IGNORED

Joy & Austin 29: RV Living

Coconut Flan

On 11/14/2019 at 4:43 AM, VBOY9977 said:

Joy got bangs!

It also looks like her hair is darker but she commented that she’s never dyed it. I’m jealous of her natural highlights.

D27D8C8F-1CF8-4EB4-AF34-F5879A048954.jpeg

She looks more like Michelle here.

It's as if she's become a different person ever since losing Annabelle. It's as if something clicked in her, and now she's more in charge than she'd previously been. As if the gravity and weight of the situation made her re-evaluate her life and react. Remember that Joy spent the last few years in a highly repressed mode. More than other sisters, she was forced to squash her personality, her uniqueness, choices and wants in order to be accepted by her family. She was saddled with lots of guilt and shame. It's relieving to see her in such a (seemingly) better place.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

16 minutes ago, mstee said:

And they paid ten whole dollars for it, and another ten for the adjacent plot of land. Way easier to get started in home-owning when daddy will sell you a place ten bucks.

• Upvote 25

Considering she’s been working seemingly unpaid for her family, for the majority of her life, she earned this house. In fact, the “Duggar Trust” should pay for the whole remodel. It’s her money. 

Yes, they aren’t afraid of hard work. I’m happy for her. They are one couple who will appreciate it. 

• Upvote 41
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Considering all the other kids got move in ready homes right after marriage (except J&D but they had full use of 2 really nice homes), and J & A waited a year and a half and had to completely remodel the inside of the home, they weren't exactly handed anything, in comparison to her siblings.  But yeah it is pretty nice to get a house from mom and dad for $10. Sounds like they will be neighbors with the Dill and Amy. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

The house is on one side of Amy, the land from Mary on the other. It's also noteworthy that Amy's house was one of Mary's properties. I never looked into the details of the sale to Amy, but I imagine Amy got it quite cheaply.

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 16
  • Love 1

The $10 could just be to transfer the title. They could have paid Jim Bob directly. He could put the money in one of his many accounts. Jim Bob is not known for being honest with finances.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

42 minutes ago, marmalade said:

The house is on one side of Amy, the land from Mary on the other. It's also noteworthy that Amy's house was one of Mary's properties. I never looked into the details of the sale to Amy, but I imagine Amy got it quite cheaply.

If she’s neighbors with Amy, maybe that will do her some good. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Amy's deed states "one dollar and other good and valuable consideration" but the taxes were based on a sale price of $130,000.

There's no tax information on Joy and Austin's house yet but the estimated market value is $105,650 for the house and $58,250 for the vacant land. I also noticed that their deed was prepared by Bob Ballinger. 

• Upvote 8

Can't snark on that, I'd usually roll my eyes at grandduggars selling a house to their kid for 10$, but Joy deserves every break she can catch right now.

Living in an RV with a toddler, especially in winter would be stressful, maybe decorating her own house takes her mind off things a bit too.

Amy and Joy were always close, having her as a neighbour will be good for Joy. I can see Amy going : "Enough, you need a girl's night!"

• Upvote 16

Joy and Austin are not the first young couple to be gifted a house by parents and they won't be the last. It's 100% a Duggar thing to do which makes it easily snarkable. But I'm not going to read to much into it. Plus like @DarkAnts and @Pretzel pointed out we don't have enough details to know if it was really given to them for $10 if that was just to transfer the title etc. 

1 hour ago, squiddysquid said:

Amy and Joy were always close, having her as a neighbour will be good for Joy. I can see Amy going : "Enough, you need a girl's night!"

I'm picturing Joy and Amy drinking margaritas and doing each others nails and it's hilarious.

• Upvote 11

Totally unrelated but somehow I dreamt about Joy last night. In my dream Austin died and I felt really bad for her.

Until I read this tread I was not sure if it was true or not (it is 08.30 here now) 

• Upvote 1

Wait, we're giving them a pass on this, because Joy had a stillbirth?

Doesn't change the fact that her "We bought a house!" post is fundamentally disingenuous. Nowhere did she acknowledge that the house purchase was on extremely favourable terms from her parents. It's just more of the Duggars promoting a fake lifestyle; that post was clearly made to make us think they were buying it themselves. Leave and cleave, financial independence, debt free... It's all bollocks, smoke and mirrors, lying by omission. 

• Upvote 18
  • Downvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1

I like her bangs, I think it suits her.  I wonder if she will keep it, not like Jessa who had bangs and soon went back to her old style.

More importantly  than the bangs is that I think Joy dealing with  her miscarriage  is worlds apart from Lauren. The difference is huge. Joy and Austin seem to be there for each other.

I'm glad they will be living in a house at least for a while. 

• Upvote 9

Years long lurker first time poster. In Texas you don’t have to record the price that you paid for a property. It can be listed even as 1$ and other considerations. Could be the same in Arkansas?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Once it was (mostly) confirmed by Derick that JB has the contract for the show and gives out the money, I stopped feeling like the kids were mooching by accepting houses since they’ve had most of their childhoods filmed without actual monetary compensation. Now that doesn’t take away from the fact that I feel like some of the kids are lazy and don’t work hard and lack skills or that JB and Michelle are ridiculous to insinuate that their kids are completely self sufficient once they marry. But do I think getting a house from JB is too much? Nope. I think the thing that is most frustrating is watching JB and Michelle lie over and over about their values and put on a facade like they don’t help their kids out or don’t evade taxes. 

