• Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 109: Tapping Our Toes for an Engagement

Spent
ViolaSebastian
54 minutes ago, FeministShrew said:

Poor Nathan just looks confused.

He can totally come over and join the club. There's a lot of us here. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 29
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

wallysmommy
Posted (edited)

Is there a rule that says Nurkel can't be within 6 feet of one another?  At the table, they are separated by half the tribe.  Playing the game they are giving each other a wide distance.  Yes, the kids' reaction is bizarre when Jill tramples through the field to aggravate them by taking videos.  For what purpose?  She could have had them all say hi when they were gathered up to entertain.

I watched a bunch of British history documentaries this week on YouTube.  I could see Jill parading Nurie in front of the king hoping for a royal match.  In the end, Jill would be either poisoned or headless.

Edited by wallysmommy
  • Upvote 15
  • Haha 7
  • Love 2

pook
5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Can I come live with you? I'll bring my five machines, including the 30s electrified Singer... my mother traded in her treadle machine in the 60s for an electrified Singer... I haven't gotten over it yet..

Me too!  I will bring my 2 Singer Featherweights, Singer 99 K, serger, Brother 6000, 2 vintage turquoise Singers in pristine condition along with my 7 vintage irons to press seams.  Oh and wine too.

Unlike Jill's banjo, my machines sew for real with actual thread.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 8
  • Love 4

Wine time!
Spanger

Whoa, stringless banjo.  My brain almost can’t accept this, because it’s just so bizarre.  Like, even if they are all going to fake play their instruments, wouldn’t it be easier to just leave the strings on?  Taking them off is an extra level of work.  I could maybe see it if they were in the middle of fixing an instrument and the strings just happened to be off, but....  I mean, they have a lot of different instruments, they could just fake play a not-broken one.  And how are the strings going to be off EVERY SINGLE INSTRUMENT.

Despite the overwhelming evidence of many multiple screen shots and that the instruments do, indeed, truly appear to be stringless in the pictures, I just can’t accept it.  I could accept the idea that they are fake-playing sometimes, or air-playing to their own recordings, but not that they would take videos of themselves air playing stringless instruments to an audience of their own family.  This like, has to be some shared FJ group optical illusion or something.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

thoughtful
1 minute ago, Spanger said:

And how are the strings going to be off EVERY SINGLE INSTRUMENT.

There are clearly strings on the bass and guitar. It just really looks like there are none on the banjo, and maybe one black wire on the violin. But who knows?

Waffle Time
Beermeet

Nathan is the only of his clan there?  I wonder how he really felt. At home, loving it or did he feel this is a strange family.  He really is the only younger person there with a normal body weight.  The Rodlets are so thin and have an unhealthy pallor.  It's even more noticeable when other people outside the family are near them. 

The lack of strings are distracting. I agree with whoever said it's super unlikely but, the evidence suggests otherwise.  Maybe Jill really did have a ploy to attract people or did this stunt to make it seem like a better time than it was.  It really makes no sense!

Those poor kids. Jill totally scares them.  Can they ever just relax and have a good time?  I wonder if Jill says things like " we will show them what they are missing!  Act super happy. Also kids, we're going to fake play our instruments to music that sounds better than what you can play."  Maybe she took the strings offvso no one could accidentally play. 

Naga Viper
4 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

If they were playing to background music that could explain the instruments not having strings. Still seems stupid, though. J-rod is now the Milli Vanilli of fundies.

Buh-buh-buh-buh, buh-buh-buh-baby, don't forget my Plexus!

I vote for a thread name change to "Jilli Vanilli." That's too good not to be used.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

HarryPotterFan

Jill in that video:

Spoiler

8c1f78751537106dd62d988f5041dd29a704c60c

Jill when someone she knows finally calls her out on this

Spoiler

C8FE8ED7-FF76-4258-BC8E-3EE5C5B2A66F.gif.dfd6bf4eb05823eab6ce0f8977daac2a.gif

Happy
PennySycamore

@FeministShrew, my brother taught himself to play 5-string banjo by listening to Earl Scruggs and other bluegrass banjo greats but slowing the speed of the records down from 33 1/3 to 16 rpm. He did have fingering charts and maybe some sheet music, but it was mostly the records slowed down.   That was easy to do in the old days when people had stereos.  And he practiced and practiced.  He got pretty good.  Now he plays the fiddle.

Meh
Dandruff
35 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Maybe Jill really did have a ploy to attract people or did this stunt to make it seem like a better time than it was.

I think it makes sense, in an insane sort of way.

She's presumably going to want lots of warm, modestly-dressed bodies with $$s to witness the joining of the Hydrangeas and she just said she plans another picnic next year and wants us all to come.  I'm not sure why she'd think that particular performance would sway the masses but I'm also not sure about most of what she does.

While we're at it, why is she inviting people to next year's picnic if they're planning to move?  At the least one would expect her to indicate where the picnic will be...right?

I wonder if any studies have been done regarding the prolonged use of MLM products on mental health.

Waffle Time
mango_fandango

I’m pretty sure I can see something on the violin, there’s at least one string on it.

Waffle Time
Beermeet

In the beginning of the video, the harmonica is very visually present but not the sound. At the end, I can hear a bit of it.  Can't be helped while fake playing, by a kid no less.  I really think strings are off or few because it would be really hard to not accidentally play.  So freaking weird!  Nathan had to be like "WTF!"

Waffle Time
Hane
4 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

(Well, darn. I accidentally hit Quote again.)

Thanks, Jill, for *nearly* ruining hydrangeas for me. They’ve always been a favorite in my family (my grandpa grew them, and treated the soil so that one huge bush had pink flowers on one side, blue on the other, and lavender in the middle).

Granwych

Maybe next year the picnic can feature music played on various saws, which can also be used to build the happy couple (if indeed Nurkel happens)   hell, everyone can bring assorted tools.  Imagine hearing "If I had a Hammer"  while everyone present brandished his or hers?

Oy, the images that come to mind of a Rod wedding!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • Love 4

Aggravated
Okie_Bokie
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Maybe Jill really did have a ploy to attract people or did this stunt to make it seem like a better time than it was.  It really makes no sense!

This situation has been bugging me and I have a theory which relates to what @Beermeet wrote.

The Rods ordinarily play in churches and at tent revivals, where people know pretty much what to expect from them, because the standard is low.  At this home school event, maybe Jill was expecting different kinds of folks who might be expecting something, I don't know...better, or different than the Rods' usual numbers, if they were even expecting music at all.  To try to impress/appeal to the people Jill hoped would come (but who didn't), she wanted different music.  Certainly not secular, but more like bluegrass.  The Rods didn't have the skills or the practice time to pull something like that together, so instead they used a recording and "played" several instruments without strings.  No strings means nobody goofs up. 

TL;DR - Jill was hoping for new people to attend and so pretended to play different music with a wider appeal

Edited by Okie_Bokie
grammar & wording

Waffle Time
Beermeet
Posted (edited)

@Okie_Bokie I think you're on the right track!  I can see that. However,  what I can't get over is the no strings being obvious.  It's just the Rods at that picnic area so, no one would be the wiser on the fringes of that.  What if people did come though, than what?  Plus, Nathan is there. That makes this even stranger.  Is Jill really thinking he wouldn't notice or be ok with the deception?  Idk, man. 

ETA: what's the headcount on non-Rods? Nathan, Amy's and......where are Amy's kids? Am I getting the twins mixed up? 

Edited by Beermeet

Wrexus

Why do they both have pillows in their laps?

I've got questions. 

Screenshot_20190825-202913_Instagram.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Haha 21
  • I Agree 5

Aggravated
Okie_Bokie
6 minutes ago, Wrexus said:

Why do they both have pillows in their laps?

There's no pillow bush for them to pose in?

JesusPony
Posted (edited)

It might be better to leave that question unanswered. 😬 

ETA: They're almost touching. NIKE!

Edited by JesusPony
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 15
  • Love 2

Wrexus

Also, they are almost touching. *gasp*. There better be an engagement announcement or something. Before, you know, they hold hands or something. 

Waffle Time
Beermeet
Posted (edited)

Nurie looks like she is wearing a 1930's dressing gown.  Pillows hide Mr. Happy making his presence known?  I can't help but think it's a preemptive strike!  Nurie gets one too so it seems like no biggie.  Makes me think of Austin when he was on " World's strictest parents ". He saw stockinged legs and grabbed a pillow fast!   Gross. 

Edited by Beermeet
  • Upvote 21
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Love 1

Wrexus
4 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Nurie looks like she is wearing a 1930's dressing gown.  Pillows hide Mr. Happy making his presence known?  I can't help but think it's a preemptive strike!  Nurie gets one too so it seems like no biggie.  Makes me think of Austin when he was on " World's strictest parents ". He saw stockinged legs and grabbed a pillow fast!   Gross. 

I was just going to say something about the gown. I used to do a lot of home care and pretty much every 80 year old lady had one of these in various colors in the back of the closet

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Meh
Dandruff
19 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Pillows hide Mr. Happy making his presence known?

Mr. Happy must be Mr. Desperate if Anna Duggar's brother is willing to stick it out this far (no pun intended) at the Rod (omg) house.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 31
  • Love 4

HarryPotterFan
24 minutes ago, Wrexus said:

I was just going to say something about the gown. I used to do a lot of home care and pretty much every 80 year old lady had one of these in various colors in the back of the closet

Yeah my grandma definitely wore something similar 

10 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Mr. Happy must be Mr. Desperate if Anna Duggar's brother is willing to stick it out this far (no pun intended) at the Rod (omg) house.

I’m laughing, barfing, and crying at the same time