IGNORED

Joy & Austin 29: RV Living

Coconut Flan

I guess Austin's house flipping business has gone down the shitter.

Edited by SPHASH
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 40
  • Love 2

These lawsuits are always interesting for me. I wonder how it passed inspection or if the buyer didn’t get an inspection. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

And another part that kills me about their religious claims.  Jesus first = not do the right thing, cut corners and rip people off?  Disgusting!

I also wouldn't trust their cars as far as I could throw them.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

Austin if he intentionally or unintentionally sold a house that had septic tank issues then he has damaged his reputation and will not be someone who people will want to do business with. From my dad's experience running a window company in the 90s I know people sometimes like to try make false claims to get money off the final price or call back years later and say the item is broke and it is your fault, so I'm not ruling that out either, the tank has been damaged later on and they have decided to sue, not saying this because I think Austin is a saint but because I know people are often quick to pass the blame on to others. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Is the process for becoming licensed an expensive/complex one? If this is how you make your living I don’t understand why you wouldn’t do it to give yourself some protection, even if you’re not bothered about your customers. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Is the process for becoming licensed an expensive/complex one? If this is how you make your living I don’t understand why you wouldn’t do it to give yourself some protection, even if you’re not bothered about your customers. 

I imagine the same reason fundies are known not to wear seatbelts: Jesus will look after them. 

• Upvote 3

In all fairness to Austin, most contractors weather house flipping or building new, do everything as cheaply as possible. My husband works in construction as a plumber and I get all kinds of stories of the crap Builders pull to cut costs. He said one builder straight up told him they build things good enough that they will last at least 1 to 2 years, to get past the home warranty. He said unless you are doing a custom build and are on site daily you are going to get shoddy work, done with shoddy supplies, and sold for maximum cost. The bones of the homes are crap, the pretty finishes are what sells a home. Its kind of like JinJer, a pretty package but absolute shit  on the inside.  

Not excusing him, but this is the conservative way, screw over anyone an everyone to make a buck, god loves profits. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

So he doesn’t have a contractor’s license? 

No, that would require him to pay money to the government, and they refuse to do that. 

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

But Austin is a Christian contractor! How dare anyone say that his work is shoddy in any way?

the bigger the fish symbol or word "christian" in a business logo, website or truck, the more likely I will never call that company. 

Edited by quiversR4hunting
grammer...I suck
  • Upvote 14
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 13

20 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

No, that would require him to pay money to the government, and they refuse to do that. 

And most likely allows him some creative reporting with his actual income. I wonder how many payments he accepts in cash.

• Upvote 5

I hate to be punitive, and I understand that many people across all socio-economic groups do whatever they can to pay as little as they can into the public coffers, but people like the Duggars, and Trump, who are loud and proud about their activities, really deserve to have the screws put to them.

*Lock them up*

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

So he doesn’t have a contractor’s license? 

Probably not.  And if he does his skills are still shitty.  Sorry I can't stop with the puns!

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Haha 8

I checked - Austin does not have a contractor’s license. His father had one that expired in 2004. None of the Duggars have them either. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 13

"contractor grade"... we found out EXACTLY what that meant after we built our house and replaced all our systems , including septic, within the first ten years... the windows twice,the roof....

And that was WITH a licensed contractor!

NO WAY I'd work with an unlicensed one!

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

But Austin is a Christian contractor! How dare anyone say that his work is shoddy in any way?

Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian explains it all

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

I’m kind of disappointed this scandal isn’t blowing up. It’s like nobody cares!! Though, it is nice not having to post catch up at the end of the day.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Oh yes, how dare we! After all he did pray about every decision he made. He and Joy (probably) prayed that God would help guide them through this process the cheapest way. Austin is a Christian contractor all right.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

57 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I’m kind of disappointed this scandal isn’t blowing up. It’s like nobody cares!! Though, it is nice not having to post catch up at the end of the day.

Well, he's not named Duggar and it isn't exactly a scandal.  Shoddy contractors and shitty flippers get sued all the time for fraud, misrepresentation and negligence.  It's a wonder it hasn't happened before.  Assuming it hasn't.

Never buy a flip but if you must have it, extreme due diligence is advised!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

As someone who has worked on a lot of construction defect cases, it is not really a scandal. Honestly, if you flip a home, are a general contractor or subcontractor on a construction project, you just have to assume you are likely to get sued even if your work is perfect. The bigger the project, the more likely it will occur. As long as he had a general liability policy, which anyone involved in repairs or construction should have, it’s not really a problem. The lawyers will take care of it and he shouldn’t have to worry. If they settle, which is what happens in most cases, the insurance company will pay out and Austin’s premiums just go up. I wouldn’t stress about it if I had adequate insurance. Also, if the insurance company defends him in the case, he doesn’t even have to pay his attorney as the insurance company will appoint one for him. I just wonder if he had insurance and if it was adequate. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 8

27 minutes ago, socalrules said:

As someone who has worked on a lot of construction defect cases, it is not really a scandal. Honestly, if you flip a home, are a general contractor or subcontractor on a construction project, you just have to assume you are likely to get sued even if your work is perfect. The bigger the project, the more likely it will occur. As long as he had a general liability policy, which anyone involved in repairs or construction should have, it’s not really a problem. The lawyers will take care of it and he shouldn’t have to worry. If they settle, which is what happens in most cases, the insurance company will pay out and Austin’s premiums just go up. I wouldn’t stress about it if I had adequate insurance. Also, if the insurance company defends him in the case, he doesn’t even have to pay his attorney as the insurance company will appoint one for him. I just wonder if he had insurance and if it was adequate. 

Insurance doesn't cover poor workmanship, only property damage that results from that work.  While the negligence counts will get him a defense if he has a policy, he could still be on the hook for quite a bit, assuming the claims have merit.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I was in college I brought my Jewish friend home for Easter. She had so much fun because we did an egg hunt. Something she had never done. Good times.

Tip for getting the college kids to do Egg Hunts: slip a 20 in one of those plastic eggs...

We used to have everyone assigned to a color... they'd hunt like mad, knowing there was cash to be had...

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Tip for getting the college kids to do Egg Hunts: slip a 20 in one of those plastic eggs...

We used to have everyone assigned to a color... they'd hunt like mad, knowing there was cash to be had...

We didn’t actually need money to tempt us. I come from a horribly competitive family. The prize is bragging rights for the next year. That’s worth more than 20 bucks in the Jermajesty family ;)

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic