• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 110: Single Too Long for a JRod Discussion

EmmieJ
17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think that most of Jill’s children likely do fall into the normal range for height and weight when you look at their growth overall. A Baby in the 25th percentile for weight turns into a kid in the 25th percentile for weight. If the growth chart stays steady, it’s ok. But if it takes a sudden large dip, then there’s more of a problem. The only two children I see with possible growth issues are Gabriel and Sofia. They are both quite short compared to their similar aged siblings. But Gabriel might get a late growth spurt. My cousin got a late one. We had all assumed he would just always be short. But he finally grew at 16/17 and is a slightly above average height. Boys can grow well into their teens. So Gabriel might be fine in that regard. However Sofia May have been exposed to plexus and who knows what that does to growth. 

One of my sisters had four children (2 girls, 2 boys) and the youngest boy was always little for his age until he hit a growth spurt around 16-17.  After he was done growing, he's the tallest of the four children. 

However, all the Rod kids are terribly skinny and look malnourished to me (except for Janessa).  Jill's post about how both SHE and David were SUPER skinny as kids and could never gain weight is ridiculous.  I believe David was quite trim as a young man, but I bet Jill was of average weight.  She just can't help but place herself into the middle of any story line.

JermajestyDuggar
16 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

One of my sisters had four children (2 girls, 2 boys) and the youngest boy was always little for his age until he hit a growth spurt around 16-17.  After he was done growing, he's the tallest of the four children. 

However, all the Rod kids are terribly skinny and look malnourished to me (except for Janessa).  Jill's post about how both SHE and David were SUPER skinny as kids and could never gain weight is ridiculous.  I believe David was quite trim as a young man, but I bet Jill was of average weight.  She just can't help but place herself into the middle of any story line.

I hate defending Jill, lol.... But the twins are naturally thin. Every picture I’ve ever seen of them is a picture showing they are thin. Even when they are pregnant they don’t seem to gain a bunch of weight. I think it’s just their natural build. I think it’s possible both Jill and Lisa were thin as kids too. I’ve only ever seen David on his wedding day and he looked trim, but not thin. I suppose he could have been a thin child. But it’s totally possible Jill’s kids are genetically predisposed to be on the thin side like the twins. I think some of Jill’s kids look more like the twins. In my opinion, Tim looks more like Amy and Angie than Jill! 

Basically what I’m saying is that Jill’s kids likely aren’t starving. Although I bet they don’t eat very healthy food. I bet they eat a lot of cheap food that isn’t very nutritious. Things like pasta, hot dogs, and pb&j’s.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

NoKidsAndCounting

Well, Jill and David continue to be terrible, and I'm interested in this soda, candy, snack thread drift. 😂  I'm from the U.S., and I've tried some great things from other countries I enjoy.

Things I've tried from other countries I love = Aero bars (mint), Pocky (almost any flavor), Cadbury chocolate (fortunately we can get some here), Jaffa cakes, licorice allsorts.  I REALLY want to try a Tim Tam but I haven't bought any yet. 

I am from the Midwest and cannot find Mr. Pibb in a store to save my life.  I have only seen a few restaurants that carry it in the fountain...and now it's Pibb Xtra.  NOOOO!  I even named our former beloved cat Mr. Pibb.  The southern states have all the best pop...Cheerwine, Sundrop, Mello Yellow.  I have family in the south, so I can enjoy when I go down there. Mostly I drink diet pop because I have to do so, but I indulge now and again.

Retro/hard to find U.S. candy I love = Skyy Bar, Albert's chocolate ice cubes (heaven in a bite), ribbon candy (at Christmas)

Waffle Time
catlady
5 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

And at Robin's Donuts they are called Robin's eggs.  I keep forgetting and calling them timbits.

Back in my fast food days, i’d been known to order McNuggets at Wendy’s.....

Meh
Dandruff
12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But it’s totally possible Jill’s kids are genetically predisposed to be on the thin side like the twins. I think some of Jill’s kids look more like the twins. In my opinion, Tim looks more like Amy and Angie than Jill! 

I also think that Tim looks more like the twins.

As far as genetic predisposition to being thin...I'd have an easier time believing that's the reason for the kids' thinness if it wasn't all of them (except the baby) and if Tim hadn't gained weight so quickly after he left home.

This soda conversation still has my mind on root beer, a treat I haven't had for decades.  I'm now torn between wanting to avoid sugary drinks and wanting to find just one serving of a good root beer.  But if it's too good I'll probably want more.  OTOH, I usually have bottles of Coke around and don't seem to have much of a problem limiting my consumption of it.

I drank some Sprite as a teenager but didn't love it.  Tried Dr. Pepper and really didn't love it.  Will not drink Pepsi, unless I'm "accidentally" given it someplace where I've specifically asked for Coke only.  I can immediately tell the difference, stop after a sip, send it back, and stick with water.

Aggravated
pamplemousse
14 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

Well, Jill and David continue to be terrible, and I'm interested in this soda, candy, snack thread drift. 😂  I'm from the U.S., and I've tried some great things from other countries I enjoy.

Things I've tried from other countries I love = Aero bars (mint), Pocky (almost any flavor), Cadbury chocolate (fortunately we can get some here), Jaffa cakes, licorice allsorts.  I REALLY want to try a Tim Tam but I haven't bought any yet. 

I am from the Midwest and cannot find Mr. Pibb in a store to save my life.  I have only seen a few restaurants that carry it in the fountain...and now it's Pibb Xtra.  NOOOO!  I even named our former beloved cat Mr. Pibb.  The southern states have all the best pop...Cheerwine, Sundrop, Mello Yellow.  I have family in the south, so I can enjoy when I go down there. Mostly I drink diet pop because I have to do so, but I indulge now and again.

Retro/hard to find U.S. candy I love = Skyy Bar, Albert's chocolate ice cubes (heaven in a bite), ribbon candy (at Christmas)

Oh my gosh, I remember Albert's chocolate ice cubes! They tasted kinda like hazelnut to me and they'd melt if you so much as looked at them, I swear. But they were SO good and I miss them.

As for pop, I'm a Coke and Dr. Pepper girl all the way. Or, should I say, Coke Zero and Diet Dr. Pepper...although once in a great while, I'll order a small or medium regular Coke from McDonald's. It just tastes good that way. I'll drink Pepsi products if no Coke products are available, but they just don't taste as good to me.

A few years ago, I went to Toronto for the weekend. One of the first things I did when I got there was to hit the drugstore in the concourse under the hotel and buy several kinds of candy bars and Doritos that are hard or impossible to find here in the US. The next day, I went out and bought a Kinder Surprise (I think that's what is called) egg because I could...can't get those in the States.  I also went to Tim Horton's because I'd heard so much about them. Imagine my disappointment when I ordered what I think was a mocha...it tasted like bad coffee that had an envelope of mediocre hot chocolate mix dumped in it. I ended up throwing most of it away; and if you know me, you know I hate to waste money like that and will probably choke down what I spend my money on.

HarryPotterFan
1 hour ago, EmmieJ said:

Another joy re getting older mixed with various health conditions -- I never know when I might have need of a restroom immediately.  I definitely take that into consideration on any longer drives - where are public restrooms along the way?

Fortunately yes. I couldn’t even use/read google maps to find a bathroom somewhere, I had to go that badly. But then we saw a sign for a rest area/gas stations. My brother was kind of amused/impressed with how quickly it escalated from, “Can we find a bathroom?” To “I WILL PEE ON THE FLOOR IF NECESSARY.” I was just sitting in the car, jealous of my cousin’s baby because she can pee whenever she wants!

2 minutes ago, pamplemousse said:

The next day, I went out and bought a Kinder Surprise (I think that's what is called) egg because I could...can't get those in the States. 

I did the same thing when I went to Canada! I was going to bring some home but was warned about that being illegal. I didn’t want to risk smuggling illegal chocolate into the country when I was on a work trip.

SuperNova
45 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

Try www.oldtimecandy.com 

Mr. Nova and I were looking for favorite candies from our childhood and Cinnamon Bears were remarkably hard to find but this place had them. We ordered 2 pounds and pigged out. We threw in some Zots and Lemonheads for fun as well. The Zots were awful and I have no idea why I used to think they were good. For those unfamiliar, a Zot is a hard candy with a pocket of dry powder in the middle that fizzes when you bite into it. You end up with a mouthful of foam like a rabid dog. Not ok. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

NoKidsAndCounting

LOL!  Zots!  I used to eat them as a kid.  I would probably hate them now, though, based on what you just described.

Giddy
BemusedByFundamentalism
2 hours ago, justmissedquiver said:

I can see how this would be tasty. I was turned on to creamy OJ with the same ratio of milk to OJ by a friend. It was delicious.

Where I grew up it was not a thing (bottom south of The Netherlands), but in my current area (westcoast) you'll find something on the menu called 'karnejus' (karnemelk=butter milk and jus=orange juice). It's a bit weird but when you're in the mood for something tangy and refreshing, it might work for you. 

1 hour ago, EmmieJ said:

Another joy re getting older mixed with various health conditions -- I never know when I might have need of a restroom immediately.  I definitely take that into consideration on any longer drives - where are public restrooms along the way?

9 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Fortunately yes. I couldn’t even use/read google maps to find a bathroom somewhere, I had to go that badly. But then we saw a sign for a rest area/gas stations. My brother was kind of amused/impressed with how quickly it escalated from, “Can we find a bathroom?” To “I WILL PEE ON THE FLOOR IF NECESSARY.” I was just sitting in the car, jealous of my cousin’s baby because she can pee whenever she wants!

I did the same thing when I went to Canada! I was going to bring some home but was warned about that being illegal. I didn’t want to risk smuggling illegal chocolate into the country when I was on a work trip.

So glad (but also sorry for you!) to read about other people needing to pee instantly. It's actually quite limiting for me from time to time because I have to  plan my ways around the possibility of finding a bathroom ASAP. Also, I will never book a seat in a theatre that's not an aisle seat for that same reason, and on airplanes I do the same.  

EmmieJ
30 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

As far as genetic predisposition to being thin...I'd have an easier time believing that's the reason for the kids' thinness if it wasn't all of them (except the baby) and if Tim hadn't gained weight so quickly after he left home.

Yes, Tim definitely filled out once he was no longer living at home.  And with the number of children the Rods have, wouldn't at least one or two be less painfully thin, if it were simply a matter of DNA?  I originally had 7 siblings from one set of parents and we are all over the map:  2 blond hair, blue eyed; 2 with dark hair and olive skin that tans very easily; one redhead with freckles and easily burns in the sun; etc.  Some of us were fairly slim, while others of us more easily gained weight as we got older.   It just seems like there ought to be at least one outlier that isn't stick thin in that group, if it were only a matter of genetic predisposition.  Then again, I'm not an expert in that field.

Also, I was of average weight growing up, but in my 30's, my metabolism slowed quite a bit and I put on the pounds.  Then I had my son and put on some more.  My son, on the other hand, burned off all his extra fat as soon as he started walking and was always thin as he grew up.  I had trouble finding him pants that fit around the waist but were long enough.  Tall and skinny.  I wonder if people thought I ate all the food and fed him the scraps!  So I do understand that sometimes people are naturally skinny even if they eat a lot.