IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 9: Perfecting Hypocrisy

Coconut Flan

21 hours ago, freefromthin said:

she was submissive to her ex-husband when he wanted to sell a previous home and god gave her an even bigger one!

And then she was submissive to her ex, and so god gave her a new husband!  I'm sensing a pattern here.  I'm sure she and Joe deserve each other. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 3
  • Haha 1

Joe seems to be getting better at the "spiritual" chatter. I haven't been following them super-close but at first he seemed sort of awkward in the videos. Now he's getting the hang of it, having Gwen as his model and mentor. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 4
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, NarcissismKills said:

No feeding the hungry or clothing the poor here. A narcissistic cult run by a gaggle of narcissists.

But...the hungry are the Godliest! They are always feeling "the Growl"! Remnant's congregation is always meant to be hungry, you see, so why would they feed the hungry and tempt them with the evil that is food?

And of course, God is supposed to pick out your clothing. If he leads you to be unable to afford fancy ones, well then... how much did you eat last week, hmm?

I agree, this cult is terrible. They're the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a dark comedy, but they are real. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

I am sure you do not want to be tired anymore; you do not want pain anymore…the backache, the joint aches, headaches, heartburn, your feet hurt, knees, hips, heart fluttering, indigestion problems, loss of sleep… just overall exhaustion.

Well if everyone follows Gwen's advice they won't have any of these any longer because the will be dead. 

Side effects of not enough calories (from https://www.livestrong.com/article/423688-the-side-effects-of-lack-of-calories/ and https://www.livestrong.com/article/290452-side-effects-of-not-eating-enough-calories/ ) 

Gallstones, Immunity (lack there of), iron deficiency (fatigue), menstruation and pregnancy issues, low blood pressure, heart rhythm problems, digestive problems, hair loss, brittle fingernails, trouble concentrating, loss of coordination, decreased muscular strength, anemia and joint swelling. Your thyroid may also be affected, and you may feel cold all the time, with lower energy levels and increased depression.

And I want to point this one out specifically (my bolding):

Metabolism and Weight Loss

Although it may seem counterintuitive, eating too few calories can make your body think it's in starvation mode and actually lose metabolism-boosting muscle and hold onto fat intead (sic), sabotaging your weight-loss efforts. It causes your metabolism slow down overall and can make it harder to lose weight in the future.

Gwen Shamblin Lara of Remnant Fellowship, Weigh Down and Brentwood, TN is destroying people's lives with her diet advice and horrible "theology". 

• Upvote 7

On the Naugler thread I brought up Maslow. Gwen is teaching everyone to ignore the bottom rung of Maslow's Hierarchy but bet at Esteem, Cognitive, Aesthetic and self-actualization needs. 

maslow.png.fd11f3aab74f39581944462219707d91.png

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

His hair reminds me of someone.

Ha ha!  I was thinking Michael is taking after his dad.  I wonder if Michael's wife (Erin? Elle?) is scheming to get him recategorized as a non-covenant husband.  (My goodness but I am full o' snark lately!)  Anyway, if Michael never hears the growl, what are the consequences in that cult?  I recall the tactic of hiding him behind other people or not taking photos at all, but does he get scolded, etc?  Was the photo from the Remnant website, or his personal page? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

Was the photo from the Remnant website, or his personal page?

This photo was taken from Remnant Fellowship member Miley Barcus' Instagram page, which is public. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Well if everyone follows Gwen's advice they won't have any of these any longer because the will be dead. 

Side effects of not enough calories (from https://www.livestrong.com/article/423688-the-side-effects-of-lack-of-calories/ and https://www.livestrong.com/article/290452-side-effects-of-not-eating-enough-calories/ ) 

And I want to point this one out specifically (my bolding):

Gwen Shamblin Lara of Remnant Fellowship, Weigh Down and Brentwood, TN is destroying people's lives with her diet advice and horrible "theology". 

It also causes rapid weight gain when you stop starving yourself and begin to try to eat normally. Your body wants to store up energy in case there's another "famine."  

• Upvote 8

So everyone else gets kicked out if they sin too much, but Michael still gets the music gig and the big house and the constant dining out on his mom’s tab ? I still feel sorry for him and wish he could find his way to freedom. But he continues to stay year after year. Maybe he likes the blessings he gets from his mommy for being complicit. At this point, he is just another example of the staggering hypocrisy of the Remnant inner circle. 

Edited by throwaway9988
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

To be hungry is an EVIL DESIRE  and eating HURTS.

Spoiler

Direction from Within

September 21, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Now you know there is no more white-knuckling it—but rather direction from within. Thru prayer and reaching out in surrender, you will finally connect that if you eat one more bite, you are going to be in pain. Now, stopping when you are full is more obtainable because of the fear of the pain of the past. In time and with repetition, your memory overrides the evil desire. Do you see the difference? The source of your self-control comes from within. Instead of “I have to just stop eating this,” it is “I do not want it anymore because it hurts.” This is the beginning of the end. Look how different you are. No longer do you blame God, your metabolism, your mother, your spouse or your circumstances. So much good has come from your previous WeighDown classes. You used to want to crawl in bed and cry yourself to sleep, but now you are different—no more self-pity or depression. God loves you, and He has done a mighty work inside of you. It is more powerful because you are not just going to take a WeighDown class and walk away—you know down deep that a foot cannot say to a hand, “I have no need of you” (I Corinthians 12:15-21)…you have already tried that and now you have the chance to join up with an Army of praying, God-fearing Saints seeking His will for their day, and that is going to make a huge difference.

If you starve yourself long enough, I'm sure eventually it will become true and eating will become suffering

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. How can RF members listen to Gwen go on and on about food, weight, and god while neither of her children are average weights? You would think that people would realize “hey maybe this isn’t healthy” when they see one child very thin and the other one who has gained weight in the last few years. That’s so hard to ignore. But hey, they ignored David Shamblin for years so the cognitive dissonance is strong in this cult. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

“hey maybe this isn’t healthy” when they see one child very thin and the other one who has gained weight in the last few years.

Back on March 3 (in Thread 6), @Fashion Forward posted photos of Michael and Elizabeth, which really emphasizes the different body types and weights of the two siblings.  

I've been going through old family photos, and it is really striking to see genetics in action on the body types through the years.  Despite what Gwod proclaims:  Look how different you are. No longer do you blame God, your metabolism, your mother, your spouse or your circumstances.  I do think Michael can blame genetics just a little bit for having a different body type.  It's too bad that Gwen has revolved an entire cult lifestyle around holy thinness, then tries to disguise the fact that one of her own children is slightly outside her crazy norm.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Back on March 3 (in Thread 6), @Fashion Forward posted photos of Michael and Elizabeth, which really emphasizes the different body types and weights of the two siblings.  

I've been going through old family photos, and it is really striking to see genetics in action on the body types through the years.  Despite what Gwod proclaims:  Look how different you are. No longer do you blame God, your metabolism, your mother, your spouse or your circumstances.  I do think Michael can blame genetics just a little bit for having a different body type.  It's too bad that Gwen has revolved an entire cult lifestyle around holy thinness, then tries to disguise the fact that one of her own children is slightly outside her crazy norm.

Gwen also seems to vilify regular workouts. What if Michael needs regular daily exercise in a gym to help maintain his weight? What if Michael did better eating larger portions of vegetable and lean protein heavy meals? But Gwen is always pushing the idea you can eat small bits of junk food and maintain your weight. Practically no one could live by her plan. I’m sure many of her followers break a lot of her rules and that’s why a lot of them are average weights. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

It's ironic, too, how she has to keep harping on the food issue. Her original promise back in the day was that if you followed the program, as her famous saying goes, food would lose its magnetic pull on you, and you'd be in the Promised Land where you didn't even think about food and dieting. Staying thin would come naturally. It doesn't seem to have worked that way for some of them, even Gwen. If anybody was ever obsessed with food and eating, it's her.

And, yeah, exercise. It has been shown that exercise doesn't cause weight loss. But that doesn't mean exercise is useless and bad. It's good for your physical and mental health in so many different ways.

• Upvote 12

9 hours ago, ManyGoats said:

It's ironic, too, how she has to keep harping on the food issue. Her original promise back in the day was that if you followed the program, as her famous saying goes, food would lose its magnetic pull on you, and you'd be in the Promised Land where you didn't even think about food and dieting. Staying thin would come naturally. It doesn't seem to have worked that way for some of them, even Gwen. If anybody was ever obsessed with food and eating, it's her.

And, yeah, exercise. It has been shown that exercise doesn't cause weight loss. But that doesn't mean exercise is useless and bad. It's good for your physical and mental health in so many different ways.

This has remained her promise in recent classes. The thing that I found interesting was that people who were coordinating classes and had "weight loss testimonies" in which they were supposedly "free from the pull of food" would still be reporting weight loss during the classes. some of them were really thin. Several expressed having consistent thoughts about food and having to "avoid eating" at times when they really "wanted to eat". One individual boasted about how they were at a family gathering and other family members were large and were just eating and they (the righteous WD'er) were abstaining. They would often speak about passing the "pizza test" of the "insert restaurant name here" test. Many reported FAILING tests regarding food and one person did not even keep food in the house unless they were planning to eat it. Because the message of WD is "transfer a relationship with food over to a relationship with God", people who fail to "make the transfer" are ofteb left feeling very guilty.

Staying thin doesn't happen for most people, and you will often hear of longtime WD'ers regaining weight and then doing something drastic (one woman fasted for 30 days) in an effort to get it off. If you have followed the group for any length of time, you can find people who were once featured on various TV shows who have since regained much of their weight, despite making professions that they believed that the weight loss was permanent.  The You Can Overcome shows are all on YouTube and fasting is a topic that can readily be found. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

You should  eat tiny bites of unhealthy foods off a saucer and feel guilty about it. A 2000 calorie diet is bingeing, you need only 300.

Spoiler

Flying Above the Scales

September 22, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

God is doing something new for those who are coming to Him once again… His Spirit is pouring down and providing a breakthrough. Let us start with laying down the scales—get a beginning number, but just use the scales occasionally because the trend that we are measuring is the dependency on God. It is not about a number…it is about getting that internal control and Connection to God so that you are guided and are flying above the scales. When you get off the scales, you will let go of the tricks and gimmicks you have used to keep the scales down. When you let go of the number, you will let go of fasting and laxatives and all the other tricks as well as the depression and bummed-out feeling. Even if you have binged—maybe you have eaten 2,000 calories when you only needed 300 calories—focus on God, repentance and hunger and fullness…that is all you have to focus on. And by all means, stop the diets, and it will stop the panicky feeling inside and you will stop the binge. One source of panic is coming from man-made diet foods and the feeling that you are not going to get what you want when you want it…Start over, wait for hunger, close your eyes and think inside you, “What do I really want and need for good health and energy? What sounds good?” After all, we are ending the pain. Now remember the rules for the Zone of hunger and fullness…put the selected food on a saucer, take smaller bites, sip between bites and pray, pray, pray. Stay connected to the inside of you with no diversions.

• Upvote 3
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 4

On 9/18/2019 at 9:05 PM, WeirdHarold said:

He picks her up and spins her around a ridiculous amount of times. It is like they are perpetually trying to reenact some sort of romance movie scene but all it does is look very fake. They are trying way, way too hard to convince people they are deeply in love. 

Speculation,  I think Gwen is very insecure about her height. That is why she wears super high heels at all times and hair that ads a couple of inches. 

On 9/21/2019 at 6:26 AM, AmazonGrace said:

Thru prayer and reaching out in surrender, you will finally connect that if you eat one more bite, you are going to be in pain. Now, stopping when you are full is more obtainable because of the fear of the pain of the past.

Becoming afraid of food and eating is the last thing you want to do when learning healthy eating habits, Gwen has such a warped view of food. I think she really is afraid of eating. 

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

What do I really want and need for good health and energy?

Spoiler Gwen! It isn't a diet coke. If you start craving one it isn't because you actually need it, it is because you are a diet coke addict, so much so you won't even give it up when you fast.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, freefromthin said:

This has remained her promise in recent classes. The thing that I found interesting was that people who were coordinating classes and had "weight loss testimonies" in which they were supposedly "free from the pull of food" would still be reporting weight loss during the classes. some of them were really thin. Several expressed having consistent thoughts about food and having to "avoid eating" at times when they really "wanted to eat". One individual boasted about how they were at a family gathering and other family members were large and were just eating and they (the righteous WD'er) were abstaining. They would often speak about passing the "pizza test" of the "insert restaurant name here" test. Many reported FAILING tests regarding food and one person did not even keep food in the house unless they were planning to eat it. Because the message of WD is "transfer a relationship with food over to a relationship with God", people who fail to "make the transfer" are ofteb left feeling very guilty.

Staying thin doesn't happen for most people, and you will often hear of longtime WD'ers regaining weight and then doing something drastic (one woman fasted for 30 days) in an effort to get it off. If you have followed the group for any length of time, you can find people who were once featured on various TV shows who have since regained much of their weight, despite making professions that they believed that the weight loss was permanent.  The You Can Overcome shows are all on YouTube and fasting is a topic that can readily be found. 

I can remember when 1000 calories was the magic number for weight loss(late 70s/early 80s), and trying to stick to that in my mid-teens.  Not. pretty.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

Start over, wait for hunger, close your eyes and think inside you, “What do I really want and need for good health and energy? What sounds good?

This is a trick question, right?  My answer:  chocolate, Doritos, popcorn...  I guess these are ok with prophetess Gwen, as long as you only nibble. 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

He picks her up and spins her around a ridiculous amount of times. It is like they are perpetually trying to reenact some sort of romance movie scene but all it does is look very fake.

Yep.  I was getting a little nauseous watching all that twirling.  It was pretty fascinating watching her hairdo stay in place.  Must take tons of shellacking. 

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Start over, wait for hunger, close your eyes and think inside you, “What do I really want and need for good health and energy? What sounds good?

This is a trick question, right?  My answer:  chocolate, Doritos, popcorn...  I guess these are ok with prophetess Gwen, as long as you only nibble. 

I reckon that in Gwenworld,  Doritos are probably preferable to "man made diet food"... No cauliflower shakes for Gwennie. 

I'm not sure why junk food would be less man made but this is a cult, leave your brains at the door please.

If you want to play it safe, IFritos are biblical 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

48 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Yep.  I was getting a little nauseous watching all that twirling.  It was pretty fascinating watching her hairdo stay in place.  Must take tons of shellacking. 

She's insecure about her height so she wears her hair in that ratty pile on top of her head. Sheesh! I'd rather look short than ridiculous.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic