IGNORED

Joy & Austin 29: RV Living

Coconut Flan

38 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@Georgiana I'm pretty sure that the work done on Ben & Jessa's home was done as "surprise/gift" while they were on their honeymoon. The kitchen, dining area and living room & bathroom were all remodeled, and I think the master bedroom as well, that only left the spare room, it is a TINY house do it didn't take much work. The mold came later I think, and was maybe from a bad roof? Or did I just pull that out of my ass? 

You could be correct! My memory is pretty fuzzy, but I remember both Jill and Jessa’s homes needed work when they moved in.

Either way, I’m just not on board with privileged people who are given things by their families acting like they accomplished something on their own. And I’m from a family who has similar means, but I’m honest about when I’m given something vs worked for it. You didn’t start from the bottom if you received a large inheritance because that’s not the bottom. You didn’t get into an Ivy League college on your own if you’re a legacy, you got a boost from your family (and likely their money). And you didn’t buy a house if your family gave it to you and all you paid for was the paperwork.

Because there are people out there who genuinely start from the bottom, work their way into great colleges, and save up to buy homes. It’s dishonest in my book to portray yourself as having accomplished something when you didn’t accomplish it, you were handed it. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

My mother in law gave us the down payment, I still say we bought a house because we pay the mortgage and did all the Renos. I have a family friend who bought his grandmother’s House via private mortgage and he paid a small amount up front and then a monthly sum. He still bought the house. 

A lot of times, deals are made behind the scenes and in this case, it might be a trade off for all the years joy appeared on the show and also with the caveat she and Austin pay for the Renos.

maybe because I live in an area with crazy real estate prices but I don’t know anyone who bought their house without any parental help, whether it be years of living at home rent free or cash help. But most don’t advertise it and still take pride in the ownership (and the mortgage, etc)

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 10

I know several people who brought the houses they were raised in from their parents. I live in a very nice area with good schools and good location to many things. One of them wouldn’t  been able to afford a house if she hadn’t brought the house from her mother. 

• Upvote 2

Surely this is the most shocking, unexpected news to come from the Duggar family in a decade. 

Pilots??? Both of their husbands? I'm not convinced this is real. Is Pickles behind this? 

(Is this Joy trolling or does she genuinely think people don't know/this is a "Fun fact!!"?) 

Edited by HideousGreenShirt
Additional thought
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 9

On 11/18/2019 at 1:42 AM, bal maiden said:

Wait, we're giving them a pass on this, because Joy had a stillbirth?

Well, that and because Joy was forced to forgive and continue living with the brother who molested her.

• Upvote 10

On 11/23/2019 at 2:56 AM, squiddysquid said:

John David is a pilot too??

I was going to post the same.  John David?  A pilot?  

I swear this is never going to be not funny.  

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 11/21/2019 at 10:23 AM, CanadianMamam said:

maybe because I live in an area with crazy real estate prices but I don’t know anyone who bought their house without any parental help, whether it be years of living at home rent free or cash help. But most don’t advertise it and still take pride in the ownership (and the mortgage, etc)

I bought my house without parental or grandparental help.  My grandparents gifted all their grandchildren homes except for me and my sister (and still helped pay for my sister's college, but not mine).

Women who aren't heterosexually married don't get free homes in my family.

So I moved away from my toxic family and bought my own house.  I am proud of that.  I never intend on my wife meeting my relatives.

Edited by raspberrymint
wording
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 34

We bought our apartment with good help from the bank, but no help from anyone else. When we sold it and moved to the country we could buy our little house with the profit. If my parents could I’m sure they would have given us all homes. They have never been high earners but they have always helped us with everything they have been able to, sometimes money but mostly their time. My husband says I’m a bit spoiled but I intend to do exactly the same for Miniway. What my parents have always given me is a sense of security. I know they support me and have my back, always.

I somehow doubt that is the feeling Joy gets from her parents. 

Edited by Iamtheway
A word disepeared.
  • Upvote 15
  • Love 11

18 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

I bought my house without parental or grandparental help.  My grandparents gifted all their grandchildren homes except for me and my sister (and still helped pay for my sister's college, but not mine).

Women who aren't heterosexually married don't get free homes in my family.

So I moved away from my toxic family and bought my own house.  I am proud of that.  I never intend on my wife meeting my relatives.

Not really directed to you @raspberrymint just on the same topic, however I do agree you should be proud of yourself ?

Maybe it's the area I live in but we bought our first house with our help at 25 and 26 years old and that's fairly normal around here. It's not fancy it's a 3 bed 2 bath ranch out on the outskirts of an old river town but it was well kept and we have updated it quite a bit for resale value. I don't know many people whose had help getting a house. However it doesn't bother me if someone does have help and doesn't advertise it i figure it's not really my business ?‍♀️

I don't like the Duggars but Joys parents potentially gifting her a house? Eh she probably deserves it after growing up on camera. Her saying that they "bought" it? Im not sure it was a dubious lie, she probably just said it without thinking plus they do have to put a lot of work into it. I get the irritation some people have about the situation though. 

• Upvote 5

My parents "gave us" $2k for closing costs on our 1st home. I say "gave" because my husband and I painted the exterior of their 3200 square foot house. DH did most of the work, I only painted what I could reach from the ground as I was pregnant, so no ladders for me.  We had the money for the down payment but not the down payment AND the closing costs, and we wanted to move before baby, as I got pregnant about 6 months before I planned on it. That was the only help we got, and that was to get out of our 1 bedroom apartment before DS was born. This was also 1997 and the house we paid $95k for is now worth $130k, homes were much cheaper 22 years than they are now. Even in my podunky little Iowa town.  

• Upvote 5

It will be interesting to see how TLC addresses the Forsyth house  (besides having an episode devoted to the house purchase, sisters decorating the home, and brothers moving all the stuff). Will they go with the deceptive "Joy and Austin worked hard flipping houses until they could afford to buy their own" or a simple  "Other married siblings were been given homes, now its Joy's turn."  

Doubtful it will be the latter, but there's always a chance TLC will surprise me. There's a first time for everything. 

• Upvote 1

Did they ever come straight out on the show and say that Josh, Jill, Jessa, Joe, and Si were straight up given homes to live in, where as Joy had to wait and Jinger is living off her good looks, or something like that?  It is weird that some kids were given large gifts & others were not.  With the exception of Josh all the marrieds got super lavish wedding (well nicer dresses and venues) and aside from Josh & Jill they all got expensive honeymoons.  I would say Josh got doubled screwed but fuck him he doesn't even deserve Anna he's such a fucking pig. 

I honestly think Joy got this house now because Boob needed to dump some property cheap & fast for tax purposes, after Grandma Mary died, so I think he told Austin "no strings attached, here is a dumpy house for you do do what you want with" and they were all "no strings? Okay".  I get the impression Terry doesn't want Austin under Boobs thumb, he wants him under his, so he advised him against a "free" Duggar home. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

All this discussion about buying houses makes me laugh/cry as I imagine buying a "house" in my neighborhood. A small one-bedroom-plus-office apartment in my building recently sold for $1.3 million, and that wasn't a bad price. ? I know literally 1 person my age in my area who owns property of any sort, so I'm not going to pass judgment on anyone who manages to buy something, no matter how it happens.

• Upvote 25
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Eponine said:

All this discussion about buying houses makes me laugh/cry as I imagine buying a "house" in my neighborhood. A small one-bedroom-plus-office apartment in my building recently sold for $1.3 million, and that wasn't a bad price. ? I know literally 1 person my age in my area who owns property of any sort, so I'm not going to pass judgment on anyone who manages to buy something, no matter how it happens.

No kidding. I desperately desperately want to rent, Rent! Another affordable studio apartment in the Portland metro area. It is a headache.

A one bedroom would be heaven on earth.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, Eponine said:

All this discussion about buying houses makes me laugh/cry

That's me today- my fiance and I may be under contract for our first home by the end of the day today. I simultaneously want to jump around and throw up. It's exciting but very, very, very stressful- and EXPENSIVE! Sheesh.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 8

17 hours ago, Eponine said:

I’m right there with you. Renting a small bedroom (with shared bathroom) is $1500 on a good day. They’re buying houses for way less than people in my area spend on down payments! I won’t knock them, either. They made her grow up in the public eye. The least her wealthy parents can do is give them a house. 

• Upvote 10

So a house in exchange for a childhood, individuality, privacy, anonymity, friends, an education, appropriate life experiences that help to develop appropriate social skills and maturation.

Serious question, what will happen to the empire when JB is no longer able to float / support and make all the hard decisions for all these families? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

So a house in exchange for a childhood, individuality, privacy, anonymity, friends, an education, appropriate life experiences that help to develop appropriate social skills and maturation.

Serious question, what will happen to the empire when JB is no longer able to float / support and make all the hard decisions for all these families? 

We’ll finally get the tell-all books? ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

21 hours ago, Eponine said:

Exactly. I live in a ridiculously overpriced area. The standard subdivision house my parents bought,  in 1970 for $28k - with my grandma living with us and pitching in - would be worth 180k in today’s dollars. Instead houses in that neighborhood - 50 year old , nice but nothing fancy, 1,500 square foot subdivision houses - go for 1.3 million. It’s absolutely insane. 

I’m in my 50’s. I know exactly two people my age who have managed to buy “real” houses in our hometown. Several who moved and bought homes, and a few who’ve bought condos or mobile homes. In people my kids age group - late 20’s to 30 s - the only ones I know of who’ve bought anything have done it by moving away. If they don’t have children of their own very few even live on their own, and several are couch surfing. If I had the money I would certainly help my kids get houses. 

Joy has worked since she was a small child. If she has a house, she earned it. 

• Upvote 4

We know quite a few people that were gifted money for a down payment. We were not, there is no way either of our families would have been able to help us even a little. Both my husband and I went into the military after high school so college was paid for with tuition assistance while on active duty and GI Bill after our enlistment was up. Similarly, we bought our first house without a down payment using a VA loan, then used the equity and profit from selling that home to buy our second house.

I would love to help our kids out when they are adults but it isn't likely to happen unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative suddenly appears and leaves us an inheritance. We have saved a bit for each of them for college, will be happy to have them live at home while they are in school/establishing careers or even maybe cosigning a loan or something. I can also see gifting them x amount of money to use towards a wedding/down payment/paying off a loan, etc... at some point.  But the reality is while we live way better now than either Dh or I did growing up we just don't have a lot of money sitting around apart from our retirement savings. And frankly, I feel we are lucky to have that. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic