IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 9: Perfecting Hypocrisy

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Another thing that seems eating-disorder-ish are her assumptions about what people would eat if they were not on WeighDown.

I mean, I don't disagree... but how many people eat five course meals for breakfast as a rule?

She thinks everyone is a binge eater and left to their own devices would eat all the food they can catch.

She makes many references to binges in her talks and by her own admission was a binge eater. She describes that time in her life in her earliest writing, going so far as to say that full to her meant having to lie down. So she HAS DEFINITELY taken her ED behaviors and capitalized on them. She said in her earlier writings that even 5 lbs overweight really distracted her, because she felt that she looked like a potato with toothpick legs. So there was also a lot of insecurity about her appearance. She tried in inject humor into the situation, but when I read it with a different perspective, I see a hurting individual who appealed to other hurting individuals and monetized that hurt and insecurity.

For me, focusing on the growl also meant practically sitting on my hands trying not to eat. If I didn't get that rumble in my gut, then how could I be SURE that it was OK for me to eat? It's VERY dysfunctional and most of my thoughts were on food; whether I was waiting to eat, trying not to eat, or trying not to eat too much.

Gwen is full of contradictions. On the one hand, she tells you not to focus on food and the body, but then she wants you to focus on the growl, which is essentially focusing on the body. Waiting for the growl and not feeling confident about hunger often causes one to focus MORE on food. She has sated that WD participants should not focus on the scale, but then she has also said that it is OK to be getting on the scales a lot in the beginning, which ultimately brings the participant's focus BACK to their body. 

Simply stated...Weigh Down is about eating as little as possible so that you can lose as much weight as possible in an effort to "please God".

Edited by freefromthin
punctuation
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

And where is @mirabilis?

Just my opinion, but I believe @mirabilis at least partially grew up locally, within RF.  I believe she is one of the older RF youth.  Her vernacular says so.  So many questions here, why would she seek out this thread if she had no concerns about Gwen Shamblin Lara's disturbing cult-y ways?  2 possible answers, she is one of Gwen's soldiers OR she really has questions and concerns.  Rest assured, @mirabilis, WD is the tool used to lure you into Remnant Fellowship Church.  It is the money making operation.  Gwen has an eating disorder and her way of denying the disorder is to claim that everyone feels this way.  As you have read in the prior posts, there are many different places you can seek treatment for your eating disorder.  Gwen's church merely reinforces your insecurities and unhealthy views of food.  There are also so many churches that you could get involved with that are kind and TRULY supportive of their members.  We are here for you if you need support when you choose to exit the unhealthy world of Gwen Shamblin Lara.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 8

On 9/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, Alisamer said:

I have to say, your name is making me wonder if you're trolling us, but I'm going to act as if you're not, for now.

As someone who has gone through a relatively brief period of anorexia mirabilis myself , and if you all will remember first referenced anorexia mirabilis in relation to the practices of Remnant Fellowship , I will admit that I somewhat resent possibly having gotten mocked by the new poster in question .  However , I also will note that the difference between Gwen Shamblin Lara and myself is that I won't act as if snarking on me is equivalent to reviling the Lord God . That's the difference between me and some egotistical personality cult leader .  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

@Marmion, I must have completely missed your discussion of anorexia mirabilis.  I've only heard of anorexia nervosa.  My eyes are definitely open to the reference and implication.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Insightful said:

@Marmion, I must have completely missed your discussion of anorexia mirabilis.  I've only heard of anorexia nervosa.  My eyes are definitely open to the reference and implication.

I had to go l look because I didn't remember it either. Here is the post by @Marmion  

• Thank You 6

7 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

For years you have grown in love with food by skipping growls and lusting and hiding chocolates or other favorite foods. 

Most people don't hide food, chocolates or otherwise. This is disordered thinking outside of the normal weight gain/loss cycle that people struggle with. Maybe I'm projecting but I've never felt the need to hide food. Sometimes I keep snacks in my sewing room because I don't want to share but it's not a secret. 

5 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I assume they're leaving out chefs and the like, who think about food for other people as it's their job.

I used to work for a luxury food importer and we talked about food all day long. Part of my job was to travel and eat and there a few dinners that I attended that lasted 8 hours. Companies would send samples for us to try so we ate all the time. We would attend food shows that were nothing but eating for 2 days. After 6 hours at the food show we would go out to dinner and eat every bite. And yet, both me and my boss were thin.

Baby Nova is the executive chef at a fine dining restaurant and most of our talk revolves around food. Menus, desserts, specials, what cheeses for the cheese plate, a special dinner party, etc. She spends hours and hours talking about food, preparing, sampling, and eating, and again, not fat.

Most is probably genetics but it goes to show that people who love food or have food-centric jobs aren't automatically a bunch of sad fatties with unhealthy eating habits. As usual, Gwen has absolutely no clue what shes talking about.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, Insightful said:

Just my opinion, but I believe @mirabilis at least partially grew up locally, within RF. 

I meant where is she, in the sense that she hit and run, with only one post, and is not responding to any of the subsequent comments. If she is genuine, I hope she is busy researching Gwen SHAMBLIN Lara and the eating disorder cult Remnant Fellowship, perhaps reading the Rick Ross site. I don't believe her username choice is coincidental. Either she has serious issues, or we are being trolled. Time will tell...

• Upvote 13

4 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Most people don't hide food, chocolates or otherwise. This is disordered thinking outside of the normal weight gain/loss cycle that people struggle with. Maybe I'm projecting but I've never felt the need to hide food. Sometimes I keep snacks in my sewing room because I don't want to share but it's not a secret. 

I totally agree... I most DEFINITELY put food in the top cupboard where the kids won't see it... but I'm not keeping the food a SECRET... I'm keeping the food SECURE so I can actually enjoy some of it ?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

Anyone calling Gwen Shamblin Lara "Ms Gwen" is very likely a Remnant Fellowship cult member.

4 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I meant where is she, in the sense that she hit and run, with only one post, and is not responding to any of the subsequent comments. If she is genuine, I hope she is busy researching Gwen SHAMBLIN Lara and the eating disorder cult Remnant Fellowship, perhaps reading the Rick Ross site. I don't believe her username choice is coincidental. Either she has serious issues, or we are being trolled. Time will tell...

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

29 minutes ago, NarcissismKills said:

Anyone calling Gwen Shamblin Lara "Ms Gwen" is very likely a Remnant Fellowship cult member.

I  noticed that early on, when I read her post.  My money would be on her being a member and thinking that FJ and other critics are ignorant, weak, inferior or whatever descriptive phrase they care to use. Either on her own, because she was directed and coached, with or without RF instructing her to troll us. She could view herself as superior and smarter than we are. she could present her gift to RF/Gwen and get approval.  I hope I'm making myself clear.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I  noticed that early on, when I read her post.  My money would be on her being a member and thinking that FJ and other critics are ignorant, weak, inferior or whatever descriptive phrase they care to use. Either on her own, because she was directed and coached, with or without RF instructing her to troll us. She could view herself as superior and smarter than we are. she could present her gift to RF/Gwen and get approval.  I hope I'm making myself clear.

Perhaps.

...Or he/she/whatever could simply be an idiot who just shot themselves in the foot. It’s amazing how their “bubble” nearly drains all traces of critical thinking and logic.

...Or he/she/whatever is just another troll. Either way, that individual got a ruse out of us. Not sure why but, there you go.

Edited by RFSurvivor_2
  • Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Briefly said:

Either on her own, because she was directed and coached, with or without RF instructing her to troll us. She could view herself as superior and smarter than we are. she could present her gift to RF/Gwen and get approval.  I hope I'm making myself clear.

Unless Remnant Fellowship has really changed how they handle “internet mockers,” I doubt she was directed to interact. The normal stance I recall was to not intervene and engage.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

Mirabilis' eyes are probably popping out of her head that a bunch of common sense on the internet could so easily refute the truth of god's prophet. That, or maybe a pigeon crossed her path and she interpreted it as a sign from god to stop posting.  With brainwashed Remnant members, you never really know why they do the stuff they do

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, NarcissismKills said:

When I started to be around RF members who call everyone "Miss FirstName" it drove me nuts... I was raised that a child using an adults first name is disrespectful, and it's just plain WEIRD to see grown adults (in their 20's) referring to people who are barely older than them as "Miss FirstName." But after talking to other friends who live in the South, it sounds like it's PARTIALLY a Southern thing. Like everything else, RF seems to take everything to extremes, but I don't think that's just a RF trait.

That being said... I don't know of ANYONE who would call her "Miss Gwen" unless they were in RF.

Edited by Blue
  • Upvote 12

53 minutes ago, Blue said:

When I started to be around RF members who call everyone "Miss FirstName" it drove me nuts... I was raised that a child using an adults first name is disrespectful, and it's just plain WEIRD to see grown adults (in their 20's) referring to people who are barely older than them as "Miss FirstName." But after talking to other friends who live in the South, it sounds like it's PARTIALLY a Southern thing. Like everything else, RF seems to take everything to extremes, but I don't think that's just a RF trait.

That being said... I don't know of ANYONE who would call her "Miss Gwen" unless they were in RF.

LOL! I actually HAVE referred to her as Ms. Gwen because I am from the south and she is old enough to be my mother. It's just the way that I was raised. It got to be pretty annoying to type out, so I stopped. 

I'm also interested in knowing whether or not we have someone trolling the thread. Not cool.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

38 minutes ago, freefromthin said:

LOL! I actually HAVE referred to her as Ms. Gwen because I am from the south and she is old enough to be my mother. It's just the way that I was raised. It got to be pretty annoying to type out, so I stopped. 

I'm also interested in knowing whether or not we have someone trolling the thread. Not cool.

Thank you for sharing that! There are quite a few things that really annoyed me about RF when I first encountered the group, but over the past 15 years I've slowly discovered that some of those things are more Southern and not necessarily RF characteristics. Where I'm from the only people that are called "Miss Firstname" are youth helpers... so the high school volunteer in my daughter's class is called "Miss Valerie" and when my oldest daughter volunteers in Sunday School, she's "Miss Allison," but it would be considered pretty improper for my kids to call ANY adult by their first name, even if they prefaced it with "Ms" or "Mr." It drives me nuts that my daughter's coach goes by "Coach Firstname" because it doesn't feel respectful.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Thank you for sharing that! There are quite a few things that really annoyed me about RF when I first encountered the group, but over the past 15 years I've slowly discovered that some of those things are more Southern and not necessarily RF characteristics. Where I'm from the only people that are called "Miss Firstname" are youth helpers... so the high school volunteer in my daughter's class is called "Miss Valerie" and when my oldest daughter volunteers in Sunday School, she's "Miss Allison," but it would be considered pretty improper for my kids to call ANY adult by their first name, even if they prefaced it with "Ms" or "Mr." It drives me nuts that my daughter's coach goes by "Coach Firstname" because it doesn't feel respectful.

As long as we prefaced the first name with something, i.e. Cousin So-and-so, or Uncle So-and-so, or Mr. So-and-so, we're good. Last names were more likely to be used in business situations or with people to whom we were not very close. When I joined the military, I hated the idea of using last names exclusively, but needs must...I eventually got used to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

Today we learn that WeighDown is the way to lose weight permanently, but it is also assumed that you already tried WeighDown and failed. 

Spoiler

— Main Menu —HOME ABOUT BOOKS- Receive Excerpts - See Full Collection TV- Remnant Fellowship TV - Weigh Down TV MEDIA DEVOTIONAL CONTACT 

The Time is Now

September 25, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

If you do not stop the diets, the gimmicks and the shortcuts, the next thing you know, you will find yourself throwing in the towel and you are back to bingeing again…and you wonder what in the world is wrong.

No one is getting younger. You are not here for temporary weight loss, but rather a lifestyle change…you are done forever with pain and exhaustion, self-pity and depression. I know you are ready because you are even more aware that if you keep this up, you might have something worse happen to you and your health. In fact, we see this in the Book of John, Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” John 5:14

You did it before, you can do it again…and you did it by focusing only on God’s hunger and fullness—no distractions. It is time for self-denial. Finally, you have come to the right place because you cannot do this just for your own health and high energy—that is selfish—it must be done for the glory of the Lord. We are not talking about mere denial…we are talking about following the footsteps of Christ who only denied himself by the lead of the Father and for the glory of the Father. You can do this! Let us do this for the glory of God!

Eating disorders for the glory of God! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 11

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Today we learn that WeighDown is the way to lose weight permanently, but it is also assumed that you already tried WeighDown and failed.

This. Exactly!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

No one is getting younger. [snip] .... we see this in the Book of John, Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” John 5:14

This is an interesting scripture choice.  This gentleman had apparently been an invalid for 38 years, which made him already fairly advanced in age for those times.  So he'd been suffering, was cured, went to the Temple, and then was cautioned not to go back to sinning?  Was he sinning at the Temple?   And what is the something worse that could happen?  Oh, maybe being invalid *and* overweight.  There must be more to this story. 

I'd be a terrible RF member since I have questions (and a beer belly).

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

No one is getting younger. [snip] .... we see this in the Book of John, Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” John 5:14

This is an interesting scripture choice.  This gentleman had apparently been an invalid for 38 years, which made him already fairly advanced in age for those times.  So he'd been suffering, was cured, went to the Temple, and then was cautioned not to go back to sinning?  Was he sinning at the Temple?   And what is the something worse that could happen?  Oh, maybe being invalid *and* overweight.  There must be more to this story. 

I'd be a terrible RF member since I have questions (and a beer belly).

I am not a scholar. But the miracle of the man being cured was on a Sabbath and Jesus instructed the man to "Pick up your mat and walk" according to the law, it forbade people from carrying the mat (doing manual labor) so the leaders in the temple saw the carrying of the mat as a sin. Which is why Jesus told him to sin no more. I think what Jesus was telling him is to follow the laws otherwise the leaders will punish him. As with many that quote the bible, context matters and of course Gwen Shamblin Lara will not give the context otherwise it might not fit her narrative. John 5:8-14 NIV.

8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”

11 But he replied, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’ ”

12 So they asked him, “Who is this fellow who told you to pick it up and walk?”

13 The man who was healed had no idea who it was, for Jesus had slipped away into the crowd that was there.

14 Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” 15 The man went away and told the Jewish leaders that it was Jesus who had made him well.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

On 9/23/2019 at 12:36 PM, mirabilis said:

’ve had an eating disorder for a long time; I was raised in church (a Calvinist denomination, so much of RF’s earned salvation is kind of strange to me) and I love God very much

I got to thinking about this part of the post , and along with what others have pointed out here , it now seems suspicious . For one thing , I don't believe that too many whom base their theology on John Calvin refer to themselves as being Calvinist , lest others think that they are following a man , John Calvin , on the same level as Jesus Christ . It's sort of like how Muslims don't like it when others call them " Mohammedans "  . So usually it's just critics of their's that will refer to them as being Calvinist .  Typically they themselves refer to themselves as being Reformed .  And another thing I noticed is that Mirabilis's  directly referring to both " earned salvation " , as well as Calvinism , seems to be playing off of an exchange of comments between myself and one or two other posters in this thread .  So , while I could be wrong , I rather suspect that Mirabilis might have just read our thread on Remnant Fellowship , and decided to troll us , for whatever reason .  I think though that for this person to be from RF they'd have to be high ranking , as lower ranking members would be under a greater degree of information control . If Gwen weren't apparently concerned with doing damage control , I don't expect that any of her followers would have been permitted to seek out media generated by ex-members and critics , such as ourselves . 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I know you are ready because you are even more aware that if you keep this up, you might have something worse happen to you and your health. In fact, we see this in the Book of John, Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” John 5:14

This is yet another example of brainwashing , according to the BITE model of cult mind control . This time it falls under emotional control  .  

5. Instill fear, such as fear of: 
   a. Thinking independently 
   b. The outside world 
   c. Enemies 
   d. Losing one’s salvation 
   e. Leaving or being shunned by the group 
   f. Other’s disapproval 
8. Phobia indoctrination: inculcating irrational fears about leaving the group or questioning the leader’s authority 
   a. No happiness or fulfillment possible outside of the group 
   b. Terrible consequences if you leave: hell, demon possession, incurable diseases, accidents, suicide, insanity, 10,000 reincarnations, etc.
   c. Shunning of those who leave; fear of being rejected by friends, peers, and family 
   d. Never a legitimate reason to leave; those who leave are weak, undisciplined, unspiritual, worldly, brainwashed by family or counselor, or seduced by money, sex, or rock and roll 
   e. Threats of harm to ex-member and family 

This is what a Bible based religious cult   does , it twists scripture in order to generate fear , which is then used to control people through feelings of terror .  

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic