IGNORED

Thoughts/experiences with chiropractors?

mollysmom

I've been having back pain on & off for a couple months now. It's not constant but when it hurts it really hurts and pain medication doesn't seem to touch it. My job is very physical & I'm on my feet for a good 11-12 hours a day. It finally got so bad that I went to see my Doctor. She gave me the name of a chiropractor in the area & she also gave me steroids. I took the steroids hoping that they would take care of the pain but they didn't (they made me very angry and emotional though lol) so now the steroids are gone & the pain is back so I have to call the chiropractor. I'm scared because I've never been to one before. I'm scared of them snapping my neck (do they do that cuz it looks TERRIFYING to me). I'm a big chicken and I know this is not a big deal. I'm just nervous & apprehensive so I wanted to see if you gals had anything you could share with me about it. 

• Love 1

I see a chiropractor for back issues on a regular basis.  And recommend giving it a try.  I find Chiro helpful for my back issues.  Give it a try.  It keeps me off pain meds.  I don't use the Chiro for quakery and cure all stuff outside of say, sinus and ear adjustments for allergies/colds/ear infection issues.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

A good chiropractor should get your permission before going anywhere near your neck -- lots of people are wary or uncomfortable with that.  Tell them up front you don't want your neck adjusted without discussion first.

I use a chiropractor regularly, at least a few times a year and more if I'm having active issues with back or hips.

I also highly recommend a book called "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.  Great descriptions of how the body reacts when the anatomy isn't balanced properly, and how problems can travel around in the body -- ie a problem in your knee can be felt in the neck, or a problem in your shoulder can be felt in the hips.  The body wants the joints to be aligned for movement, and the ways it tries to compensate when not aligned can really cause us problems.

(my lay person descriptions only!)  Good luck and hope you feel better!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I’m a huge fan of chiropractic care. I regularly get my neck adjusted (I sleep on my stomach which is terrible for the neck. ) She also adjusts my lower back and pelvis. If a bone is out of place pain medicine usually doesn’t help. 

I think it’s smart to be cautious and I would try to find a chiropractor who understands your concerns, listens to you and will explain what they plan on doing before they do it. 

I hope you find some relief!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Sitting in a chair twisting the head  - I think.  The chiro I see only tried it once when I first started and my neck wasn't cooperating or something so I always have it done on the table.  Could probably have it done with their little 'gun' device too.  

• Thank You 1

Thank you everyone! I made an appointment (it's not for a few weeks). He comes highly recommended by quite a few people that I know so hopefully it will be fine. I've been having weird headaches at the base of my head too & now I'm kind of wondering if it's related to my back issues. Guess I'll find out when I go. I'm a little nervous still but I'm happy that I'll hopefully finally get some relief. 

6 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I also highly recommend a book called "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.  Great descriptions of how the body reacts when the anatomy isn't balanced properly, and how problems can travel around in the body -- ie a problem in your knee can be felt in the neck, or a problem in your shoulder can be felt in the hips.  The body wants the joints to be aligned for movement, and the ways it tries to compensate when not aligned can really cause us problems.

Thank you for the book recommendation. My doctor did mention something along those lines & it's something I never even thought about to be honest but it makes sense. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

Sitting in a chair twisting the head  - I think.  The chiro I see only tried it once when I first started and my neck wasn't cooperating or something so I always have it done on the table.  Could probably have it done with their little 'gun' device too.  

Oh, I see. I always lay on the table as well. I think the only time she’s used the little gun thing on me was for a couple ribs that were out.