IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 38: What Can They Shill Next?

Coconut Flan

24 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

This is one Born Again idiot holding forth about Catholicism being Satanic.  Please note that he gets a hell of a lot of things wrong about what Catholics actually believe.   https://www.born-again-christian.info/roman-catholics.htm

That was comical!!

• I Agree 1

We were just talking today about how great it is that several churches in our town come together to help the community. We take turns housing the homeless in winter, providing warm clothing, assisting a refugee family with their needs, etc. We don't judge how "Christian" they are. That is what Jesus said, feed the hungry. He didn't specify that you must be the right kind of Christian...and anyway, he was Jewish.

These Fundies. SMH.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, LacyMay said:

I honestly have no doubt that right now what they are doing is useful, I'm sure they have helped people I'm sure some locals appreciate that they are there. I also agree that they likely have the best of intentions and they genuinely believe they are being the hands and feet of Jesus and doing good works. 

But it's not a question of CAN they be there doing good works *but* SHOULD they be there doing good works? 

I'm sorry but ... we don't know what they are actually doing.

I honestly do not doubt that right now they think that what they are doing is useful.  They made a huge publicity deal about getting there ahead of the crowd to do -- uncoordinated what?

Get in the way?  Or provide needed services?

It is vaguely possible that with JD's plane and the helicopter Nathan was flying in they did manage to evacuate a few people.  And those few people are undoubtedly grateful.  And I am sure we will see photos and videos of Duggar and Bateses ministering to them - if it ever happened.  They obviously seek publicity for what they do in Jebus name.

But how much did the Ds and Bs interfere with other better coordinated efforts and clutter up runways and landing pads?   

I don't know.  How about we look at and praise the REAL relief efforts.  Like the US Coast Guard who are working around the clock.  And all the other far more qualified people who are there not seeking attention.

Not the fly-by-night do-gooders who think the Gospel is infinitely more important than relief.  That is their own words.

If the Duggar and Bates pilots and the "trained" firefighters, EMTs and EMRs, and so on, had  volunteered with established organisations before setting up their own I would have more time for them.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

@Palimpsest I think I've been fairly clear that I don't think they should be there and it isn't beneficial. That said I should have better clarified that when I said being useful I meant it fairly liberally (ie not twiddling their thumbs or sitting in a hotel room watching the evil TV) 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

@Palimpsest I think I've been fairly clear that I don't think they should be there and it isn't beneficial. That said I should have better clarified that when I said being useful I meant it fairly liberally (ie not twiddling their thumbs or sitting in a hotel room watching the evil TV) 

Yes, you have been very clear.  Much love for your contributions,   I'm sorry if my last post appeared not to appreciate that. 

But we need to keep clear eyes on what the Duggars and Bateses are claiming to do, and their lack of real qualifications.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

I just want to make one thing clear to those that don't know. The Bates are a shinier more dangerous version of the Duggar's. Gil Bates (father) is high up on the board of IBLP.  Lawson Bates has a head so big it needs its own zip code. There is no way he is going to take direction from others especially not a women. I think the same is true for most of the other men in that group. 

None of the 8 adults belong there. They don't have skills that are useful. They are playing white savior and getting head pats from fans.  If they had tried to go in later, they would have been told fuck no. They knew that. That's why they landed so soon after the hurricane had left. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

I just want to make one thing clear to those that don't know. The Bates are a shinier more dangerous version of the Duggar's. Gil Bates (father) is high up on the board of IBLP.  Lawson Bates has a head so big it needs its own zip code

I thought that but the picture of a smilling Nathan Bates providing dental care to a child filled me with enough white hot rage that the Duggars looked positively humble and attractive in comparison. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

If Nathan and JD had flown in with no one else and nothing but bottled water, I would be happy to give them the benefit of the doubt. They could then find out what is needed and then either help fly supplies/rescue personnel to where needed, evacuate people as needed or fly back home and fill up with a shopping list of what is actually needed before flying back to the Bahamas. 

Not fly in with 6 others and entitlement 

• Upvote 13

Because he is a a white male fundie who does it for Jesus and found a scam organization that will let him do it. This is why it matters who goes into disaster areas to help. 
Nathan has some emergency responder  basic training but nothing that come close to qualifying him to do dental work. 

At this stage I don't even know why I bother asking any more. It's not so much rhetorical as it is infuriating. [emoji37] It's just so upsetting that vulnerable people will be scammed and hurt by these idiots and I don't know what to do. Or if anything can be done.
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I keep hoping one day these clowns will show their asses publicly, so people will stop thinking they’re harmless. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SadieJane said:

They are home. Their request to mission must have been denied.

And their story will be something like: we did as much as the donations allowed us to. Please donate MORE.

• Upvote 7

Sadly true. What it will mean though is " we stayed in this hotel room in Nasau for as long as we could, on your donated dime, and taking room away from those who had no shelter, just to argue with the government to allow us to pander Jesus.

• Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

Have we actually seen pictures of them doing any work? Or just selfies in front of airplanes?

+Being interviewed by as many news reporters as they could find.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

The problem with do gooders is that they often do more harm than good. We had a bunch of churches in my town start going to local community parks to hand out food to the homeless. They’d hand out the food & leave - the homeless would leave trash everywhere & linger & tell their friends. So the do gooders turned what used to be safe neighborhood parks with an occasional transient wandering through into unsafe havens for hordes of homeless. I grew up here and watched it happen. The churches would have done more good to donate to agencies already feeding the homeless in established venues or at least handing out the food in their church parking lots & dealing with the trash they created and the hordes who descended rather than creating a nuisance in places where there hadn’t been a problem before their ‘good works.’

I suspect the reason extreme religious do gooders cause untintended consequences is because they engage in a lot of magical thinking. Their beliefs don’t encourage rational or logical thinking, thus they react and act. The Duggars and Bates w/ their TV money and fame haven’t had to develope analytical skills - they want something, they pray for it, they get it & when they don’t, in their world view it’s not because they failed to take the steps they needed to take - it’s because Jesus didn’t want them to have it or Satan made it go wrong. 

The Bates and the Duggars have money - if they genuinely wanted to help they’d donate their money to organizations who could truly help. They’d use their influence to encourage their followers to do the same.

Why didn’t they do that? Could it be that their little egos wouldn’t get a hit of white savior juice from just donating money? Could it be more fun to hop in their hobby planes and wing on down there and be lookie loos? Could it be they thought people who’d just survived being pounded for hours by a cat 5 hurricane would be vulnerable and easy marks for their evangelism so they could preach and convert and add countless notches to their total number saved pelt?

They flew down, never made it near the Abacos, but did make it onto the national news. Lot of good they did - not.

• Upvote 16
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, SadieJane said:

They are home. Their request to mission must have been denied.

Many apologies for being a cyber-challenged doofus, but how do we know they are home?

Or whose instagram? :)

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Or whose instagram?

Joy's Instagram story shows that Austin is home.

I think what bothers me too about all of this, and maybe this seems petty, is that they're not just going to these places to "help", they're going to preach. I feel like the last freaking thing people who have just survived a hurricane need is some dumb Americans bloviating to them about Jesus. Not to mention, it's likely that many of the people they're preaching to are Christians, just not the "right kind" of Christian. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I'm sure they'll make it all about them. They went there and did great work for Jesus. I'm surprised TLC didn't go with them, but maybe they took enough selfies for the show.

• Upvote 5

Regulations regarding where you can land a helicopter have more to do with local land zoning rules and local laws  than FAA rules. It would be interesting to know what the rules are for where they live.

• Upvote 2

That helicopter looks like it's from a DIY kit.

I would be pissed if I was his neighbor. Helicopters are loud af.

It wouldn't be as ridiculous if he landed at the tth but his neighborhood looks like a suburban neighborhood where the houses are basically on top of each other. How inconsiderate.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

On 9/7/2019 at 7:39 AM, formergothardite said:

And that attitude is what ended up with untrained Nathan practicing dental care on children in an area he flew to. Yes, it does matter what their motives are. It matters a great, great deal. 

This pisses me off so much, my daughter is busting her ass in college to get into dental school, she's got 3 years of undergad to go and 4 to 6 more YEARS of post graduate work that is 8 to 10 YEARS of education she'll have over $100k in debt at graduation because we can't afford to pay for her and her brother to go to college so we aren't paying for either of them sadly.  The you have jackasses like this that probably watched a few youtube videos thinks he can just go to some poor brown people and who cares if he hurts them or fucks up their teeth for life. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 3

I'm not a helicopter pilot. But that helicopter looked very close to that tree. I can think of no reason why he would need to land on his lawn other than showing off and causing a fuss.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Why was the police there?

"While this doesn't seem to be illegal, apparently a law enforcement officer who arrived soon afterwards discouraged photos around the aircraft.

No news source mentioned the Duggars in reporting the incident. The helicopter is registered to John David and/or Duggar Aviation LLC. Thanks to a temporary registration extension, that information is being obfuscated - possibly strategically. We have confirmed that the house is Josiah's and that 2 police cars arrived soon after landing."

9 hours ago, Cheetah said:

It seems Josiah landed the medic corp helicopter on his own lawn in Arkansas on Friday - 

Edited by squiddysquid
And since when are they allowed to fly helicopters?
  • Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic