/2019 at 7:38 AM, AnywhereButHere said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/colt-will-stop-making-ar-15s-for-civilian-sale-says-theres-already-plenty-on-market/ar-AAHxUBw?ocid=ientp

I'm happy to see this. I hope their stance holds and provides a supportive base for other companies to follow. I don't know how long it will last though. Hopefully they feel they're solvent enough to resist pressure from the NRA.

The bolded part just enrages me. What exactly about these things is SPORTING? Why are they being marketed as sporting and then in the same breath referred to as sold for military purposes? Do these people think we inhabit the plot of The Most Dangerous Game?

I'm wondering if the manufacturers are starting to get leery of potential class actions relating to death and injury caused by their product.

Enraged
47of74

Some good news out of Washington State

A 91-year-old man suffering from dementia had more than dozen guns removed from his West Seattle home after making threats to others, Seattle Police said.

Family members of the man called police a month ago expressing concern when the man began threatening to shoot anyone who came to his home. Family members knew the man had several guns inside the home.

Investigators were able to petition the King County Superior Court for an "Extreme Risk Protection Order" to have the guns removed, and the order was granted, police said

They took 18 firearms out of the guy’s home. 

Awaiting the Branch Trumpvidian freakout because cops took guns away from a guy with dementia. 

Enraged
47of74

Enjoy prison asshole

A Little Rock man has been convicted of possession of a machine gun after the mother of his children accused him of shooting at her, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Arkansas reported Wednesday.

A federal jury convicted Brian Barron, 38, after a two-day trial that ended Tuesday.

A woman told police in October 2017 that Barron had shot at her and struck her in the head with a machine gun, the U.S. attorney's office said in a news release. Investigators reportedly searched Barron's vehicle and found a stolen Bushmaster rifle wrapped in a garbage bag with a loaded 100-round drum of ammunition. They also found a Mac 10 machine piston with multiple extended magazines.

Barron was also convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm, possession of heroin with intent to distribute, possession of 5 grams or more of methamphetamine with intent to distribute, and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.

Enraged
47of74

Because there aren’t enough strap ons out floating around.

A South Carolina Ford dealership launched a "God, Guns and America" promotion in an attempt to boost sales and business. For the months of October and November, Carolina Ford in Honea Path, South Carolina will be celebrating the patriotic mantra.

Upon making a purchase, every customer will be gifted a free Bible, American flag and a $400 voucher for a Smith & Wesson AR-15-style rifle. If the consumer chooses not to accept the voucher to purchase a gun, the amount of money will be deducted from the price of their new vehicle.

Enraged
47of74

Another asshole who I hope enjoys prison

A white Florida man who told detectives he had a “pet peeve” about illegal parking in handicapped spots was sentenced on Thursday to 20 years in prison for the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man outside a convenience store.

Circuit Judge Joseph Bulone called 49-year-old Michael Drejka a "wanna-be" law enforcement officer and a self-appointed "handicapped parking space monitor."

Jurors found Drejka guilty of manslaughter in August after deliberating for six hours.

During deliberations, jurors sent out a note saying they were confused by the state’s self-defense law. Circuit Judge Bulone told them all he could do is reread it for them.

Waffle Time
smittykins

Totally should’ve been murder, in my not-so-humble-opinion.

GreyhoundFan

WTAF? "The NRA Foundation is raising money by auctioning off guns in schools — to the dismay of some parents"

Spoiler

GREENVILLE, Ky. — Parents and students trickled into the Muhlenberg County High School gym on a hot Saturday night as the sounds of cheers and a referee’s whistle carried from an athletic field nearby. Inside the “Home of the Mustangs,” Friends of NRA was raffling off guns: semiautomatic rifles and handguns, guns with high-capacity magazines and pump-action shotguns.

In the past two years, the NRA Foundation’s fundraising program had displayed actual guns along the wooden bleachers in the gym. This time organizers showed only pictures, bowing to objections from parents who pointed to a shooting at another western Kentucky high school last year that left two students dead and more than a dozen wounded.

“It’s obscene that they have had guns inside our gym,” said Shannon Myers, whose 16-year-old son attends band practice next to the gym where the event was held in September. “The more I looked into it, the more I realized they are having these events all over the place. Not just here in our little town, but in little towns all over the country.”

Pockets of resistance to Friends of NRA events are cropping up across the country as mass shootings become more frequent and more deadly. Although National Rifle Association officials say only a small fraction of those events are held in schools, opponents have pressured other venues to stop hosting the fundraisers. The events netted more than $33 million last year.

hat money is the leading source of cash for the NRA Foundation, a charity that supports the shooting sports. The events combine the efforts of what organizers say are 13,000 volunteers with the NRA’s multimillion-dollar marketing machine. They are family-focused by design, helping to cultivate the next generation of gun owners and NRA members.

In a 2013 video posted to the Kentucky chapter’s Facebook page, a narrator calls the group “the NRA’s best-kept secret” and says: “Every year the NRA fights for our Second Amendment rights. But what is being done to ensure the firearm traditions we love today don’t become a thing of the past? The answer . . . Friends of NRA.”

Friends of NRA boasts that its events feature the “latest and greatest” guns thanks to “amazing relationships with all the top firearms manufacturers,” according to the video. “You never know who may show up that night — even Wayne LaPierre may come walking through the doors to greet attendees,” the narrator says, referring to the chief executive of the NRA.

A 2014 video on the Friends of NRA’s YouTube channel features the tag “FUTURE GENERATIONS” and a girl wearing braces and holding a rifle. “If it wasn’t for the NRA, we wouldn’t be able to do it,” she says. 

The foundation gives half the money it raises to shooting and archery teams, 4-H clubs, Scouting troops and other youth groups, the NRA says. It uses the other half for national firearms educational programs.

For years, Friends of NRA drew mostly positive publicity from local newspapers and TV stations. Coverage tended to promote upcoming fundraisers or the ceremonial presentation of checks to groups of Scouts or young trap shooters.

Then on Feb. 14, 2018, at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., 14 students and three staff members were killed by a gunman. Several teenage survivors from the heavily Democratic community quickly became nationally recognized advocates for gun control, headlining rallies and gaining large followings on social media.

The deadly shooting three weeks earlier at Marshall County High School in Benton, Ky. — 80 miles from Muhlenberg County — drew far less media attention. But it galvanized a vocal minority in the conservative-leaning community.

At nearby Murray State University, about 100 people protested later that year when Oliver North, then the incoming NRA president, appeared at a Republican Party fundraiser. “Shame!” they shouted at those entering the auditorium, according to newspaper accounts. North received a standing ovation from an audience estimated at 300 people. 

Among those at the protest was Heather Adams, whose son survived the shooting in Benton and is now a junior at Marshall County High. People often ask her about the shooting, she said.

“People ask, ‘Were you surprised?’ No, I was waiting for it,” the gun-control activist told The Washington Post in a telephone interview. “I live in the middle of gun country.”

Opposition to Friends of NRA has emerged in areas scarred by mass shootings and neighborhoods that have long favored gun control. The group’s events in New York have drawn protests, and a handful of school districts from Florida to New Mexico have spurned the money raised by the group. Protests led a banquet hall in Connecticut to end its long tradition of hosting annual Friends of NRA fundraisers. 

In this conservative corner of Kentucky coal country, Gwen Clements, whose granddaughter participates in Army Junior ROTC at Muhlenberg County High School, said she remained upset about the Sept. 14 Friends of NRA fundraiser even though weapons were kept out of the gym this year. “They are selling guns on school property. Where we have active-shooter drills.” 

NRA officials say support for the organization remains strong and opposition to its events isolated. Most Friends of NRA fundraisers are held at banquet halls, fairgrounds and civic clubs.

“Only a small fraction of Friends of NRA events take place at schools, and such activities are conducted with the input, support and coordination of local officials,” said NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam. “These events are used to support the philanthropic efforts of the NRA Foundation and promote shooting sports and gun safety at the grass-roots level.”

Kentucky law makes it a felony to bring firearms on school property, but school boards are permitted to grant exceptions for “gun and knife shows,” as was the case in Muhlenberg County. State Sen. C.B. Embry Jr., a Republican who said he has attended Friends of NRA events at the high school for years, called the display of pictures of guns this year “a concession.”

“It was kind of silly,” he said as he left the event. “None of the weapons would have been loaded.”

On the evening of the Kentucky fundraiser, another Friends of NRA chapter was holding a fundraising event — this one featuring real guns — at Kiamichi Technology Center, a vocational-technical campus in Idabel, Okla.

The school has hosted the event for 20 years without any apparent controversy, according to attendees and organizers. But when contacted by The Post, school officials said Friends of NRA had not obtained the required permission to display actual firearms. 

“We are reviewing our facility rental policies and reeducating administrators and staff to ensure our policies are followed in the future,” Doug Hall, the deputy superintendent, said in an email.

Friends of NRA says it held about 1,100 events last year and has raised $815 million for the foundation since it began in 1992. 

In the past three years, as NRA spending outpaced revenue, millions of dollars flowed from the foundation to the NRA, audits show. The NRA received grants from the foundation for educational programs totaling $13.5 million in 2018 and $18.8 in 2017. The NRA also has been borrowing and paying off a series of $5 million loans from the foundation. The two entities share employees, office space and other resources, and the NRA nearly tripled the amount it sought in reimbursements from the foundation between 2017 and 2018, to $17.4 million, Bloomberg first reported. The NRA has said the increases reflect the foundation’s growing need for professional staff and resources.

“The NRA has been increasingly reliant on cash from the foundation,” said Brian Mittendorf, an accounting professor at Ohio State University’s business school, who reviewed NRA audits and tax filings for The Post.

In recent months, amid public scrutiny of NRA spending, the Democratic attorneys general in New York and Washington, D.C., began investigations into whether the organization is complying with its tax-exempt status. La­Pierre has been fending off accusations of lavish spending on clothing, travel and legal fees, as well as calls for his resignation. Representatives for LaPierre and several board members have denied wrongdoing.

In Washington state, the NRA Foundation is seeking to increase the total value of prizes at Friends of NRA events next year to $500,000, surpassing the state’s annual limit of $300,000. The Washington State Gambling Commission in August postponed a decision on that request to give its staff time to review the foundation’s spending.

“We don’t want to allow the NRA Foundation, or any other entity, to fundraise in the state of Washington unless we can be assured that the funds are being used exclusively for legal purposes,” Commissioner Julia Patterson said in an email, referring to concerns raised by the investigations in New York and the District.

NRA officials said they follow standard accounting practices and that the financial statements are audited every year. They said the foundation has awarded nearly $400 million to school teams, Scouting troops and law enforcement groups since 1990.

NRA money flowed to board members tasked with financial oversight of the nonprofit.

Friends of NRA held fundraisers at Muhlenberg County High School uneventfully in 2017 and 2018. But Myers circulated a flier about this year’s event among a group of like-minded parents. The debate heated up on Facebook, where Friends of NRA had posted photos of previous events, with semiautomatic rifles and Glock pistols lining the gym’s bleachers. According to a note on the Facebook page, comments had to be removed “due to them becoming off-topic and personal attacks. Please ensure any comments are relevant, courteous, and without profanity.”

In the end, the parents opposed to having guns in the school got their way. Carla Embry, spokeswoman for the Muhlenberg County schools, said the high school principal “chose to use more discretion this year by not allowing firearms at the banquet for the purpose of raffling.”

The decision provided little comfort to Secret Holt, whose 15-year-old daughter was one of the two students fatally shot at the high school in nearby Marshall County. The suspect is a fellow student who authorities said had taken his step­father’s pistol. 

“What if a gun they raffled off at the school ended up in the hands of one of their students and they committed a terrible act like what happened at Marshall?” she said after being contacted by The Post about the event. “I have hunters in my family and the Second Amendment is their right, but these fundraisers shouldn’t be in schools. It’s kind of a slap in the face.”

That same night, in the southeast corner of Oklahoma, more than 200 people packed the cafeteria of the Kiamichi Technology Center for the annual Friends of NRA banquet. They sat at long tables covered with NRA-labeled plastic tablecloths, surrounded by displays of handguns, rifles, knives and NRA memorabilia.

Darren DeLong, an NRA field representative, served as emcee for the evening. He raffled off dozens of firearms, including a rifle he called “the greatest redneck gun of all time,” and later an AR 9mm pistol.

“I don’t know if you watched the debate,” DeLong said, apparently referring to a Democratic presidential debate earlier that week, “but that’s the one they want to take from you. So if you don’t have one, you better get you one.”

Attendees, including about 20 young children, whistled and cheered. Everyone who bought a $20 admission ticket was automatically entered into a drawing for an FN semiautomatic pistol. (A freelance writer for The Post attended the event and won a pistol but did not accept it.)

A live auction later in the evening included a Colt handgun engraved with the signature of Oliver North, who was ousted in April as NRA president. 

Keith Compton, who has helped organize the banquet for the past 20 years, chafed when asked about gun raffles in schools.

“If you pick up one of these guns and shoot someone with it, it’s not the gun’s fault, is it? You pulled the trigger,” he said. “Everybody wants to blame the ARs. Anyone can cause just as much problems with a knife.”

The AR-15 is the military-style rifle that has been used in a number of mass shootings, including the one in Parkland.

More than two dozen children attended the event, from toddlers bouncing on their parents’ laps to students from nearby Broken Bow High School. In an interview, Principal Luke Hanks said far more students are able to participate in shooting sports because of Friends of NRA fundraisers.

“They’re just raised in hunting and fishing, and some of them don’t fit into other sports,” he said. “This gives them a niche.”

But in some communities, the NRA grants have become unwanted.

After the shooting in Florida, the Broward County school district returned two NRA grants totaling about $5,000 for the JROTC program in two other schools, officials said. The alleged gunman had been a cadet in the program at Stoneman Douglas. 

Other public school districts — in Denver; Santa Fe, N.M.; and Stroudsburg, Pa. — followed suit in the spring.

“I don’t think we have any business, and it’s against my moral conscience for any schools to be taking money from the NRA,” said Santa Fe school board member Steven Carrillo, who has long backed restrictions on gun sales.

Hundreds of schools continue to accept the money, citing the need to supplement limited budgets. “Our support is generally welcomed,” said Arulanandam, the NRA spokesman.

In 2017, about 123 individual schools, school districts or school clubs accepted nearly $1.4 million in NRA Foundation cash grants and equipment, according to a Post analysis of tax filings. That’s about 5 percent of the $30 million the foundation gave out in grants that year.

In 2016, two years before the deadly attack in Marshall County, the school system there received about $5,300 in equipment for shooting programs. Schools Superintendent Trent Lovett said he would accept the money again. “If it was to help one of my teams, absolutely,” he said. “The NRA had absolutely nothing to do with the shooting of our students.”

Lovett said that if asked, he would not permit Friends of NRA to host an event at one of his schools. “After what happened to us, they would probably hang me at the courthouse,” he said.

Nonschool events hosted by Friends of NRA are drawing protests, too.

For more than two decades, volunteers held an annual fundraiser at the Aqua Turf Club in Southington, Conn., about 30 miles from Newtown, where 20 schoolchildren and six adults were shot and killed in 2012. The 2015 banquet drew 1,200 people and was billed in a video posted on YouTube by an attendee as “the Biggest Friends of NRA Dinner in America.” 

A backlash ensued last year, after the event coincided with the eve of a “March for Our Lives” gun control rally in the District. The club told local media it would no longer host Friends of NRA.

In September, a rally outside a Friends of NRA fundraiser at a Long Island hotel was headlined by  Linda Beigel Schulman, whose son, a geography teacher, was among those killed in Parkland. State Sen. Jim Gaughran, a Democrat who had urged the hotel not to host the event, i s proposing a bill that would ban gun raffles.

And in Brooklyn, the Grand Prospect Hall was the second venue pressured to back out of its contract to host a Friends of NRA fundraiser last year.

“They’re family people, they’re businesses, they’re hunters,” Michael Halkias, who owns the hall, said of Friends of NRA. But after a barrage of angry phone calls, he decided, “It’s not worth it to have so many people upset.”

fraurosena

Good news for the Sandy Hook parents, and by default, possibly many more families of gun violence victims.

Supreme Court allows Sandy Hook families to sue Remington

The Supreme Court won't stop a lawsuit brought by Sandy Hook victims' families against Remington Arms Co., the manufacturer of the semi-automatic rifle that was used in the 2012 mass shooting at an elementary school.

The Court decided not to take up an appeal by Remington. That marks a blow to the gun industry: Depending on the outcome of the case, it could open the door to gun violence victims' families suing gun manufacturers for damages.

The Sandy Hook victims' families are "grateful" for the Supreme Court's decision, attorneys for the families said in a statement. They called Remington's appeal the company's "latest attempt to avoid accountability."

A spokesman from Remington could not immediately be reached for comment.

A 2005 federal law protects many gun manufacturers from wrongful death lawsuits brought by family members. But families of victims of the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, are pushing a different approach.

A survivor and families of nine other victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting are attempting to hold Remington Arms Company, the manufacturer of the semi-automatic rifle that was used in the crime, partly responsible by targeting the company's marketing strategy.

Lawyers for the victims sued Remington contending that the company marketed rifles by extolling the militaristic qualities of the rifle and reinforcing the image of a combat weapon -- in violation of a Connecticut law that prevents deceptive marketing practices.

The rifle was "designed as a military weapon" and "engineered to deliver maximum carnage" with extreme efficiency, they argue in legal briefs.

The attorneys said Tuesday they are ready to resume discovery and proceed towards trial "to shed light on Remington's profit-driven strategy" to expand the market for high-powered, semi-automatic guns and "court high-risk users at the expense of Americans' safety."

Remington is a private company, but shares of competitor Sturm Ruger & Co. (RGR) fell less than 1%, and American Outdoor Brands (AOBC), maker of Smith & Wesson guns, fell by 1.2%.

The consumer market for rifles has fallen precipitously in recent years. Colt, the manufacturer of the AR-15 rifle, has announced it's exiting the consumer rifle market. A similar gun was used in the Sandy Hook shooting.

GreyhoundFan

I just didn't have the strength to post or comment on the school shooting this week. Then today, I went to the WaPo and saw this: "NRA chief Wayne LaPierre received a 57 percent pay raise in 2018, tax filings show"

Spoiler

National Rifle Association chief executive Wayne LaPierre, who pushed past scattered calls for his resignation earlier this year amid allegations of misspending, received a 57 percent pay raise in 2018 that boosted his overall compensation to $2.15 million, according to the nonprofit group’s latest tax filings.

LaPierre received a base salary of $1.3 million, plus a bonus of $455,000 and “other reportable compensation” of more than $427,000, the filings show. La­Pierre also received an additional $73,793 in “retirement and other deferred compensation” and “nontaxable benefits” from the NRA and related entities, according to the filings, which the NRA provided to The Washington Post on Friday.

LaPierre’s pay increase comes at a time when the gun group has been under pressure to explain large payments to top executives, even as it has cut spending on firearms training and political activities and frozen pension benefits for employees.

Revelations that LaPierre spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on luxury menswear and travel, and that the NRA considered buying him a multimillion-dollar estate, has led to months of internal warfare. NRA officials have staunchly defended their stewardship of NRA funds as the Democratic attorneys general of Washington and New York investigate the tax-exempt group’s spending.

“Wayne LaPierre’s compensation reflects his enormous contributions to our members and the freedoms for which they fight,” NRA President Carolyn Meadows said in a statement. “His contributions to the NRA have been transformative.”

Oliver North, who was ousted as NRA president in April after accusing LaPierre of overspending on legal fees, received $1.38 million from the group’s former public relations agency, Ackerman McQueen, according to the tax filings. That payment is just one part of a sprawling and bitter legal battle between the NRA and Ackerman McQueen, which was paid $38.3 million in 2018, more than any other independent contractor.

The NRA also reported paying $13.8 million in 2018 to the law firm of William Brewer III, who has become one of LaPierre’s most trusted advisers. North had claimed that Brewer had received millions more over a longer period that ended in April 2019, when the NRA broke with North and Ackerman McQueen.

NRA officials said in a statement that Brewer’s firm represents the organization on a variety of matters and that the relationship has been carefully reviewed.

North’s attorney did not respond to a request for comment.

Last year, LaPierre and his wife, Susan, were interested in a 10,000-square-foot estate with lakefront and golf course views in Westlake, Tex., on the market for about $6 million, according to emails and text messages previously described to The Post. According to the tax filings, a company called WBB Investments was “formed in connection with a possible transaction that was never ultimately executed.”

The company was linked to the aborted real estate deal, according to two people with knowledge of the proposed transaction who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about it.

The Post has reported that 18 members of the unpaid, 76-member NRA board have collected money from the group during the past three years, according to tax filings, state charitable reports and NRA correspondence reviewed by The Post.

The new tax filing shows that the NRA paid another former board member, actor Tom Selleck, $476,000 last year for “collectible firearms.” Selleck’s attorney told the Wall Street Journal, which reported the payment several days ago, that the arrangement was approved by the board and that the actor made little or no profit from it.

Crow Shooting Supply, a firearms business controlled by past NRA president Pete Brownell, received $3.2 million from the NRA Foundation, the group’s charitable arm. NRA officials and Brownell have said the group began purchasing supplies from Crow before Brownell took over the company in 2011. Brownell is among more than a half-dozen NRA board members who have stepped down since May.

The NRA ended the year with a $2.7 million shortfall in 2018, compared with a $17.8 million shortfall the previous year and an even bigger hole of $45.8 million in 2016.

“The NRA’s financials are strong and trending in the right direction,” said Andrew Arulanandam, an NRA spokesman.

Spending by the political arm of the NRA dropped from $47.1 million in 2014 to $32.51 million in 2018, the filings show. That was the midterm election in which Democrats took over the House and gun-control groups outspent the gun lobby for the first time.

I'm disappointed about Tom Selleck, I didn't realize he was in bed with t he NRA.

GreyhoundFan

Here in Virginia, a new Democratic majority will be taking effect in the legislature in January. Butthurt gun maniacs, egged on by the NRA, are already having a hissy fit because one of the first things being taken up are some common sense gun regulations. "In Virginia, and elsewhere, gun supporters prepare to defy new laws"

Spoiler

AMELIA COURTHOUSE, Va. — Families, church groups, hunt clubs and neighbors began arriving two hours early, with hundreds spilling out of the little courthouse and down the hill to the street in the chilly night air.

They were here to demand that the Board of Supervisors declare Amelia County a “Second Amendment sanctuary” where officials will refuse to enforce any new restrictions on gun ownership.

A resistance movement is boiling up in Virginia, where Democrats rode a platform on gun control to historic victories in state elections earlier this month. The uprising is fueled by a deep cultural gulf between rural red areas that had long wielded power in Virginia and the urban and suburban communities that now dominate. Guns are the focus. Behind that, there is a sense that a way of life is being cast aside.

In the past two weeks, county governments from the central Piedmont to the Appalachian Southwest — Charlotte, Campbell, Carroll, Appomattox, Patrick, Dinwiddie, Pittsylvania, Lee and Giles — have approved resolutions that defy Richmond to come take their guns.

It mirrors a trend that began last year in western parts of the United States, where some law enforcement officials vowed to go to jail rather than enforce firearm restrictions, and has spread eastward. In New Mexico, 25 of 33 counties declared themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries after the state expanded background checks. In Illinois, nearly two-thirds of its counties have done the same.

“My oath of office is to uphold the Constitution of the United States,” Amelia Sheriff Ricky L. Walker said Wednesday night as he waited for the supervisors to meet in this rural county west of Richmond.

If a judge ordered him to seize someone’s guns under a law he viewed as unconstitutional, Walker said, he wouldn’t do it. “That’s what I hang my hat on,” he said.

Some of the unrest is fanned by gun rights groups, such as the National Rifle Association and the Virginia Citizens Defense League, which have used social media and old-fashioned networking to offer boilerplate language for resolutions. But the movement is speaking to the anxieties of many who are unsettled by a state that has shifted from red to blue with shocking speed.

All of the top leaders in the new Democratic-controlled legislature hail from urban or suburban districts in Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads and Richmond. The liberal suburbs outside Washington have the largest delegation in the legislature. And the status of lawmakers from rural red parts of the state has never been lower.

“We need to send a signal to Richmond about Northern Virginia. We don’t want their influence to affect us down here. We’re very different people,” said Clay Scott, a 25-year-old construction project manager whose family has lived in Amelia for generations.

Democrats won control in the elections on the strength of suburban districts where gun violence was a central issue, amplified by a May 31 mass shooting at a Virginia Beach municipal building that left 12 people dead.

When the General Assembly convenes in January, Gov. Ralph Northam (D) has promised to move quickly with Democratic leaders to pass measures such as universal background checks, limits on the types and numbers of firearms that can be purchased and a “red flag” law allowing authorities to seize weapons from someone deemed a threat.

The proposals “were essentially on the ballot in November,” said Brian Moran, Northam’s secretary of public safety. “And the people have spoken through their votes.”

'Gun owners are awake'

The resolutions rocketing around the Virginia countryside all have similar language. Philip Van Cleave of the Virginia Citizens Defense League said he drafted one for Amelia to consider, along with about 30 other counties — out of 95 total — also taking it up. The matter was added to the Amelia agenda too late for it to be advertised so, by law, the board cannot vote on it until next month. Yet, a crowd of 300 or more turned out after hearing about it through word of mouth.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” Van Cleave said of the outpouring of interest. “Everything has exploded right now. Gun owners are awake.”

A similar resolution that passed Monday in Appomattox County pledged to oppose any efforts to “unconstitutionally restrict” the right to bear arms. It said the county would do this “through legal action, the power of the appropriation of public funds, and the right to petition for redress of grievances, and the direction to the law enforcement and judiciary of Appomattox County to not enforce any unconstitutional law.”

The concept is modeled after the “sanctuary city” stance that some localities have taken in response to federal immigration enforcement efforts. In those cases, local law enforcement officials decline to take voluntary steps to help the federal government detain or deport undocumented immigrants.

In theory, a Second Amendment sanctuary would be different. Refusing to carry out a judge’s order to seize weapons from someone would be breaking the law. That could mean jail time. Local agencies receive funding from the state, so even adopting the stance is provocative.

“The notion that law enforcement would not follow the law is appalling,” said Lori Haas, a longtime activist with the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. “I suspect that many of these counties and their elected officials are posturing in front of certain voters.”

As the sanctuary movement has spread around the country, Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence found that it generally has not led to active resistance. “As a practical matter, these are largely symbolic,” said Adam Skaggs, chief counsel and policy director at Giffords. “We haven’t seen cases where there are folks that are outright defying the law.”

Skaggs said the trend means that authorities in such states as Washington, Oregon, Colorado and New Mexico might be neglecting to use legal tools that could help prevent gun violence and suicide. “While this is largely a political or symbolic gesture, I still think it’s quite troubling,” he said.

