IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 9: Perfecting Hypocrisy

Coconut Flan

On 9/8/2019 at 8:10 PM, WeirdHarold said:

It sounds RF tries to keep its members busy all week.  Is Sunday an exception?

No.

I recall (when @RFsurvivor and I were in) Sunday’s being relatively busy for many members. 

This day often involved cleaning the main church building and its grounds as well as participating in house moves for (incoming and/or transferring) “saints”. The RCO (Remnant Chamber Orchestra) and sometimes the choir  gathered and practiced as well. Small fellowship groups often gathered (either at the main church building or at individual homes) for Weighdown classes, “devotionals” or casual hangouts on Sundays. 

There as no rest for the misguided. If the church / “body of Christ” had a need, a member was to fill said need without question, with joy and “gratefulness”.

Edited by RFSurvivor_2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 11

IMO if you want to do the right thing out of the goodness of your heart there is no need to "polish gracious behavior", that's what you do if you just want to act nice. But maybe that's just me. 

Spoiler

God’s Spirit of Love

September 10, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

To have God’s good etiquette, we need the Spirit of God in our hearts, but note that obtaining this Spirit is dependent on our actions. These actions must come first, and then God will come and make His home inside your heart. This is worded so beautifully by Jesus in the Gospel of John, where it says, Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching.” John 14:23-24 God’s Spirit of love resides in those who obey. Then and only then will you have etiquette of the heart. If you work on the inside of your heart first, then you can clean up the outside and polish gracious behavior. This behavior will be sincere, not striving to flatter or impress mankind, because those who are trying to do that could still have bad thoughts inside, but you are doing it solely for the glory of God. We must have the right purpose every day! Get your heart right so you can glorify the Father who made you, and then extend the credit back to Him.

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Thank You 4

52 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

(Gwen's devotional posted byAG)

To have God’s good etiquette, we need the Spirit of God in our hearts, but note that obtaining this Spirit is dependent on our actions. These actions must come first, and then God will come and make His home inside your heart.

To the bold. I don't know my Bible like many on here but I believe there is part of the bible that said God made us all and he waits for us to invite him in BUT h loves all his children even if they don't invite him.

I shouldn't be surprised that some with zero biblical training twists scripture.  

I really hope some RF members are curious and google RF and start reading how bad Gwen is for them in their faith and health. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

To the bold. I don't know my Bible like many on here but I believe there is part of the bible that said God made us all and he waits for us to invite him in BUT h loves all his children even if they don't invite him.

I shouldn't be surprised that some with zero biblical training twists scripture.  

I really hope some RF members are curious and google RF and start reading how bad Gwen is for them in their faith and health. 

I agree, and it's so sad. I can't even IMAGINE if my kids thought they had to do a lot of really good things before I poured my love into them. What a sad, sad existence. I can't imagine the person the Bible calls the Heavenly Father not loving His CHILDREN until they work really, really hard to earn it.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

51 minutes ago, Blue said:

I can't imagine the person the Bible calls the Heavenly Father not loving His CHILDREN until they work really, really hard to earn it.

Saved by works, not grace. ? It's like they think God has a star chart where you get a sticker every time you do something good.  If you think about it, this is all a rewards based concept...I do what the "church" commands then I GET jewels and riches in Heaven.  Hmmmm.... I prefer GRACE...I know God loves me UNCONDITIONALLY because I know him.  I fall sometimes but he is there for me and picks me up.  I try to do good but I know that I fall very short.  God loves me, period.

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

15 hours ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

No.

I recall (when @RFsurvivor and I were in) Sunday’s being relatively busy for many members. 

This day often involved cleaning the main church building and its grounds as well as participating in house moves for (incoming and/or transferring) “saints”. The RCO (Remnant Chamber Orchestra) and sometimes the choir  gathered and practiced as well. Small fellowship groups often gathered (either at the main church building or at individual homes) for Weighdown classes, “devotionals” or casual hangouts on Sundays. 

There as no rest for the misguided. If the church / “body of Christ” had a need, a member was to fill said need without question, with joy and “gratefulness”.

Those house moves consist of large gangs of men and boys, sometimes as many as fifteen, and they belligerently take over the neighborhood street and sidewalk with glares and stares. You don't dare get in their freaking way. Nasty nasty "saints". Nothing worse than "holier than thou" jerks.

• Sad 4
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Insightful said:

Saved by works, not grace. ? It's like they think God has a star chart where you get a sticker every time you do something good.  If you think about it, this is all a rewards based concept...I do what the "church" commands then I GET jewels and riches in Heaven.  Hmmmm.... I prefer GRACE...I know God loves me UNCONDITIONALLY because I know him.  I fall sometimes but he is there for me and picks me up.  I try to do good but I know that I fall very short.  God loves me, period.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

I agree, and it's so sad. I can't even IMAGINE if my kids thought they had to do a lot of really good things before I poured my love into them. What a sad, sad existence. I can't imagine the person the Bible calls the Heavenly Father not loving His CHILDREN until they work really, really hard to earn it.

I felt very touched , and moved by these words . I only wish that you all here were around when I was anxious over whether I was good enough to merit God's favor .  I wasn't even Remnant Fellowship , but I was in a church , the Church of the Nazarene  , which teaches that while salvation is free to attain , one must work to maintain it .  So I eventually developed anorexia mirabilis  , in an attempt to achieve entire sanctification via mortification  .  I feel that you are correct that a loving Heavenly Father would not cast aside those of His children whom sincerely seek to follow Him , even if they sometimes stumble along the way .  The way that Christian perfectionists make God out to be seems more like an abusive husband .  But I know that they would claim that God does love everyone , it's just that for  He loves some all the way to hell , even those who at some time had come to accept Jesus as personal Lord and Savior , if they wind up falling away from grace enough times .   So I hope that not only those in Remnant Fellowship , but also those in the Holiness movement  , and all others who believe likewise , will notice this thread , and consider the impact their teachings can have on people .  Evangelicalism need not be so discouraging , and distressing .   And furthermore , for what it's worth , such a doctrine of perfectionism is actually characteristic of emotional control , according to the BITE model   

. Promote feelings of guilt or unworthiness, such as 
   a. Identity guilt 
   b. You are not living up to your potential 
   c. Your family is deficient 
   d. Your past is suspect 
   e. Your affiliations are unwise 
   f. Your thoughts, feelings, actions are irrelevant or selfish 
   g. Social guilt 
   h. Historical guilt 
5. Instill fear, such as fear of: 
   a. Thinking independently 
   b. The outside world 
   c. Enemies 
   d. Losing one’s salvation 
   e. Leaving or being shunned by the group 
   f. Other’s disapproval

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, thoughtful said:

The "etiquette" series is making me think Gwen needs some work done on her house and wants it done for free by Remnant folks.

It wouldn’t be the first time, nor would it be the last.

• Upvote 5

On 9/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I grew up in a baptist church. All the children sat in church for like the first 20 minutes. Then we were all called to the front for the children’s bible lesson. We sat there listening to our short bible story before we were dismissed to the classroom downstairs where we would make some sort of craft pertaining to the Bible story. I remember being really sad when I got to be too old for it and had to sit and listen to the whole sermon in the pews with everyone else. I was often bored out of my mind but I would play hang man with my cousin or pass notes or doodle.

Most Baptist churches I've attended have something similar and I think all the United Methodist churches I've attended, including my current one, have either a short lesson where the pastor sits down on the floor with the kids and then sends them back to their parents in the pews or they are able to go to what we call Chlidren's Church if they want to.  I have taught Sunday School a few years, when my daughter was little.  I also helped with Children's Church at times.  The kids always seemed to enjoy it, there was a lesson or activity and they usually had a small snack.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

It wouldn’t be the first time, nor would it be the last.

The members of the Remnant Fellowship cult clean Gwen Shamblin Lara's house, tend her garden, cook her meals, handle her tech devices, manage her investments, work on her real estate projects, sell her WeighDown products, and generally do more for her lifestyle than they do for their own families. She's a wicked high priestess.

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 3
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 3

1 hour ago, NarcissismKills said:

The members of the Remnant Fellowship cult clean Gwen Shamblin Lara's house, tend her garden, cook her meals, handle her tech devices, manage her investments, work on her real estate projects, sell her WeighDown products, and generally do more for her lifestyle than they do for their own families. She's a wicked high priestess.

This is not uncommon in cults actually .  

The group is elitist
If your group is the solution for all the world’s problems, you’re probably in a cult.

Cults see themselves as the enlightened, chosen, and elect organization tasked with radically transforming individual lives and the entire world.

This elitism creates greater sense of group unity and responsibility centered on a united purpose. However, this sense of responsibility is often manipulated by cult leaders who coerce members into risky financial behavior, sexual favors, free manual labor, or heightened recruitment efforts in order to “further the cause.” 

https://zelphontheshelf.com/10-signs-youre-probably-in-a-cult/    Also , except for the sexual exploitation , and branding , at least , Remnant Fellowship is sounding like NXIVM in that regard .  

According to the complaint, Raniere -- known within the group as "Vanguard" -- oversaw a barbaric system in which women were told the best way to advance was to become a "slave" overseen by "masters." They also were expected to have sex with him and do menial chores for masters, and to keep the arrangement a secret or be publicly humiliated, the complaint says.... Investigators said Raniere preferred exceptionally thin women, so "slaves" had to stick to very low-calorie diets and document every food they ate.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nxivm-leader-keith-raniere-charged-sex-trafficking/  

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 4

Gwod wants you to wake up early because reasons 

Spoiler

How to Have a Great Morning

September 11, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Etiquette starts in the early morning when you awaken and give glory to God by praising Him for another day and His beautiful sunrise. He has been merciful to allow the world that is so full of evil desires to continue to spin another day. He is doing that in hopes that the lost will find His goodness. We must praise God for His patience and pray to imitate this patience with every human or situation that we come in contact with each day, even to our animals. We awaken with joy, and then we extend joy. If we find it hard to awaken early, then go to bed early, for the evening is less productive and the morning is extremely productive with a lot more time for the Spirit of God to guide you into good for the day.

We must not get out of bed until we pray to live a life that will salt the Earth all day. This prayer is with praise, and then directed love—to bring joy to our fellow man, which is the Kingdom work of God. This joy will come from the heart and give a morning smile to the face and a gentle, quiet, cheerful disposition to all around. For many there will be a need for mercy, patience and service for those around you—knowing that the world is only still in existence because of the extraordinarily deep patience of God.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

etiquette

[ˈedəkət, ˈedəˌket]

NOUN

the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.

She's using another word incorrectly.  Gwen, you're using another word incorrectly (I'm sure she's reading this!).  If you want your followers to be happy ALL the time (in the real world, we see this as fake and kind of "Stepford-y", btw) then just keep telling them that no matter how they feel, what's going on in their lives, if their parents are ill or they are having financial problems, they just have to smile.  Etiquette refers to social norms or rules, Gwen. 

• Upvote 7

Genuine question... is using the word "sweet" all.the.time a Southern thing?

Every time she uses it I can't help but thing of the manta for girls in the FLDS of "keep sweet."

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

is using the word "sweet" all.the.time

Not like the RFers do.  In my experience, they refer to everyone as Sweet (insert full name here).  It's very strange sounding and I think it's another way to separate them from others.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

31 minutes ago, Blue said:

Genuine question... is using the word "sweet" all.the.time a Southern thing?

Every time she uses it I can't help but thing of the manta for girls in the FLDS of "keep sweet."

I would imagine that they would regard anyone who is " walking in step with the Spirit "  to be sweet , as the Holy Spirit is described as being sweet , as mentioned in this Holiness hymn I referenced before .  https://www.lyriczz.com/lyrics/doris-akers/167388-sweet,-sweet-spirit/    

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Gwod wants you to wake up early because reasons 

Hide contents

How to Have a Great Morning

September 11, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Etiquette starts in the early morning when you awaken and give glory to God by praising Him for another day and His beautiful sunrise. He has been merciful to allow the world that is so full of evil desires to continue to spin another day. He is doing that in hopes that the lost will find His goodness. We must praise God for His patience and pray to imitate this patience with every human or situation that we come in contact with each day, even to our animals. We awaken with joy, and then we extend joy. If we find it hard to awaken early, then go to bed early, for the evening is less productive and the morning is extremely productive with a lot more time for the Spirit of God to guide you into good for the day.

We must not get out of bed until we pray to live a life that will salt the Earth all day. This prayer is with praise, and then directed love—to bring joy to our fellow man, which is the Kingdom work of God. This joy will come from the heart and give a morning smile to the face and a gentle, quiet, cheerful disposition to all around. For many there will be a need for mercy, patience and service for those around you—knowing that the world is only still in existence because of the extraordinarily deep patience of God.

I wonder what impact this might have upon the schedule of members of Remnant Fellowship . Like , aren't the membership kept busy for hours completing tasks for the cult ?  If so , I don't see how they can get a good night's sleep , and then be refreshed by early morning .  I am trying to figure out just how extreme they are , in terms of time control , and sleep deprivation , both of which are things that cults do to those under their undue influence , as it pertains to behavior control .   

Deprive you of seven to nine hours of sleep  ,  Restrict leisure time and activities 

https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/  

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Marmion said:

I wonder what impact this might have upon the schedule of members of Remnant Fellowship . Like , aren't the membership kept busy for hours completing tasks for the cult ?  If so , I don't see how they can get a good night's sleep , and then be refreshed by early morning .  I am trying to figure out just how extreme they are , in terms of time control , and sleep deprivation , both of which are things that cults do to those under their undue influence , as it pertains to behavior control .   

From my experience, I didn't see any of that. Yes, members were kept busy with something that was related in someway to RF... but I don't recall it ever looking like they were being intentionally (or even unintentionally) sleep deprived. People who were more deeply involved may offer a different explanation. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

From the devotional that @AmazonGrace posted, by Gwen Shamblin Lara (leader of the Remnant Fellowship anorexia-glorifying cult):

We must not get out of bed until we pray to live a life that will salt the Earth all day.

It's a minor point, but I really want to teach Gwen that there's a big difference between being the salt of the earth and salting the earth. Just because both sayings have the word "salt" in them, it doesn't mean that they mean the same thing. To quote someone whose writing I respect infinitely more than Gwen Shamblin Lara's (leader of the Remnant Fellowship anorexia-glorifying cult):

Spoiler

mark-twain-quote.jpg.ce256ecb78a32d1304ce1fec4f234734.jpg

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
added a space
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

46 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

From the devotional that @AmazonGrace posted, by Gwen Shamblin Lara (leader of the Remnant Fellowship anorexia-glorifying cult):

It's a minor point, but I really want to teach Gwen that there's a big difference between being the salt of the earth and salting the earth. Just because both sayings have the word "salt" in them, it doesn't mean that they mean the same thing. To quote someone whose writing I respect infinitely more than Gwen Shamblin Lara's (leader of the Remnant Fellowship anorexia-glorifying cult):

That's for sure.  "Salting the earth, or sowing with salt, is the ritual of spreading salt on conquered cities to symbolize a curse on their re-inhabitation."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 3

57 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Hide contents

mark-twain-quote.jpg.ce256ecb78a32d1304ce1fec4f234734.jpg

I think "salting the earth" is far more accurate than "being the salt of the earth" for Gwen Shamblin Lara.

Although I suspect about all she knows about salt is how to lick it off a potato chip. 

Also, Gwen says

for the evening is less productive and the morning is extremely productive

Really? For everyone?

The evening is when I get my best ideas and work on my most creative projects. Mornings? My absolute worst time of day. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I think "salting the earth" is far more accurate than "being the salt of the earth" for Gwen Shamblin Lara.

Although I suspect about all she knows about salt is how to lick it off a potato chip. 

Also, Gwen says

Really? For everyone?

The evening is when I get my best ideas and work on my most creative projects. Mornings? My absolute worst time of day. 

It’s so different for everyone. I can be productive in the morning and early evening. But I’m shit in the afternoon and late evening right before bed. I’ve always been this way. Yet again Gwen assumes everyone is just like her.

• Upvote 11

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s so different for everyone. I can be productive in the morning and early evening. But I’m shit in the afternoon and late evening right before bed. I’ve always been this way. Yet again Gwen assumes everyone is just like her.

And what's sad is that her followers think they SHOULD be like her.

If they're not at all productive in the mornings, then it's because they didn't fully give their day to God the second they woke up...

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Blue said:

And what's sad is that her followers think they SHOULD be like her.

If they're not at all productive in the mornings, then it's because they didn't fully give their day to God the second they woke up...

Where in the world do you live?  Maybe you're in a different hemisphere than Gwen and everything is reversed due variations in the varying amounts of time in the different parts of the day.

"...the morning is extremely productive with a lot more time..."  I was not aware that mornings actually contain more time than the rest of the day.  The more you learn...

So maybe in your hemisphere, evenings contain a lot more time and mornings contain a lot less time.  It must be bipolar thing.  Just a theory.  ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • Thank You 1

I can’t decide whether Gwen misused ‘salting the earth’ merely because she is stupid, or because she subconsciously knows her cult does more harm than good and had a Freudian slip ?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic