IGNORED

Conversion therapy group founder comes out as gay, apologizes

fraurosena

I am appalled that apparently some 700,000 LGBTQ-identifying adults have gone through some form of conversion therapy. All because some fundamentalist religion says you aren't allowed to be who you are. This dude was so in denial of who he was that he founded one of the largest conversion therapy programs in America, and speaks of how told his wife he kept feeling the attraction although he really didn't want to. I kinda feel sorry for him for that, but I have to admit that feeling is surpassed by my feelings of anger towards him, for pushing conversion therapy onto so many LGBTQ people -- and profiting from it.

Conversion therapy group founder comes out as gay, apologizes

[There is a video interview embedded in the quote.]

The founder of one of the nation’s largest conversion therapy programs, who spent decades leading the organization, now says he is gay, apologizing for his role in the practice.

McKrae Game, who founded and led Hope for Wholeness in South Carolina, publicly announced he was gay in early June, more than two years after the organization’s board of directors abruptly fired him.

In a Facebook post last week, Game, 51, said he was “wrong,” adding: “Please forgive me.”

“I certainly regret where I caused harm,” he wrote. “Promoting the triadic model that blamed parents and conversion or prayer therapy, that made many people believe that their orientation was wrong, bad, sinful, evil, and worse that they could change was absolutely harmful."

“It’s all in my past, but many, way TOO MANY continue believing that there is something wrong with themselves and wrong with people that choose to live their lives honestly and open as gay, lesbian, trans, etc.,” he added. “Learn to love yourself and others.”

In an interview with The Post and Courier published Saturday, Game called conversion therapy “a lie” and “false advertising” and called for the dissolution of conversion therapy practices or ex-gay ministries.

Game is one of several former gay conversion therapy leaders who have since cut ties with the movement and have come out as LGBTQ.

Some 700,000 LGBTQ-identifying adults have gone through some form of conversion therapy as of 2018, according to UCLA’s Williams Institute, The Post and Courier notes.

Eighteen states and at least 50 cities and counties across the country have laws or regulations "protecting youth from this harmful practice," the Human Rights Campaign says.

• Thank You 3

I read an article about him earlier. I'm not sure how to feel.  I'm disgusted and infuriated by his actions.  But at the same time I feel sorry for him, because he was not allowed to be his true self and felt like being himself would be wrong.  Which does not mean that I excuse his actions, not at all.  I think he should be punished for his actions.  I also would not be surprised if there are other prominent evangelists that come out in the future.

• Upvote 4