IGNORED

Joy & Austin 29: RV Living

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I just thought that they may have started the getting to know you stage when she was seventeen and that’s what he counts as them being together all that time.   That would actually be a pretty long relationship time frame that we haven’t seen from the Duggars. 

But haven't they known each other since childhood? Why would they need such a lengthy getting to know you phase? Either Austin meant to type "19" instead of "17," or we just learned something new about their relationship that maybe we weren't supposed to.

• Upvote 6

Could the length of the getting to know you phase been more on Austin's side? I remember a plot point about how he made a commitment to his father to flip 5 houses before getting engaged to show himself his father and the bride to be that he would be able to provide for them. 

If they started when she was 17 but he still had more houses to flip that could account for the wait. (I know nothing about how long it takes to flip and sell a house)

• Upvote 18

Perhaps Austin noticed Joy, and had a crush on her. He hung around with her older brothers for years, Joy could have caught his eye, she's pretty, out spoken, she loves to "play in the dirt".  She's a country boys dream girlfriend/wife if you think about it. She has no issue getting dirty, living rough, She'll roll in the mud to fix a flat tire (for example), but cleans up into a beautiful woman when needed.  I can see a natural attraction there, with the age difference, though he had to wait until she was old enough to formally court

• Upvote 25

I think the duggars fudged the time line possibly. 
The ep where Joy and the twins graduated, Joy was very evasive and smugly uncommitted/uncomfortable  about what she would do know she is graduated. I thought right then, that she had a fella and would be married soon. 
would she have been about 17 there? 

• Upvote 7

I think Joy and Austin were definitely talking about starting a courtship for a while before they officially started to court and that is why he said since she was 17. She admitted that she wasn't subtle letting him know she liked him. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I'm not sure they did fudge the timeline? They started courting in November 2016 and had a getting-to-know-you period before that. They could have started courting "getting to know each other" right before Joy turned 18, which would be about a year-long getting-to-know-you period, and not unusual given her age and Austin's commitment to flip 5 houses. 

A timeline of, say:

September 2015: pre-courting

November 2016: courting

March 2017: engaged

seems about right.

Edited by singsingsing
clarification
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

13 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I would not go that far. Sounds like just another way of saying he wanted a comfortable modest woman to me and Not like he was going to say he wanted a vain insecure wife is it? 

No, but none of the other Duggar men or inlaws have said anything like "comfortable with herself."  It was a nice break from the usual refrain of "godly", "modest", and "heart for the Lord."

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

Choice of words aside He means the same thing. If Joy had not been those things she  not have appealed to him to him wife. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I'm not sure they did fudge the timeline? They started courting in November 2016 and had a getting-to-know-you period before that. They could have started courting "getting to know each other" right before Joy turned 18, which would be about a year-long getting-to-know-you period, and not unusual given her age and Austin's commitment to flip 5 houses. 

A timeline of, say:

September 2015: pre-courting

November 2016: courting

March 2017: engaged

seems about right.

I remember the discussion on the show being about whether they were together 5 months or 3 months and joy only counted the 3.  Not the 2 months talking. However, apparently he spent a year with JB in discussion before he got the go ahead. So my assumption is that it's all been a little fuzzy. 

• Upvote 1

Imagine being a teenaged girl in 21st century America and your potential suitor has to spend a year in negotiations with your father before he can begin to woo you.

I still don't understand why none of the Duggarlings have walked out at of that prison at around age 17.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Imagine being a teenaged girl in 21st century America and your potential suitor has to spend a year in negotiations with your father before he can begin to woo you.

I still don't understand why none of the Duggarlings have walked out at of that prison at around age 17.

I think the biggest reason is because of the herd mentality. None of them has the ability to functional as an individual, as individuality has been driven out of them.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Choice of words aside He means the same thing. If Joy had not been those things she  not have appealed to him to him wife. 

I kind of disagree, Austin doesn't strike me as the type to want a simpering yes woman for a wife, someone like Jinger or Anna, who will do or be what ever their man wants them to be. I've always gotten a very pragmatic vibe from Austin, and his father, the type of people who, don't suffer fools, and who unabashedly, are what they are, you either like it or you don't. I'm very much like this myself, so I see it others when it is there. These are the people whom you know won't talk shit about you behind your back, they will tell you straight up if they don't like you or if you've pissed them off, I personally find this admirable, other people find it too blunt, or even downright rude.  I very rarely MEAN to be rude, but I'm not prone to subtlety, I'm sure most of you are shocked. :)  

Joy is a lot of things but a push over is not one of them. She came across as very wishy washy and confused during her courting and engagement.  I think she was trying to be what her mom and sisters were telling her to be, a woman who smiles, looks pretty and does what her man wants, as that is what a Godly wife should be in their eyes.  That isn't her, or what Austin wanted in her, and and now that he is her owner headship she is free to be herself more. Within the confines of their cult and her as a woman and he as the master of the house. 

5 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think the biggest reason is because of the herd mentality. None of them has the ability to functional as an individual, as individuality has been driven out of them.

That and fear, they are brought up to fear the outside world, and realizing that they would lose all familial support, all their friends, all their siblings, everything and everyone they know. They would have no system of support, unless they had a friend or other family member that had escaped prior to help them, being the 1st one out has to be terrifying.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 5

So He wants a Godly wife who is a hard worker, doesn't complain or be overly concerned about appearance  but still believes her husband is her headship and will do as he says. 

Seriously, when did this person become so UnFundie and enlightened  he wants a liberated, outspoken wife all of the sudden?  

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

So He wants a Godly wife who is a hard worker, doesn't complain or be overly concerned about appearance  but still believes her husband is her headship and will do as he says. 

Seriously, when did this person become so UnFundie and enlightened  he wants a liberated, outspoken wife all of the sudden?  

The bar for complimenting Duggar husbands is very low, for sure.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4

Every so often people develop pet Fundies or married in Fundie spouses who are somehow better, smarter or more liberal than the rest in their eyes. They will leave the cult!  It was Jinger for the longest, then Jana and even Derick years ago. 

Never lasts. 

• Upvote 9

The girls liked Waiting for Prince Charming, which I think told them that their father would find the right man for them. So they would have unrealistic expectations. Instead of Prince Charming, they got a real human being, warts and all. And they had limited opportunity to get to know each other. If any of these marriages are successful, it's amazing.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

12 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I kind of disagree, Austin doesn't strike me as the type to want a simpering yes woman for a wife, someone like Jinger or Anna, who will do or be what ever their man wants them to be. I've always gotten a very pragmatic vibe from Austin, and his father, the type of people who, don't suffer fools, and who unabashedly, are what they are, you either like it or you don't. I'm very much like this myself, so I see it others when it is there. These are the people whom you know won't talk shit about you behind your back, they will tell you straight up if they don't like you or if you've pissed them off, I personally find this admirable, other people find it too blunt, or even downright rude.  I very rarely MEAN to be rude, but I'm not prone to subtlety, I'm sure most of you are shocked. :)  

I agree with you on this, and I happen to be a person like that too, blunt and often coming off as rude. Just yesterday I got muted on the local pet page on facebook for explaining the law to someone, that legally the dogs they found have to go to the city pound first and then a rescue can pull them and put them out to foster and no there wasn't a rescue would just be like "Sure you keep those puppies but we'll pay all the medical bills", without sending the puppies to one of their approved fosters. That's just not how this works. 

And yes I think Austin does have this same "I am who I am take it or leave it" mentality, but I think he's still going to be a controlling fundie husband because that's just how he was raised. I don't think he's nearly as controlling as JB or the other husbands, and I think he would be miserable with a wife like Jill, who seems to want someone to control her. But I still don't think he wants a wife who can think independently for herself about everything.

I do think he and Joy are the best matched of the married Duggars except for maybe Jessa and Ben (who I admit not to following) or Jinger and Jeremy (who I also don't follow). I think they're a much much better match then Lauren and Josiah, and that were they living in the real world and able to properly date, move in together, have long engagements, get married, and if need be get divorced, they'd be one of the few couples we've seen from the Duggar clan to go through all those motions and still be together. Frankly if Lauren and Josiah were some of my friends and moved as fast as they did and seemed incompatible I'd be thinking "this will be over by christmas". Where as with Austin and Joy I'd think "I'll see their 50th wedding anniversary on social media at some point. 

Edited by Peaches-n-Beans
clarification and grammar mistakes
  • Upvote 13

I also think that they are among the better matched couples. I don't see them leave the cult any time soon though, or have less harmfull believes.

But for the time being i think (hope) they wil have a nicer time together then some of the outher couples who seem very forced like Josiah or just plaine creepy like Josh. And hopefully there child(ren) will benefit from this.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Every so often people develop pet Fundies or married in Fundie spouses who are somehow better, smarter or more liberal than the rest in their eyes. They will leave the cult!  It was Jinger for the longest, then Jana and even Derick years ago. 

Never lasts. 

Go take a lap around jill's thread. Now Derick is going to leave the cult because he works delivering pizzas or something. People just see what they want to see

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Go take a lap around jill's thread. Now Derick is going to leave the cult because he works delivering pizzas or something. People just see what they want to see

hey  man at least he works. Come to think of it, do ANY duggar couples work outside of the cult except for Derick? I don't know if what Jeremy is doing is considered outside the cult but like hey it's outside the family. I don't think they'll be leaving the cult but I do think they're less involved in it by sheer virtue of Derick clearly not getting on with JB

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

And yes I think Austin does have this same "I am who I am take it or leave it" mentality, but I think he's still going to be a controlling fundie husband because that's just how he was raised. I don't think he's nearly as controlling as JB or the other husbands, and I think he would be miserable with a wife like Jill, who seems to want someone to control her. But I still don't think he wants a wife who can think independently for herself about everything.

I do think he and Joy are the best matched of the married Duggars except for maybe Jessa and Ben (who I admit not to following) or Jinger and Jeremy (who I also don't follow). I think they're a much much better match then Lauren and Josiah, and that were they living in the real world and able to properly date, move in together, have long engagements, get married, and if need be get divorced, they'd be one of the few couples we've seen from the Duggar clan to go through all those motions and still be together. Frankly if Lauren and Josiah were some of my friends and moved as fast as they did and seemed incompatible I'd be thinking "this will be over by christmas". Where as with Austin and Joy I'd think "I'll see their 50th wedding anniversary on social media at some point. 

ITA with everything you said, this is what I was TRYING to say, re the bolded, he wanted a wife who knows her mind but also knows her place.

I'm not under any delusion that Austin or any of these headship will lead to any liberal feminist lifestyles, I was just pointing out I think Joy and Austin could be have been the most natural "couple" of all of them. Him not minding if she picks out his clothes, or what they eat for dinner is not the same as her being able to wear pants if she wants (and she isn't) or going to school and having a career if that is what she wants. She isn't getting any more education she isn't getting a job other than as Austin's assistant. He just didn't want a woman who would ask him every morning what he would like her to wear, and how should she do her hair. 

• Upvote 10

ANOTHER, USWeekly article?? I feel like we didn't used to get this many tabloid articles until recently. 

Joy-Anna Duggar Is Giving Her Body ‘Time to Heal’ Before Trying to Conceive After Miscarriage

Article Text:

Spoiler

Joy-Anna Forsyth (née Duggar) and Austin Forsyth are taking things slow after her July miscarriage.

“We want to be wise and give my body time to heal,” the 19 Kids and Counting alum, 22, exclusively tells Us Weekly in this week’s issue when asked if she and the pilot, 25, want another baby. “But we are excited for the children that God’s going to give us and can’t wait. I don’t know if four is the number. I mean, I would be fine with a few more if that’s what God wants us to have.”

Joy-Anna, who gave birth to son Gideon, now 20 months, in February 2018, posted photos with her stillborn daughter in a July Instagram post. “We named her Annabell Elise,” she wrote at the time. “Annabell means ‘God has favored me,’ and Elise means ‘God satisfies. What a precious thing to know that when our daughter opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was the face of Jesus.”

The Counting On stars have been healing from their loss with the help of their family members. “Austin’s family was a huge blessing,” Joy-Anna tells Us. “They would help keep Gideon so we could have some alone time. My parents and my siblings were there for me. They would come and bring us meals and food and just give us encouraging words. My mom would write down scripture for me and post it everywhere. We had a lot of support.”

Her husband, though, is her “anchor,” the TLC personality reveals. “He was reminding me, ‘OK babe, remember, not only are you grieving and stuff, but your hormones are changing and your emotions.’ He was just there to support me.”

The couple, who wed in 2017, plan to keep Annabell’s memory alive with a headstone on Austin’s family’s property. “We’ll be able to go out there and visit her and where we buried her,” Joy-Anna explains. “That’s going to be something special because a lot of our important things in life have happened there. We got engaged, we started dating and now we have her there. That’s just a really special spot.”

For more on the TLC personalities’ family life, scroll through Joy-Anna’s maternity shoot and check out this week’s issue of Us Weekly, on newsstands now.

Lean In

“That definitely brought us closer,” the Arkansas native says of her miscarriage.

First Look

“Just like we celebrated Gideon's birth and took pictures and remembered that occasion, I wanted to do that with [Annabell],” Joy-Anna tells Us of her photo shoot. “My best friend came into town and I asked her if she could do my makeup and hair and so that we would have some really nice pictures because this was the only time I was going to be able to hold her. I just wanted it to be special and a celebration of her life.”

Major Moment

She adds, “It was very short. We got some very special pictures and those are the things that we're able to look back on and remember for the rest of our lives.”

Perfect Present

When the reality star misses her daughter, she looks at the gold necklace her sister-in-law gifted her, telling Us, “I have not taken it off the whole time.”

Moving On

While the pair have been living in a "cramped" camper for a year and a half, they recently purchased a house.

Step Up

They’re hoping to move in before Christmas.

The article has her solo pictures from the group maternity shoot.

• Thank You 16

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic