IGNORED

Interracial couple denied use of wedding venue

Black Aliss

Christianist business owners can now apparently refuse service to anyone that appears to violate their deeply held religious beliefs bigotry. My favorite part is this conversation that took place between the owner and the man's sister

“First of all, we don’t do gay weddings or mixed race, because of our Christian race—I mean, our Christian belief,” the woman tells Welch in the video.

“Okay, we’re Christians as well,” Welch replies.

“Yes ma’am,” the woman says.

“So, what in the Bible tells you that—?,” Welch beings to ask, before getting cut off by the apparent Boone’s camp employee.

“Well, I don’t want to argue my faith,” the woman says.

Clearly there are Christians and then there are Christians. These people are just not the right kind of Christians. This is the obvious (to some of us) natural outcome of the religious freedom acts that are all the rage in Southern states, and that the Mississippi legislature passed in 2016. The law was struck down in federal court, then upheld by the  U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. The new, arch-conservative U.S. Supreme Court declined to take the case. 

http://www.deepsouthvoice.com/index.php/2019/09/01/no-mixed-or-gay-couples-mississippi-wedding-venue-manager-says-on-video/

• Disgust 10
  • WTF 9
  • Thank You 2

10 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Christianist business owners can now apparently refuse service to anyone that appears to violate their deeply held religious beliefs bigotry.

Would like to know if the Christianist woman is a kinist.

If so, I hope that the media keeps digging into this story and shines major light on these fuckwads.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

If so, I hope that the media keeps digging into this story and shines major light on these fuckwads.

I heard about this story, too, and am disgusted. Thank you for sharing, @Black Aliss, as much as I’d like to not know about it in my already depressed state of mind, it’s so important not to look away. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Could be , but even more likely , as she at first said that it went against her " Christian race " , she's probably Christian Identity .   https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/1998/how-christian-identity-movement-began  This differs from Kinism  in that the Christian Identity movement possits that only the white race was divinely created in God's image , all other "colored races" evolved from lower forms of primates , via natural selection . 

Edited by Marmion
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 17
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

27 minutes ago, Marmion said:

Could be , but even more likely , as she at first said that it went against her " Christian race " , she's probably Christian Identity .   https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/1998/how-christian-identity-movement-began  This differs from Kinism  in that the Christian Identity movement possits that only the white race was divinely created in God's image , all other "colored races" evolved from lower forms of primates , via natural selection . 

Thank you for the info -- you may well be right. 

What a foul bunch of asshats these people are.

• I Agree 13

As one someone in an interracial marriage with two mixed kids, the fact that these people still exist makes me feel hopeless sometimes. I’d love to go visit the south, but there are just too many stories out there like this that I know I wouldn’t feel safe...and it’s 20-fucking-19.

• Sad 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 19

Wait, so if you call your racism religion, it is legal in the US? The fuck? ?

Edited by squiddysquid
Well in cases like that at least that way you're not accidentally giving your money to assholes like that. I hope they run out of business.
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

47 minutes ago, kittenesque said:

As one someone in an interracial marriage with two mixed kids, the fact that these people still exist makes me feel hopeless sometimes. I’d love to go visit the south, but there are just too many stories out there like this that I know I wouldn’t feel safe...and it’s 20-fucking-19.

Well , I will say though that , coming from my standpoint as a person who is basically white , and technically " Black Dutch "  , was born and in part raised around Oil City , Pennsylvania , which is  a home base to the Kuklos Knights of the Ku Klux Klan https://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/03/19/hate-groups-pennsylvania-splc/   , and has been living in Ohio , where I have seen Confederate flags being displayed publicly , especially at such events as county fairs  https://www.starbeacon.com/news/local_news/confederate-flag-will-be-sold-but-discouraged-at-county-fair/article_2f50273c-20f8-5893-b44a-4e63477ff4fd.html   ,  https://fox8.com/tag/lorain-county-fair-flag-issues/   , https://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/Confederate-flag-Ohio/2015/08/06/id/665804/   , I concur with this quote by Malcolm X .   413136-Malcolm-X-Quote-If-you-are-Black- 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 11

These "christian identity" and kinist types are everywhere.  They never got over Loving vs State of Virginia and they feel like Trumpence is their chance to step boldly out of the closet and reassert their god given rights to lord white christian judgement over everyone else.

The man I'm kinda sorta seeing ("Neptune") is black (I am not) and was in his late teens when Loving was decided.  And yet, out here in the western state we've each adopted as home, fifty years on from that decision, we still ocassionally encounter "the look."  And we're just casually feeling out what something more than a friendship might look like.  The really disconcerting part, on my end, is the pity look, the "she can do better than him, why is she with him?" look.  And not to go all bragging or anything but Neptune was was one of the founding 23 members of the Black 100 - black brokers/executive on Wall St - among other points on his resume.  He's the one who is way out of my league.  Sad of a comment as this is, I expect the looks we both get.  Same thing happened when I was in college dating a black man in the upper midwest, twenty odd years ago and that particular boyfriend was in med school.  No slouch there either.  

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 10

I concur with Marmion and Malcolm X.  I have lived in major cities north and south, and I gotta say that in terms of visible, in your face racism (comments, people saying the n-word openly, Confederate flags and bumper stickers) - Indiana was the most racist place I've lived.  Racist assholes are everywhere, and sadly the noisiest ones get the most press.

Things may be pretty backwards down here in East TX in many ways, but honestly I have seen interracial couples and children very regularly in our city (50,000+ people) and no one bats an eye.  It was a pleasant surprise when we moved here 10+ years ago.  I don't know if that's a Texas thing or what, but I've experienced more open acceptance/not noticing here as opposed to Nashville (where I grew up).  

The look on these twits' faces when they get to heaven and see Jesus, a brown-skinned Middle Eastern Jew:

patrick.jpg

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 6

7 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Indiana was the most racist place I've lived

This isn't surprising given the state's history:

The Ku Klux Klan rose to prominence in Indiana politics and society after World War I. It was made up of native-born, white Protestants of many income and social levels. In the changing world of the 1920s, the group was against Catholics, Jews, African-Americans, immorality, and drinking. Nationally, Indiana was said to have the most powerful Ku Klux Klan. Though it counted a high number of members statewide, its importance peaked in the 1924 election of Edward Jackson for governor. A short time later, the scandal that surrounded D.C. Stephenson destroyed the image of the Ku Klux Klan as upholders of law and order. By 1926 the Ku Klux Klan was crippled and discredited. Later efforts to revive the Ku Klux Klan in the 1960s and 1970s were attempted, but its message was not received in large numbers, as it had been forty years previously.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

The Christianist woman gave a half ass apology saying she just didn't know the Bible says nothing about interracial relationships!  She studied the Bible this weekend with her husband and her pastor to learn something brand new to her!

I'm being sarcastic.  I'm sure she knew.  That's her excuse.

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, raspberrymint said:

The Christianist woman gave a half ass apology saying she just didn't know the Bible says nothing about interracial relationships!  She studied the Bible this weekend with her husband and her pastor to learn something brand new to her!

I'm being sarcastic.  I'm sure she knew.  That's her excuse.

Here's the article which references this .  https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/relationships/wedding-venue-apparently-denied-interracial-couple-over-christian-belief-video/ar-AAGKRlc   

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

On 9/2/2019 at 5:09 PM, kittenesque said:

I would avoid Indiana like the plague~ I was born/raised there and sadly, most of my family are racist pigs.

Some parts of the south are bass ackwards.  However, some area's are very nice.  Please don't avoid all the south.  Parts of WNC, parts of SC are actually quite open and enlightened.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

Indiana isn't any different from any other state.  I'm from the south and my wife is from the east coast.  I've lived places where random old white men would openly complain to me about interracial couples when they would see said couples, expecting me to agree with the complaints.  That hasn't happened to me in Indiana yet, but I haven't been here long.  I don't live near family and my friends here are all of a progressive mindset.  I have noticed more locational segregation, but that's how all cities are and it isn't like that at work.  

It's the company you keep, everywhere.  You can't choose family.

(My relationship to strangers looks like a white / Jewish woman coupled with a mixed white and Asian man.  We haven't heard anything intentionally deregatory in regards to race as a couple.  It's instead unintentional misgendering and people being awkward around my wife.  I'm not sure we "count" as an interracial couple because so often that only seems to mean black and white, specifically a black man and a white woman.  Gender is generally noticed as unique before race with us / my wife because people are too busy being fake intimidated to notice my wife's facial features.  She's a tall person.  I think strangers who think in stereotypes are thrown off in general by her, not expecting a tall, blonde, slightly muscular, racially ambiguous trans woman.)

Edited by raspberrymint
Grammar. Added last sentence to sum up what I mean.
  • Upvote 9

Oh dear Lord! I'm sorry to say this is still going on today in the south, where we live. My skin color is very pale with olive undertones and brown hair. My husband, whom I married over 25 years ago is Filipino. His completion is so dark he can pass for mid to dark skinned African American / black. (I hardly ever refer to someone by their race but the few times I have, I try to use the other person's preference. I intend no offense to anyone.)  

We have twin daughters; 4 members of our family living in the same house with 4 different skin tones. I'm as pale as can be (even with dark hair and olive undertones,) Twin A is a tiny bit darker than me, will sunburn very easily, with pinkish undertones, Twin B has a very dark completion but a little lighter than my husband.  She is so dark, while in public, I've been asked often if she was twin A's friend or when she calls me "Mom" I'm asked if she is adopted with the a few who then commented on how awesome we are to have opened our home and hearts to love a "mixed black baby!" When I reply they are actually twins with the same father whom happens to have a dark complexion because he's Filipino they are generally very confused. (Because, you know, the only type of interracial couples consist of one white person and one black!) I even had one woman, when they were a little over a year old tell me she was simply asking a question and I didn't have to lie and be rude to her! I wasn't rude nor lying, just stating the facts. If I wasn't overly friendly it was because it was none of her fucking business! I'm so tired of explaining my families race, heritage, and where our ancestors immigrated from!

My favorite story of all is when I told my very racist aunt my husband asked me to marry him and I said yes. She was visibly upset, tried to talk me out of it, and at our wedding reception her husband (who is now deceased) and she had a conversation about how we wouldn't last a year. You know, because white women shouldn't ever marry a black man and the marriage would never work out. I told her so many times he's Filipino that I just stopped correcting her. The only thing I insisted on and the only time I ever showed anger towards her and yelled was to tell her if I ever heard another racial slur from her again, regardless of which race she was referring to, she would never see me again. She did stop saying things like that in front of me, thankfully. She's still living today and still refers to me as her great-niece who married "that black man." I don't have much contact with her because I can't stand her bigotry and racism and it's all she ever wants to talk about. One can only take so much before they have to cut ties for their own sanity and mental health. 

And to end this with a "proud parent" story I must brag on my daughters. When they speak of a classmate and the classmate is in a group they do not say she color of their skin or ethnicity regardless if it would help identity that person. They will describe color of clothing, backpack, purse, anything but their skin color. It's not that they do not see the classmate has different features and skin color; of course they can see that. It's so normal to them that everyone has different color skin and features because of our immediate family it doesn't occur to them to use that as a descriptive; even now at 16 years old. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 14

I do wonder how things will change with kids for my family.  Kids will likely have my hair texture (curly poof) and my wife's eyes.  They won't be tall when they're very young, either, meaning people will actually notice their faces.  Hair genetics say strawberry blonde is the most likely color.  I truly have no idea what will be assumed.  

People already make assumptions and ask intrusive questions in regards to conceiving.  

Years ago, a couple that claimed to be gnostic mystics and built their whole life and livelihood around that told me that I shouldn't be a lesbian and reproduce because IVF will bring forth the antichrist.  

• Sad 2
  • WTF 5

10 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

Years ago, a couple that claimed to be gnostic mystics and built their whole life and livelihood around that told me that I shouldn't be a lesbian and reproduce because IVF will bring forth the antichrist.  

Well, of course your future children will be the antichrist! My twins are too, since they were conceived through IVF! They have always gone to Catholic school (because our public school system ranks in the last 5 in the nation, not because of religion, I assure you.) Plus, add in they are biracial they must be doomed and they will just be a menace to society. Simply worthless and wreaking havoc wherever they are and go in life. It's a fact you will simply have to accept. **Severe sarcasm**

Last school year their religion teacher told them children conceived outside of marital sex are going to Hell. If they were conceived by artificial insemination, they too were going to Hell. If they were conceived in the worst case scenario, in a Petri dish in a lab, they were just test tube babies and didn't have a soul. Without a soul, IVF babies were the worse because they didn't even EXIST! I wrote a nasty email to that teacher, cc'd the principal, a friend whom happens to be a priest, and the archdiocese. I told the teacher I beg to differ and they are indeed "real children" that I feed, clothe, provide for all their needs, and even spend a fortune on tuition. Needless to say my priest friend was very angry and called my girls that night to let them know she was absolutely incorrect and would speak to the head of the Catholic Schools Archdiocese. She still teaches there but my friend told me (He wasn't supposed to say anything to me but he thought I had a right to know because he's awesome like that!) she got in a lot of trouble for saying what she did in class. Her defense was she didn't know they were conceived with IVF. Apparently she was put on probation and she could have lost her job. 

She now ignores my girls and me when she sees us. 

Edited by Conundrum
  • Upvote 1
  • Angry 4
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 5

Who knows? Since the church is adamantly against IVF or most reproductive technology we've heard a lot of stupidity in their 12 years of attending Catholic School. (They started in pre-k 4 and are now juniors in high school. But this lady was / is the worst. 

But, she didn't know anyone who was conceived with IVF attended Catholic school so I guess she thought it was safe to say. 

• Upvote 4

@Conundrum, one of my FB friends is a light-skinned, red haired white woman married to a Korean-American man. Their daughters resemble their father, so she’s had her share of rude, intrusive comments. One day, someone asked her where her kids came from, and she flatly replied, “My vagina.”

Re the Catholic BS against in vitro and other reproductive assistance: Wouldn’t it be the parents who committed the “sin”? (Which it isn’t, but you get my point.) Aren’t the children totally blameless?

This douchecanoe of a teacher reminds me a bit of the nutbar biology teacher I had in high school back in 1968. In a discussion of in vitro fertilization (which hadn’t yet happened with humans), he went off on a tangent re whether such babies would have souls. He said there would be no way of knowing until the child got to be old enough to answer the question, “Is there a god?” (I didn’t bother pointing out that the child’s beliefs would most likely be influenced by their religious upbringing, or lack thereof.) This guy also self-published a book titled, “I Know He Loves Me,” about a visitation he had from God. I heard he sat in a local drug store with a pile of copies to sell, and got no takers. I just nipped over to Amazon and apparently he wrote a sequel, “Why Does He Love Me?” Only one copy is available, and for the bargain price of $150.00.

Edited by Hane
  • Haha 5

I’ve read/seen a few stories where a couple in an interracial marriage had twins where one was white and the other black. Genetics are so complicated in the way they play out, even amongst singletons who are siblings. Sometimes a brother and sister who aren’t the same age can look really alike, other times they look nothing like each other (I don’t look very much like my brother for example). Same goes for siblings of the same sex. 

• Upvote 5

On 9/3/2019 at 7:04 PM, CelticGoddess said:

I would avoid Indiana like the plague~ I was born/raised there and sadly, most of my family are racist pigs.

Hi, I'm also Indiana born and raised, and while you might have had a bad experience here, not everyone is like that and there are plenty of good places to live!

People drag Indiana all the time, and this isn't directed at you, but it does get a little bit old to have my home state crapped on all the time by people that don't even live here anymore. I promise there are good people here.

Edited by Cat Damon
repeated myself
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1