At Amelia on Wednesday night, Del. John J. McGuire III (R-Henrico) took the opportunity to show up and announce that he is seeking next year’s GOP nomination to challenge U.S. Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-Va.).

“I don’t understand what part of ‘shall not infringe’ they don’t understand,” he proclaimed on the courthouse steps as a darkness settled on the throngs who couldn’t get in. “I’ll fight my ass off for you.”

McGuire just won a second term in the House of Delegates in a nearby rural district. But he’ll be in the minority now, with Democrats posting a 55-to-45 advantage in the House and a 21-to-19 edge in the Senate.

Moran, the public safety secretary, didn’t attend the Amelia meeting but has been monitoring the phenomenon. He held town halls on gun control around the state over the summer, discussing solutions ahead of a special legislative session that Northam called in July to take up gun-control bills. Republicans adjourned that session after only 90 minutes, enraging Democrats and handing them a campaign issue in the fall.

“All of his proposals have been vetted in the courts,” Moran said. “The courts have determined that they do not violate the Second Amendment. We feel confident that law-abiding citizens should not be concerned that their rights will be violated.”

But to many residents in Amelia, any kind of gun restriction feels personal. They’ve heard that some proposals would prevent kids under 18 from owning guns and say people who would ban assault weapons don’t understand what they are.

Tony Easter, 60, said he learned about the proposed sanctuary resolution last week and spent four days driving to hunt clubs and friends’ houses around the county to drum up support. “My jaws are hurting from trying to explain this to people,” he said.

Easter grew up hunting in Amelia and has worked as a hunting and fishing guide. He’s active with the NRA and raised his daughters and son “in the woods,” he said.

“I live out here in the country; I’m a rural citizen,” Easter said. “We don’t agree with how Fairfax and Newport News and now even Chesterfield have dominated the state.”

He realizes, he said, that people in those places see guns differently — and that he doesn’t understand their circumstances any more than they understand his. But solving their problems shouldn’t mean changing his way of life, he said.

“What goes on in Fairfax can stay in Fairfax,” Easter said. “We just want to live our life the way we have been raised to live.”

Again and again at Wednesday night’s hearing, residents rose to speak about their first shotgun, about the hours spent stalking game with a father or grandfather.

Hannah Davis said she grew up hunting with her dad and eating what they killed. “The only reason I’m standing here today is because I was fed by wildlife,” she said.

Others said they feel safer in Amelia than in the city, specifically because so many people carry guns and know how to use them. And some warned of the need for protection in case of a government that goes too far.

“I am a proud descendant of a Revolutionary soldier that fought four and a half years to free our land,” said Troy Carter. “Our forefathers bled on this very ground in Virginia for this very reason. The Second Amendment is ours. Our forefathers fought for it. I’m sending this message to Ralph Northam because Virginia is here, and we are awake.”

Only one person out of the dozens who spoke expressed a different point of view. Allison Crews, 44, rose initially to thank residents for electing her to the Piedmont Soil & Water Conservation District, but then mentioned that she is a member of Moms Demand Action and believes in “sensible gun legislation.”

She drew light, polite applause. Afterward, Crews said she grew up in a family of hunters and thinks the urge to block all gun restrictions is misguided. “You can lead with fear or lead with love,” she said. “For me, love always wins.”

The main thing that impressed her about the public hearing, she said, was the number of people who showed up — far beyond anything she had seen in years of attending county meetings.

“I wish we’d see those crowds for things like water quality in the town, or the school system,” she said.

Amelia’s supervisors will vote on a resolution Dec. 18. The meeting has already been moved to the high school auditorium in anticipation of a big turnout.

You know what irks me to no end? "“What goes on in Fairfax can stay in Fairfax,” " and "“We don’t agree with how Fairfax and Newport News and now even Chesterfield have dominated the state.”" Um, then stop taking the hugely outsized amount of money Fairfax pays the state that goes for your roads and other state-provided services you would not receive if you only got back what you paid in.

Enraged
47of74

Good news out of San Diego

A Spring Valley man who posted graphic videos online of himself pointing assault rifles at unknowing pedestrians from a room in the Sofia Hotel in Downtown San Diego is now in police custody on felony weapons charges.

Steve Andrew Homoki, 30, was booked into jail on Dec 5, hours after San Diego Police Department investigators seized 14 registered firearms, including two assault rifles, from his Spring Valley home.

His arrest came after an unknown person contacted federal agents on Nov. 30, stating Homoki had “gone off the deep end” and warned law enforcement that if confronted “he will open fire on federal agents or police.”

The tipster also said that Homoki had told them that he had “a plan” in place in case any warrants or police involvement occurred.

It's good they got this sick fuck and his guns off the streets.  Hopefully this case ends with him not being able to own guns ever again. 

GreyhoundFan

RWNJs from inside and outside the state are terrified that the new Dem majority in the Virginia legislature is going to enact sensible gun control laws: "Prospect of gun control in Virginia draws threats, promise of armed protest"

Spoiler

RICHMOND — Gun rights advocates and militia members from around the country are urging thousands of armed protesters to descend on Virginia's capital later this month to stop newly empowered Democrats from passing gun-control bills.

What began as a handful of rural Virginia counties declaring themselves “Second Amendment sanctuaries” has jumped the state’s borders and become an Internet phenomenon. Far-right websites and commenters are declaring that Virginia is the place to take a stand against what they see as a national trend of weakening gun rights.

Unlike blue bastions such as California and New York, Virginia is a former Confederate state with strong rural traditions and lax gun laws. Guns represent the strongest, reddest line against the demographic changes that have seen Old Dominion voters usher in a new era of Democratic leadership in recent elections.

And so a Nevada-based group called the Oath Keepers said it’s sending training teams to help form posses and militia in Virginia. The leader of a Georgia militia called Three Percent Security Force has posted videos and calls to arms on Facebook, urging “patriots” to converge on Richmond. The right-wing YouTuber “American Joe Show” warned without evidence that Virginia will cut the power grid to stop the army of protesters — one of a host of false and exaggerated rumors spreading online.

Law enforcement and public safety officials say they are monitoring the situation, including several instances of threats toward Gov. Ralph Northam (D). Even some gun enthusiasts expressed concern about the potential for violence at a rally planned for the state Capitol on Jan. 20. State police briefed Northam for two hours last week, according to one state official, and the governor plans to lead an all-staff meeting this week to go over increased security procedures.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, the grass-roots organization planning the rally, said it has told the state to prepare for as many as 50,000 or even 100,000 people showing up.

Police do not dismiss those projections. But at least so far, they have not seen indications that turnout will be that high.

“Do we look at these numbers seriously? It certainly behooves us to prepare for all possibilities,” Capitol Police spokesman Joe Macenka said.

Lawmakers said they have been in regular contact with state, city and Capitol police, and VCDL president Philip Van Cleave said he is keeping lines of communication open so all sides are prepared.

“Hopefully it’ll not be another Charlottesville,” Van Cleave said, blaming police and state planning for the violence that erupted during 2017’s Unite the Right rally around a Confederate statue. Counterprotester Heather Heyer was killed when a white supremacist drove his car into a crowd of people.

Van Cleave has appealed to his supporters not to come bristling with intimidating long guns — including assault-style rifles such as the AR-15 — and politely suggested that militia members are welcome but do not need to provide security. Police will take care of that, he said, “not to mention enough citizens armed with handguns to take over a modern midsized country.”

That firepower is a concern for gun-control advocates, who also plan to turn out on Jan. 20 — Martin Luther King Jr. Day — for what is a traditional day of citizen lobbying at the state Capitol.

“There’s a dangerous intersection here of speech and guns, and what I think is critically important is that we don’t see the sort of armed intimidation and even violence that resulted . . . in Charlottesville,” said Adam Skaggs, chief counsel and policy director at Giffords Law Center.

Democratic lawmakers who now control both houses of the General Assembly are considering making rules changes to limit where guns can be carried when the legislature convenes on Wednesday.

Visitors are currently allowed to bring guns onto Capitol Square and — with a concealed-weapons permit — into the Capitol itself and the adjacent Pocahontas Building. Firearms are even permitted in the House gallery, though the Senate gallery is off- limits.

The possibility of having to enforce a ban at entrances to public spaces is another uncertainty facing Capitol Police.

“We’re in a wait-and-see mode,” Macenka said. “It is not our job to draft these kinds of regulations. We enforce the law and we will do this to the best of our ability.”

Democrats won their majorities in November elections, ending a 26-year period where Republicans were able to quash any proposed restrictions on guns. After 12 people were killed at a Virginia Beach municipal building by a gunman on May 31, Northam vowed to pass some form of gun control.

Northam called a special session of the legislature on July 9 to take up the issue, but Republican leaders adjourned after 90 minutes without debating any bills. Advocates on both sides of the gun debate took over Capitol Square that day, with one side toting guns and the other chanting protests or wearing red Moms Demand Action T-shirts.

Afterward, Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) issued an opinion that militia members presenting themselves as peacekeepers could be violating state law.

The Jan. 20 event could be on a far bigger scale. Van Cleave said his organization typically charters three buses to bring in scores of advocates for Lobby Day; this year, he has already chartered 23 buses and other groups have reserved 28 — and the number is climbing, he said.

Attention has been building since the Nov. 5 elections as the Second Amendment sanctuary movement has swept across the state. Beginning in rural counties, boards of supervisors — usually with hundreds of local residents looking on — have passed resolutions proclaiming that they would not enforce any unconstitutional effort to seize or restrict guns.

Tazewell County in Southwest Virginia went a step further, passing an ordinance that would enable it to raise a militia.

More than 110 Virginia counties, towns and cities have passed some type of sanctuary resolution in the past couple of months. The rapid spread was fanned by an escalation of rhetoric online.

“Virginia is the state that is testing this unlawful, unconstitutional, Second Amendment gun grab,” Chris Hill, founder of Three Percent Security Force, said in a YouTube video. “If this is where it begins, then this is where it will end.”

The Southern Poverty Law Center calls Hill’s organization an anti-government extremist group. In an interview Friday, Hill said that his militia is not a hate group and predicted any violence on the 20th would come from left-wing “antifa” activists or MS-13 gang members.

Among the wilder rumors spreading online is that United Nations “disarmament officers” have descended on Virginia. A photo of white U.N. trucks being transported on a flatbed, purportedly shot on I-81 near Lexington on Dec. 30, has been making the rounds.

“UN vehicles in Virginia to assist with shock-troop gun control!” read a tweet from someone called Catholic Charismatic. “Photo captured yesterday! Foreign troops! Retweet this vigorously.”

The post got 4,000 retweets even though the photo has been circulating online since at least 2016. The fact-checking website Snopes.com debunked a similar U.N.-takeover theory sparked by the photo that year, determining the vehicles had been manufactured in Virginia by Alpine Armoring and were being shipped overseas.

Early in December, Rep. A. Donald McEachin (D-Va.) responded to the Second Amendment sanctuary movement by suggesting in an interview that Northam might have to call out the National Guard to enforce gun laws.

Online, that turned into a false claim that Northam has actually called out the National Guard.

“Absolutely not,” Northam spokeswoman Alena Yarmosky said.

The commander of the Virginia National Guard, Maj. Gen. Timothy P. Williams, issued a statement that the organization had received “multiple questions” about its role in gun enforcement but that the governor had made no such requests. Nonetheless, Williams seemed to feed the frenzy when he included in his statement, “we will not speculate about the possible use of the Virginia National Guard.”

One white supremacist blogger wrote a widely disseminated post claiming that Northam planned to call out the Guard and cut power and Internet service to thwart gun supporters.

That led to a meme with a fabricated quote in which Northam is made to say, “if you still refuse to comply I’ll have you killed.”

Both Snopes.com and PolitiFact have debunked the claims, but the falsehoods have reverberated in efforts to summon gun supporters to Richmond. Some of the comments in social media or on the Reddit thread r/VAGuns have turned menacing.

The conspiracy theory site Natural News posted an angry tirade about Northam, accusing him of starting a new civil war and suggesting vigilantes would kill any officials who tried to take their guns.

An anti-Semitic website said Jewish Democrats were “gun-grabbers,” including former New York mayor Mike Bloomberg, the presidential candidate whose gun-control organization has poured millions into Virginia.

State officials declined to directly address the threats. “Our Administration is taking serious precautions to protect the safety of all visitors, policymakers, and staff during the upcoming General Assembly session,” Clark Mercer, Northam’s chief of staff, said via email. “This issue evokes strong feelings, but spreading lies, rumors, and misinformation is irresponsible and dangerous. All legislators and advocates have an obligation to tell the truth and not irresponsibly escalate emotions, regardless of what policy positions they hold on these issues.”

Northam is backing eight bills, the same package he submitted ahead of the aborted special session in July. Among them are measures to ban assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, bump stocks and silencers; require background checks on all firearms sales and transfers; cap handgun purchases at one per month; and create a “red flag law” to temporarily remove guns from people deemed a threat to themselves or others.

The proposed assault-weapons ban has been one of the most controversial measures, since the original bill bans not only the sale of those guns but possession — meaning people who already own them would have to give them up. Amid an uproar, Northam said a grandfather clause would be added to protect existing owners, but they would have to register their weapons. Gun-rights advocates were not appeased, saying registration is just a first step toward confiscation.

Response to that agenda has become so heated that the nation’s most visible gun-rights group, the National Rifle Association, is taking an intentionally lower-key approach. It will sponsor town halls in three rural locations around Virginia in the coming weeks, aimed at explaining proposed legislation.

Rather than publicize the Jan. 20 rally, the NRA has called on its members to visit lawmakers on Jan. 13, the day it expects the first bills to be taken up in committee. It has not commented on the sanctuary cities movement.

A group called United in Strength for America is sponsoring a two-day seminar at a hotel near Richmond’s airport for the weekend before the Jan. 20 rally. Its slate of speakers includes Tony Pellegrino, founder of a West Coast conservative law academy, who will describe legal methods for fighting gun seizure laws. A state representative from Idaho “will share a behind-the-scenes look at the gun-grabbers,” according to an email invitation to the event.

“The country is watching us, for Virginia is the canary in the coal mine of the nation,” the invitation says.

All the outside attention has overwhelmed some of the homegrown gun rights advocates. Troy Carter, who helped rally support for a sanctuary proclamation in Amelia County outside Richmond, said he has seen the fiery language on social media.

“I am worried people will come here to Virginia and look for that opportunity to cause trouble,” he said. “It’s not going to be the sanctuary guys, because we just want peace and to be left alone.”

Enraged
47of74

From Hawaii

In a shocking series of events Sunday, a 69-year-old man facing eviction is accused of stabbing his landlord, fatally shooting two Honolulu police officers who were responding to the scene and then apparently setting a raging fire that destroyed at least seven homes and damaged others in an affluent community on the slopes of Diamond Head.

In a news conference Sunday afternoon, a visibly shaken Police Chief Ballard identified those killed as: Officers Tiffany Enriquez, a seven-year veteran of the force and Kaulike Kalama, a nine-year veteran of the force.

Ballard identified the suspect as Jerry Hanel, and authorities believe he died when the home he was in went up in flames.  

Court documents show Hanel has a history of erratic behavior and making making false 911 reports. His attorney said he had delusions that he was being tracked by the FBI.

Waffle Time
JMarie

There was a gun rights rally in Virginia today, on the day which honors a civil rights leader who was assassinated via gunshot. Makes total sense.

Enraged
47of74

Fuck the NRA. 

Enraged
47of74

Murica 

A couple who once lived in the Bee Cave area were killed Wednesday after they confronted the woman's ex-husband — who previously lived in Bastrop — and his wife in a dramatic Ohio shootout that a friend said was over their children's college fund.

Three of the four people were armed and fired shots outside the ex-husband's house near Dayton in southwestern Ohio, the Greene County sheriff's office told the Dayton Daily News.

Cheryl Sanders, a stuntwoman who has appeared in films including "Ocean's Eleven," and her husband, Robert Reed Sanders, were killed.

The ex-husband, Lindsey Duncan, who has not been charged in the shooting, survived the exchange of gunfire along with his wife.