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 3

53 minutes ago, mstee said:

Once it was (mostly) confirmed by Derick that JB has the contract for the show and gives out the money, I stopped feeling like the kids were mooching by accepting houses since they’ve had most of their childhoods filmed without actual monetary compensation. Now that doesn’t take away from the fact that I feel like some of the kids are lazy and don’t work hard and lack skills or that JB and Michelle are ridiculous to insinuate that their kids are completely self sufficient once they marry. But do I think getting a house from JB is too much? Nope. I think the thing that is most frustrating is watching JB and Michelle lie over and over about their values and put on a facade like they don’t help their kids out or don’t evade taxes. 

Yes to all of this. #1 I don’t think minors should ever be involved in the labor force without proper, mandated protections in place for their health, safety, money earned and educational time. So no daddy profiting off the kids’ labor. #2 If daddy has a public platform to spew lies and inconsistencies for years on end, I think it’s perfectly appropriate for the masses who witness such to hold daddy’s feet to the fire. Unlike other public figures who have specific talents that people pay to see or be entertained by, these folks have literally sold themselves and their way of life to the public for easy money. JB’s tactics are dangerous. And Joy proclaiming that she and Austin bought a house is an example of skirting the truth...apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. IMO, it’s irresponsible to proclaim that very limited education, working for others, or perhaps at all, should be avoided, young marriage to people you barely know is best and supporting rampant reproduction all while actively working to limit the rights of others who do not believe as you do... are all horrid and dangerous notions. All of this is a recipe for disaster. So when I see inconsistencies, I think these folks should be held accountable, and called out.

This is not debt free living. This is the kids working, daddy getting the paycheck and putting the proceeds into his personal bank, and then JB doling it out. He is daddy war bucks. Maybe the original intention was for the kids to leave and cleave, but with the demise of that original show, and in the face of a ever expanding family, perhaps  JB needs the continued income stream and control. He needs his labor market, and at this point, no Duggar is leaving and cleaving. I wonder if the Dillards have been cashed out with money for both tuition and the new home?

Of course Joy has worked hard enough to have a home. But that doesn’t negate my previous assertions.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 19

I clearly have many thoughts on this issue. Personally, I hate liars, users, scammers, swordsmithers, and those whose behaviors barely skirt legal. IMO, JB Duggar is and does all of these things. Having a gaggle of kids that you cannot solely provide for on your own volition, and then selling that lifestyle is wrong; unethical and immoral. Expecting freebies and special consideration because of your family size is wrong and indicative of a lack of integrity. Working the system is not a legitimate job or source of income, or at least it shouldn’t be. Remember when JB and M were taking the herd to “kids eat free” nights at restaurants to the point where local businesses stopped having those   Events? People like this ruin things for everyone. If everyone followed JB’s plan it would be to the detriment of our society.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Wait, we're giving them a pass on this, because Joy had a stillbirth?

Doesn't change the fact that her "We bought a house!" post is fundamentally disingenuous. Nowhere did she acknowledge that the house purchase was on extremely favourable terms from her parents. It's just more of the Duggars promoting a fake lifestyle; that post was clearly made to make us think they were buying it themselves. Leave and cleave, financial independence, debt free... It's all bollocks, smoke and mirrors, lying by omission. 

No, I think a lot of folks are just looking at the bigger picture of Joy has had a shittastick year, living in an RV with a toddler and husband, while working manual labor and caring for said toddler. While her siblings are sitting around filming stupid TLC shots and going on vacations. Also, her married brothers and sisters were basically given homes in move in condition upon marriage, she was NOT giving this. 

Then she had a still birth and is dealing with 4 siblings having little girls at around the same time she was due. So fuck it, cult or no cult if her parents wanted to give her a huge present just to make her happy they fucking can, this happens in and out of cults. 

Lastly, her and Austin are essentially rebuilding a house they seemingly paid $10 for, most people call this sweat equity, in that JB bought the house, what 10 years ago?He never got around to remodeling it, so he "sells" it to someone for pennies on the dollar and they have to deal with all the problems on the property now. Its a nice end of the year tax write off for him. 

• Upvote 27
  • Love 7

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I clearly have many thoughts on this issue. Personally, I hate liars, users, scammers, swordsmithers, and those whose behaviors barely skirt legal. IMO, JB Duggar is and does all of these things. 

(I have never heard this term. What does it mean?)

• I Agree 2

43 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

No, I think a lot of folks are just looking at the bigger picture of Joy has had a shittastick year, living in an RV with a toddler and husband, while working manual labor and caring for said toddler. While her siblings are sitting around filming stupid TLC shots and going on vacations. Also, her married brothers and sisters were basically given homes in move in condition upon marriage, she was NOT giving this. 

Then she had a still birth and is dealing with 4 siblings having little girls at around the same time she was due. So fuck it, cult or no cult if her parents wanted to give her a huge present just to make her happy they fucking can, this happens in and out of cults. 

Lastly, her and Austin are essentially rebuilding a house they seemingly paid $10 for, most people call this sweat equity, in that JB bought the house, what 10 years ago?He never got around to remodeling it, so he "sells" it to someone for pennies on the dollar and they have to deal with all the problems on the property now. Its a nice end of the year tax write off for him. 

I don't have issue with any of them taking a house off Jim Bob and Michelle for next to nothing, they chose to start putting all the children on TV and have profited from it. Austin and Joy do a lot more work than most of the other Duggar's combined and the house will do all 3 of them good. 

• Upvote 14

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic