IGNORED

Joy & Austin 29: RV Living

Coconut Flan

On 12/6/2019 at 8:58 AM, CrossingRivers said:

I’m here because of this video: 

1. No underlayment on the subfloor. Underlayment prevents the hardwood floors from warping from weather change. This isn’t a code requirement but it adds to the longevity of the floor. 

2. Installing the kitchen cabinets before the flooring is highly unusual and is a dick move against whoever will remodel the kitchen later. 

3. (Nothing to do with the floors) The children sanding the window casement without a mask. ? Has that house been tested for lead? 

I don't disagree with you but we are on our 3rd house that we own in 2 states (2 purchased as existing homes, one from a production style builder) and we have rented several others and aside from the house overseas that didn't come with cabinets in the kitchen all of the houses have had cabinets installed and then flooring. So while it is certainly nice to have cabinets installed after flooring it hasn't been the norm in my experience. 

As for inspections, our last home was purchased this past summer with a VA loan which we hadn't done before. We had to use a VA picked inspector. He did okay. There were some things that were missed though. My brother in law is a contractor and he checked things out for us and he too missed a few things (like of our three outlets on the outside back of the house 2 don't work). We did have a separate inspection done on some of the really big things though, like the roof and the HVAC system which hopefully will prevent an expensive surprise in the next year or two at least. There is a lot of pressure in a fast moving market to skip any inspections  not required or not make a lot of repair requests though. 

• Upvote 3

What? Austin is a pilot? 

This 1st photo Gideon looks so much like Austin, I thought it was Gideon. Kind of interesting things, she knows more about the dude she's known for 3 years than her parents know about her. 

• Upvote 13

Joy has known Austin since she was a little kid, so almost as long as she’s known her parents. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I always knew Gideon looked more like Austin than Joy, but this really drives it home.

They also seem to have the healthiest of relationships out of the married Duggar kids, imo. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

I will say, I like that Joy gave a list of things about Austin that shows his personality. Normally fundies just talk about how their spouse is so Godly. It’s a nice post that could have been written by a non-Fundy who enjoys their spouse’s individuality and quirks. Can you imagine if it was a Maxwell writing that post? We would learn how he likes his coffee and that he has read the Bible 500 times in his lifetime because it’s the only book he has read. 

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 12/11/2019 at 9:57 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

What? Austin is a pilot? 

Did you know that JD is a pilot too?!

That post is pretty good for a Duggar. I wonder why, on the duggar family blog, they used a picture of them with Annabell, when Joy herself did not post it on insta. 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Sis Robto said:

Did you know that JD is a pilot too?!

That post is pretty good for a Duggar. I wonder why, on the duggar family blog, they used a picture of them with Annabell, when Joy herself did not post it on insta. 

That is weird/tacky I'm sure Austin wants to be reminded with photos of his dead daughter on his birthday. I'm pretty sure he and Joy don't need reminder. If they posted them then by all means go ahead but if they don't then don't.  My personal rule is follow the lead of the most affected by the death, in this case that is Joy & Austin. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Gideon looks so much like Austin without a doubt, but in the last picture she posted he looks like Spurgeon.  I swear the Duggar genes are chameleon like.

• Upvote 4

Wow, I fully expected her birthday post to get a lot more negative comments.  "He is... He is... He was..."  It's a terribly written list of generic things.  Most of them are jobs he does (Pilot, farmer, contracter, flipper, EMT, camp staff...).  It reads like a very poorly written resume.  The rest are basic labels, (husband, dad, family man, fiddle player) a few random adjectives (athletic, outgoing), with one interesting factoid about his clothes. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Austin seems to be somewhat of a private person, we've not seen much of them on CO, Joy posts once every other week or so on Insta, he posts only on her birthday.  Maybe she purposely kept it vague, because he doesn't want his life out there, Joy is used to being out  there he's been her life since she was 5 years old, I think he's teaching her to be much less out there for the world too see. Because not everyone wants their life broadcast. 

• Upvote 5

Per Joy’s last ig posts, it looks like they have an actual tv in their house and don’t use just their computer like Jill and Derick. 

Also Joy didn’t seem to like her bangs, she always has a headband on now. 

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 1

I've wanted to ask Jill several times why they don't buy a TV instead of sitting around the computer.   

As for the bangs/fringe she had them cut on the long side a month ago, so I'm sure they need to be cut already so they are impossible to deal with. Bangs are a commitment if you aren't used to them you will hate them. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Per Joy’s last ig posts, it looks like they have an actual tv in their house and don’t use just their computer like Jill and Derick. 

Also Joy didn’t seem to like her bangs, she always has a headband on now. 

I saw her (in person) earlier today and she had a headband on. That's exactly what I've done whenever I have cut my bangs. 

I saw Joy with all the younger girls (Johanna down) and Gideon. Don't they need a man around?  Or are they allowed to go out without a man now?

1 hour ago, ati_escapee said:

I saw her (in person) earlier today and she had a headband on. That's exactly what I've done whenever I have cut my bangs. 

I saw Joy with all the younger girls (Johanna down) and Gideon. Don't they need a man around?  Or are they allowed to go out without a man now?

I thought Michelle had always gone out with kids without Jim Bob, but you would know more about it than I do.

I thought they had a tv too then later on in the clip they were all sitting around a laptop. Looks like Hannie is on the makeup train now. Not that I oppose make up for young teens. (Age appropriate of course). Just in this cult it just seems... off putting, like dressing up little girls, preaching to girls that they have to worry about their appearance, I don’t know. I just hope it’s her choice to experiment and play with makeup rather than an expectation. She is turning into one super pretty girl. I can see jinger and joy in her 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3ab7423d8dc6a9e6These are the photos for my above comment. So sorry I think I butchered the spoiler thing. I know I am supposed to put multiple photos under a spoiler... 

Spoiler

4EEF49CF-7661-4BF9-B85F-A731BC07D9BF.thumb.png.d6b2a99833730da44cfe3543945418d4.png

Spoiler

4EEF49CF-7661-4BF9-B85F-A731BC07D9BF.thumb.png.d6b2a99833730da44cfe3543945418d4.png

Spoiler

C0BB0DAC-B889-44C5-9B8D-249780E0215B.thumb.png.e3dfab6fa0f96ccff0a1e52126fc502f.png

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

C0BB0DAC-B889-44C5-9B8D-249780E0215B.thumb.png.e3dfab6fa0f96ccff0a1e52126fc502f.png

lol

4C487773-98B7-4B35-94C8-ED00A9540171.png

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Upvote 2

They’ve never needed a man to go out, just an ‘accountability partner’ who doesn’t have to be a man. I think they’ve lightened up on that anyway. I doubt Jana needs an accountability buddy every time she goes out to buy groceries or whatever. It’s usually the men they think need female supervision and not the other way around anyway.

• Upvote 6

I see Joy says  they did watch TV as children- they just didn’t have cable. I thought in  the early shows JB & M made a big thing that they did not watch TV - not with any caveats about old programmes or not cable.  So basically they were like lots of families where the parents limited their screen time to what they’d considered appropriate. Their USP was the amount of children- I guess they just made up other stuff to make themselves appear interesting.

(I may have got this wrong- did you have to have cable in the US to watch any real time TV?)

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

You don’t need cable to watch regular network television. Hell, I didn’t get cable until I was in my twenties and I was practically addicted to tv as a kid. I know a few people that refuse to get cable because of the cost.

If I remember correctly, the Duggar’s used to have a small TV they would pull out to watch shows the Duggars were on and once one of the girls had to cover part of the screen because of a Nike moment. I think the Duggars also had a VCR to watch Andy Griffith episodes which always seemed to me to be too racy for the Duggars with all that dating Andy and Barney were doing with different women and no accountability partners. 

• Upvote 8

56 minutes ago, socalrules said:

You don’t need cable to watch regular network television. Hell, I didn’t get cable until I was in my twenties and I was practically addicted to tv as a kid. I know a few people that refuse to get cable because of the cost.

If I remember correctly, the Duggar’s used to have a small TV they would pull out to watch shows the Duggars were on and once one of the girls had to cover part of the screen because of a Nike moment. I think the Duggars also had a VCR to watch Andy Griffith episodes which always seemed to me to be too racy for the Duggars with all that dating Andy and Barney were doing with different women and no accountability partners. 

I always find that funny. The Andy Griffith show is G rated. They even have an episode where Thelma Lou kisses Gomer on the cheek and he thinks they have to get married. Sure there is some lip kissing but that’s it. Guess that’s too much because they aren’t married. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/15/2019 at 6:55 AM, Idlewild said:

I see Joy says  they did watch TV as children- they just didn’t have cable. I thought in  the early shows JB & M made a big thing that they did not watch TV - not with any caveats about old programmes or not cable.  So basically they were like lots of families where the parents limited their screen time to what they’d considered appropriate. Their USP was the amount of children- I guess they just made up other stuff to make themselves appear interesting.

(I may have got this wrong- did you have to have cable in the US to watch any real time TV?)

They always said that they would occasionally watch shows like, I love Lucy or Andy Griffith. 

No, you've never needed cable to watch network TV, and for non Americans I'm not really sure how to explain what network TV is. You could always get a handful of channels with an antenna, so that would allow them to watch real time tv at no cost.

• Love 1

I've had cable and satellite before, but mostly use antenna.  Where I live we get a decent number of stations (I think we're up to 14-15 here), although when I was growing up we had only four.

But if you get a Roku TV which I don't think is any more expensive than a regular TV, and have an internet connection, you can get a ton of free channels through that.  I've become obsessed with YouTube.  Falling asleep to woodworking videos, restoration channels like My Mechanic, and Kitten Academy is so easy.

You can get even more if you are willing to pay per channel for things like HGTV and stuff.  My daughter pays for Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, and Netflix and shares her password with me.  Perfectly legal according to the current rules of those services.  I simply won't watch any show on Prime that costs money.  I reciprocate by sharing my PBS and PBS Kids password with her.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

When the kid's and Counting show started they said they watched little TV but originally they said they didn't have a TV. They had to hunt out an old set to watch the view, when Jim Bob and Michelle were on it. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:26 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

When the kid's and Counting show started they said they watched little TV but originally they said they didn't have a TV. They had to hunt out an old set to watch the view, when Jim Bob and Michelle were on it. 

I think sometimes they went to Deanna’s to watch. I seem to recall a clip where they showed all of them squeezing into their living room to watch themselves on TV.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic